Hunter News 1918 Hunter Herald

January 10, 1918

Happily Married

A notable event in the annals of Hunter was the wedding of Miss Ruth Charlotte Gale, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Gale, and Clifford Warner of Fargo, on Thursday, Jan. 5th, 1918 at three p.m. It was most fitting that the ceremony should have been held in the Presbyterian church the “little church on the corner,” for she grew up in that church so to speak. She was christened there and became a regular attendant at the services and a member of the Sunday school almost as soon as she could talk, and has been identified with its activities ever since.
The church was very handsomely decorated with evergreens and chrysanthemums. The guests were the families of the bride and groom and the congregation of the church.
Rev. Van Auken performed the ceremony using the beautiful and appropriate ring service of the Presbyterian church. The ushers were Ruth' Sunday school class, consisting of eight boys, who for years have been her most devoted and chivalrous knights. They styled themselves that “Glad to do it,” and really lived up to their name too. But when she was at college or away teaching they were a very disconsolate bunch of boys. But always on her return she took her place in the various church and Sunday school functions with fresh interest and renewed vigor.
She graduated at our state University, she had a year at Fargo College and then went to Wellesley for a year coming back to Grand Forks, "because being a western girl, I need a western education," she said. She has taught one year at Ryder but has been at home continually for the past year and has been so helpful in all community work that we do not know how we are ever to get on without her.
The bride's sister, Mrs. William Boise presided at the organ and played softly throughout the service. As the bridal party came in our Miss Olson sang enchantingly “O Promise Me,” and later another beautiful solo.
The bridegroom was attended by Lieut. William Boise and Marjorie Simmons, cousin of the bride was bridesmaid. In her white satin gown and filmy veil, one could hardly imagine a fairer bride, or a more distinguished looking bridal party.
The groom is also a North Dakota boy, educated in the Fargo schools, business man in his home town, successful and popular, the only thing against him being his taking away our village favorite.
Among the lovely and useful presents the young people received none was more highly appreciated than the fine rug from her “Glad to do it boys.” Immediately after the ceremony the wedding party and the family and immediate friends withdrew to the home of the bride where all including the ushers sat down to a delicious repast.
Among out of town guests were Mr. and Mrs. Warner, parents of the groom and Mr. and Mrs. Warner, brother, and wife, all of Fargo, and Marjorie Simmons of Minneapolis. Miss Alice Olson of Fargo and Mayville.
The Herald and its many readers extend to the happy couple the best wishes for a long, happy and prosperous wedded life.

January 24, 1918 Private Scott W. Bredell, of Bismarck Co. U. S. Inf., died of pneumonia at Hoboken, N. J., Saturday last. His home was at Hunter, N. D., and on Wednesday a military funeral was accorded him at Fargo. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. H. O. Bredell, and parents, four brothers and three sisters survive. The ceremony was impressive, the Fargo Home Guard participating. He was as brave as if he had gone into battle-and his memory will be honored. - Casselton Reporter.
February 28, 1918


Octavius Bonnell was born in New Jersey January 18th, 1845 and died at Blanchard after a week's illness of pneumonia.
He moved to Wisconsin with his parents when he was eight years old.
He enlisted in 1861 and served until the close of the war in 1865. He was married in 1866 to Ida Dewitt and there was born four children: three of whom are living, Roy died in 1898. He moved to Detroit, Minn., in 1879 and then to North Dakota in 1895. He has been postmaster at Blanchard for eleven years.
His principle and belief were those of a Christian. Although he made no profession of religion, he lived a clean moral life. He was a kind father, a loving husband and good citizen. He was respected by all. The school as well as the business houses closed during the services which were held at the home and conducted by Rev. C. H. Van Auken. There were a number of beautiful floral pieces, also a shock of wheat fully ripe.
His eldest child is Charles Bonnell of Detroit, Minn., Mrs. Winnie Buck of Detroit, Minn., and Mrs. Otto Isaacson of Mahnomen, Minn., were present and accompanied the widow to Detroit, Minn, where the Grand Army Post, to which Mr. Bunnell had been a member for many years, met the body, and after services conducted by Rev. Chapman in the Baptist Church, his body will be laid to rest in Oak Grove Cemetery, the Son of Veterans being the pallbearers, and a firing squad of the Veterans conducting the last services for their old comrade. He was the last of a family of ten children, seven of whom served in the army.
R. W. Falconer, Carl Hilstad, Iver Seim, Leo Boettcher, Samuel Irwin, and Aaron Sherritt were the pallbearers at Blanchard. A. P. Johnson was the efficient director.

