Hunter News 1923 Hunter Herald

January 4, 1923

New Years Day Fire

Monday evening at 5:15 the fire alarm was sounded by I. Moen who discovered that the Dan Drayton house was on fire where M. H. Rutten was living. The cause of the fire is supposed to be from the furnace. It got too much of a headway when the fire department got there to be stopped by them. The house as valued at $3500 and it is claimed insurance covered $1500 of the value. M. H. Rutten lost all his furniture valued at $1500 and insured for $1000. Mrs. Rutten being in Devils Lake at the time of the fire. The Almond Sayer house was saved by the efforts of a number of the fire fighters. All the Collins furniture was saved to the very last it. It is believed that over $4000 worth of property was destroyed. Charlie Lowman and Alex More volunteered to watch the fire overnight. Several buildings caught fire by flying shingles but did not do any damage.
What Hunter needs more than any other thing right now is more and better fire protection. The small chemical machines that we have now are not able to compete against a fire of any size. What we need is a chemical engine that will hold about 200 gallons, besides the smaller chemicals. At the present time the firemen have not enough materials to fight a fire with. Think it over. Hunter needs more and better fire protection. Why not a Motorized Fire Truck?

Paul Pritchard Wed in Grafton

Word was received here last Thursday of the marriage of Paul W. Pritchard of Grand Forks to Miss Ruth G. Hay, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Hay of Williston, which occurred in Grafton at 11 o'clock Wednesday morning.
The ceremony was a quiet one, and was solemnized in the home of the bride's sister, Mrs. F. D. Hathaway. Rev. A. E. Hooke of the Methodist church officiating. Only a few immediate relatives of the bride were guests. A wedding dinner followed the service and that evening, Mr. and Mrs. Pritchard went to Grand Forks.
Both young people are former students at the university at Grand Forks and are well known locally. Mrs. Pritchard has taught school in Hunter, N. D. for the past year and one half, and Mr. Pritchard is at present athletic coach of the Grand Forks High School.

January 18, 1923

Cottonwood Trees Disappearing in Various Yards
The following citizens have cut down their cottonwood trees for various reasons in the past week and more are expected to cut theirs down. They are J. H. Nesbitt, James Rasmussen, Martin Rasmussen, and Mr. Freeman.

February 1, 1923

Cattle Dies From Unknown Cause
Several head of cattle died in the last few weeks for Mr. Siegert and Mr. Farnham. It is believed that sweet clover is the cause of it. A veterinarian from the A. C. was here and examined them with Dr. Oakes. They had L. P. Harmon bale several bales of the sweet clover and ship in to the A. C. for inspection and experiment.

February 8, 1923

C. S. Collins Hurt
While inspecting his battery Monday morning Mr. Collins lit a match and got too close causing one of the cells to explode, throwing the acid into his eyes. He also received a cut between his thumb and forefinger. It cut one of the arteries and the thumb cord slightly. He is able to see through one eye now and is up and around. The other he has not been able to see from yet. He is in great pain and it is not known just how long before he will have the use of his other eye. It is hoped that he will entirely recover in a short time.

On Wednesday evening, January the 31st, at 8 o'clock P. M. there took place at the home of Mr. and Mrs. S. A. Davis near Rose Valley a marriage ceremony. Miss Leona Marie, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Davis, was married to Mr. Elmer Senne. They were attended by Miss Lucinda Poppe as bridesmaid and Mr. Lawrence Davis was the best man. Little Alice Davis sister of Leona Marie, was the ring bearer. Elder Thomas Leitch of Fargo officiated at the ceremony.
Later a wedding supper was given for only relatives of the married couple. The bride wore a dress of white canton crepe trimmed in Georgette crepe with a wide silk lace Bertha collar.
The young folks are well known and liked by all. The people of the community and all who know wish them a long, happy and a prosperous married life.

February 15, 1923

W. A. Kelly Dies at Jardine
William A. Kelly of Jardine, Mont. passed away last Thursday evening at his home. Death was due directly to pneumonia. The funeral was held Saturday afternoon, the Rev. S. R. McCarthy of Livingston officiating.
Mr. Kelly was the husband of Jessie Rogers, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Rogers of Hunter.
The sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved ones.

February 22, 1923

Baby Girl Passes Away
The little baby girl, Ellen Marie, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Carleson of Blanchard was laid to rest at the local cemetery Monday at 2 P. M. The child was born the 11th of January and passed away the 14th of February, living a little over a month. The funeral services were held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Wetzell. Misses Etta Harmon and Shirley Nesbitt sang a duet. Rev. Driver officiated at the services. The people of Hunter wish to express their sympathies to the bereaved.

Passes Away
The mother of Mrs. Harry Gale, Mrs. John Miller Jr. of Mechanicville, New York passed away Saturday February the 17th. Word reached here Saturday of the sad occurrence. The friends of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Gale wish to express their sympathies for the afflicted.

