Hunter News 1919 Hunter Herald

January 2, 1919

The Hunter Honor Roll

The following is a list of the boys who have answered the call of their country.
Read the Honor Roll. We now have six gold stars in our service flag. The following are the boys who gave their life for their country:

Martin Vos Scott Berdell
Walter Bloom
Albert Wallner
Bernard Berdell
Walter C. Alberts
Almer C. Thompson
Read the list and if we have omitted anyone, let us know.
Leo Smith Emil Moen
Will Fiske
David Bell
Gust Holm
Edwin Bye
Clark Spare
Ernest Vos
Almon Sayer
W. L. Boyce
Carl Madsen
Ray Sherritt
Peter Holtse
Nels Kempe
Eddie Adams
G. S. Albert
Harry Olson
Halsey Lane
Emil Hanson
Joe Redmond
Wm. Dickson
Chris Hanson
Harry Lacock
Lewis Aikenv
Earl Frickey
W. H. Young
Emil Madsen
Ralph Young
William Moen
Leo Jorgenson
Warren Odell
Axel Peterson
Sigward Kyllo
Victor Larson
Alfred Jensen
Fred Sorenson
Chris Sorenson
Carl Swanson
Michael Smith
Chas. Lowman
Geo. Hogenson
Eugene Adams
A. W. Sherritt
Clarence Fiske
Murrell Miller
James Dickson
Vincent Myrah
Clifford Rogers
Albert Stewart
Earl Hockridge
Herbert Tinnes
Clarence Aiken
P. T. Thompson
Arden McCauley
Axel Rasmussen
Rudolph Holten
McKinley Tubbs Dr. G. H. Oakes R. J. Critchfield Arthur Peterson Milo F. Van Zile William Peterson Vernon C. Tinnes Floyd Hockridge R. M. Knudtson Chris P. Hanson Leslie McLachlin Carelton Sherritt Fred Rasmussen Louis Gottfredsen Jake Winnistofer Charlie McCauley Charles F. Collins McLain Critchfield Jas. Alfred Kempe Albert Winnistofer Richard Rasmussen

January 9, 1919 Obituary

The three year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Johnson died on December 19, 1918, at the age of three years, four months and eleven days old.
Altha Frances Virginia Johnson was born here at Hunter on the 8th day of August, 1915, and had been sick but a few days from pneumonia when she died, the remains were buried in Hunter cemetery. She was a bright little girl and had been the joy of her parents, who deeply mourn her loss.
Death is a hard monster. He would take from us of our brightest and best, but he cannot ever mar memory. It will serve as a balm to our wounded hearts.
Brakeman Loses Both Legs under Cars, Dies Falling between the moving freight cars on the Great Northern railway at Vance, N. D., Henry Zandow, 19, received mortal injuries yesterday noon when both legs were severed from his body. He was immediately rushed to Fargo, but passed away at a local hospital last night at 8 o'clock.
Zandow was a brakeman on the Larimore-Casselton division of the Great Northern railway. His train was switching cars at Vance when the accident occurred. The wheels passed over his body, cutting one leg off almost at the hip and the other just above the knee. With the caboose and engine he was rushed into Fargo from Vance with is 20 miles northwest of this city, arriving at 1:30 o'clock.
The deceased made his home in Casselton. Relatives at Pequot, Minn., were notified last night of the accident. - Fargo Courier News

