Butler County, Alabama
Contributed by Mildred Stinson Brown.
Survey Listing 1 and Survey Listing 2
|Lost Prairie Church. Cemetery Marker reads: Established by volunteers in 1846.
Sponsoring group formed about 1900. According to legend, a man lost in the surrounding woods
named the site when he stumbled onto the prairie. The graves of many early settlers include Azariah G Moore,
a soldier in the Texas War for Independence. First officials of the cemetery association were Jeff Rambo,
Chairman, and Beulah Holloway, Secretary. Successors include Dan Doyl, Jake Hudson, W C Jackson, Bill
Kennedy, L? M Kennedy, Joe Lansford, Cliff Sims and J D? Sims. Others helping in preservation of site
were R L Dossey, J A Easterling, W K Hardison, W L Henderson, A B Sims, L? E? Sims, J J Sims, J L Sims and
R A Sims. Others have served as caretakers since the grounds were opened, among them George Henry,
J N Henry and Bill Sims.
Baptist Church was situated here about 1850. Present building is fourth structure to serve as a church. First pastor was Rev. William Clark. Founding members included the Deavers?, Browns, Easterlings, Gregorys, Henrys, Kennedys, Lansfords, Mortons, Rambos, Sandifers, Shugarts, Sims, Summers, Thompsons and Waylands. One early church member, A J Rogers, was named a deacon after returning from the Civil War. Landowners donated the original eight-acre site.
|Lost Prairie Cemetery|
Page updated 16 Sep 2006.