Hunter News 1917Hunter Herald

Hunter Articles 1917 Hunter Herald

January 11, 1917

Passed Away

Mrs. Elsie Russell died here Tuesday night at 11:00. She will be buried here today, Thursday, from the Presbyterian church at 2 o'clock p. m. and the remains will be laid to rest in the Hunter cemetery. Obituary next week.

January 18, 1917


Mrs. Elsie Russell was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, on Nov. 22, 1829. Her maiden name was Elsie Duncan. In 1853 she married Alexander Russell and in 1855 the family, consisting of husband, wife, and two children, emigrated to central Ontario. In 1880 the family moved to North Dakota, living first at Casselton, then on their farm near Erie. They then moved to the old home place, southwest of Hunter, where they remained until husband and wife retired farming and moved into Hunter to live. They lived together there until death claimed Mr. Russell, on Jan. 28th, 1913. Since that time she has lived alone in her home until overtaken by death on Tuesday night, January 9th, 1917.
Of her family of eight children, five girls and three boys, there remain surviving her but three, Mrs. Agnes Hank of Walter, Okla.; William D. Russell of Grand Forks, N. D. and John G. Russell of Hunter.
Services were conducted from the Presbyterian Church of which she has been a faithful member for many years. Rev. Dr. Hunter of Fargo conducted the funeral services. The church was crowded with neighbors paying their last respects to her memory.
Another of the pioneers who helped to make this country what it is has passed over the Great Divide. What hardships they endured, what labors they performed, what great changes they witnessed it is not given to us who live in a more sheltered, easier world to realize. May we give as good an account of the opportunities we have as did these earlier settlers of theirs.
"Gran" Russell has passed to her reward. So shall we all. We will be fortunate indeed if we can show a life of such great usefulness as hers has been, a life full of loyalty to her family, love for her neighbors and devotion to God.

February 22, 1917

Bad Accident

Word was received here Monday from LaGrange, Ill., announcing the there had been a railroad wreck in which Christ Sorenson Sr., of this place, was badly hut, having several broken bones besides other injuries. His wife and son Chas. left Monday evening and are with him. It is thought that he will be able to leave there in a few days and will be brought to a hospital in Fargo.

Laid to Rest

Mrs. Flora Jane Bostwick Church was born in Barry Co., Mich., on November 9, 1858 and lived there until she was married to Calvin Church on May 15th, 1878. In 1895 they moved to Galesburg, N. D., and in 1903 to this place. Her husband and one child died shortly before moving here. She leaves to mourn her, a sister, Mrs. Sampson of Mica, Wash., three daughters, Mrs. H. Howard of Watford, Mrs. H. Brenner of Hunter and Mrs. E. Aiken of Fargo, all in this state. A father, J. S. Bostwick, Bertout, Colo., a brother A. E. Bostwick of Los Angeles, Cali.
Mrs. Church had been ailing for the past eight months, passing away from this earthly sphere on Sunday morning Feb. 18. The funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon, the remains laid to rest in our “City of the Dead” with Rev. Edwards of Erie officiating.
In the death of Mrs. Church we fully and keenly realize our loss. She was a true friend, and her devotion to those she loved would make a bright chapter in any life. Her retiring nature led her to hide her best qualities from public gaze, but they were revealed to those who enjoyed her acquaintance. She was a kind, loving mother, and her devotion to the family circle had no limit.
"God touched her with His finger, and she slept,” the poet wrote. So may we say of her. “God touched her with His finger, and she slept,” but not until a beautiful life was lived, a noble example of patience, fidelity to truth and faith were given. Not until visions of a heavenly life, in Christ Jesus, had cheered and illuminated the valley of the shadow. And now, that she sleeps, memory takes up the harp of life, and smiting the strings, finds that her virtues melt into music. So it ever is, when a life is nobly and divinely lived.
The sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved.

March 1, 1917

New Owners

The City Meat Market changed owners March 1st, 1917. Mel Ostrander who for the past 30 years has conducted this place has sold the same to Anton Johnson and Victor Larsen of this place. The two young boys are both well known in this community. Mr. Johnson having been employed in this village for the past 10 years as a butcher and knows the business from A to Z. Mr. Larsen is a young man who grew up in this vicinity and is well known and liked by all. They intend to run a first-class meat market, handling only the best of everything and ask that they be given a chance to serve you one and all. The Herald and its many readers wish the new owners the best of success in their new venture.