February 6, 1919

Mr. Fred Peterson Passes Away

The community of Hunter was greatly shocked and grieved on Wednesday morning to hear of the death of Mr. Fred Peterson, one of the most respected citizens. Mr. Peterson was in town the latter part of last week, but was stricken down on the evening of Friday the 24th. Dr. Baillie was called and rendered his valuable assistance and skill, but in spite of this he grew rapidly worse, pneumonia developed, which resulted in his death on Wednesday morning, Jan. 29, 1919, between 8 and 9 o'clock.
Axel who is in the U. S. navy was notified of his father's sickness but owing to a broken limb could not answer the call home.
Laura, the eldest daughter, who is serving as nurse in the Mayo Hospital, arrived home on Tuesday, but was stricken down with tonsillitis, but is better at this writing.
Mr. Peterson was born in Denmark, he migrated to this country in 1888, being 19 years of age. He was married in 1892 to Miss Matilda Hanson, and to this marriage were born 8 children, two of which have died, those who survive him are Axel, Laura, Willie, Elmar, Edith, and Agnes, they with Mrs. Peterson feel very keenly the loss of their kind husband and father.
Mr. Peterson was a member of the Lutheran Church of Denmark. The funeral service was held at the home on Thursday afternoon at three o'clock, the Rev. O. L. Anthony of Hunter officiating, the funeral was largely attended by neighbors and friends, also by members of the Woodmen Lodge of which he was a member, the profusion of beautiful flowers evidenced the esteem in which the departed one was held, many other friends were present at the grave, as was also the Woodmen Lodge in a body.
The sympathy of the community goes out to the bereaved relatives and friends, in this, their sad hour of their bereavement, with a prayer that he who has promised to be Father to the Fatherless and husband to the widow, may be their comfort and stay.

February 20, 1919

Mrs. Stoel Collins

Mrs. Stoel Collins died at the home of her son, Chas. S. Collins, Saturday afternoon after three months illness caused by a fall.
Louisa Wilcox was born January fifth 1835 at Sardinia, Erie County, New York, where she lived the early part of her life. She was married February the 23rd, 1854 to Stoel Collins of Springville, N. Y. where they made it their home until 1866 when they started for Minnesota with other families traveling by team and boat to St. Paul as there were no railroads. They went from St. Paul to Sunrise, Minn., where they have made their home ever since. To them were born seven children, all living except the eldest who died before they left N. Y. Those living are Mrs. Louise Rhodes of Duluth, Chas. S. of Hunter, N. Dak., Geo. B. of Minneapolis, Mrs. Geo. Duncanson of Troy, Montana; Mrs. Walter Nelson of Duluth, Minn.; Frank A. of Milan, Wash. Only one sister, Mrs. Nancy Starkweather, of a family of nine children, survive her, and seventeen grandchildren and fifteen great grandchildren. All of her children have been with her since she has been in Hunter and three were with her until the end. Thru all her life she always thought of others first and continued her thoughtfulness all through her long illness.

March 27, 1919

Miss Freeda E. Teter passes to her Reward

Freeda Esther Teter was born near Cantril, Iowa July 16th, 1897, at the age of five years moved with her parents to Scotland Co., Mo., 7 years later they moved to Milton, Iowa, attended school as a Senior but through ill health was prevented from graduating with her class. She united with the Methodist Episcopal Church in Milton and was an earnest worker in the Epworth League, and was honored by being chosen several times to the various conventions.
She was also very prominent in the social affairs of the community, and was greatly missed by all when they moved in 1915 to N. Dakota where she has lived until the time of her death.
In May 1916 she entered Dakota Business College at Fargo and after her graduation accepted a position at the First National Bank, Fargo, N. Dak. which she held until compelled by failing health to relinquish it.
Freeda was a brave girl and a patient sufferer, and through the long weeks of acute pain, she bore with unusual fortitude all that came upon here. She was an accomplished young lady, loved and esteemed by all that knew her.
After coming home from her position in Fargo, Dr. Baillie was called, and with his usual careful attention and great skill, applied himself to her case, and for a time it seemed that his efforts were going to be successful, after having her limb in a cast for weeks, and after its removal she was able to walk, but contracting a severe cold in Jan. 1918, she then contracted the Flu when she was removed to St. Johns Hospital, having recovered from the Flu she returned to her home in Hunter Dec. 11th.
Desirous of doing all that could be done for her in the disease that had settled upon her the best expert was sought out and on Feb. 12th 1919 her father journeyed with her to St. Paul, but no encouragement was given only amputation, with a 99 to 1 hope of recovery, as a brave girl she decided to fight against the disease without the risk of the operation and returned home, she contracted a severe cold on the way home but after a few weeks of careful nursing was better and hope entertained that she would rally but on Friday 14th symptoms developed which gave alarm and on Sunday 16th at 3 o'clock in the afternoon a turn for the worst came, and friends gathered round her bed and on Monday morning she passed away to her reward.
Funeral services were held in the Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church Hunter with Rev. O. L. Anthony the pastor officiating, a large crowd gathered to pay their respects and show their sympathy in the sad hour of bereavement. Many beautiful wreaths were sent by friends. She leaves father and mother, 2 brothers and 2 sisters to mourn her loss and a host of friends near and far.

