Hunter News
1914 Hunter Herald

January 8, 1914

Pretty Home Wedding

The following announcement which was received here yesterday created great interest, because until recently the Rogers family were among our most prominent residents, their children grew up here, and only the other day Miss Jessie was one of the “sweet girl graduates” of Hunter High School. Miss Jessie Rogers and W. H. Walker, of Gardiner, Mont., were married at the home of her parents in Seattle, Washington, at one o'clock Wednesday afternoon, December thirty-first, by Rev. Mr. House, of the Second Baptist church of that city. Only the immediate family and a few of their most intimate friends were present. The comfortable homelike rooms had been prettily decorated for the Christmas-tide and the happy couple stood under a large bell in the draped arched doorway between the parlor and the dining-room, both rooms being also decorated with white carnations and ferns. The bride wore a beautiful dress of white chiffon-messaline, trimmed with shadow lace dotted with pearls, and carried a lovely bouquet of white roses. Immediately after the elegant luncheon the bridal pair departed on a wedding trip to Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia; after which they will be at home to their friends in a cozy home waiting for them at Gardiner, Montana. Though the parents are well satisfied with their daughter's choice of a life companion, they miss her sorely in the home where there are now only Hazel and Clifford left, Mrs. Stephen Williston, whose home is near Blanchard, being their only other child. So the sons and daughters of Hunter are going out to help build up Christian homes and communities in the distant places. We are glad to believe they never forget their old home and school, and Jessie's friends and schoolmates, wherever they are dwelling, will be having thoughts of her at this time-thoughts that will be earnest prayers for her future well being and welfare in her distant home.

February 12, 1914

Bad Blaze

The contents and farm home of Sam Richardson, who lives about three miles west of Hunter, was totally destroyed by fire last Monday evening about 6:30. The lamp exploded, which set fire to the things around it, and in less time than it takes to tell it the whole house was a blaze. Mr. Richardson tried to smother the flame with a large blanket but the flame went thru the blanket and burned his forehead and those present had all they could do to get out of the house with their lives. There was no insurance and therefore all is a total loss, which Mr. Richardson says he values at about $2000.00. Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Fisk and Warren Fisk were there and they lost their winter wraps. The Richardson family is at present staying at the C. S. Collins farm. They will move to Montana this spring where they have a claim.

February 19, 1914

Sudden Death of an Old Hunter Resident

Edward Terance McDonald dropped dead at an early hour on Wednesday morning the 11th at Grassy Lake, Alberta, Canada.
Edward Terance McDonald was born near the city of St. John, New Brunswick, Canada, on October 12th, 1862. Coming to this state about the year 1883.
Mr. McDonald was for some twenty years a resident of the Hunter district, during the latter part of his residence running a livery barn in this town. Four years ago he removed with his family to the town of Grassy Lake, where he engaged in the livery business.
While attending a party out in the country he suddenly dropped dead in the midst of jollity and pleasure. Of a truth "In the midst of life we are in death."
The deceased leaves a widow and nine children. Three of the children are married, the rest are still with the mother. Word reached Hunter the latter end of last week, Peter McLachlin taking charge of the arrangements here. The funeral was to have taken place on Sunday but owing to the storm had to be postponed. On Monday the service was held in the First Presbyterian church at 2 o'clock, Rev. F. W. Thompson officiating. A large number of sympathizers gathered at the church and followed the remains to their last resting place. Mrs. McDonald and Mr. Scott, a business man of that place accompanied the remains here. On behalf of the residents of Hunter, the Herald desires to extend to the bereaved family the most sincere sympathy at this time.

