Richardson D. White, who is the City superintendent of schools, was born in St. Louis, Missouri, February 2, 1874, a son of Edward and Gertrude M. (Douglas) White. The White family was established in Virginia by the great grandfather of the subject of this sketch, William Henry White, who came from Westmoreland County, England, in 1765. He was a soldier in George Washington’s army during the Revolutionary War. The Douglas family came from the north of Ireland. William White, the grandfather, was a jeweler at Fredericksburg, Virginia. Edward White was a soldier in the Civil War for four years, and fought with both Lee’s and Johnson’s armies. He was with Johnson’s army at the time of its surrender. After the war he then went to St. Louis where he was an attorney for many years.
Richardson D. White is one of a family of six children. The others in the family are: Chester B., a mining engineer, of Buenos Aires, Argentina; Margaret D. Longly and Gertrude Jones, both residents of Glendale; Edward E., who died in Chicago, Illinois, in 1909, and left two sons; Allison, who died at the age of fifteen years. Mr. White attended the public schools of St. Louis, after which, to please his father, he matriculated at Hampton Sidney College, Virginia, where he took a classical course, graduating with the class of 1893, with a degree of A. B. He then became a teacher in the Central High School at St. Louis, where he taught for eleven years. During this time, he studied law at the law school of Washington University, St. Louis, where he received the LL. B. Degree. He also took postgraduate work at the University of Chicago and Harvard University. In 1908, he became professor of mathematics at the State Normal School at Cape Girardeau, Missouri, which position he filled for three years.
In 1911, he came to Glendale and was at the head of the mathematics department in the Glendale Union High School for two years. He was next made supervising principal of city schools, which position he now fills. With the adoption of the new charter in June 1921, his position automatically became that of City Superintendent of Schools. In the summer of 1913, he took postgraduate work at the University of California at Berkeley. Mr. White is well known in educational circles, being a member of the National Educational Association, the California Teacher’s Association, the School Master’s Club of Southern California and the Glendale City Teacher’s Club. He is a Master Mason, a charter member of the Rotary Club, and a director of the Chamber of Commerce. He belongs to the American Legion, and is a member of its building committee. He joined the army but was not called until October 5, 1918, when he was sent to Ft. MacArthur and attached to the Heavy Artillery. He was honorably discharged from the service on December 15, 1918.
At St. Louis, Missouri, on August 15, 1908, Mr. White married Helen Morse, who was born and reared in Kansas. They have one daughter, Helen Morse White. Mrs. White is a member of the Women’s Auxiliary of the American Legion and of the Tuesday Afternoon Club. The family are members of St. Mark’s Episcopal Church.
From History of Glendale and Vicinity by John Calvin Sherer. The Glendale Publishing Company, c. 1922 F. M. Broadbooks and J. C. Sherer. p. 394-397