May 2, 1918

Two Accidents

Ralph Young had quite a painful accident one day last week. While he was taking a drag apart one of the sections, with the sharp teeth up was laying on the ground and while he was trying to take another section off, he fell, losing his balance on account of the wind blowing, and landed upon the teeth of the drag, having one of the teeth enter his hip and also one in the foot, besides other minor hurts. He is now slowly recovering.
Last Saturday afternoon at about four in the afternoon, while Harry Hogenson, who is employed in the Herald office, was feeding the job press he in some manner got his hand caught in the lock-up of the machine while it was running. His left hand was badly smashed, several bones broken, and some of the muscles badly torn from the hand. Medical aid was given at once by Dr. Baillie and on Sunday the hand was operated upon and fixed up. The wounds are very painful, although the Dr. says he will not lose any fingers or the use of his hand. He will be laid up for some time at least, and, in the mean time the Editor will be without his services. At this writing he is getting along fine.

May 16, 1918

The Hunter Honor Roll

Following is a list of the boys who have answered the call of their country.
One, Walter Bloom, is now dead, having given his life for his country. Read the list and if we have omitted anyone, let us know.
Leo Smith
Emil Moen
Will Fiske
David Bell
Clark Spare
Almon Sayer
W. L. Boyce
Carl Madsen
Peter Holtse
Eddie Adams
Harry Lacock
Walter Bloom
Axel Peterson
Sigward Kyllo
Victor Larsen
Alfred Jensen
Michael Smith
Chas. Lowman
Geo. Hogenson
Eugene Adams
A. W. Sherritt
Clarence Fiske
James Dickson
Albert Wallner
Earl Hockridge
P. T. Thompson
Rudolph Holton
McKinley Tubbs
Arthur Peterson
Milo F. Van Zile
Floyd Hockridge
H. M. Knudtson
Leslie McLachlin
Carelton Sherritt
Fred Rasmussen
Louie Gotfredsen
Charlie McCauley
McLain Critchfield
Jas. Alfred Kempe
Jake Winnistopher
Hunter Organized Mr. J. H. Gale received word the first of the week from the chairman of the county W. S. S. Headquarters, which informed him that he had been appointed to organize the merchants and businessmen of Hunter, and that our allotment of War Savings Stamps was $900. Now it is up to the businessmen to sell the stamps. There is no better investment to be had than these stamps. They are good for their face value at any time one wishes to cash them. Call at any one of the business places in Hunter and get your stamps. Buy now, and help the boys who have gone to the front, every stamp you buy helps just that much. If we all get busy at once the allotment will not last long.
Celebrated Tin Wedding On May 6th of last week Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Ahlschwede, who reside about eight miles northeast of Hunter celebrated their tin wedding, they having been married on that day just ten years ago.
There were over two hundred of their relatives, friends and neighbors present to help them commemorate the occasion. Among the many presents of tin ware, aluminum, etc., Mr. and Mrs. Ahlschwede were presented with a fine chiffioner, and also a nice purse of money, the presents were many and very useful.
A very delicious supper was served at about six in the evening. Cards and various other games and visiting were enjoyed until a late hour, when a fine lunch was again served, after which the party broke up, wishing the hostesses many happy days of married life. All those present report a very pleasant time and all voted Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Ahlschwede royal entertainers.