March 29, 1917 Hunter Cash Store

This is the name under which our Hunter store was started in the fall of 1911. How closely the first owners hewed to the cash line we do not know. What we do know is that it will be a cash store from now on. Every person with whom we have talked agrees with us that cash on delivery is the correct principle. We have made it success in other towns. Why not in Hunter?
It will be a good thing for you. It will benefit to us. You will get better quality goods here than you can get elsewhere for the same money. War prices are high enough at best. We will do what we can to moderate them. The prompt pay man should not pay bad debt insurance to cover losses on the slow-pay or no-pay customer. Are you with us?

April 19, 1917


Last Wednesday occurred the marriage of Miss Alice Larsen to Anton Johnson at the court house in Fargo. The young people went there in the morning and returned that same evening. Miss Larsen is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Niels Larsen, who live northeast of town, she is well and favorably known, being born and living here all her life. Mr. Johnson is a member of the firm of Johnson and Larsen, the local meat dealers, he is well and favorably known and has a host of friends. The Herald and its many readers extend to the happy couple the best wishes for a happy married life.
That night a large number of their friends went out to the home of the bride's parents and surprised them and to extend congratulations.

April 26, 1917

In Memorium

Word was received here on Sunday morning April 15, that Mrs. R. T. Porte of Fargo had died on Saturday, April 14th, at 5:30 . p. m. at the St. John's hospital at Fargo, following an operation. The services in Fargo were held on Wednesday from the Gethsemane Cathedral. The remains were brought here on Thursday and laid to rest in our “Silent City” beside those of her father and three brothers. The following relatives attended the funeral: Husband R. T. Porte, mother Mrs. John Pettit, brothers Leonard and Percy and son Harry and daughter Helen. The following were the pallbearers: Peter McLachlin, C. A. Tubbs, Z. F. Hamilton, R. E. Thompson, C. Adams and J. C. Richardson. Mrs. Porte was born in Pennsylvania on June 8th, 1878, and when five years old, her parents moved to North Dakota, near Grandin. Her parents then moved to Hunter, where she lived with them for many years. On July 28th, 1897 she was married to R. T. Porte, then publisher of this paper, Mrs. Porte being an employee. She then moved to Fargo in 1899 living there until her death. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Pettit, Mr. Pettit being in the employ of the county at Fargo for many years. She leaves to mourn her a son, daughter, husband, mother, four brothers and one sister. Mr. Porte is now located at Sault Lake City, Utah, as organization man for the United Typotheate, the national organization of Master Printers. Her son and daughter will for the time being live with their grandmother in Fargo, where the son is employed with the F. C. Gardner Co. She was a member of the Rebekahs, Eastern Star and a communicant of the Episcopal church.

May 3, 1917

Dies Suddenly Friends and relatives of J. Lloyd Rankin were shocked last week Tuesday afternoon on learning that he had suddenly passed away at 12:30, at the home of his father in Indianola, Iowa. Mr. Rankin had been suffering for two years from heart leakage. His death was doubly sad from the fact that he had just closed out his farming interests near Arthur, N. D. with a view to taking a rest before assuming active work again. He and his wife were on their way to Parker, Mo., having stopped for a visit at the home of his father, W. W. Rankin, of Indianola. Short services were held at that place and the body was taken to Parker for burial. Rev. Colvin of Erie, N. D., took charge of services at Parker. Mr. Rankin was born on August 31, 1886, at York, Mo., and died April 17, 1917, at Indianola, Iowa. Besides his wife, he leaves behind his father and mother, two sisters and one brother, Mrs. Laura Koogler, Los Angeles, Cal., Mrs. Jones, Superior, Neb., and Jesse Rankin, Rankin, Iowa.

May 31, 1917

Barn Burns

At 2:30 p. m. Sunday the fire alarm bell called the volunteer fire company to its post of duty, and despite a rapid run and every effort Carl Skue's barn burned to the ground. A high wind was blowing from the northwest, which prevented the spread of the flames to other buildings, but caused the barn to burn with such rapidity that two of the horses were burned to death. The third horse, a blind one, escaped by breaking its rope and in some way finding its way out alone. The horse upon which Carl places his main reliance for his rural free delivery work was burned as was also his four year old colt. There was some insurance on the barn, but none on the livestock. For a few minutes it looked as though the Sayer garage just back of the barn was doomed, but efficient fire fighting by the volunteers saved the building. The loss is heavy to Carl, as considerable hay and feed burned, as well as the barn and the horses. Fire is a good servant, but a terribly martyr, particularly on a windy day.

