Hunter News
1905 Hunter Herald

July 20, 1905

Creamery to Re-open

The old creamery association has leased its plant to J. W. Tousley, of Leonard, who will remove here in a week or two. Mr. Tousley has the reputation of being an experienced, successful creamery operator and will take personal charge both of the practical work as well as looking after the business management of the establishment. Living rooms in the creamery building will be fitted up for his occupation.
We have always advocated the reopening of the creamery on any feasible plan, and it would appear to us that the new basis on which it will be conducted where all responsibility will rest on one person, is more apt to conduce to a successful administration than the old manner of conducting this business. In all probability its successful operation is merely a question of a sufficient supply of raw material. There is no question of the desirability of the creamery-no more than the convenience of the steady flow of cash into the community that will result from its reopening.
It will be opened for business about the first of August. If you haven't any cows go and get some.

Gale, Carr & Co's Store Robbed

Sometime between Sunday night and Monday morning someone broke a light of glass out of one of the tin ship windows and entering the hardware department they took eleven razors, a dozen and a half of pocket knives and four revolvers, nothing else is missing. This theft is a peculiar one in some respects. They left more knives and as good ones as they took. The razors were treated in the same manner as the knives. There were just six revolvers in a row in a glass shelf in a small showcase and they took but four of these. No suspicion is attached to anyone.

July 27, 1905

Surprise Party

About 35 assembled at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Barber last Tuesday evening, and when everything was in readiness they proceeded to the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. E. McCartney, whom they wished to surprise, and they certainly did. The tenth anniversary of married life was the cause of it all. After congratulations were expended, Mr. Wood read a short address to the host and hostess, which was very neatly replied to by Mr. McCartney, they being the recipients of an elegant upholstered leather rocking chair. The unexpected visitors were entertained in a very pleasant way until a late hour. Refreshments were served during the evening.

Business Openings

The future of the new town in North Dakota on the new extensions being built by the Great Northern Railway is assured in more ways than one. The sale of lots at a recent sale held at Westhope showed the interest manifested by people who are seeking location for business openings.
The first sale of lots in the new towns of Antler, at the end of the Westhope line, netted $22,000.00 and in the new town of Maxbass, at the end of the Maxbass extension, the first sale of town lots aggregated $18,000.00.
Men with capital are becoming interested in the northern part of North Dakota which is evidenced by the fact that a Company has been formed at St. Paul, of which Marcus Johnson is the head, to build and operate a 200 barrel flour mill at McCumber, on the Thorne Extension running north from York. McCumber promises to be one of the best towns on this line, which is evidenced by the fact that Mr. Johnson selected it of all the towns on the line as the location for this big flour mill.

August 17, 1905

Creamery Ready for Business

The creamery, under the able management of Mr. Tousley, is open and ready for business. Mr. Tousley is busy renovating and rearranging some of the machinery so as to make it more handy in the proper handling of the cream and butter. While the patronage may not be large during the removal of this season's crop, Mr. Tousley expects that business will pick up more rapidly and continually grow better as the farmers get a little more time to give the proper attention to their dairying interests. Mr. Tousley has made a success of the Leonard creamery and if the patronage is given him here we will have a creamery that for product will be second to none in the state.

A Hot Phenomenon

Last Thursday morning at 4 o'clock we were somewhat surprised upon stepping out into the open air to encounter a terrific hot wave coming from the northwest, and at first looked around to see if there was a fire, as we didn't think it possible to have such heat without a fire close by. The hot wave did not continue long, but during the time it was here it ran the thermometer from where it was resting at 60 to 90 in less than a half hour. A few of the citizens were aroused from their slumber from the heat, some were scared of a calamity happening and others thought their building was on fire. Quite a heavy wind prevailed at the time.

August 31, 1905

Large Land Deal

The well known and desirable Peter Madsen farm east of town has again changed hands. Last fall Mr. Madsen, under whose skillful manipulation the farm has attained to a high degree of cultivation, disposed of the property to Mr. Wm. McDonald of Fargo, and returned to Denmark, his native land, with a competency on which to live out the remainder of his days.
Mr. McDonald paid $83,000 for the property. The first of August he, in his turn, and before having taken off a single crop, sold the property to Mr. George Schlosser, a wealthy resident of Mayville for $100,000, and who states that he would not sell it for less than $75 per acre. The increase in price of the successive sales of the property shows the substantial and upward tendency of land values locally, and Mr. Schlosser considers his investment a very desirable one. While nothing is definitely known as to his intentions in such regard it is to be hoped that Mr. Schlosser will remove from Mayville to the farm and make his permanent residence thereon.

