Dr. J. L. Flint was born at Rinard Mills, Monroe County, Ohio June 5, 1880, a son of O. F. and Rebecca (Rinard) Flint. His father and mother were natives of the same place. Both of his grandfathers, Jacob Flint and James Rinard, were born and reared in Vermont, and came to Ohio in the early days, his grandfather, Rinard, being the founder of Rinard Mills. O. F. Flint was a merchant and miller at Rinard Mills before going to Las Vegas, New Mexico, where he was the owner and proprietor of the leading hotel for many years, and served the city as mayor for two years.
Dr. Flint is the fifth of a family of six children, the others being David, Minnie, J. Harrison, Orilla and Margaret. He graduated from Las Vegas High School and the Normal University at Las Vegas, after which he entered the University of St. Louis for a four-year course in medicine and surgery, graduating with the class of 1906. He practiced his profession at Mora, New Mexico, for four years, and then took a six months’ post-graduate course at the New York Post-Graduate Hospital, New York City, after which he established himself at Watrous, New Mexico, remaining there for one year. Coming to Glendale, he practiced medicine and surgery until July, 1918, when he enlisted in the Medical Corps of the army as a Captain and went to Camp Fremont, and from there to Camp Mills where he was under sailing orders at the time the armistice was signed. He was discharged from the service in February 1919.
Rejoining his family in Glendale, he soon thereafter opened an office in Los Angeles, and has since specialized in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat. His office is in the Wright-Callender Building. He is a member of the Los Angeles County Medical Association, and fraternally is a Master Mason and an Elk.
At Glendale on November 4, 1914, Dr. Flint married Katherine C. Wells, of Pueblo, Colorado. Their three boys are Rinard, James and Richard. Mrs. Flint is a member of the Tuesday Afternoon Club. Their residence at 619 North Central Avenue was built by Dr. Flint in 1917.
From History of Glendale and Vicinity by John Calvin Sherer. The Glendale Publishing Company, c. 1922 F. M. Broadbooks and J. C. Sherer. Pgs. 436-437.