Hunter News 1920 Hunter Herald

January 1, 1920

Laid to Rest

Stoel Collins, son of Stoel and Mary Collins, was born in Springville, New York, February the fifth 1832. His boyhood life was spent in the place of his birth, and in 1854 he married Louisa Wilcox of Sardina, N. York, and eleven years after they were married they came west to St. Paul, Minn. from which place they went by team to Sunrise, where they made their home until the past year or so. Mr. Collins was a blacksmith and followed the trade until the last fifteen years.
Seven children were born to them and all but one grown to manhood and womanhood and still living expect one who died when small. The children are Ida deceased, Louise Rhodes of Chula Vista, Cal., Chas. S. of Hunter, N. Dak., Geo. B. of Minneapolis, Mrs. Mena Duncanson of Troy, Montana, Mrs. Alice Nelson of Minneapolis and Frank of Milan, Wash. He is survived also by three sisters, Amie Flanders of Minneapolis, Mrs. Wolleat of Sunrise, Mrs. May Stukey of Bellingham, Wash.
Stoel Collins was a charter member of the A. O. W. W. of North Branch, Minn. and has belonged to the Masonic Lodge since he was twenty-two years old. The members of the Masonic Order of Hunter had charge of the last rites of their brother and buried him with their impressive service.
Mr. and Mrs. Stoel Collins came to Hunter to visit their son, Chas., and while there Mrs. Collins was taken sick and died Feb. 15, 1919, her husband surviving her by less than eleven months. Mr. Collins joined his wife in the Great Beyond by sleeping away at ten o'clock December the twenty-sixth, after a short illness, patient, loving and thoughtful of others until the very end. All of his children were present at his funeral except for Louise and Frank.

January 20, 1920


Mary Louise, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. H. Coe, was born near Dayton, Ohio, on June 22nd, 1852 and was the eldest of a family of six children, two of whom are still living and reside at Kansas City, Missouri. While still in her teens she went with her parents to live at Elmwood, Illinois, there she met Mr. Elsbury Morey and there they were married October 2nd 1871 and when she was barely nineteen years of age. This was a happy marriage for there was both love and congeniality, and to this union were born five children, three of whom survive her, Mrs. Charles Roberts of Dawson, North Dakota, Mrs. W. F. Baillie of Hunter, North Dakota and Mr. E. F. Morey, Jamestown, North Dakota.
In 1883 they came to Dawson with their little family, and made their home there until 1889 when they moved to Sanford, Florida, looking for a more salubrious climate; and they lived there in peace and contentment until the home was broken by the death of the husband and father in March 1901. They then returned to North Dakota and the mother has since been tenderly cared for in the homes of her devoted daughters.
She enjoyed exceptionally good health until after she had cared for her mother in the last illness when she developed a malady which caused her unspeakable suffering for years and was the indirect cause of her untimely death.
A tumor formed so near the spinal cord as to make an operation extremely dangerous, when she understood this she bravely decided to take this one chance and was carried on a cot to Philadelphia accompanied by her daughter and her daughter's husband, Dr. W. F. Baillie. The operation was entirely successful and she came home so thankful and so happy, and there was such a blessed enjoyment of everything until what the doctors feared came to pass and the tumor began to grow again and persisted until she lay perfectly rigid and helpless for many months. The operation was done by a world famous surgeon in Feb. 1910. But there never was seen fit seems to me, such patient resignation, such a living glowing resignment of the power of the gospel of Christ to help and comfort in times of suffering and distress. She greeted every one who called upon her with the same beautiful smile and everyone who was privileged to stand by her bedside was inspired and helped by it.
During all her adult life she was a member of some church and at the time of her death was a member of the Congregational church of Dawson, and her Pastor came, in spite of much physical disability, to assist in her funeral service, which was beautiful with the wealth of flowers and sweet singing of the dear old songs and hymns she and her husband had sung together in their happy youth.
She has vanished from our mortal vision but she has left a priceless legacy to her children and grandchildren and to her faithful loving friends who were privileged to minister to her in her helplessness.
And when we remember the happy reunion with her loved ones “over there” we cannot complain our mourn as do those without hope.
The flowers she loved will miss her when the spring time comes again. And the little ones that clustered around her couch of pain.
We look and look for Grandma But they will look in vain.
Teach them, O, Gentle Mothers,

With patient faith and love That that light vanished here, Is shining bright above.
A Remarkable Family With the advent of a little girl at their home on January 12th, Mr. and Mrs. Peder Dullum, of Kelso township, were blessed with their eighteenth child. Of this remarkable family 17 are living, 15 of whom are staying at home. This couple evidently are firm believers in the Roosevelt principle. - Hillsboro Banner.

