Dr. Henry R. Harrower is the founder of The Harrower Laboratory, an institution developed nearly five years ago from an ideal of long standing into a reality. It has become internationally known through the untiring, persistent and consistent activity of its founder in educating the medical fraternity in general practice, in regard to internal secretions and the possibility of glandular therapy.
Dr. Harrower is a native of London, England, and was born April 30, 1883, son of Robert Percy and Susan (Flynn) Harrower. At the age of seventeen he had received the regular schooling in the common schools, and had taken special courses at the Birkbeck Institute and at the North Polytechnic Institute, of London. He went to Scandinavia, and for three years, in various places, made a thorough study of massage and Swedish manual movements. Coming to America as an expert masseur he worked his way through the American Medical Missionary College, at that time connected with the famous Battle Creek Sanitarium. After four years there he located at Chicago for a time, then returned to Europe, where he spent much time in travel, visiting many institutions of research and learning. Returning to America he located as a general practitioner, at Kankakee, Illinois, and after a short stay, went to Chicago where he was put in charge of the research department of The Abbott Laboratories. He was soon invited to connect with the medical department of Loyola University, Chicago, and for over two years was Professor of Clinical Diagnosis (1910-12).
In 1912, he again went abroad, remaining for two and one-half years, where most of his time was given to the study of his special ideals and to literary work. During this time he wrote his first large book “Practical Hormone Therapy,” which was published by Bailliere, Tindall and Cox, in London in 1914, and later in New York City upon his return to America. After a short stay in New York City, he came to Southern California in the fall of 1915, and soon thereafter to Glendale where he has since made his home. In 1917, he founded an association of international scope, for the study of internal secretions. Of this he has since been the secretary. Up to 1918, he divided his time between Glendale and Los Angeles in the practice of his profession. In 1918, he founded The Harrower Laboratory, which has shown a rapid and remarkable growth from its inception. Branches are maintained in New York City, Chicago, Baltimore, Kansas City, Denver, Dallas and Portland, Oregon. A branch office has recently been established at 72 Wigmore Street, in the heart of the “medical district” of the north end of London.
Dr. Harrower is a man of exceptional personality. The enthusiasm that made possible the establishment and development of The Harrower Laboratory, against great odds, is apparent at all times. It is contagious and extends, not only to his employees, but to many interested in his branch of medicine. To many he is known as “Harrower the irrepressible.” He is a linguist of no mean order. This has helped him, to a remarkable degree, in fathering the data from the various sources, which have helped in the development of his work. He is a big, vigorous man and has a big, vigorous brain—and those who know say that his heart is just as big. He is a member of the Glendale Chamber of Commerce, Treasurer of the East Glendale Advancement Association, a Director of the International Exchange Club of Glendale, and his interest in civic affairs is above the ordinary, being neither niggardly about the time or money he spends in furthering the interests of his community.
At Battle Creek, Michigan, on March 18, 1906, Dr. Harrower married Besse I. Waggoner, of Oakland, California. Dr. and Mrs. Harrower have one daughter, Vern Irene. They are members of the Seventh Day Adventist Church. The family home is at 1510 East Broadway.
From History of Glendale and Vicinity by John Calvin Sherer. The Glendale Publishing Company, c. 1922 F. M. Broadbooks and J. C. Sherer. p. 402-405. A photo of Henry R. Harrower appears on page 403.