D. Ripley Jackson, Glendale’s efficient and popular postmaster, is a native of West Orange, New Jersey. He was born December 10, 1877, a son of Samuel and Grace Scarlet (Covert) Jackson. His parents were natives of New York State and of old Yankee stock, antedating the Revolutionary War. His great great grandfather, Adam Brown, with his brother built the Perry Fleet on Lake Erie, and also fought in the Revolutionary War in Washington’s army. Mr. Jackson’s father was an importer, who passed away when D. Ripley was only a few years old. The subject of this sketch supplemented his high school education by attending Le Master’s Institute, New York City, where he took a general business course. He became an accountant and in pursuit of that calling became acquainted with prominent bankers and big business men of New York City, later engaging in business of his own and becoming very successful in transactions in Wall Street.
In 1917 he closed out his business in the East and came to Southern California to make it his home, intending to reside in either Pasadena or Hollywood. On the train coming west he was told about Glendale, and soon after arriving in Los Angeles visited that city and, being very favorably impressed with the city, decided to make it his home. He soon became acquainted with the forces that were directing the war activity in the state and was made a member of the Legal Advisory Board of Los Angeles County, and also became active in various branches of Government work, passing final examination for Captaincy in the Quartermasters Corps too late for activity. He invested in Glendale property of the income type and was about to make business connections when it was announced that Glendale was to be given a postoffice. He circulated a petition to become Glendale’s Postmaster and in a few days time had the required number of signatures. The paper was sent to Congressman Lineberger at Washington, D. C., who promptly presented it to Postmaster General Hayes and in a short time a message was received announcing that he had been named Postmaster. He took charge of the office on December 28, 1921. It was then a fourth class office, but on January 1, 1922 it received its proper rating as a first class postoffice.
Mr. Jackson at one started agitation for a new building and accordingly drew plans for an office suitable to the demands of the fast growing city. The new post office is now in use and was built in accordance with plans submitted by Mr. Jackson without any material change.
Mr. Jackson is a Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner; vice-president of the Shrine Club, of which he is also musical director. A member of the White Shrine and the Eastern Star; of the board of directors of the National Exchange of Glendale; the Chamber of Commerce; and is chairman of its entertainment committee; the Los Angeles Athletic Club; St. Mark’s Episcopal Church. He is a singer of note, having a splendid tenor voice. In New York City he was a soloist in various churches for many years. Politically he has always been a Republican.
At West Orange, New Jersey, June 28, 1899, Mr. Jackson married Grace C. Coddington, daughter of Edwin and Anna (Belden) Coddington. They are the parents of two children: Kenneth Ripley, a student in Glendale Union High School; and Grace Anna, a student in Cerritos Street School. Mrs. Jackson is a member of the Tuesday Afternoon Club, the White Shrine and the Eastern Star. The family home “Jersey Villa” is at 1800 South Brand Boulevard.
From History of Glendale and Vicinity by John Calvin Sherer. The Glendale Publishing Company, c. 1922 F. M. Broadbooks and J. C. Sherer. p. 420-423.