January 29, 1920

Eastern Star Chapter Instituted

A new chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, to be known as Vesta Chapter, U. D., was organized Thursday January 22, at Hunter, by Chas. E. Boyden, Grand Patron, Minnie E. Rusk as installing officer; Mrs. W. F. Hooper district deputy as Grand marshal; Worthy Matron Stella Olson of Mecca chapter, acting as grand secretary, and Past Matron Pearl May, as chaplain. Orient chapter of Casselton put on the degree work in splendid manner. Dinner and a later lunch were served to 30 or more out of town guests. Courier News.
Following is the list of officers installed: W. M. Mrs. Mary Knudtson, W. P. Mr. T. C. Hocking, A. M. Mrs. Percie Collins, Sec. Mrs. Eva C. Tinnes, Treas. Mrs. Katherine Hoxie, Cond. Mrs. Myrtle Muir, A. Cond. Miss Celestine Lincoln, Chaplain Mrs. Mary McLachlin, Marshal Mrs. Inga Piehl, Warder Mrs. Frances Hockridge, Sentinel Mr. Hans Piehl.

February 5, 1920 Sad Accident A very sad accident occurred last Monday evening, when Wilbur Shepherd, who lived with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. F. C. Shepherd, six miles west of Hunter was accidently killed. He left that morning with a load of grain for Mortimer, and started for home with some lumber for their house. He had almost reached the place when in some way or other, the sled tipped over and in some way Wilbur was caught under the lumber and was killed. When he did not reach home in the early evening his father went to see what detained him, on reaching place where they were building he found the team standing still, long side of the road and his son beneath the lumber. A doctor was called at once but the boy had been dead for some time.
Wilbur was a young man 24 years of age, had lived here with his parents for several years and was very much liked by all who knew him, and his many friends will greatly miss him, was a member of the Presbyterian church where he was a good worker.
A short funeral service was held here on Tuesday afternoon. His father accompanied the remains to Rockford, Ill., where they were laid to rest.
The sympathy of the entire community is extended to the mourners in this their great sorrow.

February 12, 1920

Auction Sale List

Wm. Morrow, March 10.
Albert Larson, March 15.
Newt. Henry, March 2.
W. E. Collins, March 8.
Otto Larson, Feb. 27.
Gus. Zimmerman, Feb. 17.
Aug. E. Sommerfeld, Feb. 24.
Abel Aiken, Feb. 26.
N. E. Haugen, March 12.
Helmer Paulson, Feb. 27.
Harry Alberts, March 9.
T. J. Lockhart, March 11.
Bowerman-Dundas At the Manse on Saturday Dec. 6 Mr. Kenneth Benson Bowerman of Lone Butte and Miss Isabella Hazel Dundas of Hussar, Alt were united in marriage. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. W. W. Aitchison. The best wishes of their many friends will follow Mr. and Mrs. Bowerman through life. - Ex.
Mrs Bowerman used to live here several years ago and her many friends wish her prosperity and happiness.

February 19, 1920


This community was shocked and grieved Monday, February 2nd when the news of the death of Mrs. Elizabeth Davis, spread from home to home though it had been known for days that she was desperately ill, and many hearts have been lifted in prayer to the Master of Life and of Death, that she might be spared.
Elizabeth Hudson Davis was born in Bentick Co., near Hanover, Ont., January 14, 1849. She was married to Thomas Martin Davis of Somerton, Eng. on Jan. 4, 1869. They lived in Chestley, Ont., until 1880 when they moved to Gardner, N. D., where she has resided since. Mr. Davis died about ten years ago.
Mrs. Davis has spent nearly forty years on these Dakota prairies and bore with patient fortitude more than a full share of the hardships of pioneer life on a farm; though never enjoying very rugged health, she has dwelt among us as a true wife and a faithful and most devoted mother, a kindly helpful neighbor, greatly beloved by friends and relatives, for Mrs. Davis was always bright and cheerful, radiating sunshine and help to those around her. She has been a most devoted Christian all her life, having united with the Wesley Methodist church when but a girl, she proved faithful to her God to the very end.
Deceased is survived by nine children: John of Watauga, S. D.; Abner of Gardner, N. D.; Dr. H. M. Davis of Minneapolis; King J. of Gardner, N. D.; Mrs. Arthur Tenborg of Gardner, N. D.; Miss Minnie Elizabeth of Gardner; Albert E. of Morristown, S. D.; William E. of Gardner, N. D.
Besides these are four little grandchildren to whom she was so much attached. Grace, having been her constant comfort and companion during these long winter months, will greatly miss her kind and loving voice.
They all have suffered an irreparable loss and will greatly miss their kind and loving mother who always had a kindly smile, a sympathetic word and a helping hand for all and with a sweet smile, so characteristic of her loving disposition she slipped away to await the coming of her loved ones.
All the stricken ones have the deep sympathy of the community, as Mrs. Davis was one beloved by all who came within the circle of her acquaintance.