June 7, 1917 The Hunter Livery Barn is For Sale cheap if taken at once. See Emil Johnson, at I. Moen's machine shop, Hunter. Celebrated Anniversary The Scandanavian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Hunter celebrated its 25th anniversary last Sunday, the festival being well attended and successful in every way. Rev. P. A. Hendrickson, of Glasgow, Mont., who is president of this district of the Synod, preached the sermon at the morning services. Rev. A. Turmo officiated at the altar and Rev. O. Turmo read a brief historical sketch. An offering was given to the home mission. After dinner services were held in the English language, with praching by Rev. S. K. Thollehaug of Hillsboro. The festivities were continued on Monday by an informal discussion of Rev. 8, 11, “Behold, I come quickly, hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.” The discussion was led by Rev. Hendrickson and participated in by the Revs. A. and O. Turmo of Clifford and Rev. Hanson of Page. The Ladies Aid society furnished dinner for the audience both days, and, as always, they provided both bounteously and efficiently. The Scand. Ev. Luth. Congregation of Hunter was organized June 10, 1892 by Rev. J. Tingelstad, now professor at the state University, then pastor in Portland. It has been served since by Rev. G. G. Beito from 1893 to 1896, by Rev. P. A. Hendrickson from 1896 to 1910, assisted the last two years by Rev. W. A. Larson, and since 1910 by Rev. O. Turmo. Since 1893 the congregation has been served jointly with Galesburg and Clifford. Rev. Beito lived in Galesburg, but in 1896 a parsonage was built in Clifford and the pastors of the charge have had their residence there.
June 14, 1917

Dedication of the M. E. Church

On Sunday June 10th the new Methodist Episcopal Church was dedicated. The services were in charge of Dr. G. Dean, D. D. of Philadelphia, Pa., he being one of the church extension board of the Methodist church of America. He is an able speaker and of pleasing manner and deep spirituality. He preached morning and evening and was assisted by Rev. James Anderson, District Superintendent of Fargo District and Dr. E. P. Robertson and Dr. F. F. Wyand of Wesley College of Grand Forks, Rev. O. L. Anthony and several visiting pastors. The new church is a frame building veneered with fancy brown Hebron bricks, with concrete foundation and basement walls, standing nine feet, in the clear and six feet above grade, with ten large windows making it light and airy. It has a kitchen fully equipped and large auditorium for Sunday School, all Social Functions and any community gatherings. The upstairs Auditorium is furnished oak throughout with art glass windows, hardwood floor, the aisles and stairs having rubber matting and the lighting system is of the Brasco system. The whole structure is complete in every detail and won the admiration of every one. It is something the town can be proud of and is a credit to the community. The entire cost is approximately $8,500.00 which was all met by gifts and subscriptions with the exception of $350.00 which was then given by the board of trustees. The dedication services were very impressive and large crowds gathered from surrounding towns for miles and the immediate community and loyally came to the assistance of the board of trustees who having a vision built the church under the supervision of the pastor Rev. O. O. Anthony, $4200 being raised on that day.

June 21, 1917

Silver Anniversary Mr. and Mrs. Peter Hanson, who live southwest of Hunter about six miles, celebrated their silver wedding anniversary last Sunday. They were married in Hunter 25 years ago and have lived on their farm, the one they are living on now, for all their married life. There were born to them two children, a son and daughter, and they are the grandparents to five, both of their children being married. About 100 of their friends went out to the Hanson farm last Sunday to help them celebrate. Mr. and Mrs. Hanson were given many beautiful presents, as reminders of the occasion. Mr. and Mrs. Hanson are well and favorably known and have a host of friends who wish them success and happiness and may they enjoy many years of wedded life.

Hotel Changes Hands

The Anne Inn, which was managed the past year by Frank Collins, has again changed hands to its former manager and owner, Mrs. Critchfield. Mrs. Critchfield owning the building, will therefore not have such big expenses. The Collins family has moved into the Will Simmons house, where they have started housekeeping. All the steady boarders have gone along with the Collins family.


On Wednesday afternoon, June 20, Miss Irene Mitchell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Mitchell of this place was united in marriage to Chas. Johnson, formerly of this place, but now employed by the Standard Oil Co., of Fargo, by the Rev. O. L. Anthony of the M. E. church. Both of the young people are well and favorably known in and around Hunter, as both have lived here almost all their life, they have a host of relatives and friends who wish them a long and happy married life. The bride is a graduate of our high school and has been teaching at different points for several years and will be greatly missed by her many friends here. The happy couple will be at home to their friends after July 1st, at 64 Jackson Apartments, Fargo.

