Chambers County AlGenWeb - Photographs

Chambers County Courthouse 1834 - 1899
On April 3, 2003, the lead box placed behind the Chambers County Courthouse Cornerstone in 1899,
was opened after being sealed away for 104 years. This photograph was placed in the box by
LaFayette citizen S. G. Burke, with the following information written on back:
Commenced in 1834
Completed in 1836
Taken down in 1899
Photographed during a snow
in January, 1899
The building on the left is the
Probate and Clerk's Office
The building (courthouse) was put up by
Joshua Mitchell
This view is from the southwest corner of the courthouse known as the G. E. Collins corner.

Contributed by Don Clark Nov 2003

Back to Chambers County AlGenweb