Card of Thanks

To the many friends and relatives who so kindly helped during the illness and death of our beloved wife, daughter and sister, DeEtta Colwell McComas, we wish to express our heartfelt thanks. We are very grateful for the many beautiful floral offerings and sympathy given at the funeral.
Mr. J. C. McComas, Mr. and Mrs. F. S. Colwell, Lillian and Estelle Colwell.
February 26, 1920 Word reached here some few days ago that D. H. Houston, who used to live here several years ago, and who is well and favorably known, died at his home in Florida, the first of this month. Mr. Houston was a young man, was born here and spent most of his time here until a few years ago, when he was married and moved to Florida. He heaves to mourn his loss a wife and two children and a devoted mother, to whom this community extends their heartfelt sympathy.

March 11, 1920 Obituary Word has been received here that Mrs. L. C. Barrett had passed away at a hospital in Spokane, Washington after ten weeks of intense suffering from her old enemy, asthma, and when the paroxysms of terrible choking finally ceased she was too exhausted to rally and she lingered two days in a sort of stupor and then quietly slipped away.
Jennie Roberts was born in Wisconsin and her mother dying when she was quite young. She was adopted into the family of William Holt and came with them to Owatonna, Minnesota where much of her young womanhood was spent.
She taught school in various neighborhoods in that vicinity with good success, but when she came to teach in the east Berlin district she met her fate in the person of Mr. Leander Barrett an ambitious young farmer of that neighborhood, acquaintance soon ripened into a warmer feeling. Soon after the term of school closed there was a grand wedding at Owatonna and our young couple became enthusiastic farmers and gardeners, the fields were well tilled and productive and beautiful flowers bloomed about the snug well kept cottage home.
But after the death of dear little Willie their first born the home did not seem the same to either of them and they sold it and invested their means in a store at the four corners where a cheese factory had been built. And she having had some experience in trade while in the Holt family was a great help and they prospered.
But when in 1879 and 1880 the great boom of the Red River Valley country struck Berlin, he was swept along with it and took a homestead where Carl Jorgenson's beautiful farm and home now is. But the lure of commercial pursuits prompted another change and a store was built in the then new town of Hunter and was for years an important factor in the town and surrounding country. Then came a terrific bolt from a clear sky in the tragic death of their son Harry, a promising lad of 19 years, a boy respected and liked by everyone for he had grown from a little lad of 5 or 6 years right here among us, and was a great comfort and help to both his parents.
A fire destroyed their store and with their only remaining child Maud, who was born in North Dakota, they went toward the northwest bringing up in Canada and finally moved up into the state of Washington where for some years they have made their home a Spokane. In the years they were neighbors to us they were kindly and helpful in times of trouble and stress and took part on the right side in the solving of our problems as they came up.
She was a charter member of our Presbyterian church of 17 members and was the only member who had ever been a Presbyterian the balance having been made up of Methodists and Congregationalists. She was always ready to do her part either in singing or in the financial part of the work, indeed that seemed a characteristic quality of hers to do her part and one of her characteristics, to do diligently whatever her hands found to do and to be brave under handicaps that would have broken a weaker woman long ago. Not only the handicaps of pioneer life she endured and her grief for her children but all her life she was subject to those terrible attacks of asthma.
All old neighbors and friends extend sympathy to her bereft husband and daughter.
Mr. Barrett's address is 1823 West 26th Ave., Spokane, Wash.


Henry Ruthruff died at the home of his son Ernest, near Drayton, N. D. February 27th, at 3:30 p. m. at the advanced age of ninety four years.
Mr. Ruthruff was for many years a respected and honored member of this community, coming here in 1880 from Michigan with his wife and daughter and settling on a section of land just half way between Hunter and Gardner, where he planted a tree claim, which is still a living growing monument to his energy and enterprise.
His wife died some years ago in their comfortable, hospitable Fargo home on 13th street and since then he has been a great traveler visiting friends and relatives in California, Kansas, Florida and other states at an age when most people retire to their firesides to be “taken care of” greatly enjoying the trip.
He is survived by one son and his daughter Mae, who lives in Washington, D. C. all the rest of his family have preceded him to the better land.
In the early years of the town the Ruthruff family was a great and helpful factor on both the material and social side. In the first year he built a story and a half building on Broadway, in the lower part of which he had a grocery store the first year and a dwelling place upstairs.
As they went back to Michigan for the winter the store became a school room where Jed Noyes a young man from their old home town taught ten or twelve children when the cold and snow permitted them to come; then it was a drug store and served the public in many capacities until it was destroyed by fire.
A thorough Christian he was our first superintendent of Sunday school that met in the depot the summer of 1881. They were greatly missed when they moved to Fargo; but we Hunterites always kept in touch with them and were always welcomed to their home there, so cozy in its lovely flower garden.
A number of seasons his daughter taught in the Mayville schools and on his trips to visit her he always stopped a few days to visit Hunter friends, and he was always a welcome guest in every home.
He and his wife were charter members of our Presbyterian church and he was the ruling elder as long as he lived here. He was always interested in everything that looked toward the uplift of humanity, was ever a firm consistent advocate of the temperance reform and we are glad that he lived to see national prohibition. His life seems like a summer day with its long calm twilight following strenuous labor and stress, and it is fitting that he rests beside the wife of his youth.