Special Immigrant Train

F. C. Brewer and C. G. Dorsey agents for the Farmers Land and Loan Co., of Hunter, Cass County, North Dakota, were in Peoria last Monday arranging for a special immigrant train to Hunter, and Arthur, N. Dak. to be run from Peoria over the C., B. & Q. railway on February 26, providing proper preparations can be completed in time. C. A. Dohman, C. H. Parkhouse, Lee and Nelson Kamp, Thomas and Will Enright, W. F. and James Sutton and Fagott brothers, of Greene township, are all to move to Dakota the latter part of the month, and if the special train can be fully arranged for it will result in a very great saving of time on the road. Something like eleven cars are already booked, and need some six or eight more to insure the train. These are expected to be obtained from the vicinity of Danvers. The advantage will be that the train run to St. Paul in thirty-six hours and to Hunter, and Arthur in like time, thus reaching the destination in three days instead of in seven or eight as usual. If the deal culminates a tourist sleeper is hoped to be provided for the women and children, to be attached on the regular passenger train service. The scheme will be a fine one for all concerned, and in order that all preparations may be made it will be necessary for intending shippers to see either Mr. Brewer or Mr. Dorsey at once - El Paso Journal.

February 26, 1914

Bids $10,000 stock of merchandise for sale cheap. Sealed bids will be received up to noon Feb. 28, 1914, on the entire stock of general merchandise and fixtures of the Grandin Cooperative Co. Directors reserve the right to reject any and all bids. Address same to J. A. Elliott, secretary, Grandin, N. D.

March 12, 1914

New Garage Geo. W. Auringer of New Rockford will arrive here about the 20th of this month to open up a garage in the building that was used last year for that purpose. He is a first-class machinist and has had a very wide range of experience and comes here well recommended. Watch these columns for further announcements.

March 26, 1914


When it was announced Monday morning that Ethel Sayer was very low, a wave of sympathy swept thought all our hearts, she had so many bad spells, periods of great suffering that had been comparatively brief. We hoped for the best, so, when the afternoon brought the sad news of her departure from the earth, it came as a great shock, especially to her comrades of school days and members of the Sunday School and Christian Endeavor Society, as in both of these organizations she had long been a faithful and efficient worker when the long illness she has bravely born began and prevented her active participation in the work she loved so well. She never lost interest in it and showed always by word and deed it was near to her heart always. She kept until the last her interest in her many friends and spent the last work she ever did was a dainty piece of needle work for one of them, who is to be a bride. Ethel Alice Sayer was born September 25th, 1886, daughter of Mr. and Ms. Robert Sayer, on the old farm home two and a half miles northwest of here. Her grandfather, Joseph Sayer, was one of the oldest and most respected citizens of Hunter, and oldest both in point of age and length of residence. Ethel was the first born of her parents and one of the first white children born in the township of Hunter. She received her education in our school, and after her graduation was housekeeper and a true homemaker for her grandfather and her Uncle Frank as long as she was able, and it was one of the most cherished of all her unfulfilled aims that she should be well enough to be again the head and heart of that pleasant home. Hers was a strong, independent character with a firm bias toward the right in all things, that the world of today needs so badly. Her serious responsible views made her a favorite with the elderly people and she loved the children so well, especially her Sunday school class, that they had no choice but to love her in return. Besides her father and mother, brother and sister, grandfather and uncle and her aunt Sophia (Mrs. Martin Erb) of Whittier, California, will be heart-broken over the news that has gone to her. All the old friends who will long to comfort can only pray that they may find comfort and consolation from the source of all real help and comfort in such seasons of grief and bereavement-our loving Heavenly Father, so may we all pray for her bereaved family.

