Butler County, Alabama

Georgiana, Alabama

Written by Mildred Stinson Brown

Although it was originally called Pittsville for Rev. Pitt S. Milner, he chose to call it Georgiana, the combined name of his home state of Georgia, and his daughter, Anna.

Some of the photos may be enlarged by clicking on them, but a few are already at their maximum size and the resolution is too low for enlargement.

Georgiana postcard from 1910
Postcard of Georgiana 1910
(photo at max size)

[Photo courtesy of Jerry Reeves.]

Downtown Georgiana

Downtown Georgiana
(photo at max size)
These are some old photos of the downtown area of Georgiana. The right photo is the front of Durham's Store. Can anyone identify the stores and their owners in the left photo? [Photos courtesy of Mildred Stinson Brown]
İLinda Bratcher McGuire,1999
Georgiana's First Post Office
İLinda Bratcher McGuire,1999
Georgiana's 2nd Post Office:
Georgiana residents stand proudly in front of the first post office to serve the town. The date of this photo is unknown. The first man on the left has been identified as Gabe Sellers. The man standing to the left of the utility pole is said to be a Black, and the man standing to the right of the pole is supposedly a Thigpen. [Photo courtesy Fayth Black.] The building, located on the corner of the main street that runs parallel to the railroad tracks, is said to be the second post office building to serve Georgiana. It was just across from the old L&N depot, and across from what used to be Turnipseed Drugstore. At one time it was home of the Garner Drugstore. According to the sign, it now appears to be an insurance agency. The red brick structure is typical of most of the business district of Georgiana. [Photo by Linda Bratcher McGuire]
İMildred Stinson Brown, 1994
Georgiana Gin
Above is a photo of what remains of the old Georgiana Gin. In its day, hundreds of bales were cotton passed through its mill. Cotton was a major agriculture crop in Butler County. Another prominent field crop was tobacco. [Photo courtesy of Mildred Stinson Brown]
İButler County News, Georgiana, AL, 1925
Downtown Georgiana, 1925
Taken from the east side of the railroad tracks, this photo appears to have been taken from the vicinity of the current location of the bank. [Photo courtesy of Butler County News]
İButler County News, Georgiana, AL, 1948
Georgiana L & N Depot
The above photo is a reproduction of the local depot taken in 1948 as it appeared in the Butler County News. It served the community as prominent landmark for Georgiana for many years. The L & N Line was sold, and the structure stood vacant for many years. Part of it was torn down and the remainder was covered in brick. It was rented out as a cafe, a community center, and several other stores. Once again, this building stands empty.  [Photo courtesy of Fayth Black]
İButler County News, Georgiana, AL, 1952
Downtown Georgiana, 1952
Taken from the overhead walk above the railroad tracks, shows Georgiana as a vibrant town. [Photo courtesy of Butler County News]
İMildred L. Brown, 1986
Old Engine14
İMildred L. Brown,1996
CSX Railroad
Railroading has always played an important part in the history of Georgiana and Butler County. For years Engine 14 stood in a roadside park on State Hwy 31 just north of Georgiana. The engine was used by the W. T. Smith Lumber Co. to haul lumber to various sawmills and yards owned by the company. Upon retirement, it was placed in the roadside part as a monument to those who worked in the counties forest cutting and milling lumber. Though the engine was used entirely in Butler County all its servicable years, it was moved to a railroad museum near Troy in a neighboring county. It has been missed.[Photo courtesy of Mildred Stinson Brown] The railroad tracks that run through the middle of Georgiana may be without a depot, but they are still play a major role in the town. Used mostly as a switching yard now, the railroad still provides many jobs for area residents. There are no passenger trains anymore, but at times you will see quite a few crew members walking these tracks just as they did when the old L & N stopped to pick up passengers from the depot. [Photo courtesy of Mildred Stinson Brown]
İLinda Bratcher McGuire,1999
Nightingale Uniform Factory
İLinda Bratcher McGuire,1999
Taylor's Mercantile
This factory has been in Georgiana since the early 1940's and perhaps before. It was owned by Tilford Blackmon. It is now owned by his children. Mr. Blackmon had four children: Juanita, Patricia, Bryant, and Charles. The red brick building behind the factory used to be a cafe. Some of the people that worked there were Ila Stinson Snead, Mr. & Mrs. Ashford Matthews, Mrs. Mae Booker, Mrs. Marjorie Davis, Mrs. Grady Newton, Mrs. Robie Sanford, Mrs. Odis Moore (sister to Mr. Blackmon), Miss Gloria Mae Davis, Mrs. Christine Davis, Fayth Booker, Lucile Smith, Mrs. Evelyn Lee Sirmon, Mrs. Pearlie Bee Smith Sirmon.[Photo by Linda Bratcher McGuire]

Addendum, 10 Jun 2007:  John Watts would like to add the name of his Aunt Elizabeth Kendrick, who worked there from some time in the 1950's until its close.

Taylor's Food Market and Mercantile was owned by Oliver Taylor. The grocery store used to send out "The Rolling Store", a portable grocery that serviced rural areas in the county. It is now owned by his daughter, Joyce and her husband, Albert Morris Middleton, formerly of Garland. Mrs. Bessie Hicks worked there a long time. James Bush worked there as a boy in the 40's and believe he still works there. My mother, Lucile Smith, bought her first slack suit there about 1945. Her last dress bought in Alabama was purchased there just before we came to Texas in 1950. It cost $16.00. The same dress now would probably cost $50.00.

The building to the right of the Taylor building used to be the Citizens Bank. Sue Henderson worked there in the 1940's. Virginia Black Gandy worked there for many years, probably until she died or retired. She was married to Lester Gandy. It is the Whitney Bank of Georgiana now. [Photo by Linda Bratcher McGuire]

İLucile Smith Stinson, 2001 -- sorry, photo is currently missing
Georgiana Theatre
The newly remodeled old theatre. The railroad tracks are in the immediate foreground. [Photo courtesy of Lucile Smith Stinson]
İLucile Smith Stinson İLucile Smith Stinson
Georgiana High School
The lithograph above was taken for the 1947 GHS diploma of Alma Lucile Smith. The 50th class reunion honoring this graduating class was held in June 1997. This school building is still being used today. [Photos courtesy of Lucile Stinson]
İMildred Stinson, 1996
Hank Williams Museum
(photo at max size)

Hank
(photo at max size)
Georgiana claims perhaps the most legendary country western singer of all time, Hank Williams [right], as one of it's own. The city hosts the Hank Williams Days Celebration the first Saturday in June each year. The house above is his boyhood home. It now houses the Hank Williams Museum. [Photo courtesy of Mildred Stinson Brown]

Contact Butler County
website coordinator
Return to Butler
County home page

Page updated 2 Mar 2009.