May 23, 1918

Galesburg on the Map at Night

All light up like a church every night you can sight this progressive city for many miles.
Everyone in Galesburg has electric lights now, this central station is equipped with Western Electric Apparatus installed by Fargo Plumbing and Heating Co. of Fargo.
C. H. Kirby who sold this plant to Galesburg says they are a live progressive bunch of business men, the deal was a quick one as everyone was posted on Western Electric Quality.


The Absaraka M. E. Camp Meeting Association will hold its fourth annual Camp Meeting at Nelson's Grove, one and one half miles north of Absaraka, N. D., beginning June 16th to July 1st. Rev. J. L. Brasher, D. D. President of I. H. University, Oskaloosa, Iowa, will be the preacher in charge. Chorus Choir, Special Music, Good crowds, Come and make this camp great with your presence and prayer.
Tents for rent. For further information write Mrs. O. L. Anthony, Hunter, N. D., Sec.

May 30, 1918

C. W. Preston Taken by Death

C. W. Preston, of Minneapolis, formerly engaged in farming with extensive land holdings near Blanchard, Traill county, where he located in 1882, died Monday at Douglas, Ariz., according to a telegram received Tuesday by H. R. Turner, of Fargo, from Mrs. Preston.
Mr. Preston was in Douglas on business when he was taken ill. He was a member of the Fargo Scottish Rite bodies, of El Zagel temple. - Fargo Forum.

June 6, 1918 Tragedy at Mason

Thursday afternoon two Italian section men were rowing a boat on the reservoir at Mason. In some way they were thrown into the water. Both sank immediately and were drowned. Dr. Baillie of Hunter was telephoned for, and arrived before the bodies had been recovered from the water. Both men were dead. Particulars as to names of these men were not available at the time of going to press.

June 13, 1918

12 Boys Register

The following from Hunter went to Fargo last week on Wednesday where they went to register: Morrell Tudor, Arden Ray McAuley, Carl Richard Rasmussen, Fred Hanson, Almer Conrad Thompson, Harry Willard Olson, Jos. Francis Redmond, Clarence Aiken, Henry Cederburg, Leo. Ness Jorgenson, Stanton Calvin Muir, and Murrell Milfred Miller. These boys have all become of age since the registering last year in June. Harry Olson was formerly a member of Co. B of Fargo but when that company left he was discharged as being unfit for foreign service.


The Absaraka M. E. Camp Meeting Association will hold its fourth annual Camp Meeting at Nelson's Gove, one and one half miles north of Absaraka, N. D. beginning June 16th to July 1st, Rev. J. L. Brasher, D. D. President of I. H. University, Oskaloosa, Iowa, will be the preacher in charge.
Chorus Choir, Special Music, Good crowds, Come and make this camp great with your presence and prayer.
Tents for rent. For further information write Mrs. O. L. Anthony, Hunter, N. D., Sec.

June 20, 1918

Registration of German Alien Females

The time for the registration of German alien females in North Dakota has been fixed to commence at six a. m. on Monday, June 17, 1918 and to continue on each day successively thereafter, except Sunday, June 23, 1918, between the hours of six a. m. and eight p. m. up to and including Wednesday, the 26th day of June 1918, at eight o'clock p. m.
Persons required to register are described as follows:
All natives, citizens, denizens, or subjects of the German Empire being female of the age of 14 years and upward, now with the United States and not actually naturalized as American citizens.
All German alien females who live within the radius of or receive mail from Hunter are requested to register at the post office.
W. P. Osborne, P. M. Assistant Postmaster

