Hunter News 1915 Hunter Herald


January 7, 1915

Married
On Wednesday, January 6th, occurred the marriage of Miss Eva Miller, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Miller of Ausable Forks, N. Y., to Mr. Harry Foster Gale, of this place, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Gale. The bride is one of the most popular young ladies of the community in which she has been a leader in society. The groom is one of the most popular young men of Hunter. He was born here and has spent all his life in this place, he is a young man of exceptionally good habits, is well liked by both young and old and one of the coming young business men of this community. The wedding took place at the home of the bride's parents at Ausable Forks, N. Y. After the wedding the bride and groom will spend some time in the east visiting with friends and relatives and will arrive here some time the end of this month. The Herald and its many friends will sure welcome the happy couple on their arrival and they all join in wishing them a long, happy and prosperous wedded life.


January 14, 1915

Auto for Sale

45 horsepower Marmon Roadster, 1910 Model, for sale cheap, in first class condition. Completely overhauled a short time ago, new tires and radiator, Presto headlights and electric tail light, extra casing and inner tubes, full set of tools and a vulcanizing set. I will gladly give anyone who is interested a demonstration at any time. Reason for selling: I am leaving town. A bargain if taken at once. Phone or write me at the Critchfield farm, Hunter, N. D. Donald Gray, Hunter, N. D.


January 28, 1915

Church-Aiken

A very pretty wedding took place at twelve o'clock Thursday, January 21st, when Miss Beryl Church and Egbert Aiken, attended by Miss Hattie Church and Clarence Aiken, were married at the home of the bride's mother, Mrs. F. Church, Rev. Stinson officiating.
The bride wore a gown of white lace over crepe-de-chine and carried white roses. Her veil was arranged with lilies of the valley.
Miss Hattie Church, the maid of honor, wore flesh colored crepe.
The house was decorated in white and green and the color scheme was carried out in the dining room by means of white lilies and ferns.
The vows were taken in the presence of relatives of the bride and groom, Rev. and Mrs. Stinson and Miss Lincoln, who played the wedding march. The out of town guests were Misses Florence and Lois Samson of Erie and Robt. Samson of Karimure, Alta.
The happy couple left the same evening for a wedding tour to the twin cities. The Herald and its many readers wish them a long and prosperous wedded life.


February 18, 1915

Rev. F. W. Thompson receives Call to Mandan

The First Presbyterian Church of Mandan, N. D. has given an unanimous invitation to the Rev. F. W. Thompson, Hunter, to become the pastor of that church. Mandan has a population of about five thousand, and is a growing city situated about six miles west of Bismarck. We understand that Mr. Thompson has accepted the call and will leave about the end of the church year.


April 1, 1915

Methodist Episcopal Services

On Wednesday March 24th at high noon we had the pleasure of officiating at a pretty home wedding at Oak Grove Farm 5 miles East of Hunter. The contracting parties were Miss Gladys L. Freeman and Mr. Grove Ludy.
The young couple entered, unattended, to the strains of the wedding march played by Mrs. Stinson. After the ceremony which was performed in the presence of a company of friends and relatives the guests repaired to the dining room where a sumptuous wedding feast was spread. The young couple received a number of useful and beautiful wedding presents. The young couple is well favorably known and expects to locate on a farm near the home of the bride's parents.


April 15, 1915

E. F. Morey Resigns Position at Bank

E. F. Morey, who has been the efficient second assistant cashier at the First National Bank of this city, last week resigned his position and will leave the latter part of the week for Bayfield, Wis. where Mr. Morey has purchased some land. The resignation of Mr. Morey came as a complete surprise to his many friends here for Mr. Morey has been one of our most likeable young men and he will be greatly missed by all. The cause of his removal from our city is the scarcity of houses for he has been unable to get a house since losing his several weeks ago. Mrs. Morey is at present visiting with relatives but will soon join her husband in their new home where they have the best and most sincere wishes of their many friends for a continued success and happiness. In leaving our midst Mr. Morey not only deprives our city of the welcome presence of himself and wife, but also takes the present president of the Commercial Club as Booseter Baillie will accompany them. Mr. Baillie during his stay in our city has done much for its betterment and much of the progressive spirit we have shown can be laid at his door, and we trust that in Bayfield the position of town booster will be conferred upon him. - Tower City Topics April 22, 1915

