James F. McIntyre, who is the commercial agent of the Public Service Department of the city, is a native of Richmond, New Brunswick, a son of Andrew C. and Annie (Gilkey) McIntyre. His parents have been residents of Glendale since 1903, and reside at 718 East Harvard Street. They are one of Glendale’s oldest couples, both being octogenarians. They celebrated their golden wedding on June 1, 1914. His father is a Canadian by birth, of Scotch descent, and his mother was born in Houlton, Maine, of old Yankee ancestry.
The subject of this review is the oldest of a family of five children, the others being: Fred W., Mrs. Helen I. Cambell, Miss Annie L., and Mrs. J. E. Flewelling. All are residents of Glendale except Mrs. Flewelling, who resides in New Brunswick. Fred W. is one of Glendale’s pioneer real estate dealers, having been in that business since he came to the city in October, 1895. Mrs. Campbell, who has been active in club life of the city, was one of the early members of the Tuesday Afternoon Club, and for several years was a member of its executive board. She also belongs to the Glendale Music Club. Miss Annie McIntyre is principal of the Central Avenue School, which position she has held since its organization; prior to this time she was a teacher in the Broadway School. She is a member of the School Supervisor’s Association of Southern California, and is now serving her third year as its treasurer; is legislative chairman of the Glendale Teacher Association, of which she is a charter member; the Glendale Music Club and the Chamber of Commerce.
Mr. McIntyre came to Glendale with his brother, Fred W., and for five years followed ranching. From 1900 to 1906 he owned and operated the Glendale lumberyard. For six years he was cashier of the Bank of Glendale, and since 1913 has been with the public service department of the city, now acting as commercial agent of that department. He took an active part in many matters pertaining to the general advancement of the community, viz.: in organizing the Glendale Union High School, and Glendale’s first bank, the Bank of Glendale; the incorporation of the city; in bringing the Pacific Electric into the valley; and other worthy causes. He has been a school trustee, and for several years was clerk of the school board.
At Honcon, Wisconsin, in June 1891, Mr. McIntyre married Laura B. Roper of that city. Their four children are Percy T., draftsman in the public service department of the City of Los Angeles; Wilmot J., chief clerk of the public works department of Glendale; Edith N., a student in the Glendale Union High School; and Laurence S., a student in the intermediate school. Mrs. McIntyre is a charter member of the Tuesday Afternoon Club. The family home is at 135 North Cedar Street.
From History of Glendale and Vicinity by John Calvin Sherer. The Glendale Publishing Company, c. 1922 F. M. Broadbooks and J. C. Sherer. p. 355-356.