June 27, 1918

Laid to Rest

Word reached here last week Thursday morning announcing the Mrs. F. J. Schiesel had passed away Wednesday night at a little after 11 o'clock, June 19th, at her home at 849 East 6th St., St. Paul, Minn.
Mrs. Schiesel is the daughter of Mr. Gust Hogenson of Hunter, N. D. She was born here on September 2, 1892. Being a little over 25 years of age at the time of her death. She lived here all her life except the past two years when she went to St. Paul, where she was married to Mr. F. J. Schiesel on June 27th, 1916, and where she has since lived.
She leaves to mourn her loss a husband, F. J. Schiesel of St. Paul; a father, Mr. Gust Hogenson, a sister, Mrs. F. O. Eberhardt, two brothers, George, who is the service of the U. S., and Harry, all of Hunter, N. D., besides a host of relatives and friends.
The funeral services were held last Saturday from the Sacred Heart church and the remains laid to rest in Calvary cemetery, St. Paul, Minn.
The floral offerings were many and beautiful. These flowers, so typical of the life of her we mourn, mutely speak the pathos of a parting word, and were placed upon the casket by friends who loved the sweet sleeper. On these petals were tears for the parting, and hopes for the meeting beyond the gates.
None but those who have sat in the shadow of the great bereavement can justly weight such a sorrow as this. Those who have gone down into the valley of suffering and stood for months by the side of a loved one, as hope after hope dropped away as the petals fall from the fading flower, know that such anguish cannot find solace in the tenderest words. She who has gone forth could not be supported on her solitary path by any earthly friend. The husband with a devotion few men are capable of, whose strength was given sweetly, tenderly to the precious invalid, whose heroic devotion never faltered, could not detain her by the clasp of earthly love; but after the last word had been spoken, the sign of recognition was gone, a look of peace settled on her face which proclaimed victory, and he knew she was resting on a mighty arm.


Private Walter Alberts, Co. B, 36 Red.
The reality of the terrible sacrifices this horrible world war is requiring of us was brought home with great force when we heard of the death of Walter Alberts, 4th son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Alberts of Galesburg, at Fort Snelling, Minnesota. He enlisted in Co. B at Fargo the 3rd day of June 1917 and when his regiment went south he was retained in the training Camp at Fort Snelling where he was employed in helping the new recruits to adopt themselves to army life. He is one of those rare personalities that win confidence and favor from all with whom they came in contact. As one friend said in speaking of him, “the longer you knew Walter the better you liked him.” His father and mother, brothers and sisters, schoolmates and fellow soldiers all express the same feeling; he was a great favorite everywhere.
The age old question, why are those so often taken first we cannot answer. It remains one of the mysteries we may solve when the “veil is lifted.” His parents were called to his bedside two weeks before his death, but perhaps because of his delight at seeing them he seemed to improve so rapidly they hoped he would be able to come home in a short time. But soon a message came that he was seriously ill again when his brothers George and Philip went to him but found he was up around so bright and hopeful that they came home intending to go back and bring him home the last of the week. Then came three telegrams all together, the first announcing a relapse, the last his death.
His brother George went down and attended the funeral at which 17 regiments were represented, so having made the supreme sacrifice for his country he sleeps peacefully in the beautiful soldiers' cemetery on the banks of the “Father of Waters.” He was born in Galesburg, North Dakota, Dec. 12th, 1898 and died at Fort Snelling June 12th, 1918.
He leaves to mourn his untimely death his father and mother, six brothers and two sisters, George, who is in class 1 and waiting his call and Philip who has just registered and Harry, Elmer, Arthur, and Fred, Mrs. Hagan and Lucetta all of Galesburg, North Dakota.
All their friends and neighbors leave great sympathy for the family and are thankful that they mount not as those who have no hope.
Mrs. L. L. Muir