Laid to Rest

The remains of the late John Winnistorfer arrived here Monday from Reader, this state. They were accompanied by his brother, Jake of Hunter, who went and brought them.
The funeral was held here on Tuesday forenoon from the Catholic church, Rev. Father Fay of Page officiating, and the remains were laid to rest in the local cemetery.
He was born at Leonard, N. D. on the 18th of October 1885 and died at Reader, N. D., on April 16th. He was not married.
Those from a distance were his brother Henry from Alice and Anton and Andrew Hayertz of Alice.
The sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved in the hour of their deep sorrow.


June 24, 1915

Carbolic Acid Proves Fatal

Mrs. Nellie Sutton, aged 32, drank carbolic acid at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. P. W. Cardiff, of Blanchard, shortly after 8 o'clock Friday night and died a few moments later.
She is believed to have taken the poison by mistake, thinking it was medicine she had been taking for a slight illness.
After drinking the acid in her bedroom on the second floor of the Cardiff residence, the unfortunate woman managed to make her way downstairs and called for aid, but was unable to give any account of how she happened to take the poison and was soon insensible.
Medical attendance was summoned but Mrs. Sutton was dead before the doctor arrived.
Mrs. Sutton had lived in Illinois with her husband since the time of her marriage some sixteen years ago. She came to Blanchard a month ago to visit her father who is a prominent farmer.
She has been slightly unwell for some past and had medicine and also the carbolic acid in her room. It is supposed that she made a mistake in the bottles and drank the acid thinking it was medicine.
Mrs. Cardiff is away on a visit and has not been notified as yet of her daughter's death.


July 1, 1915

Osborne-Maxfield Nuptials

On last Wednesday at high noon at the home of Mrs. Osborne which was tastefully decorated for the occasion, Rev. Aaron Wolfe of the Presbyterian Church united in marriage Miss Emma L. Osborne to Mr. George Maxfield using the ring service. Preceding the ceremony Miss Jennie Gale sang a beautiful selection which helped to make the service impressive. Those present were Rev. Wolfe and wife, the immediate relatives of the bride and groom, Miss Jennie Gale, Miss Sarah Stewart and Miss Odell. Immediately after the ceremony Miss Stewart and Miss Odell assisted in serving a dainty four course luncheon. The bride wore a very pretty gown of white crepe de chene and carried a shower bouquet. The bride will be greatly missed by her many friends in Hunter whose hearty good wishes follow her and her husband to their new home. The Presbyterian church of which she has been an active member, taking prominent part in C. E. and S. S., will miss her and wish for them prosperity and happiness. Mr. Maxfield is engaged in the grain business in Michigan, N. D. They departed at 4:30 amidst a shower of rice and good wishes for Fargo where they took the evening train for a two weeks' visit in Minneapolis after which they will be at home to their friends in Michigan, N. Dak.