April 10, 1919


Carl Dameron Cook was born at David City, Neb. Oct. 8, 1884, and passed away at the home of his sister, Mrs. John M. Walsh in Kansas City, Mo., March 14, 1919, after an illness of nine weeks. He was the youngest child of Dr. and Mrs. C. C. Cook, and spent most of his boyhood days in Scotia, where he is well known. Carl received his musical education in Chicago, and followed this profession in Hunter, North Dak., Polson, Mont. and Anderson, Mo. His beautiful character endeared him to all who were associated with him, as was shown by the many kind letters, floral tributes and messages of sympathy from his many friends in the places where he has lived.
The funeral was held in the M. E. church Tuesday morning, conducted by Rev. Cresap, and he was laid to rest in Mt. Hope cemetery at Scotia, beside his father, mother, and one sister.
He is survived by four sisters: Mrs. John M. Welsh, of Kansas City, Mo., Mrs. Harry Krebs, Boise, Idaho, Mrs. Guy Dann, Port Angeles, Wash.; and Mrs. Frank Miller, Scotia, Neb., his father, mother and three sisters having passed on before.
The people of Scotia unite in extending sympathy to the sorrowing relatives.-Kansas City Star

May 1, 1919

Encampment Organized in Hunter, N. D.

On Monday evening of this week, Grand Patriarch George Emslie, of Devils Lake, came here and instituted an Encampment in Hunter. There were 32 charter members, and he entrusted them all in the different degrees, several of them acting as candidates, while the rest watched the work being put on.
The new organization will be known as Hunter Encampment No. 31, I. O. O. F. of North Dakota.
After the work had been put on the following officers were installed: C. P.-A. M. Peterson
H. P.-George Osberne
S. W.-W. C. Stewart
J. W.-R. A. Sayer
R. S.-F. O. Eberhardt
F. S.-H. J. Jacobsen
Treas.-Mel Ostrander.

At about midnight a fine lunch was served by Sanderson, the restaurant man, and say the way the boys ate was a sure sign that the lunch was a good one.

May 8, 1919

Pretty Home Wedding Solemnized

At the F. T. Young home on Thursday evening, April 24th A pretty home wedding was solemnized Thursday evening, April 24 at eight o'clock at the home of Mr. and Mrs. F. T. Young when their only daughter Bernice became the bride of Lieut. Richard Earl Hockridge.
At the appointed hour the couple unattended, wearing their service uniforms, took their places in front of the bower of ferns in the east parlor, where Rev. O. C. Gross performed the ceremony in the presence of only the immediate relatives using the beautiful and impressive ring service. The decorations were roses and other cut flowers.
While refreshments were being served the Band stationed outside furnished music.
The bride is one of Le Roy's most popular and accomplished young ladies, having been born and brought up in this village. She is a graduate of Pillsbury Academy and has attended Carleton College two years. She was accepted as a student nurse in the Army Training Corps in Dec. 1918 where she served until April 3rd at the Base Hospital at Camp Dodge, Iowa, where she returned home.
The groom was born at Hunter, N. Dak., where he grew to young manhood and went through high school. Soon after he went to Mexico with the American Forces. When the United States declared war on Germany he went to France as a private with the North Dakota National Guard, Co. B. 164th Infantry. He was transferred to Co. M. 18th Infantry 1st division in December 1917.
He was wounded in February, 1918, and after his recovery was sent to school at Langres, France as sergeant where he was commissioned a month and a half later. On Sept. 29, 1918 all men commissioned from the regular army were sent as replacement units to National Army outfits. He was sent to Co. K. 327th Infantry 1st Division October 6th, 1918. On October 7th after being with his unit only eighteen hours he was wounded a second time in the battle of Belloy's Woods near Verdun and Grand Pre.
He was decorated by the French Government with the Legion of Honor and Palm, on November 18th, 1918, and has been recommended for the D. S. C. and Croix de Guerre.
Lieut. Hockridge is still in the service and is stationed at the Base Hospital, Camp Dodge, Ia. for which place the happy couple left on the night train.
The many friends of Ms. Hockridge join in wishing to her and the man of her choice a happy and prosperous wedded life. Le Roy Independent.