July 25, 1918


The shock and sense of loss did not come to the members of his congregation alone when it became known that Rev. Carl Van Auken, beloved Pastor of the Presbyterian church, had been called to the higher life, for in the short year he has been among us he had won all hearts. “Because” as one near to him remarked “he loved every one.” Active and interested in every good cause and tolerant of other people's views and convictions, even if they differed from his own, in non-essentials, he had won a lasting regard from all his neighbors of every set and condition of life.
He had been in failing health for some time and preached his last sermon in open disregard of his doctor's orders, though he was obliged to give up the baccalaureate sermon to the graduating class of the Hunter High School for which he had prepared. His sufferings were severe in spite of the ministrations of his devoted wife and doctor and nurses. But in the intervals of freedom from delirium his Christian faith shone out with the clear brilliancy of a light on a stormy coast and remains a precious legacy to his family and church for all time.
That his father and mother were able to come to him in time to be recognized by him, and his mother to help in the ministrations for his comfort, in ways only a mother understands, is an unspeakable blessing to his brave and loving wife as well as to themselves.
I am sorry I cannot find words to fittingly express the feelings of regard this whole community holds for him and for his family.
Carl Van Auken was born at the home of his parents, Rev. John C. Van Auken and his wife, January 17th, 1878, and was their only child. Their ambition for this precious child was that he might become a scientific up-to-date farmer, and his intense love of nature and animals seemed to justify their choice, so when he had finished the course at the Grand Rapids High School they gave him a two year course at the Michigan Agricultural College at Lansing.
For three years he faithfully strove to realize the highest ideals of farm life, nobly assisted by the wife he had taken to himself in the person of Miss Olive Morgan who had also taken a course at the same college: and to whom he was married at her home in Traverse City, Mich., November 2nd, 1897.
But while he was a student in the Grand Rapids High School he became a member of the Park St. Congregational church of that city, whose pastor at the time was Dan F. Bradley, who was for many years the consecrated president of Grinnell College, Iowa. The religious convictions he had imbibed in the Christian home in which he was raised were so deepened and strengthened by his association with this gifted man that he became imbued with the conviction that he must carry the gospel message he had received to others and with the hearty cooperation of his good wife began at once his preparation at Moody Institute, Chicago, and continued at Wheaton College, then was graduated from Chicago Theological Seminary with the degree B. D., the fourth in a class of twenty-five. Afterwards takinga post-graduate course at Oberlin, Ohio. An interesting fact concerning his ministry is that during those eighteen years he was never without a charge and missed only one appointment during the whole time. He had charges in the states of Ohio, Illinois, Iowa and North Dakota coming to this state in 1906.
Into their happy home came three promising children, but Marjorie the eldest and the only daughter died at the age of twelve years, at Preston, Iowa, and the boys John C. and Glenn M. are left to be the comfort of their mother's lonely heart.
A stranger would have known at once how great a man “had fallen in Israel” from the number of autos lining the street, and wealth of flowers that transformed the church into a veritable bower of beauty. Four ministers took part in the service and the singing was beautiful and appropriate.
Rev. C. H. Van Auken died at the Manse here in Hunter on Saturday afternoon, July 20, 1918, and the remains were laid to rest in the Hunter cemetery on Monday afternoon, July 22.

Local Man Takes up New York

For thirty-one years Henry Limburg has bought grain in Hunter. Seventeen of these years as an agent for the St. Anthony and Dakota Elevator Co., and the rest of the time as manager of the local Farmers Elevator Co. A short time ago Mr. Limburg resigned from his work with the elevator company and accepted one of the many positions which have been offered him at different times during his service here. He is now employed by the J. L. Owen Company, installing and experting their line of grain cleaners, a work he is well fitted to do through years of practical experience with these machines. The company is to be congratulated on securing the services of a man whose years of faithful, efficient work here assure it that Mr. Limburg will always be on the job, doing his very best. Every man, woman and child in the community wish him great success in his new line.
Although he will be on the road considerably now, he expects to still headquarter here for a time at least. We are glad that we are not going to lose this family from our village now, and hope he can so arrange his work that it will not be necessary that he move.