July 15, 1915

In Memorium

Never was the truth of the apothem "in the midst of life we may be very near the border line," more forcibly than in this case. Last Friday afternoon the subject of this sketch, Mrs. Lettie Robinson, attended the meeting of the W. C. T. U. in Arthur, and her friends remarked on her healthful and youthful appearance and on Saturday forenoon she had passed over to the great beyond without an opportunity to even say good bye to those she so dearly loved. Lettie Mullin was born in a little hamlet in County Huron, Ontario, March 8th, 1863 and was left motherless at an early age; which misfortune she hardly ever realized owing to the loving and devoted care of her Aunt Miss Aurelia Mullins who with heroic self sacrifice took her to her heart and home thence forth devoting her life to her and hers. At the age of 22 she was married in Ontario to Mr. John Mitchell, and to them were born three children, Carl, Harry, and Pauline. After their father's death, Mrs. Mitchell brought her children and her aunt to this town that they might be near her husband's people. Not long after their arrival here the boys, both bright manly little fellows, died from the effects of an attack of malignant diphtheria they had suffered before they left Ontario and the daughter who survives her mother is a graduate of Hunter High School and of the Moorhead, Minn. Normal School. All through this community and at Wheatland Mrs. Mitchell won for herself golden opinions by her cheerful and efficient helpfulness as she worked among us to keep and educate her children, and in 1900 she was married at Winnipeg to Mr. Oscar Robinson one of the early residents of Hunter, and they have since made their home in this town or vicinity, and both have been active and efficient members of our society. Mrs. Robinson was a prominent member of both the Rebecca and Yeoman Lodges, of the Presbyterian Church and of the W. C. T. U. And she will be sorely missed from the activities of all these organizations, but we know our loss is her gain and that today she has as a friend remarked, her boys once more. That the deepest sympathy of our whole community goes out to the bereaved was clearly shown by the great sympathetic crowd that gathered in spite of bad weather and worse roads, to do her honor, and by the profusion of most beautiful flowers from those who had found her a most excellent friend and neighbor. Mrs. L. L. Muir.


August 26, 1915

Hunter, N. D., Cass County City That Has “Found Itself”

Entertain St. Paul Boosters
They are fortunate in securing a man like Aaron Wolfe, for their secretary. He is pastor of the First Presbyterian church and although his beard is streaked with gray, he is one of those men young in spirit that make a church such as a living vital force in any community. Rev. Wolfe takes good care that the visitor does not miss the good points of Hunter and we were deeply impressed with his enthusiasm and ability as he told us all of the work that the club is planning to do this coming winter. The first work that the club had to do was to entertain the St. Paul boosters. Again in cooperation with the ladies they prepared hundreds of bouquets of flowers and when the special arrived every delegate was given a fragrant souvenir, not only that but the engineer, the fireman and every railroad man was remembered and when the delegates returned to their train they found the tables decorated and the dining car was a bower of sweet peas. Not on their whole trip these business men report did they have such an enthusiastic reception as was given them at Hunter. In fact they far overstayed their time but they voted unanimously that it was worth it. J. G. Knudtson had charge of the parade and he cleverly arranged a series of floats and banners that one their inscriptions showed the new spirit of Hunter. One, “We like Hunter, do you?” was especially appropriate and was taken by the boosters on their special train. A delegation of little girls all dressed in white presented a great basket of the flowers to the secretary of the delegation.

City of Flowers and Trees

Hunter is a city of flowers. There is not a yard but what has its quota and even one of the churches has a special flower bed to furnish fresh blossoms for the church each Sunday morning. Then their trees are wonderful, great towering groves of them arch over the streets like those in some down eastern village. W. F. Baillie, one of the pioneer citizens, kept insisting that we notice their trees and he was most enthusiastic in his praise of them. The citizens can well be proud of their forest like streets. It is all due to the efforts of the pioneers that they have them now, for thirty-five years ago there was not a tree nor shrub on the spot where Hunter stands.

Early History

The first settlement at Hunter was made in 1880 when the railroad went through and was named after General John Hunter of Pennsylvania. The early settlers tell quite humorously of the offer made by General Hunter. It seems that he offered to give quite a substantial donation to the church if they would name the town after him. They did so and waited the gift expectantly. It turned out to be a crisp new ten dollar bill. The first house was built by Arthur Muir. It is still his residence and is surrounded by beautiful trees and elegant flower gardens. Mr. Muir was once a candidate for governor of North Dakota and in 1890 came within three votes of being elected to the United States senate. He served throughout the civil war and now in his eightieth year his chief delight is to tell of the progress Hunter has made and of its future in this rich farming country.