September 28, 1905

Arrested for Kidnapping

Two harvest hands, Fred Doris and William Brown were arrested in Mayville last Thursday for enticing two girls away from their home, Rena and Rosa Harold, aged 17 and 16. The preliminary hearing was held at 1:00 o'clock Monday and the prisoners were bound over to the fall term of the district court. Bail was furnished to the sum of $100 each and the prisoners were set free.

October 5, 1905

Murdered near Amenia Sunday

Close, commonly known as “Chicago” Williams, colored, shot and killed George Walker, also colored, Sunday evening at 7:30 at the farm of Mr. Steinberg, about six miles east of Amenia in the Rush River township. Sunday afternoon five colored men were playing poker when Williams and Walker quarreled over a jackpot. Walker had a revolver, Williams was unarmed and managed to get away. He induced the young son of Mrs. Steinberg to get her shot gun, an old army musket, and loaded it with powder and shot and then went on a hunt for Walker later in the evening. The others around knew there was bad blood between the two men and as Walker was settling up he saw Williams approach. Walker started to draw his revolver, when some of the others caught him and took it away from him. Williams was about eight feet away and before anyone could interfere with him he raised the musket and fired point blank at Walker, shooting him in the left side just above the hip. Walker fell with a groan and died half an hour later. Williams was at once overpowered and the gun wrestled from him. Deputy Sheriff Ross soon arrived and took him to Casselton. The Coroner was notified and an inquest was held over the remains of Walker, which had meantime been brought to Casselton. The jury found that the murdered man had come to his death from a gunshot wound from a gun in the hands of Williams.
The Sheriff brought his prisoner to Fargo where he was arraigned before Judge Gearey at once.

Sold his Interest

Negotiations have been pending for the past few days with the result that E. C. Erb has sold his interest in the Disc Grader and Plow Co., to J. H. Gale and W. H. Simmons for the consideration of $10,000. With the financial aid that will e introduced into the company, combined with that of Mr. Houston, the treasurer, will give an added prestige which means success in the enterprise.
The Disc Grader and Plow Co. is less than a year old and their Disc attachment is of such good merit that the company have sold them in many states of the union, and within the last few weeks about a dozen have been shipped to Peter Erb, their agent, who is at present in Nebraska, and has disposed of them all.
Why not the Disc Grader and Plow Co. establish a foundry in Hunter for the manufacture of their product? It would save the middleman's profit, increase the business interests of Hunter and directly be an added profit to the company.

October 19, 1905

Change in Bank Management

Rumor has been current in town for the past few days that W. H. Beard has purchased the Farmers& Merchants banking business, which we can neither affirm or deny as Mr. Jaeger and Mr. Beard had nothing to give for publication, but enough information has been gleaned to state that Mr. Beard has purchased enough of the bank stock to have an active interest in its management and will no doubt assume control. Mr. Jaeger will leave for Minneapolis in a short time where has a lucrative position awaiting him.

November 16, 1905

A Close Call

Sometime in the afternoon of this week one of the Schuer family started a fire to burn some refuse from around the house and the high wind prevailing drove the flames through the stubble for a mile to Free Fisk's place-better known as the Norrish farm-and the entire set of buildings would have been consumed only for the prompt action of one of Mr. Fisk's young sons who phoned to Hunter for help, which arrived there just in time, and as a consequence lost only one stack of hay. Mr. Fisk was in town when the fire started and it was lucky for him that he had phone connection with town.

November 23, 1905

Burned to Death

A disastrous prairie fire visited Edgeley last week and has destroyed a number of farm homes. Three children are reported burned to death near Gackle, and there are four people in the local hospital suffering from burns. A number of Russian farmers have lost everything they possess-horses, barns, granaries and grain and their homes. The extent of the fire can be well imagined when it is realized that it has traveled all the way from Aberdeen, a distance of 100 miles. All the buildings on the big Sykes ranch, excepting the house, are reported burned. The loss will reach many thousands of dollars.-Call.

November 30, 1905

The Disc Grader & Plow Company Building

The Disc Grader & Plow Company has purchased from Dr. Duncan the west 25 feet of lots 13 and 14, block 1, paying for the same $500. This gives the above Company 25x100 feet of the west end of those two lots.
The Disc Grader & Plow Company has started the erection of a building 25x32 feet, one story, which will be used exclusively for the fast increasing business of the Company. The building will face the north and will contain an entry and three rooms, one for as office, one for consultation and the back one for storage purposes.