Amenia Township Man Now in Toils of Law

Edward Wahoske, a resident of Amenia township, was apprehended at a Mapleton picnic recently by the proper authorities and placed under arrest on a charge of stealing automobile tires. He was tried, found guilty and sentenced to serve thirty days in the Cass county jail.-Page Record

August 1, 1918

Cass County Threshermen's Meeting

The County Food Administrator, J. W. Riley, called a meeting of the threshermen in the county which was held in the high school auditorium at Casselton on July 18th, 1918. This meeting was called to acquaint the threshermen with the demands of the Federal food administration, and to secure an organized effort to save every possible kernel of grain for the Government, which ordinarily might be wasted.
A committee of three members, J. B. Sinner, Joseph Runck, and F. R. Johnson were appointed by Mr. Riley to act as the County threshing committee, to carry out the order of the Federal food administration.
The meeting was largely attended by threshermen from all parts of the county and seventy-six actual machine owners signed up membership cards. The question of rates for threshing was thoroughly discussed and the following rates were finally adopted by a vote.
1. Threshing by the day 40 inch separator or over, $85 per day.
36 inch separator, $75 per day.
32 inch separator, $65 per day.
28 inch separator, $50 per day.

In the case of machines smaller than 28 inches individual contracts will rule. In each of the above cases, the farmer is to pay $5.00 a day towards furnishing fuel.
2. Threshing by the bushel.
When a machine crew of three or four men is furnished:
Wheat and rye, 7 cents per bushel.
Barley, 6 cents per bushel.
Oats, 5 cents per bushel.
Flax, 15 cents per bushel.

3. Thresher furnishing full crew with machine and delivering grain in the tanks: Wheat, 18 cents per bushel.
Rye, oats and barley, 15 cents per bushel.
Flax, 30 cents per bushel.

After a lengthy discussion a scale of wages for harvest and threshing was voted upon and adopted as below:

Harvesting, $3.50 per day.
Threshing, $4.50 per day.

All threshermen who were not at the meeting and did not sign membership cards must send in their name and address to J. W. Riley of Fargo, at once, from where they will receive further instructions.

By Order of the Food Administrator

October 3, 1918


Rev. John C. Van Auken passed to his reward at his home, in Fenton, Michigan, on Thursday September 12 according to a message received by his grandson from his mother, Mrs. Olive Van Auken.
Everyone in this community will remember this grand old man, who arose from a sick bed and made the long, sad journey here to be at the bedside of his dying son, knowing full well that the trip would greatly shorten his own term of life. He and his heroic wife arrived in time to have a visit with their son and only child and to be an unspeakable comfort to his wife and family in their hour of sore bereavement. But shortly after the funeral he was obliged to give up and was confined to his bed until about five weeks ago when his doctor decided that his intense longing to be once more in his own home was harder for him that even the trip home would be and at last consented to his undertaking it. And we were all so glad that it was safely accomplished. For a time there seemed to be some improvement of his condition, then a change for the worse and he grew weaker and weaker until the end to a long eventful life came. Much sympathy is felt here for his faithful wife and family especially for his grandson John C. Van Auken Jr., who is a member of Hunter High School.
Resolutions of deep sympathy were passed by the woman's guild of the Presbyterian church.

October 7, 1918


At the home of Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Kayser, on Saturday evening, Oct. twenty-sixth, at eight o'clock occurred the marriage of Mrs. Wm. R. Robinson, of this city, to Mr. Oscar C. Robinson, formerly of Hunter, North Dakota. The couple were united in holy wedlock by Rev. A. E. Beddoes and were attended by Mr. and Mrs. Lee S. Bannister, the latter being a daughter of the groom.
Relatives of the contracting parties were present, among these O. E. Robinson of Riverhurst, Sask., Canada.
Mr. and Mrs. Robinson expect to make their home in Milbank, where the bride has resided for so many years, and where a great host of friends are extending congratulations. The groom is a brother of the former husband of the bride, William Robinson, and for a year or two past has been at Riverhurst, Sask., where he has been in business, which he has now disposed of.-The Milbank Herald Advance.