Distributing Center

Hunter has three grain elevators with the capacity of 400,000 bushels and two potato warehouses, one of which has a storage capacity of 22,000 bushels. It might be interesting to note that Hunter far exceeds the famous Clay county shipping points in the production of potatoes. This year they will ship 175 cars. They ship 30 cans of cream a week where last year they sent twenty. That stock raising is increasing is shown by the fact that they now ship on the average of two cars of stock each month, and with better freight facilities, they will ship more. This year they expect to ship 225 cars of grain. The banks show very prosperous conditions. The Farmers and Merchants Bank of which H M. Weiser is president and J. C. Collins cashier has total deposits of $66,000. Mr. Collins is also treasurer of the commercial club. The First National Bank of which Hon. J. H. Gale is president and Pete McLachlin cashier and F. R. Simmons assistant cashier has deposits of $129, 219. C. M. Beitler is superintendent of schools. The four year high school is in the first class and thus receives state aid. There are fifty-seven students in the high school a total of 200 in both buildings. Courses are given in agriculture, domestic science and manual training. The city has a well equipped electric light plant giving twenty-four hour service and the religious life of the community is cared for by four churches, the Methodist, Catholic, Presbyterian and Lutheran. As a result of the efforts of the commercial club a bandstand has been erected in the square and the Hunter band, and excellent organization of which R. J. Critchfield is director, gives frequent concerts. The town has an active W. C. T. U. of fifty-four members. Mrs. Walter Muir has been the efficient president for thirty years. Mrs. W. C. Muir is secretary, Mrs. Sylvia Kelsey is treasurer and the vice presidents are Mrs. Charles Collins, Mrs. Nels Johnson and Mrs. E. Spare. The club is planning to erect a fountain in the center of the town which will be supplied by a flowing artesian well which the town has dug for the convenience of the farmers. The well flows constantly and the water is very pure. Near the town is a little river fed by flowing artesian wells. With a little work, Elm creek as it is known, could be made into Elm lake for the natural depression of the sod presents a splendid opportunity to make this another beauty spot where chautauquas and civic events could be held. Perhaps this is one of the things the commercial club is planning for next spring. The village is governed by a board of which Ing Moen is president and Nels Johnson, Peter Craig, Ralph Thompson, and B. D. Lane are trustees. Hunter is fortunate in its stores. Many of which are run by Hunter citizens who are active in working for the best interest of the community. R. Mitchell who has a well equipped harness shop has been a citizen of Hunter for twenty-nine years, and J. H. Gale, H. H. Carr, J. R. Knudson are all pioneers. The large Odd Fellows hall is the meeting place for several fraternal organizations. The Hunter Herald, edited by F. O. Eberhardt is the official paper of Cass county and is doing a great deal to further the new spirit of progress in Hunter.

The Crops
Desiring that we should see by personal inspection the splendid farms that contribute so much to this territory, through the courtesy of the commercial club we were able to take extensive auto trips about the country so that we might be inoculated with some of their enthusiasm. In the morning, T. C. Hockridge, one of the county commissioners and a successful farmer, took us to farms near Hunter, where the grain shocks are so think that a team could hardly get through them, where heads of grain have as many as forty kernels, and when the shock is lifted the heads are so heavy that, like the needle of the compass, they turn immediately to the ground. All of the farms about here are well equipped, with elegant spacious homes set back in groves of trees and reflecting the prosperity that seems so abundant. On one farm, that of Louis Hanson, they have corn that is twelve feet high, fields of clover looking beautiful, with the multitude of red blossoms and waving fields of wheat that appeared as of pure gold. In the afternoon, we had the pleasure of making a trip with J H. Gale, another prominent citizen and secretary of the Farmers Land & Loan Co, that has brought many settlers from Illinois and middle western states to Cass County. Among the farms that have good crops this year are, J. G. Russell, J. M. Redmond, M. O. Ramstad, John Wergin, Henry Worsley, Peter McLachlin, J. E. Hoxie, H. T. Brewer (who has some very fine stock), Ing Moen, Newton Bros., (whose horses took several first prizes at the North Dakota and interstate fairs), H. E. McVeigh, and L. Tudor. One has to see these splendid farms with their elegant crops and beautiful farm homes to realize what an asset good farms are in a community. Melvin Hildreth