Silver Wedding

Mr. and Mrs. J. G. Knudtson were given a pleasant surprise Tuesday June 19, it being their 25th anniversary. Mrs. Knudtson's mother, Mrs. Arthur Bjerke; Mr. M. Habberstad of Kindred, and Oscar Bjerke of Finley, N. D. came on the morning train. Mr. and Mrs. Albert Swenson and family; Mr. and Mrs. Ed. Bjerke and family, Mr. and Mrs. Hjalmer Bjerke and family of Kindred, N. D. and Mr. and Mrs. H. Tryhus and family of Mayville, N. D. and Mr. and Mrs. I. Seim of Blanchard, N. D. arrived making their trips in automobiles and at noon the Lutheran Ladies Aid came. They all brought “their dinner” along and every one ate to their heart's content. A beautiful set of knives and forks in community silver from Mr. Knudtson's mother, sister, brothers and friends is what they received, also twenty six dollars in silver from the Lutheran Ladies Aid and friends, a set of spoons from Mr. and Mrs. Anderson of Blanchard; and a casserole from their children Herbert, Ruby, Gladys, and Joyce, were presented them as a gift of remembrance. After another lunch they departed.

July 5, 1917

30 Years Ago Today

Crops are booming.
Wheat 55 cents.
Lots of rain this week.
J. H. Gale left last night for Chicago to meet Mrs. G. who is returning from her visit in New York.
The Band was out in full uniform last Saturday evening, and played several pieces upon the return of the baseball boys from Arthur.
Work has commenced last Wednesday preparatory to putting the new bridge across the Elm on the section line on the west side of the railroad.
The baseball ground has been fixed up so it will compare favorably with any ground in North Dakota. The boys were late starting, but they evidently mean business.
The band uniforms arrived last Saturday, and are simply immense. The boys are getting right to the front, and do not propose to do things by halves. The organization now numbers ten pieces and two more will be added as soon as instruments can be procured.
At Mitchell, four prisoners escaped from jail by sawing the bars of their cell and of an outside window.
The regents of Grant Forks received a bid from a responsible party to put the university of N. D. in as good shape as it was before the storm for $4,600.
Minot had a “glorious fourth” with 300 Indians to participate.

Laid to Rest

Harvey Austin Scovill was born in Hamilton county, Ind., on Jan. 1861, fifty-six years ago. In Dec. 1892 he was married to Carrie Montgomery, who bore him six children, four boys and two girls, four of which survive him.
Twenty-five years ago he joined the Methodist church and has lived an upright Christian life.
He came to North Dakota eight years ago from Indiana and has been engaged in farming until the time of his death.
He died at his home near Grandin last week and was buried at the Grandin cemetery, Rev. O. L. Anthony of Hunter officiating.

July 12, 1917

El Paso Picnic

This year the El Paso picnic was held at Lee G. Kamp's grove last Thursday, June 28th. Only people who claimed El Paso, Ill., as their former home were eligible to attend. A large crowd was present and all enjoyed themselves. The following were present, the Newton family, Wm. Sutton and family, Chas. and R. E. Parkhouse and their families, Thomas Enright and family, Bruce Brewer and wife, Wayne Kyser and wife, the Brown children, Frank Goss and family, B. M. Stack and family, Chas. Dohman and family, Lee G. Kamp and family, Ora Bell and family and Henry Gretter and family. Will Enright and Francis Roberts were also present.
The picnic lasted all day. A big dinner was served at noon, after which occurred the ball game which resulted in a score of 22 to 16. Lunch was served followed by delicious ice cream purchased in Arthur. The picnic was a great success, both as regards numbers present and good time enjoyed.
Another Hunter Boy Called

Emil Moen, who has enlisted the latter part of May in the Navy Hospital Corps, received a call by wire Friday, stating that he should report at the training station at the Great Lakes. He went to Fargo Sunday and took the train. Mr. Moen is the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. I. Moen of this place, he was born here in the village of Hunter and has lived here all his life. His many friends wish him good luck.

July 19, 1917
Honor Roll
The following from Hunter are now in the various branches of the U. S. service: Who is next to answer the call to arms?
NATIONAL GUARDS-Harry Olson, Clark Spare, Earl Hockridge NAVY-Geo. Hogenson (band), Almon Sayer (band), Floyd Hockridge (band), McLain Critchfield (electrician), Emil Moen (hospital corps), Clarence Fisk (seaman), Eugene Adams (signal corps). REGULAR ARMY-Alfred Jensen Called to Arms

The N. D. N. G. was called to report for duty on Sunday, July 15th. The local boys who are members went to Fargo Sunday morning to report for duty, T. C. Hockridge taking them there by auto. They returned the same day and left on Monday evening for Fargo. It is expected that they will be in Fargo at least for two weeks. The boys who are members of Co. B. are: Harry Olson, Clark Spare and Earl Hockridge of Hunter. Eugene Adams, son of Mr. and Mrs. C. R. Adams of Hunter, has enlisted in the Signal Reserve Corps and is now located at Tacoma, Wash. Almon Sayer and Floyd Hockridge left last Saturday evening for Minneapolis, where they will report, they having enlisted in the U. S. Navy, both in the band. The two boys were given a great sendoff, the band was out and played a few patriotic selections, and there was a large crowd at the depot to bid the boys farewell and wish them the best of good luck. One by one our young men are enlisting in the various branches of the service, to do their “bit” to bring this war to a successful close. They went from Minneapolis to Norfolk, Va., where they will do their training.

