George M. Lindsey, who is the only licensed architect maintaining an office in Glendale, is a native son of Colorado.†† He was born at Denver, on January 6, 1891, a son of William A. and Annie E. (Morrison) Lindsey. His grandfather, William A. Lindsey a native of Scotland, came to America as a young man and settled in Kentucky. William A. Lindsay was a professor in the high schools of Denver, Colorado, and in the Los Angeles School System upon his coming to that city in 1892 until 1906, when failing health caused him to retire.
The subject of this sketch is the younger of two sons, his brother being William A. of Los Angeles. After graduating from Polytechnic High School with the class of 1909, he entered the architectural office of W. J. Saunders, of Los Angeles, one of the leading architects of the west, where he remained for two years and received excellent training and experience. He was next employed as an architect and engineer by the Los Angeles Board of Education, being the first man to fill that position for the school board. He remained in that capacity for one year and then matriculated at the University of California where he took a special course in architecture and engineering for one year after which he returned to the architectural department at the Los Angeles Board of Education and remained there for three years. During these three years he supervised the construction of the Franklin and Lincoln High Schools, several grammar schools, and the Board of Educationís five-story warehouse on San Pedro Street. He went to Detroit, Michigan, where he was construction engineer for the E. D. Jackson Construction Company and in such capacity directed the work on a number of the Dime Savings Bank Branch buildings. He then went in business on his own account as an architect and designer, erecting buildings of importance among which was the Westminster Presbyterian Church of Detroit, which represented an expenditure of $500,000. Returning to Southern California he opened an office in what is now the Pacific-Southwest Trust and Savings Bank Building at Glendale Avenue and East Broadway, Glendale. He is associated in a number of enterprises with John C. Austin, of Los Angeles, one of Californiaís leading architects and construction engineers. They are the architects and engineers on the new Glendale Union High School for which ground will be broken early in 1923 on the corner of East Broadway and Verdugo Road, the cost of which will approximate $600,000, and on which Mr. Lindsey will personally be in charge of construction. Mr. Lindsey was the architect on the Grand View and Acacia Avenue schools in Glendale.
Fraternally, Mr. Lindsey is a Knight Templar Mason. He belongs to the Glendale Chamber of Commerce, the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce, and the Glendale National Exchange Business Menís Club. He is a member of the Greek Letter National fraternity Pi Kappa Alpha. At Los Angeles, on June 10, 1913, Mr. Lindsey married Marie Chandler, a native of Kansas City, Missouri, a daughter of Prof. E. E. Chandler, who is a professor of chemistry at Occidental College, Los Angeles. Mr. and Mrs. Lindsey are the parents of two boys, George Chandler and Robert Morrison Lindsey. The family resides in their new home at 234 North Harvey Drive, Glendale, California.
From History of Glendale and Vicinity by John Calvin Sherer. The Glendale Publishing Company, c. 1922 F. M. Broadbooks and J. C. Sherer. Pgs 457-458.†