††††††† A. H. Lankford is Chief of the Glendale fire department, a position he has most creditably filled since July 1, 1915, having been in the department since November 7, 1914. He was born and reared on his fatherís farm at Bone Gap, Edwards County, Illinois, his natal day being May 8, 1882; is a son of Edward and Emma (Fox) Lankford. His grandfather was Joseph Lankford, a native of England, who came to America as a young man and was a pioneer of Edwards County, Illinois.
††††††† Mr. Lankford attended the grammar and high schools of Bone Gap, and as a young man learned the blacksmith trade. At the age of twenty-one he went to Evansville, Indiana, where he was employed in the shops of the Evansville & Terre Haute Railroad for a period of three years. He went to Westhope, South Dakota, where he farmed and operated threshing machines, later having a garage and auto delivery. On October 25, 1914, he arrived in Glendale and a few days later was employed as a truck driver in the fire department. At that time the personnel of the department consisted of Chief Harry M. Miller and Mr. Lankford, and the equipment was one horse and a chemical engine. At present the department boasts of sixteen men besides the Chief, two American LaFrance 750 gallon fire engines, one triple compound 500-gallon engine, one ladder truck and a Buick roadster for the chief. There are three stations, and the department is operated on the two-platoon system. To say that Glendaleís fire fighters are efficient is but to speak the truth, as her fire losses are as low as those of any city of her size in the country. Glendale has had no notable fires, which is but the result of having all fires extinguished promptly and effectually. Not least is the work of fire prevention, which receives much time and attention at the hands of the Chief himself and other members of the department.
††††††† At Olney, Illinois, on September 19, 1902, Mr. Lankford married Myra Onley, of Parkersburg, Illinois. Their only son, Burlin, is an employee of the Standard Oil Company at Fullerton, California. Mr. Lankford is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and of the Chamber of Commerce. Mr. and Mrs. Lankford are members of the Methodist Church.
From History of Glendale and Vicinity by John Calvin Sherer. The Glendale Publishing Company, c. 1922 F. M. Broadbooks and J. C. Sherer. Pg. 469.