July 19, 1917

Special Train Service

Larimore to Fargo and Return, July 28, 1917
Leaves 6:20 a. m. Larimore 6:35 a. m. Kempton
6:50 a. m. Northwood
7:12 a. m. Hatton
7:27 a. m. Portland Jct.
7:30 a. m. Ames
7:43 a. m. Mayville
7:55 a. m. Murray
8:02 a. m. Volga
8:09 a. m. Blanchard
8:14 a. m. Preston
8:19 a. m. Greenfield
8:30 a. m. Hunter
8:43 a. m. Arthur
Arrives 9:00 a. m. Vance

This special train will combine at Vance with special train from Devils Lake, leaving Vance 9:07 a. m. arriving at Fargo 10:00 a. m.
Special train, July 26th, will leave Fargo at 8:00 p. m. for Devils Lake which will carry coaches for passengers on the Mayville line. These coaches will be cut off at Vance and run by special train to Larimore stopping at all intermediate points.

30 Years Ago Today Wheat 55 cents.
More rain last night.
Big time in town this week-breaking broncos.
The Arthur boys defeated the Grandin ball boys last Saturday by a score of 17 to 9. The Grandin folks treated them handsomely and gave them a dance in the evening.
J. H. Gale took a run down to Fargo Monday night.
Mr. Wm. Mitchell, Supt. of Schools for Cass County called on the EYE last Tuesday.
Mrs. C. M. Richardson and son of Battle Creek, Mich., are spending the summer with Mrs. R's sister, Mrs. G. H. Knight.
Geo Lobach and John Vosburg, two of the Arthur aggregation of baseball manipulators, were in town last Tuesday evening.
Mr. Beck, brother of Mrs. C. M. Brewer, came up from Minnesota last Wednesday to see wheat harvested on a large scale.
A. T. Brewer has taken in a partner, Mr. J. H. Wilkinson, who by the way is an experienced boilermaker, and they are now prepared to do all kinds of engine and boiler repairing in a prompt and efficient manner.

July 26, 1917

Laid to Rest
This community was shocked last Wednesday noon by the sad news that Henry Huber was no more, that he had died the night before.
He was not feeling any too well the day before and went to bed at about nine o'clock Tuesday evening. Mr. Ostrander, who was in the habit of calling on him in the morning, did call for him but not receiving an answer thought best to let him sleep as he was not feeling well the day before, but when noon came and Mr. Huber was not about, he became alarmed and calling R. E. Thompson, together they went into the house, having to open a window, as the door was locked, there they found him in bed, dead, just as though he had gone to sleep. Dr. Mitchell was summoned from Mapleton and he said that Mr. Huber had just died of natural death.
The remains were taken in charge by the local order of I. O. O. F. of which he was a faithful member. The funeral was held last Thursday from the M. E. church, with Rev. O. L. Anthony officiating, the text being taken from Heb. 9: 27-28, and the pall bearers were: M. Ostrander, J. C. Richardson, F. C. Sayer, Gust Hogenson, R. A. Miller and Peter Larsen. The remains were laid to rest in the beautiful cemetery at Hunter, the grave being lined by some of the Rebekah ladies, of which order he also was a member. There were lots of beautiful flowers, given by loving friends.
Mr. Huber was well known in this community, having lived here for a long time, and will be greatly missed by all those who knew him.
As far as known he has only an uncle and a brother living, neither of which could be located up to this writing. “They labor well, that in death you go. Not only with blossoms sweet. Not bent with doubt, and burdened with fears. And dead, dry husks of wasted years. But laden with golden wheat.

August 2, 1917

Joined Co. B.

