Dr. Kate Shepardson-Black is a native of Greenfield, Indiana, a daughter of Otis and Catherine (Wade), Shepardson. Her father was a native of Vermont, of old Yankee ancestry and her mother was born at Lincroft, England. She attended the public schools of Greenfield, and of Sturgis, Michigan, her parents having moved to the latter place when she was twelve years old, and where her father was a hardware merchant for many years. At the age of sixteen she entered Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio, for a four-year literary course, a member of the class of 1869. She taught school for a few terms and then entered the Homeopathic Hospital College, Cleveland, Ohio, for a full four-year course, graduating in medicine in 1874. She practiced medicine at Columbus, Ohio for four years, during which time she married Dr. S. S. Black, having become acquainted with him at college. They went to Frederiction, New Brunswick, where they practiced medicine for seven years. Dr. Black was born at Moneton, New Brunswick, July 8, 1846, a son of Charles and Margaret (Stedman) Black. He is a graduate of Putte Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio, having graduated with the class of 1875.
In 1883 they came to California and bought land in Pomona and in North Glendale, remaining in California for a year and a half. Returning to the East, she went to Frederiction, New Brunswick, to care for a patient. Later she rejoined her husband in Buffalo, New York, where he had, in the meantime, established a practice. In 1888 they returned to California, she going to Pasadena where she practiced medicine for fifteen years. She then decided to move to their ranch property in North Glendale, where he was in charge of the ranch on Kenneth Road, having made his home there since 1893. Dr. Kate Black is a member of the Southern California Homepathic Society, and is an honorary member of the Shakespeare Club in Pasadena. She recently built a $10,000.00 residence at 715 Kenneth Road.
From History of Glendale and Vicinity by John Calvin Sherer. The Glendale Publishing Company, c. 1922 F. M. Broadbooks and J. C. Sherer. p. 383-384.