Joseph Pagliuso, who for thirty-one years has been foreman of the ranch owned by Judge Erskine M. Ross on North Verdugo Canyon Road, is a native of Artlia, Italy, and was born July 6, 1863. His father was a farmer and fruit grower of prominence, and the training he received by the son, in the care of citrus fruit and olives, while on the home farm served well to qualify him for the position he has so ably filled all these years.
Mr. Pagliuso attended the public schools after which he served three years in the Italian Army. In five months time he was advanced to the rank of corporal; three months later saw him a corporal major, and before his enlistment expired he was advanced to the rank of sergeant. He remained under the paternal roof until he came to America in 1888. New York City held him for a short time before he started his westward course, which brought him to Southern California in November 1890. On his westward journey across the continent he made many stops, most of the time, however, was spent in Colorado, at Denver, Pueblo and Silverton, where he worked at railroading and in the mines.
Shortly after arriving in Southern California he secured employment at the Ross ranch, and eighteen months later was made foreman, which position he has filled ever since. The ranch is devoted to citrus and deciduous fruits and general farming, several hundred acres being under cultivation; it has its own fruit packing plant and a mill for making olive oil. Mr. Pagliuso is the owner of a ten-acre apricot orchard on North Glendale Avenue. In 1920 he gave a contract for the erection of a modern brick building on South Brand Boulevard, which since completion has been occupied by the Glendale News and of which the cost of construction approximated $16,000.00. He is a stockholder in the Glendale Research Hospital, having subscribed and paid for five shares of stock at $100.00 per share and is a member of the Chamber of Commerce.
At Los Angeles on September 20, 1909, Mr. Pagliuso married Catherine Emigart, a native of France. She came to America in 1900. They are the parents of two sons: John and Robert. The family are members of the Roman Catholic Church.
From History of Glendale and Vicinity by John Calvin Sherer. The Glendale Publishing Company, c. 1922 F. M. Broadbooks and J. C. Sherer. p. 417-418. A photo of Joe Pagliuso appears on page 416.