May 15, 1919


May 1st Mrs. Mary Barber passed into the higher life at the home of her son Harry Barber at Heaton, N. D. 8:30 p. m. at the advanced age of seventy-seven years. In the spring of 1884 she came with her husband Joseph Barber and their three sons Harry, Clare and Willie, from northern Illinois, to make their home in our community.
And we were glad indeed, to welcome them, for in those days we were in great need to be more peopled, and a very short acquaintance convinced us that they were the right sort. And we never had reason to change our minds. The Barber home very soon became a very popular gathering place for the young people, for the mother had a rare gift of sympathetic interest in the social affairs of the younger generation as well as those of her own, and no social function was considered complete without her. But she was ever ready to answer to the call for help in cases of illness or accident (so frequent and insistent in those days when the nearest doctor was at Casselton and only a regular nurse in all this region.) Mary Holyrod was born at Cortland, New York, April 1st, 1842, daughter of Rev. Holyrod, a Baptist minister from England and Susan Knickerbacker, as her name would indicate, of the famous old Dutch stock that helped to make so much of the early history of our country.
While “Little Mary” was a child she was taken with her parents to live on the southern Illinois prairies, where she grew to womanhood; and she was married and her children were born there. She was converted in early life and ever after lived a consistent Christian life. Toward the end of her long and useful life her faith grew especially strong and clear, realizing in her experience the fulfillment of the plea in Miss - Cary's hymn: "Father perfect my trust;
Let my spirit feel in death
That her feet are firmly set
On the rock of a living faith."
She was married in 1860 to Joseph Barber and their life together was, in the main and in the truest sense, a happy and prosperous one, of course there were trials and disappointment and many hardships for all in those early pioneer days, but there were strong hearts and willing hands to help make the desert places blossom, and all around the old home that they built, still stand the beautiful trees and shrubs they planted. And one can fancy in the soft rustle of the breeze swept on an exchange of memories of the time when the old house was full of loving hopeful life. But all earthly conditions are subject to change, so when the good husband and father went on into the heavenly rest, after a long and painful illness in October 1896, the home was closed up and she has made her home with her oldest son ever since, except for the many long visits she has made with her brothers and sister in New York, Kansas and Nebraska for she was a good traveler and enjoyed nothing so much as a trip. But she always returned to her home with a thankful freshened spirit. She enjoyed her many friends and was devoted to her children and grandchildren, Bernice, Dallas and Lucille, and her four great grandchildren.
Her son Clare has long made his home at Belgrade, Montana, and Will died at the home of a dear friend in --- Kansas, in 1909, just before his mother reached his bedside she having been detained by a washout in the railroad. She leaves besides her children and grandchildren three brothers one her brother Will whose home is in Iowa was able to attend the funeral which was held in the Congregational church at Heaton Sunday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Atkinson, pastor of the Congregational church at Carrington.
The grandson Lieut. Dallas Barber of Fargo and her granddaughter Bernice, now Mrs. Harry Scott, and --- of Cleaseland were also in attendance.
She was laid to rest in the Hunter cemetery beside her husband after a brief service at the graveside by Rev. Hamilton of the Presbyterian church, of which she was one of the earliest and most active members during her residence here.

