Hunter Articles
1910 Hunter Herald

January 13, 1910

Meat Market Scorched
At 1:45 yesterday fire was discovered coming thru the roof of Carl Sorenson's meat market by some workmen who were in the rear of the building. The fire was caused from a defective stove in the work shop of the meat market and spread very rapidly thru the workshop. The alarm was given and was responded to by the citizens and by the use of extinguishers the flames were put out. At the outset it looked as if nothing could stop the destruction of the building and the boys who fought the fire with the small extinguishers are to be congratulated upon their work. Here is another instance where a chemical extinguisher of fifty or sixty gallon capacity would have been the right thing as the few small extinguishers at this fire were exhausted and had to be refilled. The town is badly in need of some kind of fire protection and it is up to the town authorities to see that we get it. The workshop of the building will have to be almost rebuilt. The loss is covered with insurance.

March 24, 1910

John W. Daley, dead
News has been received from Russell, N. D., announcing the death of one of the old pioneers of Hunter, John W. Daley, who died at his home at Russell
on the 4th of this month after several years of patient suffering. Mr. Daley was a veteran of the Civil War and during his many years of residence here had a large acquaintance.
He moved with his family from here to Russell some five years ago and is survived by his wife, three sons and five daughters.
Ignatius, the second eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Daley, had the misfortune to lose an arm a few days previous to his father's death, in accidentally falling between the depot platform and a moving train.

Mrs. J. L. Still dies
A letter written to C. L. Thompson and family, from Blaine, Wash., conveys the sad news of the death of Mrs. J. L. Still, who died at her home in Blaine on the 13th.
Mrs. Still had been in splendid health previous to the birth of her boy on the first of the month. Cancer of the bowels is supposed to be the cause of her sudden demise.
Mr. and Mrs. Still resided in Hunter for two years.

W. W. Fisk sells farm
It was a surprise to many of our citizens Monday of this week to know that Warren Fisk had sold his section and a quarter farm situated a mile and a half south of town.
The deal was closed Saturday and the purchaser is Henry Shuman who comes from Illinois. Mr. Fisk and family have moved into the house on the old L. Fornes farm and the Brewer brothers
have moved into the Fisk house and will operate the farm this season for Mr. Shuman. The personal property of the farm has also been sold. Mr. Fisk also closed out his Colorado property of twenty acres
the same day for $250 per acre.

May 12, 1910

It happened
Married, at the manse, by Rev. N. E. Koehler, Friday evening, Miss Ethel M. Odell to Louis E. Runestrand.
Speculation had been rife for some time as to just when the event would take place and the friends of the contracting parties knew nothing of the marriage until the morning after,
thus leaving Louie and his bride in their own home the first night-where they immediately went after the ceremony was performed-in perfect peace and quietness. The following evening
there was something doing and about fifty friends of the bride and groom formed themselves into an aggregation for the purpose of a grand serenade, Louie's movements were noted from the time
he left the store until he entered his own house which was the signal for the crowd to congregate and proceed to the work in hand. The serenade on the outside began and the selection was not from any
of the popular operas that we have ever heard, but was nevertheless rendered with vigor on tin pans, and anything else that would help. After the first selection it was expected that the newly-weds
would make their appearance, provided they were not prostrated with nervous fright-but nothing was doing from the inside of the house and an investigation was commenced. Louie says he secured the lack door
before retiring but by gentle persuasion two of the boys opened the door and went in, lit the lamp, opened the front door and the serenaders walked in and took possession of the house.
After lingering a few moments they went out again so as to give Mr. and Ms. Runestrand time to make themselves presentable, which they did in a short time and invited their uninvited visitors in.
The “bunch” were fooled Friday evening but were equal to the occasion the second night and made good.
Mr. Runestrand is well known in Hunter and vicinity having resided here for six years and has always been “one among 'em” gaining friends as time went along. Mrs. Runestrand's home is Ellendale and she is well known to the citizens of Hunter taking the position in the public school as teacher of the 7th and 8th grades for the past two years and instructor in drawing for the past year which position was well filled by her. The Herald, on behalf of its readers extends congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Runestrand and wish them a happy journey through life. May 19, 1910