March 18, 1920 Frank Buck, one of the old settlers here, passed away on Sunday evening at his home west of Hunter. He had been ill for a long time. He had many friends who will miss him and he was very well liked by all who knew him. The funeral was held on Wednesday afternoon and the remains laid to rest in the Hunter cemetery. The sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved.

Dawson Massey Nuptials

At the beautiful farm home of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Massey last Friday March 12 was solemnized the marriage of their only daughter Grace Leota and Ray C. Dawson of Walcott, Indiana. Promptly at one o'clock Miss Edna Zavitz of Hunter accompanied by Estelle Colwell sang De Hardelot's “Because.” Then to the strains of the Lohengrin Wedding March the bridal couple descended the stairs and took their places beneath an arch the center of which was marked by a large white bell and held in place by tulle ribbon strung with smaller white bells and interwoven with ferns and sweet peas.
The bride was very daintily gowned in a white georgette over white taffeta with trimmings of white braided satin. Pink buds and narrow white satin ribbon made an effective fastening for her bridal veil. She carried a shower bouquet of roses which were held together by tulle ribbon.
The bride was attended by Miss Besse Weise, as bridesmaid, Miss Weise being prettily gowned in pink organdy. She carried roses.
Lee Massey, brother of the bride, acted as best man while little Miss Josephine Hildreth all in white bore the ring in a pink rose. Rev. J. A. Hamilton of the Presbyterian church of Hunter was officiating Clergyman.
Miss Colwell played the Mendelssohn Wedding March during Congratulation.
Following the ceremony which took place in the presence of about forty five friends a three-course wedding dinner was served at which seven friends of the bride, Misses Marjory Simmons, Edna Zavitz, Joyce and Gladys Knudtson, Lillian Colwell, Hazel Stewart and Marie Severson assisted Mrs. Chas. Radebaugh in serving. Yellow and white was used in the decorating of the dining room.
The young people who were principals in this wedding have many friends in Hunter and vicinity, where the bride has made her home for several years coming from Indiana with her parents, attending Hunter High School until the second semester of this school year and where Mr. Dawson has visited on several occasions. The marriage is a culmination of friendship from childhood.
Mr. and Mrs. Dawson left Grandin Friday evening for a short trip before leaving for Walcott, Indiana, where they will make their home.
Several pre-nuptial parties were given in honor of the bride Miss Joyce Knudtson of Hunter, Miss Henrietta Roseman of Grandin entertaining.

March 25, 1920


The fact that the early settlers are fast disappearing from our view was strongly emphasized when it became known that Mr. Frank Buck had “gone the way of all flesh” at his home two miles west of Hunter.
Mr. Buck went to his reward on Sunday March 11th at 7 o'clock P. M. after an illness of more than a year which finally culminated in dropsy and though he had had spells of severe suffering he went during his sleep at last: his breath growing shorter and shorter until the last. He was a member of the Anglican church, a consistent Christian, a good citizen, and a kind affectionate husband and father and many will miss him.
Mr. Frank Buck was born at Mecklenburg, Germany, on March 31, 1848 and lived there until he was twenty-four years of age, when he married Miss Lena Hulderbush. Without delay the young couple turned their faces toward the new world and arrived at Detroit, Michigan, the same year where they made their home until 1880 when they came to Jamestown, North Dakota, and in 1882 they took a homestead near Erie, North Dakota.
Becoming discouraged during the dry years, between 1885 and '90, he moved to Hunter where he has since lived.
His wife died in October 1891 of typhoid fever after bringing him ten children. In 1892 he married Mrs. Emilie Pansier of Owatonna, Minnesota, a widow lady with two children. They had a pleasant, comfortable home life altogether in spite of the old saying about three kinds of children in one family.
To this union were born two children, Edith and Emil, who have been their comfort and main dependence in their declining years and will stand by their mother and the farm in the future as they have in the past, two as promising and as much respected young people as we have in our community.
A short funeral service was held at the home on Thursday at two o'clock in the afternoon, March 18th, conducted by Rev. Hamilton, pastor of the Presbyterian church of Hunter and at two thirty a service in that church. The church was well filled in spite of almost impassable roads and the comforting and appropriate sermon had for its text the 14th and 15th verses from John 14th chapter. “If a man die shall he live again? Thou shall call and I will answer thee: Thou wilt have a desire to the work of thine hands.” The church choir sang “Nearer My God to Thee,” “Home” and “The Peace of God.” The flowers were beautiful and the loving gift of near friends and relatives.
Interment was in the family lot in our beautiful cemetery.
Among the relatives and friends who attended the funeral some of them from a distance were his venerable brother John, of Fargo, Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Wolf of Blooming Prairie, Minn. (his daughter Minnie), Mr. and Mrs. John Buck, of Hunter, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Buck of Erie, North Dakota, Mr. Fred Buck and daughter of Fargo, Mr. Ed Wolf of Owatonna, Minnesota, and a brother of Mrs. Buck and Mr. and Mrs. Herman Buck of Hunter.

