Dr. Raymond E. Chase has been a resident of Glendale since 1883, when his parents came here from New York State to make their home. The Chase family is of old Yankee ancestry. Dr. Chase was born in Rochester, New York, December 14, 1878, a son of S. Everett and Ella T. (Harris) Chase. His father was a native of New Hampshire, and his mother of New York. His father grew to manhood on the home estate in New Hampshire, and then went to Rochester, New York, where he became interested in the manufacture of shoes. In Glendale he purchased twenty acres on Glendale Avenue; improved and famed it for a time, becoming a fruit grower, raising all kinds of deciduous fruits and lemons. He later sold the ranch and lived retired for some years preceding his death, which occurred in October, 1914. Mrs. Chase makes her home with her son, W. E., of Los Angeles.
Dr. Chase attended the grade school of Glendale after which he graduated from the ,Los Angeles High School. He then matriculated in the medical department of the University of Southern California, now affiliated with the University of Southern California, and graduated with the class of 1901. For three years he practiced medicine and surgery in Los Angeles, since which time he has been located at Glendale. He was city health officer of Glendale for twelve years, and for five years was a member of the Lunacy Commission of Los Angeles County, of its examining physicians. Fraternally, he is a Master Mason and an Elk. His wife, Virginia E. Chase, is a native of West Virginia and came to Los Angeles as a young lady. She spent two years in the Dobbinson School of Dramatics, Los Angeles, and later went to New York City, where she had a professional career for eleven years, playing ingenue and juvenile leads. She is well known and prominent in dramatic circles, as district chairman of drama for the Federated Women’s Clubs of Southern California, and as curator of the drama section of the Glendale Tuesday Afternoon Club. She is also a member of the Glendale Music Club. In 1920, Dr. Chase build a modern residence at 239 North Orange Street, where they now reside.
From History of Glendale and Vicinity by John Calvin Sherer. The Glendale Publishing Company, c. 1922 F. M. Broadbooks and J. C. Sherer. P. 322-327.