At the M. E. parsonage, Fargo, by Rev. Wyand, on Friday, May 13, Etlie M. Turner and W. J. Glaum were the contracting parties while Miss June Turner and C. E. Ecker attended the happy couple.
The bride is one of our respected Hunter girls, having lived among us most of her life having graduated from the high school here and the Normal at Mayville and was teaching to within a few days
of her marriage at Sarles. Mr. Glaum follows the occupation of jeweler and optician with the Watt Drug Co, at Sarles. Mr. and Ms. Glaum returned to Hunter Monday morning.
Mr. G. left for his duties at Sarles Tuesday morning and Mrs. G. expects to leave Saturday accompanied by her sister Miss June where they intend going to housekeeping at once.

June 30, 1910

Hotel opens today
The Commercial Hotel which has been closed the past month undergoing repairs will be opened for business today under the management of Gust Hogenson.
The rooms have all been renovated, painted and papered. New furniture and fixtures have been added throughout. Mr. Hogenson will endeavor to give the public a first class hotel
and we have no doubt but that he will succeed.

Adams-Thorburn nuptials
A very pretty and quiet wedding occurred Tuesday evening at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Adams, in Hunter, at 10:30, when their daughter Miss Alice was united in marriage to James A. Thorburn
by Rev. L. D. Cook, who used the ring service of the M. E. church. The bride was attired in champagne messaline silk and carried a bouquet of white roses and was attended by her sister Mrs Pickard
while the groom was attended by Mr. Pickard. The bride who has lived in Hunter the most of her life, has a large circle of intimate friends and acquaintances, but for the past few years has been doing duty
as an expert hospital nurse in the north part of the state. Only relatives of the family were present at the ceremony; those from out of town were Mr. and Mrs. Thorburn, parents of the groom,
Mr. and Mrs. Roy Pickard of Niagara, Mrs. L. Cook of Minneapolis. The happy couple left last evening for Minneapolis and other points on their honeymoon with the best wishes of their many friends.

July 7, 1910

Early morning fire
Destroys three business buildings-light insurance
At about two-thirty a week ago this morning fire was discovered in Ostrander's butcher shop. An alarm was given but the fire was beyond control when help arrived. Mr. Ostrander lost his shop, smoke house and ice house. This was one of the best equipped butcher shops in the state, and the loss is estimated at $5,000 with insurance of $3,000. The next two buildings to burn were owned by L. Turner and occupied by Turner & Tousley as a restaurant and pool room with sleeping rooms overhead. Turner & Tousley lost considerable on fixtures but saved most of the furniture and fixtures contained in the rooms downstairs. Mr. Turner's loss was the heaviest which included the two business buildings and three other smaller buildings in the rear.
The amount of insurance carried on the building was $1,500 and the loss is estimated at $4,500 The origin of the fire is a mystery and seemed to have started in the office part of the building.
Turner & Tousley moved into the Gamble building on Front street. Mr. Ostrander will in all probability build.

Rural delivery
Postmaster Rogers was informed officially last Saturday from the postal department that two mail routes will be established from Hunter, the service to take effect Sept. 1st. Both routes are triweekly and known as No. 1 and No. 2. The former will be served on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and the latter on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. The contract for the carrying of the mail has not been let yet and it will be necessary to pass a civil service examination in order to secure it.

July 21, 1910

For sale
I have a threshing outfit in good condition consisting of a 36:58 J. I. Case separator, 20 h. p. J. I. Case engine and water tank. Well sell reasonable on easy terms. Frank Buck, Hunter, N. D.