November 21, 1918

Influenza Victim

This community was shocked Tuesday to learn of the sudden death of Mrs. Bartsch Voorthysen in Great Falls from influenza. She had been ill when influenza was contracted and could not withstand its ravages.
The remains were brought to Brady Thursday and burial made in the local cemetery, the services being conducted by Rev. Hawkins of Conrad. Deceased was the third daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Emil Bartsch, born Aug. 23, 1893. Was married April --, 1916, and until this summer had lived near this place. She is a fine young lady, a successful school teacher and loved and cherished by many friends in this community.
The bereaved husband, the aged parents, four sisters and five brothers besides a large circle of friends mourn the unexpected calling of this excellent young lady. - Leader, Great Falls, Mont.

December 5, 1918

Laid to Rest

Almen, son of Mr. and Mrs. Christ Thompson, who live northwest of Hunter, died at Fargo last week on Monday, Nov. 25th, 1918.
Almen was born on October 24th, 1896. ---- He has lived here all his life, he was a young man and had many friends here who mourn his early death. He leaves to mourn beside a host of friends, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Christ Thompson, three sisters, Clara, Frieda, now Mrs. Van Zee, and Agnes, three brothers, Thorwald, Edwin, and Anton. Two brothers and one sister, who reside in Montana, were unable to get here for the funeral.
He enlisted in the service of his country November 5th of this year and was sent to the S. A. T. C. at Fargo, where he soon after became a victim of the Flu, which was the direct cause of his death.
The remains were shipped here on Thursday of last week accompanied by Richard Rasmussen, and they were laid to rest in our cemetery on Saturday afternoon. Rev. Turmo preached a very impressive, but short sermon, using as his text “What Christ said Peter, What I do you today you don't understand, but You will Know it Later.” The pallbearers were: Oscar and Robert Kyllo, Cameron Moen, Albert Norby and Herbert and George Baldock.
The many friends of the bereaved ones extend their most sincere sympathy at this time when the hour is darkest.

December 12, 1918

New Store gets Manager

There was a meeting of the directors of the newly organized store here in Hunter on Monday afternoon. At this meeting a manager was secured and also an assistant. The new manager is Peter P. Beringer of Perham, Minn., and his assistant is Gust Hogenson of this place. Mr. Beringer has for many years been manager of one of the best stores in Perham and has made good all the time. He comes here with a reputation and there is every reason to believe that he will make good here. Mr. Hogenson was for many years the manager of the hardware department of Gale, Carr & Co. of this place, and is well known by all. The new store will handle a full line of general merchandise as well as hardware. It will be known as Hunter Co-Operative Mercantile Co. They have purchased the building of J. G. Knudtson and also the stock, and will put in a large quantity of goods before they open for business. Watch this paper for their large opening announcement.

In Memorium

On Thursday evening, November 28, occurred the death of Otto, the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Ole Korshus, at their home in this village. The deceased died from pneumonia, following an attack of influenza, after an illness of about two weeks. The deceased was born at Mankato, Minn., on Dec. 1, 1898. His parents moved to Galesburg, where they resided ever since, and where the young boy grew to manhood. During the past few years the deceased together with his brother Paul was associated with their father in the business as contractors and builders, and also as owners of the Galesburg light and power plant. He was the youngest of seven children who survive as follows: Mrs. Theodore Haugen, Spokane, Wash.; Iver Korshus, Mrs. J. O. Satrom, Paul Korshus, Miss Minnie Korshus, Galesburg, N. D. ; and Anton Korshus, of Fargo. All were present at his death except his sister, Mrs. Haugen, and his brother Anton, who were unable to be present on account of illness. The deceased was a popular young man with a most prominent future before him, and his loss will be keenly felt by the whole community. The funeral was held on Friday, Nov. 29th, and his last earthly remains were put to rest in the Lutheran church cemetery, Rev. O. Turmo, officiating. Floral wreaths and tokens of affection covered his casket as a final token of esteem of his many relatives and friends, that following him to his last resting place. The afflicted parents have the genuine sympathy of the whole community in this, their dark hour of bereavement.

2012 Copyrighted and Contributed by Steven Pueppke

Newspaper Extractions Index
Back to the Cass County, NDGenWeb