Chas. Lowman left last week on Saturday, for Fargo, where he enlisted and has joined Co. B., 1st N. D. N. G.
Mr. Lowman is favorably known here having lived in these parts for the past ten years and besides he has had quite a lot of experience, having served in the Spanish-American war. His many friends wish him all kinds of luck.
Rudolph Holten, who has been here for the past two years, left on Monday for Fargo, where he has enlisted in Co. B., 1st N. D. N. G. He is a young man who is well liked by all who know him, having worked at the C. S. Collins farm for the past year. Good luck to you.
Albert Wallner, who has been employed in the Herald office for the past two months, has joined Co. B. of Fargo. He leaves this week on Thursday evening to take his examination. Albert is a young man of good habits and is well liked by all who knew him. Good luck to you Albert.

Camp Meeting Closes
The Absaraka camp meeting came to a close on July 22nd, Sunday. It was a great day, about 1500 people being present through the day, over 100 autoes being on the ground.
This meeting was held in a grove north of Absaraka, the property of Nels Nelson, who kindly loaned it to the Association. People came from all the surrounding country.
Rev. Grey Wilson from Main and Miss Marie Danielson were the workers and were assisted by the neighboring pastors.
A large number of Hunter people attended these meetings.
A camp will be held next July, a fine tabernacle has been built.

September 6, 1917


A very pretty wedding took place on Wednesday, Aug. 29th at the home of Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Mitchell, Hunter, N. D., when Miss Inez, their eldest daughter was united in marriage to Dr. Herbert F. O'Connor by the Rev. O. L. Anthony of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The bride is one of Hunter's most highly respected young ladies having been raised and educated here. She has been a successful teacher for several years.
Dr. H. F. O'Connor, the bridegroom, is a practicing dentist at Granville, N. D., having a fine practice in that place.
It is the general consensus of opinion that they are admirably suited for each other and a bright successful, happy future lies before them.
Mrs. O'Connor was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at Hunter and when at home joined in heartily in the work of the church. When away at her profession lent a helping hand in the work of the church of her choice. She was for some time organist at Granville.
She will be greatly missed here.
Dr. H. F. O'Connor is also an active church worker in the Congregational in Granville. The best wishes of a great host of friends go with them to their new home and future life.
Only the relatives and immediate friends were present at the wedding, about 20 in all.
The presents were many, lovely, useful and ornamental. The home was beautifully decorated for the occasion and after the ceremony an elegant dinner was served in Mrs. Mitchell's excellent style. The bride and groom went to Granville, their future home, leaving on the evening train arriving home next day, where a great reception awaited them given by their friends in Granville.

September 13, 1917

A Pretty Military Wedding

At a very prettily appointed wedding Saturday evening, September 8th, Jennie S. Gale, daughter of Mr. and Mr. J. Hollis Gale, became the bride of Lieut. William L. Boyce, now stationed at Fort Dodge, Ia.
Feathery greens and graceful vines combined with bright flowers and autumn berries, arranged by loving hands, had transformed the hall, parlor, and dining room into fairy bowers, and in the parlor a sort of alter had been arranged by palms and ferns, in front of the big west window, which had been made into a green flower besprinkled background, before which Rev. C. H. Van Auken, pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Hunter, took his place just on the stroke of nine, when Miss Edna Zavitz, an old schoolmate and lifelong friend of the bride's, sang with great sweetness and power “Oh Promise Me,” with Miss Doris Tubbs playing the accompaniment.
Miss Tubbs then played the wedding march from Lohengrin, and continued playing softly during the service. The bride and groom entered, preceded by little Jane Gale, niece of the bride, the tiniest of little flower girls, doing her part bravely, and they were a goodly sight to see, the bride's delicate beauty enhanced by the beauty of the filmy white dress and veil, the groom stalwart and strong looking “every inch a soldier,” in his uniform, and both with the “light that never was on land or sea” on their young faces. The ring service of the Presbyterian church was used and when the magic words that made them man and wife had been spoken, Miss Cornelia Carr sang with beautiful effect “At Dawning.” Congratulations from relatives and friends were then in order until the delicious buffet lunch was served. As the bride went up the stairs to make ready for her departure she threw her bouquet among the laughing and excited girls at the foot, which was caught by her sister Ruth. Then the band with supreme disregard of difficulties, absence of members and hard days' work each had done, played a fine serenade on the lawn and were promptly ushered in, just in time to greet the bride as she came down stairs in the traveling suit, and to have a generous share in the lunch. She was glad to shake hands with these boys, most of whom had been schoolmates of hers from their earliest years, and very proud to introduce to them her soldier husband. At the going away all were very brave and no tears were shed, the fine example of the bride's father and mother proving a restraining influence on even the school girl friends, with whom she was always a prime favorite, as indeed she has been and is, with all with whom she has been associated. Her quick wit and ready smile winning friends on the shortest acquaintance. Her kindly spirit and generous disposition holding them fast forever. The beginning of this beautiful romance in real life dates back to their college days, for both are graduates of our state university, where he won many laurels as an all around athlete and she was prominent in musical circles, having been a member of the famous Girls Glee Club. Both Hunter and Kenmare have a right to be proud of these young people and the whole state is to be congratulated on being represented by them at this trying time in our nation's history. Altogether this hurried wedding was an occasion to be remembered by all who were privileged to take part in it; and the whole town took a sort of proprietary interest. The lovely toilets of the girls who took part added greatly to the scene and all wore the loveliest corsage bouquets. Guests from out of town were Miss Juliet Simmons, Minneapolis, Minn., Miss Florence Fried, Wimbledon, N. Dak., and Mr. Clifford Warner of Fargo. The bridal party was obliged to make an auto trip to Casselton to catch the 12:30 a. m. coast train, he being due to arrive in Des Moines Monday. September 20, 1917