Hot war over guardianship
The petition for the removal of Kernahan Dickson of Hunter, guardian of the minor children of his brother, William Dickson, deceased, by Mrs. A. N. Mitchell, mother of the children,
was heard this morning before Judge Hanson in county court. A bitter fight is being made by the childrens' mother and stepfather, to effect the removal of the guardian on the charge
that his administration of their affairs has been greatly to the detriment of the three children in his charge. Vernon R. Lovell acted as counsel for the petitioners and L. L. Twichell is the attorney for the defense.
The petitioners allege that Dickson, as guardian, has abused his privileges and has withheld the proper allowances of the three children, frequently depriving them of necessary funds for their maintenance.
They further allege that they have been maintained out of the private revenue of the stepfather, A. N. Mitchell, who is a photographer at Hunter.
The petitioners further claim that Dickson's management of the estate has been only such as would militate against the interest of the childrens' property.
In his defense Dickson alleges that in the three years his brother's widow has been married to Mitchell, the latter has done nothing whatever toward the support of either himself,
his wife or the children and that he has lived solely out of the monthly allowance of the children stipulated in the will.

August 18, 1910

Away back: Some old but interesting news taken from the Eye, published in Hunter, March, 1888
Clyde Gamble, Ed. and Will Muir are learning the mysteries of telegraphy, and have put up a line and instruments for practice.
Another whole week has passed and no train or mail. The stage came up Tuesday, but brought no mail. Why is this thusly? The people along this line have had about all the “monkey business” they want this winter, and it is a blessing to know that spring is near at hand.
Walter Muir will give a talk on the tariff at the school house next Thursday evening.
It is reported that Mel Ostrander has secured the contract for furnishing the meat for the construction crew, for thirty-five miles of the new Minnesota & Dakota road.
Clarence Denham, well and favorably known among the farmers of this vicinity, has gone into the machinery business with F. D. Moody.
The work of opening up the railroad is progressing slowly. The snow is said to be packed so hard that it is impossible to use the snow plows, and the cuts will have to be shoveled out by hand.
There is probably four or five miles of snow from two to four feet deep to be thus handled over before trains can get through which will necessitate quite a delay. The stage is carrying the mail
between Casselton and Blanchard.

September 15, 1910

A sad accident
While Joseph Murch, who lives south of Hunter, was hitching up his horses after dinner Wednesday of last week, he was kicked in the head by one of the animals and rendered unconscious.
Medical aid was summoned and the unfortunate man was taken to Fargo, where he died without regaining consciousness. The body was shipped home and the funeral which was largely attended
proceeded to the M. E. church, Hunter, where services were conducted by Rev. Kahl and interment made in the cemetery.
Mr. Murch married the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Stewart and leaves a wife and five children, the oldest of which are a pair of twins, four years old.

October 27, 1910

Harry Omer wanted
Harry Omer, who has been working on the Geo. Young farm near Page, hired a horse and rig from the liveryman at that place and drove to Hunter Wednesday of last week putting the outfit
in the livery barn here. Omer after a few hours from the time of his arrival came back to the barn and told Skue & Krogstad that he was badly in need of some money as he had received a message
to the effect that his father, who is an engineer on the N. P. railway, was badly scalded while on duty and he had to go to him at once and would sell the horse, harness and buggy very cheap.
He put up a very good story and seemed acquainted with a number of people in and around Page. A deal was made whereby Omer disposed of the outfit to Skue & Krogstad for $55 in cash and
they were to drive him to Casselton so he could take an N. P. train west without delay. A warrant has been sworn out for his arrest and there is no doubt but he will be captured.

Died in Florida
Jas. B. Dundas received a telegram Monday which stated that his father died that day at Keylargo, Florida.
Nothing but the statement of the death was contained in the message and nothing has been received since to tell of the circumstances. Keylargo is the first of the string of keys at the southern extremity
of that state.
J. B. Dundas is well known in and around Hunter, coming to this vicinity in the early eighties taking a piece of land southeast of Hunter where he farmed for many years and where his family now reside,
the first wife dying a number of years ago. J. B., as he was familiarly called by his friends, was a good neighbor and father, and tiring of farming in this state he left for Cuba in the fall of 1906
where he remained until July of last year, going from there to Keylargo.
Deceased was born in December 1843 and was married to his second wife in 1905, who lies in a precarious condition as stated in a second message from Keylargo.
Four children remain, Mrs. A. R. Dundas, Mae, Jas. H. and Bella, to mourn the loss of their father.

Transcribed by Steven Pueppke

Copyright 2008 Steven Pueppke
Back to Newspapers
Back to Cass County, NDGenWeb