Clarence W. Walton was born at Belmont, Massachusetts, January 17, 1856, a son of Edmond M. and Miranda (Frost) Walton. He is descended from an old colonial family, which lived in Massachusetts in 1630. Eleven members of the families of his ancestors were soldiers in the Revolutionary War and were residents of Massachusetts in the vicinity of Lexington at the time that battle was fought. His grandfather, Jonathan Walton, was a miller and market gardener. The subject of this review received a common school education, and remained on the home place until twenty-eight years old, working at gardening and carpentry with his father. In 1884 he went to the Hawaiian Islands and remained there for twenty years, during which time he made two trips to the old home in Massachusetts. During this period he went through three revolutions and assisted I the forming of first, a provisional government, then a republic, and lastly, annexation to the United States. He worked at his trade for three years, was head overseer of a large plantation for two years, and the last eight years was manager of the Pahala Sugar Plantation at Kau.
In 1904, he returned to the States and after spending some months at Santa Barbara, San Diego and Hollywood, came to Glendale and bought a five-acre peach orchard in which he built his present residence at 1031 North Central Avenue. It was the first residence on that street north of Tropico. He arrived in Glendale on the day following the arrival of the Pacific Electric car in the city. He built and sold residences, and for several years was quite extensively engaged in the poultry business. He is now living retired. His home is a profusion of all kinds of plant life, trees, shrubs and vines. He is a Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner. Mr. Walton was vice-president of the Bank of Glendale for seven years, and since that institution was taken over by the Los Angeles (now Pacific Southwest) Trust and Savings Bank has been a member of its advisory board.
In 1878 Mr. Walton married Muna S. Towne, a descendant of an old pilgrim family. She died in 1896, leaving one son Monroe L., of Glendale, who married Hazel Grover and they have one son Donald. In 1897 Mr. Walton married Bertha Kimball, of an old colonial family, her ancestors having come to America in 1636 and settled in Salem, Massachusetts. Mr. and Mrs. Walton are members of the Church of the Open Door of Los Angeles.
From History of Glendale and Vicinity by John Calvin Sherer. The Glendale Publishing Company, c. 1922 F. M. Broadbooks and J. C. Sherer. p. 385.