Albert D. Pearce, of the law firm of Evans & Pearce, Los Angeles, is a native of Michigan. He was born at Champion, Marquette county, October 24, 1883, a son of Edward and Margaret (Mundy) Pearce. His father is an Englishman by birth and was naturalized as soon after his arrival here as possible; his mother was born in Pennsylvania. His father was a mining superintendent for many years in the mines of Michigan. The parents are now residents of Muskegon, Michigan.
The subject of this sketch is the seventh of a family of eleven children. After graduating from high school at Pentwater, Michigan, in 1903, he matriculated at the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, from which institution he graduated with the class of 1908, with the degree of A. B. In 1909 he received the degree of LL. B. from the same University. In 1907 he was leader of the University of Michigan debating team, which won from the University of Chicago, receiving the Russell A. Alger Intercollegiate Trophy. In 1908-1909 he was an instructor in English and European History in the University of Michigan. In 1910 he became counsel and department manager for the King-Richardson Publishing Company of Chicago. He had sold books for this company each year during his vacation while attending the University, thereby earning the money which carried him through college. In January 1913, he resigned from his position with the publishing company and came to Glendale, where he has since resided.
He soon thereafter established himself in the practice of law on his own account in the Higgins Building, Los Angeles. In 1914, he formed a law partnership with Arthur Abbott, who was afterwards Dean of the Law School of the University of Southern California. In 1917, the law firm of Evans, Abbott & Pearce was formed with offices in the Van Nuys Building, Mr. Evans, the senior member of the firm, at that time being City Attorney of Glendale. In February 1920, Mr. Abbott withdrew from the firm, and the firm of Evans & Pearce came into existence. Fraternally, Mr. Pearce is a Master Mason and an Elk. He is a Past Exalted Ruler of Elk’s Lodge, No. 1289, of Glendale, and filled that position during the time that the clubhouse was being built. While in College, he became a member of the Intercollegiate Honer College Fraternity, Delta Sigma Rho. He is a Past President of the Michigan Alumni Association of Southern California, belongs to the Glendale Chamber of Commerce, is President of the Glendale Republican Club, also a member of the University Club of Los Angeles.
At Pentwater, Michigan, on October 24, 1910, Mr. Pearce married Esther Lewis of that city. They have a daughter, Jeanne Esther Pearce. The family home is at 119 West Lexington Drive, Glendale.
From History of Glendale and Vicinity by John Calvin Sherer. The Glendale Publishing Company, c. 1922 F. M. Broadbooks and J. C. Sherer. Pgs. 443-444.