Oberlin is the oldest town in the parish and was incorporated February 5,
1900 while still a part of Imperial Calcasieu Parish. It actually started as a
community called Oaklin Springs about 2 miles west of Oberlin closer to
the Calcasieu River during the early 1860s. Many of these earlier settlers
originally came from Oberlin, Ohio. The first record of a U.S. Post Office and
Postmaster was from this area in 1890.
The first settlement to be
called Oberlin was located over one mile northeast of the present location
before 1888 and is now called Old Town. Later a town site was established
around 1890 where Oberlin is presently located. Some of the first buyers
according to Pat Carroll Marcantel from her book Oberlin 1893-1993,
- Mrs E. H. Alcock
- James Beech
- Diana Brown
- Mrs. Emma P. Ewing (sold to C.N. Haines
- C.E. Foster
- Mrs. A.E. Paul
- Mrs. Lydia Rice
- D.F. Shepardson
Later, other settlers included:
- J.W. Moore (Irish immigrant from Sugartown)
- John Sonnier
- Valetin Sonnier
The first elected officials were: Sheriff, Y.O. Reed; Mayor,
Joseph Carrier; Marshal, John Sonnier; Aldermen, Luc Ledoux, J.T. Funchess and J.A.
Darbonne; Clerk of Court, Patrick Moore; Tax Assessor, David Cole. These men were elected
in 1913 following the creation of Allen Parish in 1912 from Calcasieu Parish.
The industry was cattle raising, rice crops,
and wool. Wool selling day was on June 8th of each year. The Allen Parish Courthouse was
built in Oberlin in 1912.