Pointe de l'Eglise: Acadia Genealogical and Historical Society, Inc.
Acadia Parish, Louisiana
Welcome to Acadia Parish Genealogy
The Attakapas Indians were the early inhabitants of Acadia Parish. Claimed by France in 1682, the Louisiana territory was held as a French colony until 1763, when it was ceded to Spain. Louisiana was returned to France in 1800 under Napoleon. Three years later, the United States purchased the Louisiana territory.
The name of Acadia parish is derived from the French colony of Acadia in Canada which had been settled by many French-speaking inhabitants. The British deported the French inhabitants to France and other areas and many of them migrated to Louisiana. The parish itself was formed in 1886 from the southwestern portion of St. Landry Parish. Crowley was chosen as the parish seat in 1887. The first courthouse was constructed in Crowley and completed in 1888.
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 61,773 people residing in the parish.
This website is dedicated to family researchers who are researching their ancestors in Acadia Parish. It is also dedicated to the Acadia Parish Genealogical and Historical Society, Inc., and its hard working members who strive to make research materials available to family researchers. Join us by completing the membership application from the link below.