Vodder-Janes Nuptials At the home of the bride's parents three miles north of Argusville, on Tuesday evening the eleventh, at seven o'clock occurred the marriage of Elizabeth, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Vodden, to Elmer R. Janes, of Havre, Montana. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. O. E. McCracken of Fargo in the presence of the immediate relatives of the bride and groom. Frank Vodden, brother of the bride, was best man, and Miss Nellie Janes acted as bridesmaid. The bride was becomingly dressed in a dark blue traveling gown and the groom wore the conventional black. Shortly after the ceremony a crowd of about twenty-five young people gathered to give the young couple a rousing sendoff, and were royally entertained by the wedding party. The young couple left Thursday morning for their future home at Havre, where Mr. Janes has a responsible position with a railroad company. Mr. and Mrs. Janes have both grown up in the vicinity of Argusville and are well liked by all who know them, and the best wishes for their happiness and prosperity are extended by the entire community.

October 4, 1917

Laid to Rest

Edith May Baldock was born in North Dakota on September 1st, 1898, and died on September 25th, 1917, at the age of 18 years and 26 days. She was the oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Baldock, who live between Hunter and Galesburg. She became ill some time last March and has been ill until death came and relieved her. The remains were brought to Hunter last week Thursday and laid to rest in our beautiful cemetery. She leaves to mourn her a father and mother, five brothers, and one sister, besides other relatives. The entire community extends to the bereaved family their sympathy.
Miss May was a member of the M. E. church in Fargo, having joined this spring. She was well liked by all who knew her and her many friends mourn her departure.
Rev. O. L. Anthony preached the services here in Hunter.

Bayard, Zemple Wedding On Wednesday afternoon at three o'clock occurred the marriage of Miss Fern Bayard of Hunter, N. D. to Paul F. Zemple of New England, N. D. The ceremony was performed at the Presbyterian manse at Fargo, Rev. T. J. Graham officiating. The impressive ring service was used. The bride was dressed in crepe de metor, trimmed with Georgette crepe. The bridegroom wore a suit of dark blue. Only immediate relatives of the bride and groom were present. The newly wedded couple expects to make a short visit with relatives here, and then go to their home in New England, N. D. He is a substantial businessman of that city, and she is well known to the people of this vicinity, having lived here most of her life, and she has taught school for several years. The Arthur News joins with their many friends in wishing this young couple all the happiness and prosperity possible.

November 8, 1917

Albert Larsen left Hunter quietly last Friday evening, going to Fargo, from there he went to Hillsboro, where he was married on Saturday afternoon, November 3rd, to Miss Sarah C. Thompson of Buxton, this state.
Mr. Larsen came here this spring from Mayville and took charge of the Dan Brayton farm (the Russell farm). He is a prosperous young man with many friends both here and in Mayville and is well thought of by all who knew him.
Miss Thompson is one of Buxton's popular young ladies, and has a host of friends who will miss her greatly in their social gatherings.
A host of their friends join with the Herald in welcoming the young couple into our midst and wishing them all kinds of happiness and prosperity in their journey through life.