December 7, 1905

Silver Wedding

Monday evening of this week two dozen people assembled at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Thompson, and when everything was ready they proceeded to the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Wergin and successfully surprised the lady of the house, Mr. Wergin not being home just then, but only a few minutes elapsed before the worthy head of the house made his appearance, hatless, coatless and overcalled he was ushered into the presence of the company, and John was lost-for words to express his feelings. A very enjoyable evening it was. Mr. and Mrs. Wergin were presented with a silver baking dish which is to be in remembrance of the twenty-fifth anniversary of their wedding. Ice cream and refreshments were received.

December 14, 1905

Amenia Elevators Burned

Last Friday about noon fire was noticed in the cupola of one of the three big grain elevators of the Amenia & Sharon Land Co., located at Amenia with about 200,000 bushels of grain, mostly wheat, were destroyed by the fire. The capacity of the elevators was 250,000 bushels. All three were connected and the flames spread from one to the other. At 3 o'clock the buildings were a mass of ruins. It is impossible to estimate the amount of grain saved, but probably one-third was lost. The elevators were the largest in the state. The loss is between $75,000 and $100,000. The buildings and grain were well insured. The origin of the fire is a mystery and perhaps will never be definitely known. It is possible that the fire may be attributed to spontaneous combustion, superinduced by overheated grain.

December 21, 1905

The Hunter Telephone Co.
The Hunter Telephone Company has removed their office and equipment from the drug store, also the booth of the long distance line, to their new home on the west side and are nicely housed in very comfortable quarters, which is also the home of Lem Kiest, the head manipulator of construction. The company has installed one of the latest Stromburg-Carlson 200 drop alternating switchboards and a Frank B. Cook protection and terminal. The board is in good working order and giving the best of service and through the courtesy of Mr. Kiest we were shown how the apparatus worked and listened very attentively to his explanations of the various parts, which sounded very much like Greek to us, as we haven't studied up on alternating currents, induction coils, lightning arresters, heat coils and carbon surface, etc., but will make the remark right here that Hunter will have one of the very best telephone exchanges in the state. When a subscriber calls central, the drop falls, and a very small incandescent electric light is lit and stays lit until the operator puts the plug into the proper hole, and when you ring off-which very few do-a red signal appears and the light again shows up until the operator pulls that particular plug out. The Cook protection is to protect complicated trouble in the board from lightning and Mr. Kiest can also determine from the protector the nature of the trouble if any should appear, and also locate about the exact spot on the line where the trouble is. About 180 phones are in use at the present time, and more are being added each week. In the spring the company expects to build a line from Hunter to Galesburg, and extend the line from Arthur east to within a mile and a half of Argusville, the latter extension has already been started. New spurs and extensions will be put on the line in the spring from time to time, and with a continuous service, day and night Hunter and vicinity will have one of the best equipped and working lines in the state. Manager Baillie is making preparations to have new directories issued as soon as possible.


Otto G. T. Hanson died last Friday in St. Mary's hospital, Superior, Wis., at the age of 27 years. Decreased left Hunter the 4th of last November for Kidder county to take up some land, and from there was on his way to the woods to work during the winter when he was taken sick with typhoid fever and gradually sank until death relieved him of his sufferings. The remains were shipped to Hunter and arrived Tuesday morning. Services were conducted in the M. E. church, Tuesday at 1:00 p. m. by Rev. Murcheson and the remains were interred in the Hunter cemetery. Decreased was well and favorably known by a large circle of friends and leaves two sisters, Mrs. Martin Hansen and Mrs. Carl Peterson to mourn the early demise of their only brother.

December 28, 1905

Happily Surprised

The fiftieth anniversary of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Theodore L. Williams, was made the occasion of a pleasant surprise by the citizens Hunter. Preparations had been made in the Odd Fellows hall and when all was in readiness the aged couple was escorted thither where they were congratulated and entertained by their many friends. After a short program consisting of musical selections, recitations, and impromptu speeches, Mr. Murcheson was called upon and on behalf of the citizens of Hunter presented Mr. and Mrs. Williams with the following articles as a slight token of the esteem in which they are held: A gold coin, silver berry spoon, crystal fruit dish and set of sauce dishes, sugar bowl and pitcher, and an aquarium of gold fish. Mrs. Williams, in behalf of herself and her aged partner made a feeling response. A short ceremony of reuniting nuptials was entered into after which all proceeded to the banquet hall where ample justice was done to the rich viands prepared by the ladies. A merry round of social chat and story was entered into, after which the company proceeded homeward satisfied that “santa” had once more performed a kindly act.
Mr. and Mrs. Williams were married in Prairie Round, Mich., and remained in that state and Iowa for a number of years before coming westward. Twenty-four years ago they located on a farm north-west of Arthur, where they continued to reside before retiring to their neat little cottage in Hunter.

2012 Contributed and copyrighted by Steven Pueppke

Newspaper Extractions Index
Back to the Cass County, NDGenWeb