April 2, 1914


Oliver J. Pettit, was born near Hunter, on December 16, 1888. He died March 27, 1914. Was 25 years, three months and 11 days old at the time of his death. Mr. Pettit lived here until he was 15 years old, when he with his parents moved to Fargo, where he has since resided, with the exception of a few months, which he spent in Chicago at school. He was a printer by trade, working for some time in the Herald Office several years ago, also a linotype operator, and was a member of the International Typographical Union. He died at the home of his parents at 602 10th St. So., Fargo, at six p. m., on Friday of last week of pneumonia. He was taken to Wasem's undertaking parlors where he laid in state from two to four p. m. on Sunday. He was brought to Hunter on Monday for burial, interment taking place in the Hunter Cemetery, Rev. Old officiating. The relatives present at the funeral were: Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Pettit, father and mother, Leonard and Percy, brothers, all of Fargo; Mr. and Mrs. T. N. Pettit, of Gackle, the former a brother; Mr. and Mrs. Nelson of Grandin, uncle and aunt of the deceased and Joe Nelson of Fargo an uncle; and Miss Anna Nolte and A. Lingren of Fargo, friends. The absent relatives are: Mrs. R. T. Port of New York City, Mrs. J. L. Batley of Ballard, Wash., sisters, and G. F. Pettit of Seattle, Wash. Only memory of the boy is left, yet how beautiful, how uplifting his influence. For, after all, death is but slipping off of the outer body. To the broken-hearted father, mother, brothers and sisters, who left in sorrow where his footsteps shall never again find echo, The Herald and its many friends, extend their sympathy. When they have drained the cup may the peace that passeth all understanding come to them from One who cares for each little sparrow that falls.

April 9, 1914

Called Home

"As a flower of the field, so he flourisheth. For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone, and the place thereof shall know no more."
These words from the one hundred and third Psalm, written as they were long, long ago, by one who was able to speak from that of the fullness of his own knowledge of life; seemed to have a new meaning for us, when we heard early last Sabbath morning, with great surprise and deep distress, of the unexpected death of Lois Muir, the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William C. Muir. Lois Irene Muir was born in the Village of Hunter on the 7th of July, 1899, and was a very familiar figure among our young people. Two weeks ago last Friday, March the 20th, was the last time she appeared outside her own home. The next day she was taken ill and confined to bed and after a brief illness, from which it was thought she was recovering, she passed away last Sabbath morning at 2:30 a. m. The funeral was held from the Presbyterian church at two o'clock Tuesday afternoon, Rev. Thompson officiating, interment taking place in the local cemetery. The church was crowded to the very doors, the sermon was very impressive, in which the bereaved were shown to look to our Father in Heaven for peace and comfort. There were many beautiful flowers, the casket being covered with wreaths and bunches of roses. The sad news cast a gloom over our entire community, and it was especially felt in the Sabbath school and the Christian Endeavor society of both of which she was a member. The words of the Psalmist have been recurring to our mind very often since we first heard of the sad occurrence, for they have a special significance in view of the circumstances. As a flower she has bloomed in our community for some time, and now the Great Gardener has transplanted the fair blossom to a Garden where no chilling winds can blow. None of the blighting influence of earth can ever dim the beauty or the fragrance of the young life in that Better Land. We miss the Flower, the fair would have retained it here, but we will not repine, nor murmer against the mysterious Providence which took from our midst so choice a Blossom, rather would we ask for the strength to say, “Even so Father for so it hath seemed good in Thy sight.” On behalf of the community the Herald would desire to express the most sincere sympathy for the bereaved in this great trial. May the God of Peace comfort you in your sorrow. Notice of Dissolution of Partnership Notice is hereby given that the Millinery Firm of Bruton & Ellingson, of Hunter, N. D., have, by mutual agreement, dissolved partnership, on this 21st day of March, 1914. Miss Mable Bruton having sold all her right, interest and title in the above mentioned firm to Miss Bertha Ellingson, who will collect all accounts due said firm and pay all bills against said firm. Miss Mable Bruton, Miss Bertha Ellingson, dated at Hunter, N. D., this 21st day of March, 1914.

June 11, 1914

Light Plant Sold

On Thursday afternoon of last week a deal was closed by which the Hunter Light & Power Co., changed hands. J. B. Hockridge having purchased the same outright. Mr. Hockridge says that the name of the new firm will remain as before, and that he will endeavor to give the patrons the best service that can be given. The new firm is going to enlarge the plant and in a few months will be able to give Hunter a 24 hour service all the time. There will be a lot of improving all along the line just as soon as they can get help to do so. We wish the new firm all the success possible.