June 19, 1919

A. D. Atherton Passes Suddenly Away

Mr. A. D. Atherton was born in -nton, PA. July 9th 1838. Was married to Miss Sarah Pike, April 1856. Moved to St. Ansgar, Ia. in 1878. Mrs. Sarah Atherton passed away in that place December 27th ---. From St. Ansgar Mr. Atherton removed to Fort Snelling in 1881. He was married to Ellen Armstrong Feb. 9th 1882.
He came to North Dakota the next year residing at Casselton for a time. Later he moved onto the --- farm near Hunter. From there he moved to Minot where he lived for some years, later moving to Hunter, in 1912, where he made his home with his stepdaughter Mrs. Levi Thompson.
He leaves to mourn his loss, a sister, Mrs. Mary Becans, 87 years of age, 3 nephews and 2 nieces, two son-in-laws, 3 step children, and 5 grandchildren.
He was a familiar figure in Hunter and loved by a host of friends, he was a marvelous man for his age and up to the day of his death was seen in and around home, and took great interest in all local affairs, kept a diary in which each day he made a note of all that transpired, and could refer to things as a result, this painstaking, to his own pleasure and profit of others.
He was a regular attendant of the Methodist Church and quite frequently other churches, he became a member of the Epworth League about one year ago.
His death was a surprise, as it came suddenly, he passed away in his home while sitting in his chair, on --- evening, 9:15 o'clock without a word or struggle. The Funeral services were conducted by Rev. O. L. Anthony in the Methodist church --- morning at 10 o'clock there being a large attendance, and a profusion of flowers, he was buried in the Hunter cemetery, there to await the general resurrection from the dead.

July 31, 1919

George Hudson dies suddenly Saturday night

Had been suffering for some time, ulcerated tooth, death sudden Death came unexpected to Mr. George Hudson, a rancher of the south bench Saturday night about nine o'clock bringing a severe shock to his family and friends.
Mr. Hudson had been suffering from a badly ulcerated tooth for several weeks and the last two days before his death was in great bodily pain.
Mr. Hudson bore it grittily and kept at his work and was in Ryegate the day before his death. He did not realize that there could be a fatality attached to an ailment of this nature and but few people could believe that this could produce death. However, much of the poison must have been absorbed by Mr. Hudson's system which in time reached the heart causing that organ to cease its function.
Mr. Hudson was a man yet young in years and leaves, besides his wife and five small children, he leaves a mother and three sisters to mourn his loss.
Mother and sisters of Mr. Hudson came here to attend the funeral.

George Hulbert Hudson was born the 20th day of May 1886 in Hunter, N. D. He was married to Mary A. Cooney, July 3rd, 1911, and came to Montana in 1912, and has lived here for seven years all of the time in Ryegate and the surrounding country.
Five dear little girls have come into the home, Agnes, Gladys, Bernice, Lucile and Irene.
Mr. Hudson passed away very suddenly with neuralgia of the heart on July 12, 1919. He leaves a wife and five children, a mother, Mrs. S. Hamilton of Moorin, Alberta, and three sisters Mrs. May Moody of Moorin, Alberta, Canada; Mrs. Ellie Lindsey of Casselton, N. D. and Mrs. Katie Franke of Erie, N. D., to mourn the loss of a loving husband, father, son and brother. The deceased was well known here in the vicinity of Ryegate and highly respected. He was a Methodist in belief, but not an active member of the church at Ryegate.
A large circle of friends will sympathize with Mrs. Hudson and her family of little girls in their calamity. The funeral was conducted at the residence, four miles south-west of Ryegate on Wednesday afternoon, July 16 at 4 o'clock P. M. by the pastor of the Methodist church. A. J. Armstrong, and the remains laid to rest in the Ryegate cemetery.
--Ryegate Reporter, Ryegate, Mont.

August 14, 1919

S. F. Colwell, who went to St. Paul, Minn., with some stock is now home again.
A baby girl was born to Mr. and Mrs. Anton Johnson last week on Thursday. All are getting along fine.

August 28, 1919

The Misses McLachlin

Word has been received from Canada that Miss Marian McLachlin was slightly injured in what might have been a fatal accident. While riding in an auto there the car in some way turned completely over. Marian was the only occupant of the car who was hurt. If the car had stopped upside down they all would probably have been killed. We do not know, but we suspect that the auto was going more than eight miles an hour when the accident occurred.
Miss Irma McLachlin is in St. Luke's Hospital at Fargo, where she was operated on for appendicitis and also had her tonsils removed. She is doing nicely and probably will be home in a few days now.
August 28, 1919 S. F. Colwell and wife were in Fargo last week on Friday making the trip by auto.
Fred Bolmeier of Erie, who has been here for the past two weeks, is now nearly through with the painting of the Equity Elevator. He also gave the International Elevator a new coat.