April 1, 1930


"In the midst of life there is death" truer words than these cannot be found in Holy Writ. And they came instantly to mind when word came from his far away home in Florida that David Houston had died there of pneumonia following Flu.
It did not seem possible, he seemed so strong and well when he was here on a visit with his wife and little son some years ago and our most received report of him was that he was in active prosperous business in the real estate line, in Miami, Florida, where both he and his mother had settled permanently; so the news of his death came as a sad surprise. But so it has always been and is the unexpected blow that falls heaviest and heavy and crushing it must have been to the two women-his mother and his wife-and the two little ones who are asking in childish wonderment “Why don't daddy come.” And what power to wring the heart such questions have! "Davie Houston" as he was affectionately called by his friends-and that was pretty near everybody for all who knew him or of him always had a kind thought and word for him-was born in the fine farm home two miles south of town in July 1888 and no child was ever more heartily welcomed.
His father David Henderson Houston was born in Glasgow, Scotland and “grew up” in Wisconsin. One of the early settlers in the township of Hunter. And besides being a bonanza farmer of the successful type he was also an inventor of national repute. And his --- was Mrs. Annie ---, a professional musician who was the daughter of Professor P---, for thirty years a leader in musical circles in Minnesota. He did not get the full benefit of the schools even those of his native town, for when he came to school age his parents had become such inveterate travelers that his school days were a good deal broken up by the trips to distant sections of this country and in 1900 they went to the Paris Exposition and spent several months in European travel.
He sometimes had a private tutor at the home and extensive travel is the great educator and he came to be a great and almost omnivorous reader and was courteous and gentlemanly in his manner and always a great favorite among the young people of his neighborhood. Baseball was his speciality in athletics and his old chums are never weary of telling of his prowess in that sport, his unfailing good nature, his skill and kindly generosity.
When he was a little lad on his pony or his bicycle moving along over the prairie roads he knew so well he was a goodly sight to see and when he came to be an expert automobilist he drove the best machines, and was as generous with them as he had been with his pony and bicycle and many a thrilling story is told of his courage and skill in emergencies. Fond of good music and good literature, with ample means with which to cultivate and enjoy these gifts, why could he not have lived to be a factor in helping the progress and development of his less fortunate fellows, as his father and grandfather were. But a day is coming when such tragedies will not occur.
His earthly remains arrived here on the 26th and services were held at the cemetery on the 27th. Men who had been playmates and friends laid him tenderly beside his father, and Rev. Hamilton, Pastor of the Presbyterian church of Hunter conducted a fine and appropriate service in the presence of a goodly gathering of old friends and neighbors. The Presbyterian church choir sang by request “Nearer my God to Thee” and “Abide with me,” favorite hymns of his mother's And then "But dust thou art to dust returned was not spoken of the soul." The Pastor's comforting words had for text the twentieth verse of the fifteenth chapter of First Corinthians, and how much all wished that the two women so near and dear to him might have been there to hear them. And what can we say to those dear women sitting in their darkened homes. We will pray that they may emulate Ruth and Naoma of the bible story and so comfort each other and may strength be given them to rear and care for the little ones left to comfort and help them, that they may grow up worthy of those whose names they hear.

April 22, 1920

Hunter's First Airplane

Last Friday afternoon about four o'clock Lieut. Earl Fladeland and Lieut. Vernon Roberts of Fargo arrived in Hunter via airplane. They were driving one of their Liberty Fliers, and gave quite an exhibition of flying here. They also took up passengers at $15 a trip, and the following persons took a ride: Clarence Fiske, Verner Miller, Frank Collins and Miss Beatrice Moen. The rest of us were either superstitious or else we had other reasons for not taking the trip that day.

May 20, 1920 Mr. and Mrs. Emil Hanson went to Fargo on Tuesday of this week to see their son Will who was injured on Friday of last week, when a horse kicked him in the stomach. Word reached here on Tuesday evening that he died that evening. More particulars next week. The sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved in this their hour of sorrow. The funeral will be held from the Presbyterian church in Hunter on this Thursday afternoon.

