††††††† Henry M. Butts, of the Monarch Auto Supply Company, is a native of Russell, Iowa. He was born October 1, 1870, a son of Lucien S. and Margaret (Young) Butts. His parents were natives of Alleghany County, New York, and of old Yankee stock. His father was a dry goods merchant in Cuba, New York, prior to his enlisting in the Eighty-fifth New York Infantry, in 1861. He served for the duration of the war and was advanced to the rank of Captain. He was incarcerated in Libby and other prisons. After the war, like many other Civil War veterans, he chose to seek new fields of activity and, accordingly, went to Iowa, where he settled and became a successful farmer. He was an active member of the Grand Army of the Republic.
††††††† Mr. Burns was reared on his fatherís farm, attended the common schools, and at the age of seventeen, went to Mexico City for twenty-five years, and became prominent in the business life of the city. In 1897 he founded to Excelsior Lumber & Manufacturing Company. This in time grew to be a large business, and consisted of a retail lumberyard, a planing mill for custom work and the manufacture of sash, doors and interior finish. It also took contracts for interior finishing, among which was a contract for the interior finishing of two floors of the $5,000,000.00 Post Office in Mexico City, which was built under the Diaz regime.
††††††† In 1913, Mr. Butts sold some of his interests and, returning to the States, rejoined his wife and family at Denver, Colorado, where they had been living for some time because of the lack of educational institutions in Mexico City. Early in 1914, he motored to California, spending a short time in the state, returning to Denver by the same mode of travel. Being favorable impressed with Southern California, he again motored across country bringing his family with him. They came to Glendale, where they have since resided. In 1916, Mr. Butts founded the Monarch Auto Supply Company, it being the first business of that kind in the city. The business is located in its new home in the Monarch Building on South Brand Boulevard at Harvard Street. The personnel of the company, in addition to Mr. Butts, are Robert C. Plume, his son-in-law, and Frederick A. Butts, his son. They are also the members of the Monarch Building Company, owners of the Monarch Building, a two-story brick business block, recently completed, which represents an investment of $60,000.00, exclusive of the real estate.
††††††† Fraternally, Mr. Butts is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He belongs to the Chamber of Commerce and the Credit Menís Association. Of the latter he is a director. In 1896, Mr. Butts journeyed to his hometown and on July 14, married Genevieve Cotter, a former schoolmate. Their three children are: Mary, wife of Robert C. Plume, Frederick and Horatic. The family home is at 123 Arden Avenue.
From History of Glendale and Vicinity by John Calvin Sherer. The Glendale Publishing Company, c. 1922 F. M. Broadbooks and J. C. Sherer. pgs. 428 Ė 430, Photograph of H. M. Butts p 428.