June 25, 1914

C. M. Beitler Resigns

C. M. Beitler, who for the past eight years has held the position of superintendent of the Hunter High School, resigned last week Wednesday and his resignation has been accepted by the school board. Mr. Beitler came to us from Attica, Ohio, and took charge of our school when it was only a poor second class high school and he has built up the school so that now we have one of the best first class high schools in the state, with a fine reputation among the educators of the north-west. During his stay here he has worked very hard for the welfare of the pupils, and the number of graduates stands as a fitting monument to his untiring efforts. He is entitled to more credit than most people give him for the excellent work he has done. There have been 51 graduates from our school during his stay with us, the smallest class being two in 1909 and the largest class being 12 in 1911. As a citizen, he has been an ideal one, he is a man of clean, good moral habits and has set an example for the boys and girls of Hunter and vicinity they can well follow. He is a member of the Methodist Protestant church and always was a worker in the Sunday schools. His influence among the boys and girls has been remarkable. As a booster, for the welfare of the community, he had no equal, he gave many hours of his time to instructing several new members in the band, and the orchestra, and was always ready to give us assistance when called upon to do so. Mr. Beitler received his early school education in the Carey, Ohio high school graduating in 1894; taught three years in the rural school; he entered Ohio Wesleyan University, graduating in 1901. While attending the university he enlisted with Co. K. of the 4th Ohio volunteers infantry, for service in war with Spain, being one of the fortunate ones who were permitted to serve at the front, being a member of Gen. Mile's expedition to Puerto Rico. On his return, he having served through the various grades of non-commissioned officers, he was commissioned a First Lieutenant in the 2nd Ohio National Guards, serving for four years in that capacity. After graduating from the university he had charge of the latin department of the city high school of Bellefontaine, Ohio, from there he went to the High School of New Washington, Ohio as principal from which position he was elected as superintendent of the High School of Attica, Ohio and from there he came to Hunter. G. M. Beitler is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the A. F. & A. M., and is most highly respected by the large number of members of these great orders. Mr. Beitler will shortly leave for Homestead, Florida, where he will have charge of the public schools of that place. The citizens of Homestead can rest assured that they are getting a man, who stands very high in the esteem of educators of this state, and one who will give the best there is in him for the welfare of all concerned. While we will miss him, the best wishes of all in this community go out with him to his new home, where he has a great opportunity, and our loss is their gain.

July 18, 1914


At high noon, Tuesday, June 30th, at the home of Mrs. and Mrs. Chas. Bourcy, occurred the marriage of Robert Wheelock Muir, attorney of Hunter, N. D., son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Muir, and Miss Lulu Myrtle Bourcy. The ceremony was performed by Rev. J. Johnson, rector of Richwood. The wedding was a splendid affair but only the close friends of the contracting parties were in attendance. The bride was given in marriage by her father. Witnesses of the ceremony were Miss Myrtle M. Baker of Moorhead, friend of the bride, attained by attending Normal School at Moorhead, and Stanton Muir, nephew of the groom. Florence Monchamp played Mendelssohn's wedding march. The bride was preceded by little Bernice Monchamp carrying the wedding ring in the heart of a white rose, and the marriage took place under a beautiful arch made up of ladies' slipper blossoms, in the south bay windows, which was decorated with roses, ferns and carnations. The bride was gowned in white silk crepe de meteor, draped with shadow overlace, a wreath of white roses on her head and carried a bouquet of bride's roses. After the usual congratulations a delicious wedding luncheon was served. The bride is a successful first grade teacher of a number of years experience and has obtained the friendship of a large host of friends. As a resident in our midst her presence in all of our social and neighborly intercourse has been a pleasant one, and we most warmly extend our best wishes and congratulations. - Detroit Herald. Hog Motor

One of the greatest attractions at the Fargo and Grand Forks fairs will be the "Hog Motor" where hogs grind their own grain. Don't go home without seeing it.