September 23, 1915

School Opens
The Hunter Public Schools opened Monday, Sept. 13th. The following compose the corps of teachers. Claude M. Beitler, Supt. Science, Robert W. Muir, Prin. of High School, Mathematics and Manual Training, Leona B. Jones, English and History, Estelle McKelvey, Latin, German and English, Alice Olson, Music and Drawing, Elizabeth Peterson, Seventh and Eighth Grades, Minnie M. Young, Fifth and Sixth Grades, Ruth Odell, Third and Fourth Grades, Edna Travis, First and Second Grades. The following numbers have enrolled: first grade 18, second 11, third 9, fourth 5, fifth 20, sixth 14, seventh 8, high school 40, total 137. It is the desire of those in authority that this be one of the most profitable years in the history of the school, and in order to make it such it will be necessary that there be sympathetic cooperation of parent and teacher. The patrons are cordially invited to visit the schools and get acquainted with the teachers; that they may understand each other and work for a common end. The people of Hunter and vicinity have been noted for their hearty cooperation in the past and we are sure this present school year will be no exception to the rule.


October 21, 1915

Open for Business

R. J. Critchfield and family have moved in from the farm and have opened a hotel in the Critchfield building. The place has been named “Ann Inn.” It has been fixed up and nicely furnished and is open for the public, it is a nice building, nicely located and heated by a furnace. The traveling public is especially invited to make this place their home while in Hunter. Hunter has been without a hotel for some time and we all should boost this place. If strangers come to town show them where they can find a good place to stop. For Sale

The Hunter Livery, Feed & Sale Stable is for sale, with or without the equipment. The building is 50x90 ft. large enough for 44 horses and 20 buggies, hay loft and 50 tons hay, good well in barn, plenty of room for feed. A good location and now doing a good business. For further particulars, see or write, Krogstad & Johnson.


October 28, 1915

Word was received here the latter part of last week which announced the sudden death of C. C. Carter of Geneva, Ohio, on October 15, 1915, he being 71 years old. He came here 36 years ago and homesteaded on the farm now owned by J. K. Fuller south of Hunter, and lived on that farm for 22 years and then went to his old home in Ohio where he lived until his death. Mr. Carter was well known to many of the old timers here. He leaves his wife and daughter, Mrs. C. J. Williams, two sisters in Painesville, Ohio, one sister in Fargo and one brother in Gardner, N. D., and hosts of friends to mourn his demise. He was buried in Painesville, Ohio.

Died

Rolff O. Moen died Monday evening of this week. Mr. Moen lived with his son Louie on the latter farm, the past nine years, and was 80 years old. The funeral services were held on Wed. afternoon. He leaves to mourn several relatives and a host of friends.


November 11, 1915

Changes Owners
The Hunter Livery Feed & Sale Stable changed owners last Tuesday when the Rasmussen Bros., Axel and Richard, purchased the business and took possession. The new owners are well known young men and will continue to do business at the old stand. They will do all kinds of draying and livery as well as the auto livery. We welcome the new owners and wish them success.
Messrs. Krogstad and Johnson have not decided why they will do in the future but the best wishes of the public go with them in whatever they undertake.
Equity Store Sells Out The announcement printed elsewhere in this issue that the Equity Store is closing out its business will come as a surprise to our readers. This store was opened four years ago and was bought by D. J. Tinnes and renamed the Equity Store early in 1915. Most of the time since it has been under the charge of L. A. Tinnes, his father having devoted most of his time to his interests elsewhere. Lloyd has proved a popular and successful manager and his patrons will miss him. He wants to begin a course at the University as soon as he can be spared from the business. We are not informed what Mr. Tinnes' plans are but assume that in his not very satisfactory state of health, he feels that he has too much on his hands. It is reported that the store building has been let for another line of business so the number of business places in Hunter will not be lessened.