November 22, 1917

Puts in Electric Plant
C. H. Kirby, Western Electric Farm Lighting salesman, was in this vicinity the last few days giving demonstrations of the Western Electric plant. Mr. Kirby reports the sale of a plant to the Holes Estate, one of our progressive farms. The Western Electric is handled by the Fargo Plumbing and Heating Co., plumbing heating and electrical engineers, Fargo, No. Dakota. Mr. Kirby will demonstrate this plant at your convenience.
Gardner Woman Says Swindlers Operate as Famous Surgeons, Represent Themselves as Associated with a Fargo Occulist
Details of the alleged swindling of $300 from Mrs. J. Flatt, a widow of Gardner, by a stranger who pretended to perform an operation on her eye, which he said was necessary to save her from total blindness, was made public yesterday by D. D. Sullivan, a Fargo optometrist, who had previously fitted Mrs. Flatt with a pair of glasses, and whose name was used to secure a hearing from her.
The plan follows that used by a man or men who have been operating in several parts of the country recently and of one who was arrested last week at Carmi, Ill. An effort is being made to learn whether the man arrested had been in Fargo.
The story is that the man, with an accomplice in an automobile, appeared at the Flatt home three weeks ago and said that the occulist had reported her case a very serious one.
“Your occulist let me see what's his name?” the stranger said. Mrs. Flatt told him.
“Surely, Mr. Sullivan: he reported your case to our Minneapolis hospital,” he continued, “and I've come out to examine your eyes.”
Upon examining them, he said that an operation would be necessary to save her from going blind, and that his companion, a surgeon in the hospital, would perform it. The companion scraped Mrs. Flatt's eyeball with an instrument, and showed her a white substance on the instrument which he said he had removed from the eyeball. Then he insisted upon her giving him a check for $300 which he said was half the usual price. The check was made to bearer and endorsed by Mrs. Flatt.
An identical case is reported from Nyack, N. Y., last July by the Optical Journal and Review, the victim in this case being swindled out of $150. The man arrested in Illinois was caught when he attempted to raise a check for $75, which he got in the same manner t0 $175.
The case of Mrs. Flatt came to light a couple of days ago, when a neighbor of hers came to the Sullivan store and asked why he reported his serious cases to a Minneapolis hospital. When he denied that he did this, she told him of the swindle. It is believed that the two men stopped at a Fargo hotel and hired an automobile to drive into the country. Mrs. Sullivan has sent to Mrs. Flatt for the check she gave the men, in an effort to learn if one of them is the man arrested recently in Illinois.-Fargo Courier News

December 13, 1917 Passed Away
The sad news was received here in Hunter last Saturday afternoon that Mrs. Ole Myrah, who has been ailing for some time, passed away at her home south of here. The funeral services were held last Tuesday afternoon and the remains were laid to rest in the Spring Grove, Minn. cemetery. Rev. Turmo of the Lutheran church officiating. We will print an obituary next week.
Mrs. Kerstin Pearson, Cass Pioneer, Dies
Mrs. Kerstin Pearson, 80, for 25 years a resident of Cass county, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Andrew Anderson, in Gardner township, northwest of Fargo, from paralysis Saturday night. She was stricken ten days ago. A son, Hans John Pearson and Mrs. Anderson survive. Mr. Pearson died 33 years ago.
Funeral services were held from the Anderson home at 12:30 o'clock Tuesday afternoon, and from Herby Lutheran church at 2 o'clock, Rev. Chr. Rosenthal officiating. Interment will be in Herby cemetery. E. F. Moore, Fargo, in charge-Fargo Forum.
December 20, 1917 Obituary

The Death Angel has again been busy in our midst and another wise, loving mother has gone out from a happy home never to return.
And a wide circle of friends have lost a helpful and beloved friend. And our community unites with her family in mourning for one who was ever a kind and sympathetic neighbor, who was always a willing helper and a wise counselor, ever alert to still a cry of distress, never sparing herself when any good work was to be done. For all the years she has dwelt in our midst there has never been heard a word of adverse criticism of her conduct and our Ladies Aid and W. C. T. U. will miss surely her efficient help, and the inspiration of constant attendance.
But what shall we say of the husband and children so sorely bereaved? The children she so dearly loved and has so wisely and tenderly reared and fitted for good and faithful citizenship. The husband of her youth who stood so faithfully by her through these last terrible months of suspense and suffering.
She was very faithful to her church duties and strove always to lead her family in the “paths of righteousness and peace.” She bore the suffering incident to the nature of her disease with patience and true Christian fortitude, and her memory will always be a benediction to her family and friends.
She was born at Spring Grove, Minn., Oct. 12, 1860, and was married to O. G. Myrah in 1880. Ten children have come to bless their home, two boys dying in infancy.
Those living are Mrs. Chas. McGee, Mrs. Frank Smith, Mrs. Ole Hjelle, Mrs. Bergh, Mrs. R. Dittmer, Nellie, Vincent, and Leonard Myrah. She also had six grandchildren.
The remains were taken to Spring Grove, Minn., and the funeral took place on Dec. 13th, 1917.

2011 Copyrighted and Contributed by Steven Pueppke
Newspaper Extractions Index
Back to the Cass County, NDGenWeb