Snow Plow Goes Thru
The snow plow made its appearance here Friday afternoon about 1:30 P. M. Several of the local men went with the snow plow to Portland Junction where they turned around and came back. The boys that went along were John Wing as foreman, Jacob and Albert Winnistorfer; James, Axel, and Henry Rasmussen, Lester Richardson; Harry Hogenson; Albert Rasmussen and Peter Larson and James McAuley. The passenger was here on Saturday noon for the first time since Monday evening. About 40 sacks of mail were left for this city.

March 1, 1923

Faints Away
R. A. Sayer fainted away Wednesday afternoon of last week at the barber shop. He was getting into the barber chair and he felt faint so he took another chair and asked Mr. Peterson to watch him. He fainted then and a glass of water was at hand and its contents was used to bathe his forehead. Mr. Peterson then laid him in the window and he gained consciousness before Dr. Baillie arrived. He said that he had fainted before in a barber shop. Almon was at hand and went home with him. He is alright now and feels the same as always.

Passes Away
Sunday the 18th of February, Mrs. Matt Brandon of Tioga passed away. She was 46 years and 4 days old at the time of her death. She died at a hospital in Williston. The cause of her death is not known here. Mrs. Brandon lived in Hunter a few years ago. Mr. Brandon was once our city marshall. Several children are left. All the people of Hunter are sorry to hear of her death and wish to express their sympathies to the bereaved.

March 15, 1923

L. W. Nesbitt Passes Away

L. W. Nesbitt took sick Sunday and passed away Monday with pneumonia. He had no pain nor did he cough from the effects of a cold. He left several children; J. H. Nesbitt one of his boys lives in Hunter. Mr. Nesbitt came to Hunter 17 years ago from Grand Rapids, Michigan. He has lived in Hunter ever since. At the time of his death he was 90 years old. The funeral services will be held today. He was laid to rest in the local cemetery. Mr. Nesbitt was well liked by all who knew him and the sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved.

March 29, 1923

Moved to Mayville

The local jeweler, Earl Robinson, has moved to Mayville where he will locate. He has changed his field of work for a bigger field where he will have more work to do. He left Hunter last Friday and is located there and doing fine.
The people of Hunter wish him good luck.

April 12, 1923

Family Walks from Argusville to Hunter

One of the most unusual incidents happened here Thursday evening when Mr. and Mrs. Martin Skaug and sons Paul, 18; John, 14; and daughters Josephine 13; and ---- 11 walked into Pete's place in this city at 7:45 P. M. from six miles east of Argusville. They left there at 7:30 a. m. and were on the road all day. They had hardly any clothes and their shoes were in tatters. The reason for coming through Hunter was that they were on their way to Michigan City where their daughter Mrs. William Swenson resides. They had been working for Cass County and had the misfortune of not receiving their pay through some misunderstanding. They left here Monday morning for Michigan City. The town of Hunter paying their way there.
The Albert Wallner Post No. 44 of the American Legion gave them rooms and furnished them coal to heat the rooms while in the city. H. F. Peterson, proprietor of Pete's place, served them meals while they were in Hunter. Many of the citizens gave them clothing and they left here with light hearts after arriving here most fatigued. John, one of their sons, is a cripple and the walking was very hard for him.
Notice to Contractors
Sealed proposals will be received by C. M. Sorenson, Clerk for and in behalf of the Board of Education of the Village of Hunter, County of Cass, State of North Dakota, at his office in said Village of Hunter County of Cass State of North Dakota, up to the hour of 10:30 o'clock A. M. on the 27th, day of April 1923, for the erection of a two story and basement brick and tile school building to be built in the Village of Hunter, County Cass, State of North Dakota, in accordance with the plans and specifications prepared by JOSEPH E. ROSATTI, Architect, Fargo, North Dakota.

The Graduates
There will be twenty graduates from the Hunter High School this year. This is the largest class that has ever graduated from this school since it has become a first class high school. The class consists of thirteen girls and seven boys. The following are the graduates: Misses Faye Fiske, President; Laura and Florence Peterson; Margaret Carr; Ella Rasmussen; Helen Larsen; Marie Severson; Dorothea Siegert; Gladys Burmeister; Gladys Skue; Abbie Kennedy; Evangeline Hanrahan; Olga Korup; and, Leo Rasmussen; John Dickson; Herbert Johnson; Harry Hogenson; Paul Teter; Emmery Johnson and Elmer Sales.

April 19, 1923

Fire Boys Called
The town of Hunter was aroused last Wednesday afternoon, April 11, by the sounding of the fire gong at about five o'clock. The bar that was located behind the residence of Frank McClane was on fire and as there was quite a wind blowing the adjoining caught fire quite a few times but the local fire department was able to save them. The barn was burned to the ground including the contents of four hundred feet of lumber and the body of a Ford runabout. This is the third fire this year at this city. The cause is unknown.

