Charles H. Cushing, who is Librarian of the Tropico branch of the Glendale Public Library, is a native of Chicago, Illinois. He was born September 7, 1865, a son of Dr. George H. and Lavinia L. (Larnard) Cushing. The Cushings are an old New England family, some of its members having fought in the Revolutionary War. Dr. George Cushing was a pioneer, and a prominent dentist for many years, and had been president of both the National and the State of Illinois Dental Associations. In 1898 he came to Los Angeles and was a demonstrator in the University of Southern California up to the time of his death which occurred in 1900.
Mr. Cushing is a graduate of the University of Michigan where he took the classical course, graduating with the class of 1888. He taught school until he came to California in 1893. In Antelope Valley he was known as a rancher for several years, and then alternated ranching and teaching until he was appointed to his present position in May, 1912, shortly after the City of Tropico was incorporated, and the library was taken over by the city. He was the first paid librarian of the city of Tropico. The residence is at 1100 South Glendale Avenue, where he purchased four and one-half acres in 1900, the greater part of which has been sold for home sites. He is a member of the Fraternal Brotherhood. His mother lived with him after the death of his father until her death, which occurred in 1919. His father willed his medical library to the University of Southern California, and the same was placed in the University library under his name.
From History of Glendale and Vicinity by John Calvin Sherer. The Glendale Publishing Company, c. 1922 F. M. Broadbooks and J. C. Sherer. Pg. 467.