May 27, 1920 Obituary Another terrible accident has resulted in the untimely death of one more of Hunter's young men. In the very prime of life, when William, oldest son of Emil and Christine Hansen died in a Fargo hospital May 18th from a kick by a horse the evening of May 17th. He was taken at once to Fargo and everything that surgical skill and tender care could do was tried in the hope of saving him, but all in vain. He leaves to bear this irreparable loss a loving father and mother and two brothers, besides a broken hearted little wife, who was Esther Hansen, a daughter of Martin Hansen, for many years a member of our community but now of Montana. Her only brother, Floyd Hansen came from his Montana home to help and comfort his poor little sister, as he used to do when they were such good chums in the old happy days of childhood before their mother's early death broke up their home. William Hansen was born in Hunter May 24th 1895 and has lived all his life here and the tearful faces of his friends crowding the little church on the corner bore silent witness of their love for him and the truth of the saying among them that Will was always a good boy. The funeral was one of the largest ever witnessed in the town, the church was crowded to its utmost capacity and a crowd filled the vestibule and extended far out on the sidewalk. The local lodge of the I. O. O. F. attended in a body wearing their regalia.
The flowers were simply magnificent, filling the atmosphere with fragrance, and testifying to the affectionate regard of many friends.
Rev. Hamilton conducted the service giving a very eloquent and comforting address. Members of both the Presbyterian and Methodist Episcopal choirs sang the grand and beautiful old hymns that have been the blessing and comfort of many generations, and the long procession wended its way up to our “Silent City on the Hill.” The usual short service at the grave side and his brother Odd Fellows dropped a sprig of evergreen into the open grave and soon our friend and brother was left to his last long sleep. All of the bereaved ones have the deep sympathy of the whole community.

June 10, 1920 Worst Storm in the History of Hunter Two Dead, Many Injured Many Barns and Other Buildings Wrecked Damage Will Exceed $500,000 At 5:10 Tuesday afternoon, Hunter was visited by one of the most serious wind and rain storms in its history. Black clouds had been threatening the west since noon and the sultry heat gave indications that a storm was brewing.
At a few minutes past five with an ominous roar the storm swept upon us. There was a steady blow for forty-five minutes with rain coming in sheets. Fortunately the wind did not quite reach a cyclone velocity in this locality but the long continued blow caused considerable damage to buildings in town and wrecked many of the best shade trees. A number of garages and sheds were entirely demolished and roofs more or less damaged. The older trees were many of them torn to pieces and in some cases trunks were broken off a few feet from the ground. In the yard of the Nels Johnson residence one large tree was uprooted. Electric light wires were broken and the telephone service was soon put out of commission. It will be several days before the service is adequately restored.
The stores on the main street facing the strong wind suffered much through broken windows. The Hunter Cooperative had the front of its building demolished at the top, its front window broken and some goods were damaged by water. At the Equity store one window light was blown out and there were also some goods damaged. The Pool Hall suffered the most, three windows being broken and the front part of the room well soaked. The front of the Thompson blacksmith shop was hurled well out into the road and the driveway of the C. R. Hansen feed mill was demolished. The outside stairway of the Simmons building was blown off. All the local elevators suffered some but fortunately no serious damage was done.
All communication with the surrounding country was cut off but as reports began to come it from our farmers it was realized that they had suffered by far the greater loss. The greatest damage was reported from the farms south of town. Many barns that were new and considered well built were entirely destroyed. On almost every farm some buildings were wrecked and there was quite a loss in farm machinery. There were many narrow escapes but we are glad to report that there were no persons injured in this immediate vicinity, and very little loss of livestock. Dallas Collins lost a horse and had a colt injured and it is said that Hans Martinson had one of his cows injured.
As so far reported the barns on the following farms are a total wreck, the Fred Peterson farm, Harry Fleischer, Beckman, Harry Critchfield, Dr. Baillie, Harry Brewer, Frank Brewer, Nels Hanson, R. H. Vosburg, Ole Lydahl, R. A. Miller, Stoel Collins, Hans Martinsen, Knight, Bly, C. F. Bayard and both barns of K. Dickson but owing to not being able to get telephone connections, we are unable to state how many other building were destroyed.
There are a number of farm buildings that were partially wrecked and others which had small buildings blown away.
Reports coming in from other towns show that the storm spread over a wide territory, and that there was some loss of life and great loss of property. William Roeder, a farmer near Gardner, was killed when his house was destroyed. One person was killed and two injured at Fergus Falls.

July 8, 1920 Pioneer Farmer Dies at Home Yesterday Swan Classon, resident of the Gardner district for more than 40 years, died yesterday morning at the farm home, after a short illness. He was 58 years of age. He is survived by his widow and six children. Funeral services will be held from the farm home tomorrow at 1 p. m. Services will be held an hour later from the Herby church and burial in the Herby cemetery.
The above item was taken from the Fargo Courier News of July 1st. We hope to be able to publish an obituary next week.