September 11, 1919


Eliza Anderson was born in Ireland Conneaught, December 25th, 1840, and came to Ontario when a child. She lost her mother at a very young age. She grew to womanhood in pioneer settlements stron, ----, industrious and perseverant and was married to Robert Mitchell in 1859 at Georgetown, Ontario. To this union seven children were born, four of whom survive, -- of Hunter, Ed of Miami, Fla., --- of Jamestown and Albert of W----, N. D.
--- dead are John, Eliza and ----.
With her husband she came to his home here in Hunter in 1886 and she has considered her home here, though since her husband died she has been away from time to time --- living with her childdren for --- shorter periods of time, --- a year she has had a pleasant --- and kindly care with Mr. and Mrs. David McComb of Blanchard. But always when she was away she was longing to return here, for she had an intense love for this town and enjoyed a year and some months --- and care with Mrs. Collins of Hunter, for she has been sorely afflicted with physical infirmities for --- many years.
She and her husband united with the Presbyterian church of Hunter where she was always a regular attendee at the service when it was possible. She has been a member of the Presbyterian Ladies Aid Society since its organization and was a willing and efficient worker.
She was counted a good housekeeper and hospitable, especially with her children and grandchildren and a devoted nurse to her husband during his long lingering illness.
She was devoted to her children and never spared herself in efforts to promote their welfare as she understood it.
She passed away in the hospital at ---, September 5th and was laid to rest besides her husband and daughter in the beautiful cemetery in Hunter, Rev. Hamilton, Pastor of the Presbyterian church officiating in the church and at the grave.
There were many of the beautiful flowers she loved so well, from the Ladies Aid and other friends.

September 18, 1919

American Legion Post Organized at Hunter

On last Sunday afternoon, Hunter's post of the American Legion was organized. The meeting was called to order at 3:00 P. M. by Almon Sayer, acting as temporary chairman.
The following officers were nominated and elected for the period of one year: Commanding Officer, Charles Lowman, vice Post Commander, Almon Sayer, Post adjutant, McKinley Tubbs, Finance Officer, Wm. Peterson, Post Historian, Earl Frickey and Post Chaplin, Doctor. G. H. Oakes.
The Charter for the Post has already been granted by the National Organization and the Post was named the “Albert W. Wallner” Post after Albert W. Wallner of this city who was the first man to be killed in action from the community.
The By-Laws of the Organization were modeled after those of the Post at Fargo, N. D. and the membership fee decided upon to be $2.00 per year.
The following former service men were present and were elected as members: Emil I. Moen, W. C. Peterson, Clarence Fisk, Charles Lowman, Richard Rasmussen, Wm. Fisk, Earl Frickey, Almon S. Sayer, Lewis Aiken, C. Sorenson Jr., Clarence Aiken, Michael Smith, G. H. Oakes, William L. ---, Lee Coughlin, M. D. Tubbs, and Charles McAuley.
The Finance Officer was directed to pay Z. F. Hamilton four dollars which he advanced in payment of the Charter for the Post and a vote of thanks was offered to Mr. Hamilton for his help in starting the Post and keeping it going until such time as it could be taken over by the men of the service.
A special meeting was called for next Sunday afternoon at 3:00 P. M., September 21st, 1919, for the purpose of taking in new members. All old members are urged to be present and to bring with them at least one new member. The members of the post are planning some good times in winter and all honorably discharged men of the Army, Navy and services should get in on it.