November 5, 1914

Called Home

The afternoon of Monday, 2nd of November, was a beautiful one, and there was that indefinable something which one often notices about the last days of the late fall, and which grips the imagination with a force difficult to explain. The sky was so blue, and the westering sun seemed to linger lovingly over the broad sweeping prairies, filling the land with beauty. Such a day and such a scene suggested peace and rest and such it proved to one who had for long known what it was to carry a heavy burden. The cross was a heavy one to carry, even though loving hearts and hands did all that could be done to make the cross less burdensome. In the year 1892 Mr. Eli Thompson and his family came to the Village of Hunter, N. D. to reside. Naturally, being in the business of village blacksmith, his family became well known; and so when this issue of the Herald goes forth on its long tour to the East and the West, to the North and the South, it will carry with it to many old friends and familiar acquaintances the news of the death of Bert Thompson, eldest son of Eli and Mrs. Thompson. Bert Elmer Thompson was born on the 18th day of April, 1880, and for the last ten years of his life has been the victim of a strange malady for which the best medical experts could do nothing. On or about the 3rd of Nov. 1904, in the prime of his young manhood, the dreadful grip of the disease laid hold of him. For some time it was hoped and believed that medical skill would be victorious, but alas! for human hopes there was nothing left to do but "Wait, meekly wait, and murmur not." But the days of waiting were brightened by the smiling face of the one called upon to bear the heavy cross of being a constant burden to others, though to the loving hands that tended, it was a labor of love. Cheerful and bright to the end, there was no idle complaining about the harshness of his lot while others enjoyed the rights and privileges of vigorous manhood. The last walk taken by him was at the Christmas season of 1904 when, after a slight recovery, he was able to go to one of the stores to purchase some gift, as a loving token for the one who was for him “the only woman in the world.” - his mother. The end came quietly, peacefully, as the western sky was all aglow with the compelling grandeur of the setting sun, a glory that the pen of a poet, or the pencil of an artist could only partially reveal. “For eye hath not seen, nor ever heard, neither have entered into the heart of man the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.” And so on the afternoon of Monday last, one could not help but think, that the last lingering rays of the sun, filling all the land with beauty, was the golden light highway which led Home, the weary son to the Father's House, where “They toil not, neither do they spin.” “They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more-and God shall weep away every tear from their eyes.” The funeral service was held at the Methodist Church on Wednesday 4th at 2:30. P. M. The Rev. Mr. Stinson M. E. pastor conducted the service, assisted by the Rev. F. W. Thompson, Presbyterian pastor. Many beautiful floral tributes gave evidence to the respect in which the deceased was held. Besides those from friends of the family, there were bouquets from the Epworth League, the Presbyterian Christian Endeavor, the Odd Fellows, Rebeccas, and the Yeomen. The pallbearers were: Lloyd Collins, Louie Runnestrand, Harvey Brenner, Peter Larson, Clyde Fisk, Bruce Brewer, visitors from out of town present for the occasion: Mr. and Ms. Acton, Fargo, Mr. and Mrs. Humphrey, Grandin, Mrs. McMullen, Minnewaukan, Mr. Pettit, Fargo. The Herald voices the sympathy of the community with the bereaved family during this time of trial.

November 12, 1914


On Wednesday, November 11th, 1914 at two o'clock in the afternoon, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Nelson, of Absaraka, occurred the marriage of Carl J. Nepp, our popular Great Northern depot agent to Miss Christina Nelson. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Stinson of the Hunter M. E. church. The home was beautifully decorated in white, and after the ceremony had been performed all the guests, of which there were about fifty, gathered in the dining room where a most delicious dinner was served. The bridal couple left on Thursday for an extended tour of different parts of eastern Minnesota, where they will visit for some time, and then they will come to Hunter on or about the 17th of this month, and will make their home in this town, Mr. Nepp has rented the Adams house and has been busy furnishing the same. Miss Nelson is one of the most popular young ladies of that community and her friends will wish her a bright and happy life in her new home. Carl J. Nepp is a young man, who has been agent here for some time and is well liked by all and his many friends here and elsewhere wish him all possible joy.

2009 Copyrighted and Contributed by Steven Pueppke

Newspaper Extractions Index
Back to the Cass County, NDGenWeb