Dr. H. R. Boyer, one of Glendale’s prominent physicians, was born in Accident, Garret County, Maryland. He is one of twelve children—his father, ninety-one years of age, is still living. Dr. Boyer took a four-year course in medicine and surgery at the University of Maryland, graduating in1903. He was an intern in the profession in his native town until 1908, when he came to California on a vacation, and being favorably impressed, decided to make this state his home. He returned to Maryland and closed his business there. After taking a post graduate course at Bellevue Hospital in New York and at the Policlinic in Chicago he returned to California and, passing the State Medical Board examinations, opened an office in Oakland in 1909. He remained there until 1911, when he came to Los Angeles and entered the County Hospital for postgraduate work. After spending eighteen months in this institution he came to Glendale and has had offices in the First National Bank building since the time of its completion in 1913. In 1917, Dr. Boyer went East and again took post graduate work at John Hopkins; also at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
is a life member of 1289, B.P.O.E., a Knights Templar Mason, and holds a life
membership in Al Malaihah Shrine. He
belongs to the Los Angeles County Medical Association, and is a member of the American
Medical Association, and of the Glendale Medical Club, of which he was
President for the year 1921. In Los
From History of Glendale and Vicinity by John Calvin Sherer. The Glendale Publishing Company, c. 1922 F. M. Broadbooks and J. C. Sherer. p. 413.