November 18, 1915

Hunter-Past and Future

It is difficult to fix on the exact time when Hunter became a village. In June of 1880 the tents of the railroad construction crew which built the bridge over the “coulee” were standing where Hunter now is. Even Johnson and Jorgen Anderson had claims on opposite sides of the coulee, and another homesteader, Peter Erickson, lived about a half mile east. In September of that year the first train arrived at Hunter and from that time its growth was a rapid one. A depot was built. Henry Ruthruff put up the first store, the upper part of which was used as a home. During the winter of 1881 it was converted into a schoolroom, where Jed Noyes taught the first school of about 20 pupils. In spite of an exceptionally wet spring, building operations began early. Addison Brenner ran the first hotel, Peter Duffany and J. H. Gale put in the first general store. Other stores, elevators, and dwelling houses were soon added to the village. A schoolhouse was constructed and Miss Sarah Congdon was the first teacher employed. Three saloons were operated in the village limits, and thrived until the constitution of the State of North Dakota banished them. Rev. E. R. Pritchard organized the first church in 1883, and the first church building, the Presbyterian, was erected in 1887. Hunter has developed steadily since that time. Her people are home lovers, as can be seen from the well kept lawns, cement sidewalks, and beautiful shade trees which adorn the streets, and serve as settings for the residences. Her people appreciate the value of education as is shown by the modern high school building which shelters a high school of the first class, the best for its size in the state. Her people are progressing, energetic, and peaceable, for the business men keep up to date goods, automobiles are used almost to the exclusion of horses, and the courtroom and jail are always empty. So much for Hunter as she is and has been. What the future holds is of great interest to us. Hunter is beginning to feel herself to be a community of people working together for the greatest good to the greatest number. If this spirit prevails, and narrow selfishness is set aside, this village can become a power for good and a community of happy people. There are a number of occupations and professions that are not represented here. The moment we show there is a very good chance of success offered to any business it will locate here. The higher the development of the community spirit the better the chance of success will become. Soon we shall have permanent, well constructed, well cared for roads radiating from Hunter in every direction, enabling the farmers to haul larger loads easier than the ordinary loads are hauled now. These roads will extend east and west from the village, and will be for the farmer's profit, rather than the tourist's pleasure. All other roads will be dragged and taken care of for it will be realized that the cost of hauling over poor roads is needlessly high. Our school system will be consolidated, thereby permitting the children to have all the advantages of city schools in equipment, trained teachers, and contact with others; without the temptation and distractions of city life, and without breaking up the home or passing beyond its influence. The school will be a center of social activity, and a practical aid to the farmers helping them to solve their problems. We shall have a commodious hall to be used for public gatherings of all sorts, a place where indoor games can be played and the winter months made to pass more pleasantly and profitably. It such a project is feasible, a lake formed by a dam across our “coulee” would be a fine thing for the community. It would give us a place for fishing, bathing, boating and skating. It would increase the value of the land here, and would probably largely increase our village population. It would help to give our sons and daughters a little happiness, and serve to check their rush to the city. All of the things mentioned above are possible if we wish to make them so.

Hunter Churches

A town or community without a church is like a rose without its fragrance, or perhaps more proverbial, as a body without a soul-dead. Church life is always essential to the uplift of any community. Hunter, North Dakota has four churches, the Presbyterian, the Methodist, the Lutheran and the Catholic.

