Wilkinson County was organized
The first Justices of the Inferior Court, Middle Judicial Circuit were Samuel Beckom, William Randolph, Lewis Lanier, William O'Neal and Thomas Gilbert. They were directed to select a site for the holding of superior and inferior courts and to mark out militia districts and nominate two justices of the peace from each district and other matters.
Wilkinson County was formed part of the second brigade of the second division of the Georgia Militia.
County officers elected: Sheriff- Edmund Hogan, Ordinary - Drury Gilbert, Clerk Superior Courrt - Archibald McIntire, Clerk Inferior Court - William Brown, Surveryor - Britton McCullers, Cornoer - Charles Ray, Senator- Robert Jackson
County limits extended to Ocmulgee River
Court was held near Ebenezer church. The first Superior court was held here in Jan. 1807 by Judge Benjamin Skrine and Robert Walker Solitior General. Court was held near Ebenezer church.
The first judge of the Oakmulgee Judicial
Circuit which was created December 1807 was Peter J. Early and the
first Solicitor-General was Bedney Franklin
Arthur Fort, John Hays, William Biven, Elkanah Lostin and Jesse Brown were authorized to find a place for the courthouse. Court was held at Willis Anderson's house - sheriff of Wilkinson County. Willis Anderson lived a short distance east of Jeffersonville in Twiggs county (then Wilkinson)
Land was purchased from Samuel Dick Lot 111, 26th district, west of Ball's Church and the courthouse began to be built. Citizens protested the selection of the land for the courthouse. Arthur Fort, representative, became the driving force for the cutting the county in half and Twiggs county was created.
Twiggs county was created from Wilkinson county Dec. 14, 1809.
Stephen Johnson, John Eady, Sr., Elkanah Lofton, Philip Pitman, and William Crawley (Cawley) were appointed Commissioners to fix on a new site for the Public Buildings of Wilkinson county.
John Hatcher, Abram Lewis, Matthew Caswell, William Stubbs and John Horne were appointed Commissioners to fix on a new site for the Public Buildings of Wilkinson county. Dec. 15, 1810
John King, Thomas Durham and Thomas M'Ginty were appointed Commissioners for the county of Wilkinson to lay the portion of the Hartford road in their county which goes from Milledgeville to Hartford in Pulaski County
Abraham Lucas is appointed a justice of the Inferior court for the county of Wilkinson in the place of John T. Fairchild, resigned.
John Hatcher, Mathew Caswell, Daniel Hicks, Stephen Gafford, Jeremiah Loftin appointed commissioners of the academy of Wilkinson County.
Irwinton was created in 1811. Located on Lot 83, 4th district of Wilkinson County. Commissioners appointed to layout the town, sell lots etc. were John Proctor, Robert Barnett, John Speight, John Ball and Daniel Hicks.
Additonal commissioners appointed for the town of Iwinton were William Wicker, William Lord, John Smith and Charles Culpepper
Henry W. Raley appointed a Notary Public in county of Wilkinson
The counties of Twiggs, Pulaski, Telfair, Laurens and Wilkinson formed the second brigade of the fifth division of the Georgia Militia.
Nicholas Thompson and Thomas Ard, esquires are appointed Commissioners of the Academy of Wilkinson county, in the room of Stephen Gafford and Jeremiah Loftin, removed.
Ransom Worrell appointed a Notary Public for the town of Irwinton
David Rowland is appointed a Commissioner for the academy in the county of Wilkinson.
Irwinton incorporated. Commissioners of the town were Solomon Worrel, David Roland, Adam Hunter, Peter M'Arthur and William Beck,
Solomon Worrel and David Roland are appointed Commissioners of the Courthouse and Jail in place of John Ball, deceased, and John Speight, removed without the county.
Paul M'Cormick appointed a Notary Public for the town of Irwinton in place of Ransom Worrell, removed.
Ely Brack is appointed, a Commissioner of the Academy of Wilkinson county, in the place of John Ball, deceased.
Charles Beall appointed a Notary Public for the county of Wilkinson, in the place of Paul M'Cormick, removed.
Counties of Twiggs, Wilkinson, Laurens and Pulaski, were composed of the first Brigade of the sixth Division of the Georgia Militia
sources: General Assembly Acts of Georgia;
History of Wilkinson County, Victor Davidson
Eileen Babb McAdams copyright 2004
Wilkinson Co Page | GAGenWeb State Page|USGenWeb Page