October 16, 1919

Cyril E. Mitchell was probably Lost at Sea

According to the best information obtainable, Cyril E. Mitchell, only son of Mr. and Mrs. Ed. Mitchell formerly of this city but now of Miami, probably lost his life in the tornado that swept the Florida Straits Sept. 8th to 10th. Cyril was a radio operator in the U. S. Navy during the war and was stationed at Miami Beach. He received his discharge early in August and Aug. 13th left here for Baltimore where he entered the employment of the Marconi Company. A little later he was made wireless operator on “The Larimer” a large oil tanker of the Gulf Refining Co. tank line. From Baltimore they shipped to Port Arthur, Texas, and from there to Tampico, Mexico where they took on a cargo of oil and started back to Baltimore. Monday Sept. 8th, the tanker reported by wireless at Sand Key, 8 miles south of Key West and from there headed east. She was apparently in the direct path of the tornado and since leaving Sand Key not a word has been heard from the ship. The head office of the Gulf Refining company at Port Arthur notified Mr. Mitchell about a week ago that they had been unable to get any word from “The Larimer” and if they should get any word or reports from the ship they would wire him immediately. Up to the time of going to press no word had been received. It is now more than four weeks since the last word was received and it is quite probably that “The Larimer” went down with all on board.-Fort Lauderdale Sentinel.

October 31, 1919


Miss Ida May Bordeleau becomes Bride of Mr. Leo Gretter

An unusually elaborate and pretty wedding took place at nine o'clock Tuesday morning of last week at St. Leo's Catholic church, Casselton, when Miss Ida May Bordeleau, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. Bordeleau, became the bride of Mr. Leo Gretter of Grandin. Rev. Father Quillinan, officiating.
Preliminary to the arrival of the wedding party Mrs. S. A. Murphy sweetly sang “O Promise Me.” The happy couple was attended y Mrs. T. J. Meldahl of Valley City, sister of the bride, as matron of honor, and Miss Loretta Gretter, sister of the groom, as bridesmaid. The groom's attendants were Albert Gretter and Alfred Bordeleau. Miss Isabel Stevens was a dainty flower girl who strewed blossoms in the path of the bride, and Master Adlen Stevens was the ring bearer. The party entered the church and departed to the strains of the Lohengrin wedding march, at the close Mrs. Murphy sang: “I Love You Truly,” and during the Mass gave the solo, “O Salutaris.” Mrs. Herbert Nillies of Fargo was organist.
The bride was gowned in white georgette with satin bodice, and the bridal veil was held in place by a rope of pearls. She bore a shower bouquet of white and yellow roses, and the bridesmaid in blue georgette with corsage bouquet of pink roses.
An elaborate and elegant five-course wedding breakfast was served at the Bordeleau home after the marriage, tables being set for 35 guests. The decorations were in yellow and white with yellow chrysanthemums and white carnations the floral feature. The breakfast attendants were four young lady friends of the bride.
Mr. and Mrs. Gretter left during morning for Fargo by car, and departed from that city on N. P. No. 4 for Minneapolis and eastern points. They bear the best wishes of a host of friends.
Out of town guests were Mrs. Wm. Bordeleau of Duluth; Mr. and Mrs. Henry Mayoue of Oriska; Mr. and Mrs. Victor Jewette; Mr. Isaac Mayoue and Mrs. Geo. Stevens of Tower City; Mr. Geo. Mayoue and Mr. A. Stevenson of Fargo; Mr. and Mrs. H. Gretter and family and Geo. Sale of Grandin.

December 25, 1919

Hunter Girl Marries

Mrs. Georgia McKenzie of Victoria, B. C. announces the marriage of her daughter Mary Gilbert to John Graham Simpson, on Wednesday the tenth day of December 1919.
The happy couple will be at home after January fifteenth at 909 Bank Street, Victoria, B. C.
This announcement will interest many of our readers as the McKenzie family were a long time honored and beloved members of our community and Mary was a great favorite with all.
A Quiet Wedding A wedding of unusual interest to Hunter people took place at the residence of Rev. O. E. McCracken, the officiating clergyman in Fargo Monday Dec. 22nd when Inez Olive, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. August Faltz of Arthur was united in marriage to Dr. George H. Oakes of Hunter. They were attended by Zelma Hildebrand of Detroit, Minn., and George Landon of Hunter and left immediately for Minneapolis and other Minnesota points where they will spend their honeymoon. They will be at home in Hunter after Feb. 15th having rented the F. C. Sayer residence for the winter.

2012 Copyrighted and Contributed by Steven Pueppke

Newspaper Extractions Index
Back to the Cass County, NDGenWeb