July 22, 1920 Obituary Another of our first citizens, a good honest upright fair-dealing friend and neighbor among men, and a kind and loving husband and father has slipped over the borderline of this life and from our sight. But the gratitude in the hearts of his friends and neighbors and the undying love and affection of his beloved family remain with us, and the beauty of the home he has developed on the bare and windswept prairie to shelter his loved ones, and best of all the inspiration of the life and example of such a man as Swan Classon is a monument and a heritage that cannot be lost.
Born in Sweden April 29th in 1862, Mr. Classon was barely twenty years old when he came to this country and lived for five years near Harwood, North Dakota, then started farming near Gardner where he has since lived. Realizing at last that it is not good for a man to be alone, he married Miss Jennie Anderson in 1895, but their happy romance only lasted three brief years when the wife obeyed the messenger that cannot be denied and passed on to the life beyond leaving two little girls, the youngest only a few days old.
A niece, Miss Ida Anderson, then came and wisely and efficiently managed his household and with rare self devotion mothered his children until 1908 when he married Marie Swanson, who survives him and to this union has come four children the youngest being little Florence, five years old, while Grace, Rudolph and Evelyn are older. A neighbor who knew them well remarked that it is seldom that one man succeeds in winning two such good wives for the young step mother was a wise and loving mother to the little Myrtle and Pearl and all the family relations were happy. He was a leading man in his church and community and was a member of the town and school board at the time of his death and his standing in these relations was shown in the faces of his neighbors when the one mile and a half long procession escorted him on his last visit to his well loved church. He bore with Christian fortitude the terrible suffering of his last illness and surely his loved ones on the other shore were glad and proud to greet him.

August 12, 1920 Former Resident Died The following was taken from a paper at Spokane, Wash., where he was making his home. He used to be a resident of Hunter some years ago, being in business here. He was killed August 3, 1920.
The funeral for Leander C. Barrett, who was run over and killed by a Northern Pacific train, will be held tomorrow morning at 11 o'clock at the Smith & Co. parlors. Rev. L. Williams of the Manito Presbyterian church will officiate. The body will be cremated and set to Hunter, N. D. Tomorrow. He is survived by I. S. Barrett, National City, Cal. a brother and a daughter, Mrs. F. W. Jones, Olympia, Wash.
Quietly Married Leo Couglin, who used to work for Harry Suman some time ago, and Miss Myrtle Sanderson, sister of A. M. Sanderson, were quietly married in Fargo on July 28th. They have for the past two weeks been on a honeymoon in different parts of the state and also in some places in Minnesota, where they were visiting with relatives. Congratulations to the happy couple.
Postmaster Weds Our local postmaster, W. P. Osborne went to Fargo last week on Thursday and there he was united in marriage to Miss Louise Sorenson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Sorenson of this place, both are well and favorably known here and their friends wish them much joy and happiness. They returned here on Saturday and are now living in their home.
A Pretty Wedding St. Thomas Catholic Church of Grandin was the scene of a pretty wedding at nine o'clock, Thursday morning August fifth, when Louise Gretter, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Gretter became the bride of George Sale, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. F. G. Sale, of Grandin. Rev. Father Harrington of Grandin read the marriage ceremony which was followed by a nuptial High Mass played by Miss Tessie McCoy of Fargo.
The bride wore a dress of white organdie trimmed in lace and wore a veil held in place by a rope of pearls. She carried a shower bouquet of bridal roses. The groom wore a suit of blue serge. Clara Gretter, a sister of the bride, was bridesmaid and wore a dress of green organdie and a white Georgette hat. Fred Sale, a brother of the groom was best man. Little Rita, a sister of the bride carried the ring in a heart of a rose and Little Pearl, a sister of the groom was flower girl and carried a basket of pink and white sweet peas. They wore dresses of white net and white bonnets.
A three course wedding breakfast was served at the home of the bride's parents. The only guests present were the immediate relatives of the bride and groom, Rev. Father Harrington and Miss Diomah Yunker of Fargo, a friend of the bride. The bride and groom are well known in this vicinity. The bride having been a successful teacher in Cass Co. schools for the past six years and the groom a prosperous farmer, and have hosts of friends who wish them success in life. They will reside on a farm near Grandin.

August 19, 1920 Obituary Leander C. Barrett, who was killed at Spokane, Washington, where he was making his home, August 3rd, 1920, by being run over by a Northern Pacific train.
Mr. Barrett was a native of Pennsylvania but came with his parents to live in Berlin, Minnesota; when a young man he married there and was a good hard working citizen one foremost in good work, law-abiding and ambitious, until he came to be a citizen of Hunter; his life and achievements are well known here and were clearly outlined in the obituary of his wife who died in Spokane early last spring and whose ashes were brought to lie beside their son's in our cemetery where his were placed Sunday afternoon by a company of sympathetic friends and neighbors attended by the pastors of both the Presbyterian and Methodist churches. Rev. Hamilton read the 21st chapter of Revelations and Rev. Driver made a comforting prayer and the choir of the Presbyterian church sang “Nearer My God To Thee” while every heart felt a sympathetic throb remembering the daughter so far away; for Maude Barrett Jones grew up here among us and was always a great favorite with everyone. Her present address is Mrs. M. H. Jones, 1502 Jefferson St., Olympia, Washington. Mr. Barrett is also survived by a brother I. S. Barrett of National City, California.
Some lovely flowers were brought by old neighbors and friends and then we left him to sleep on our consecrated hillside among those with whom he had walked and wrought in the days of his health and vigorous manhood.

