E. H. Botsford, who is president of the Glendale Foothills Improvement Association, was born at Little Rock, Arkansas, November 11, 1876, a son of Jefferson G. and Charlotte (Henry) Botsford. His father was a native of Michigan and came to Arkansas with Steel’s army during the Civil War. After the war he located at Little Rock and became a leading citizen. In 1872 he was elected mayor of Little Rock. His occupation there was banking, being identified with the Bank of Commerce as a director and active in its management. Mr. Botsford’s maternal grandfather, James A. Henry, was a native of Massachusetts. He came to Little Rock in 1848, and was a pioneer merchant. He became very prominent in Masonry and for many years was the Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge of F. & A. M., for the state of Arkansas, and at the time of his death, in 1898, was one of the active thirty-third degree Masons in the United States.
Mr. Botsford has two sisters and one brother. The sisters are Harriett E. and Lottie, both residents of Little Rock, the latter being the wife of George Spencer. The brother is George T. of San Antonio, Texas. Mr. Botsford graduated from the grammar and high schools of Little Rock, and then for twenty years was a navigator on the Arkansas and Mississippi Rivers, at first employed by others, but later as a partner of Fred A. Morgan, became owner and operator of several steamboats.
He has paid five visits to California prior to coming to the state, in 1918, to make it his home. After visiting several localities he decided on Glendale and purchased a ten-acre tract on Glendale Road, where he has since resided. The acreage is devoted chiefly to oranges and walnuts. His interest in local affairs is pronounced. He was a member of the Grand View Improvement Association until that organization was absorbed by the Glendale Foothill Improvement Association, of which organization he is president.
Mr. Botsford married Margurita Banta Nicholas, a native of Indiana. Mrs. Botsford is a member of the Tuesday Afternoon Club. Mr. and Mrs. Botsford are members of the Glendale Music Club.
From History of Glendale and Vicinity by John Calvin Sherer. The Glendale Publishing Company, c. 1922 F. M. Broadbooks and J. C. Sherer. Pg. 441.