Presbyterian Church
The Presbyterian being the first church organized in Hunter was organized over thirty years ago. On May the 14, 1882 the Rev. Mr. E. R. Prichard began services here, and we find the following on record as regards this church. Mr. Prichard effected an organization of the Presbyterian church July, 18, 1888, with 17 charter members, three of whom are still members. The following ministers have served this church since its organization. From May 1882 to March 1886 Rev. Mr. Prichard; from March 1886 to Febr. 1889 J. L. Young; Febr. 1889 to Jan. 1892 Geo. Furnace; from Febr. 1892 to Feb. 1894 Paul Andrews; March 1894 to March 16, 1896 L. E. Dank; April 1, 1896 to Dec. 1, 1898 S. G. Trindale; Dec. 1898 to Dec. 1901 S. Stone; Dec. 1901 to May 1906 W. S. Sheets; May 1906 to May 1911 N. E. Koehler; May 1911 to May 1915 W. F. Thompson; May 1915 the present pastorate began with Rev. Mr. Wolfe as minister. The following form was used for the organization of the Presbyterian church. In entering this organization of God's People, you do not profess to be of one mind in regard to minor differences which divide the church of Christ into smaller sects, but you do profess your unwavering Faith in the Scripture of the Old and New Testament as the Inspired Word of God and the only Infallible Rules of Faith and practice.

M. E. Church
The following is the record of the M. E. Church as near as we were able to secure it. David J. Sykes became the pastor of this church Oct. 17, 1892; Rev. Mr. Japeot Oct. 1893; C. D. Locklin April 24, 1894; Rev. Mr. Mitchel April 1895; D. H. Fosburg May 1, 1896; A. G. Runions April 25, 1900; W. C. Fry April 12, 1901; W. S. Holly Oct. 12, 1903; Geo. C. Kelly, Oct. 1904; J. M. Murckeson, Oct. 1905; L. D. Cook, July 1906; O. E. Tourtellotte, Apr. 1908; J. A. Kahl Apr. 1909; Rev. Mr. Frazell, Dec. 1910; L. W. Scott Oct. 11, 1911; Thomas Old, Oct. 1912; R. J. Stinson, Oct. 1914; O. L. Anthony, Oct. 1915. More of the history of this church we were unable to secure.

The Lutheran Church
The church was organized some time after the M. E. Church, but up to the time of the present we were able to secure any data as to its local organization as the party having access lives in the country. This church is much the same in doctrine as the Presbyterian. Their present minister is the Rev. Turmo.

The Catholic Church
The Catholic Church was built in 1899 with Rev. Father Quallan as pastor. Those who helped build it were H. Limburg, Wm. Fralish, W. H. Flynn, Joe O'Connor, John Ketter and others whose names are not known at present, Father Quallan was here until 1914, when Rev. Father Chas. Fay took his place.


December 2, 1915

Married

Last week Thursday occurred the marriage of Ruby Knudtson daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. G. Knudtson one of our popular merchants, to Warren Fisk, son of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Fisk, at Arnegard, this state. Mrs. Fisk is one of Hunter's most popular ladies, she being born and living here up to the present time. Mr. Fisk is a young man who is well known here having lived in Hunter for some time. The Herald and its many friends wish them all the joy and happiness they deserve.


December 16, 1915

Orchestra Plays at Gardner

Hunter's New 6 Piece orchestra went to Gardner last week Friday evening where they played at a dance given in the hall. There was a large crowd in attendance and those who attended say that the music was of the best and just as good as that of any orchestra that was ever in Gardner, that is some boost for the boys who played that evening. Those who want a good orchestra to play for their dances will do well to correspond with this one. Those who composed the orchestra were: Anton Johnson, Harry Critchfield, Harry Critchfield, Warren O'Dell, Almon Sayer, M. Miller, Robt. Caruth.



2009 Copyrighted and Contributed by Steven Pueppke
Newspaper Extractions Index
Back to the Cass County, NDGenWeb