Hartley Shaw, who is Glendale’s city attorney, is a native of Indiana, and was born June 2, 1874, at Bloomfield, a son of Lucien and Hannah (Hartley) Shaw. His grandfather, William Shaw, was a pioneer of southwestern Indiana. His father was born in Indiana and his mother was a native of New York State. His father is Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the state of California. He was elevated to that position in 1921, after having been an associate justice of the same court for eighteen years. Prior to that time he had been a judge of the Superior Court in Los Angeles.
Mr. Shaw is a graduate of the University of Southern California where he took a literary course. He then matriculated at the Hastings College of Law at San Francisco from which he graduated with the first class of 1897. He was admitted to the bar in 1897, and has since practiced law in Los Angeles. He was Assistant City attorney of Los Angeles for three years, and for six years was chief deputy district attorney under J. D. Fredericks. In 1911 he moved to Glendale and in 1913 moved to Tropico, and was its city attorney before its annexation to Glendale. He has been very active and influential in all Tropico and Glendale affairs. In 1918 he was elected a member of the board of trustees of Glendale, and from April to December of that year, was chairman of the board. From January 1, 1921, to October 31, 1921, he was city attorney, which position he now fills.
At Los Angeles, on September 17, 1901, Mr. Shaw married Fern W. West, a native of Iowa. They have two daughters and one son. The daughters are Dorothy and Evelyn. Both are graduates of Glendale Union High School. Dorothy is a student at Pomona College, and Evelyn is attending the Southern Branch of the University of California. The son, Lucien West, is a sophomore in the Glendale Union High School. Mr. and Mrs. Shaw are both very active in the Congregational Church. He is a member of the building committee of the new church edifice now being built. Mrs. Shaw is active in all branches of church and Sunday school work. The family home is at 212 West Park Avenue, where they have resided since 1913.
From History of Glendale and Vicinity by John Calvin Sherer. The Glendale Publishing Company, c. 1922 F. M. Broadbooks and J. C. Sherer. p. 377-378