September 9, 1920

Happily Wedded

A quiet wedding took place at ten thirty Friday morning of last week at the home of Mr. and Mrs. H. H. Carr when in the presence of the immediate families and a few intimate friends, Miss Cornelia was married to Emil Moen.
Beatrice Carr sang “I Love You Truly” accompanied by Miss Fern Wilkins who also played Mendelssohn's “Wedding March.” Rev. Kildahl read the marriage service after which Beatrice sang “At Dawning.” The house was prettily decorated with autumn leaves and berries.
The bride wore a simple gown of white organdie and was unattended.
After extending congratulations and best wishes to the bride and groom, the party adjourned to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Emil Borre where a delightful dinner was served.
Out of town guests included the Misses Gace Dunnell, Velma Webster, Fern Wilkins and Jean Thompkins and Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Boyce. The girls are all “Sorority Sisters” of the bride.
After a short delay due to a stolen automobile the happy couple left for Minneapolis, where they will spend part of their honeymoon.
Mr. and Mrs. Moen will be at home to their many friends after October 15th.
The community takes this opportunity to wish them much joy and happiness throughout their wedded life.

September 23, 1920 S. Calkins who lived near Blanchard met with an accident last week which caused his death. He was on the separator and in some way or other fell, landing on an oil can which perforated his intestines. He was rushed to a hospital in Fargo, but on Friday morning of last week died. The funeral was held on Sunday in Fargo and the remains laid to rest in the Riverside cemetery there. The following from Hunter attended the funeral: L. C. Collins, H. H. Carr, I. Moen, Emil Johnson, Merland Carr, Jon Arneston and wife, J. C. Knudtson and several others whose names we were unable to learn. The sympathy of the community is extended to the wife and son, who are left to mourn his loss.

October 14, 1920


Helen Viola Johnson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ed. W. Johnson, of Blanchard, N. D. passed away after a short illness at the age of ten years and six months. Little Helen was a bright and happy little girl-both in school and her home. She was the joy and pride of her parents and her sudden death was a shock to her folks as well as her many friends. Besides her parents she leaves to mourn her loss six brothers and one sister who loved her dearly, and a host of relatives and friends. Rev. J. A. Hamilton read the burial services at the house on Thursday of last week at 2 o'clock, P. M. Little Helen was laid to rest beside her brother and little niece at the Hunter cemetery.
We have lost our darling Helen She has bid us all adieu, She has gone to live in Heaven, And her form is lost to view.
Oh, that dear one, how we loved her! Oh, how hard to give her up! But an Angel came down for her And removed her from our flock.
Mrs. S. B. Carter, Mrs. Geo. McDonald, Mrs. A. Sterling, Mrs. C. Ranstal, and Mrs. Smith all of Gardner, N, D., Mrs. Ole Star, Mr. B. Thompson of Evansville, Minn., O. C. Stroud, Chinook, Mont. all attended the funeral of Helen Johnson.

November 4, 1920

Fatal Auto Accident

Last Sunday afternoon an auto accident occurred seriously injuring one boy and killing another. The Needham boys from Vance and their cousin Russell Nixon of Fargo ran into a calf on the Olie Pearson farm while speeding. The car was wrecked turning over several times. One of the Needham boys had his leg broken. The Nixon boy got up and walked to a farmhouse for help, apparently unhurt, but died in a few minutes after reaching there. He was about fifteen years old and his family formerly lived at Amenia.

November 11, 1920

Happily Married

On Wednesday of this week in Fargo at about ten o'clock in the forenoon occurred the marriage of V. John Garrett, Grandin this state to Miss Estelle Colwell of Hunter. Both parties are well and favorable known and have a host of friends who wish them a long and happy wedded life. They expect to leave in the very near future for Lucky Lake, Sask., Can., where they will make their home in the future.

December 16, 1920

Passed Away

On Thursday morning of last week the news was passed around that George Beguin, who had been ill for a short time had died, it was a shock to all as he was well liked by everyone who knew him. Thus over a happy home the Shadow of a grave has fallen, and it is said it is wonderful how large a shadow a grave can throw.
Himself and wife came to make Hunter their home some eleven years ago, living on their farm a few miles southwest of here, he was a member of the local lodge of Odd Fellows and also of the Rebekahs. He was a man of a little past 50 years in life, and wherever he went he made friends.
The funeral services were conducted from the M. E. Church, with Rev. W. H. Driver officiating, and the remains were then taken to Casselton and from there shipped to his former home, Ottawa, Ill. Where they were laid to rest in their beautiful cemetery, they were accompanied by the bereaved wife and Ms. F. H. Goss.
He leaves to mourn, a loving wife; a mother and several other relatives besides a host of friends.
The sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved in this their hour of sorrow.

2012 Copyrighted and Contributed by Steven Pueppke

Newspaper Extractions Index
Back to the Cass County, NDGenWeb