Dr. Baillie Leaves
Dr. W. F. Baillie, who located here in May, 1904, and has practiced medicine here for the past 19 years, leaves us this week. He intends to go from here and enter the New York Post-Graduate Hospital, N. Y. City, where he will specialize in urology and skin, a course of about six months. When he has finished he will enter the St. Luke's Hospital in Fargo, where he will practice. His family will live here until he returns and then they will join him in Fargo. Dr. Baillie has made a host of friends while in this community and all wish him success and prosperity. We are all sorry to see him and his family leave, but what is our loss is Fargo's gain.
Dr. E. H. Richter, who is succeeding to the practice of Dr. W. F. Baillie, comes to the community with good College and Hospital records beside the flattering references from his former field.
Dr. Richter was raised on a farm in S. D. and after finishing his high school course, took his preparatory work in Huron College. Following this the Regular Medical Course at the University of Minnesota graduating in Class of 1921 followed by training in the University Hospital, Phallen Park Hospital, and the Glen Lake Tuberculosis Sanitarium. In training Dr. Richter gave special attention to diseases of children and obstetrics. He spent about a year in general practice at Sauk Center, Minn. which place he left to take over the practice of Dr. Baillie.
We bespeak for him a large measure of success in this his chosen field and feel that with his practice he will prove an asset to the community.

Passes Away

James Tate, an old resident of this vicinity who lived out of town a few miles, passed away very suddenly at a hospital in Fargo Monday evening at ten thirty P. M. His folks were notified about an hour later by telephone. Mr. Tate accidentally got something in his eye, let it go for a few days thinking it would soon get well but an infection started and he consulted a doctor here who sent him to an eye specialist in Fargo to be operated on. Latest reports say he died of pneumonia.
Mr. Tate was over 66 years old and came to this city about thirty eight years ago from Maine. Here he worked at the Weible Farm north of here. About thirty years ago he was married to Miss Mary Smith of here a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Tom Smith. Mr. Smith resides at Galesburg now, her mother having died some years ago.
Mr. Tate leaves to mourn his loss his wife and ten children, eight boys and two girls. The funeral services were held at the Methodist church on Wednesday afternoon at two thirty with Rev. Driver officiating.
The people of this community wish to extend their sincere sympathy to the bereaved.

April 26, 1923

Passes Away

Mrs. Jens Olson who was visiting at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Hans P. Piehl of Hunter, passed away on Saturday April 21 of bronchial pneumonia. She was seventy seven years of age and was born in Norway on March 27, 1846. She is survived by her husband who lives at Becker, Minn. and who is ill at this time and unable to attend the funeral; and two daughters, Mrs. E. H. Wesnage of Minneapolis, Minn. and Mrs. Hans P. Piehl of Hunter. The funeral services were held at the home of her daughter here on Monday afternoon with Rev. J. A. Hamilton of Crystal this state officiating. She was laid to rest in the local cemetery.

Auto Accident
What might have been a serious accident happened on Front Street here in front of the Undertaking Parlors at 11 o'clock Saturday evening. D. O. Newton started his Ford in low with his lights off and when he shifted to high and went to turn the lights on they were out of order and at that minute he hit the Nash car of Otto Ottesen which was parked by the curb. The windshield of the Newton car and the running board of the Ottesen car were both smashed but otherwise the cars were uninjured. Arthur Hansen who was riding in the Newton car had a pretty bad cut over his left eye but Dr. E. H. Richter was called and took two stitches in the cut.

Silver Wedding Celebrated
Mr. and Mrs. Hans Martinson celebrated their Silver Wedding at their farm home south east of town on Sunday April 22. The following friends helped them celebrate: Mr. and Mrs. Nels Johnson, I. Moen, J. G. Knudtson, Mr. and Mrs. Anton Johnson and family, Alfred Johnson of Coronation, Canada, Albert Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. Carl Jorgenson, Mr. and Mrs. John Frederickson, Mr. and Mrs. Neils Larsen and Mrs. Ben Wedberg. Refreshments were served and a general good time was had by all present.

May 3, 1923

Erie vs. Hunter, Baseball
The High School opened the baseball season this year when Erie High school baseball team came over and played the Hunter team on Tuesday afternoon and were defeated by the score of 6 to 1, all scores being made the first inning. Herb Johnson pitched a good game for Hunter with Herb Hogenson catching, and M. Nelson as pitcher and G. Hill as catcher for Erie did some good work striking out some of the home boys. F. O. Eberhardt umpired the game.

Bids Let for New School Building

The local school board opened the sealed bids for the new school building on Saturday forenoon and the following bids were accepted: General Contract - Redlinger & Hansen, Wahpeton, N. D. for $38,300.00.
Plumbing and Heating, Mr. Barr, Mayville, N. D. for $9,486.00.
Electrical, Fargo Plumbing and Heating Co., Fargo, N. D. for $934.00.
Ventilation - Minneapolis Roofing and Cornice Co., Minneapolis, Minn. for $1,391.00.
Painting - F. E. Lockhead, Casselton, N. D. for $1344.00.
The general contractors are here already and will be ready to go to work in a few days. They are this week advertising for bids for all the different kinds of hauling etc. and these bids will be let on Monday of next week and then the real work starts.
The new building will be about 60 feet wide and over 100 feet long, 2 stories and basement high. There will be a gym 35 feet by 75 feet and a ceiling 17 feet high, with plenty of stage room. There will be five classrooms on the first floor and the rest of the rooms on the upper floor. It is going to be one of the best constructed school buildings in this part of the state, everything considered. All rooms are going to be well lighted and ventilated and will be made pleasant for the pupils. It is planned to have the building ready by the time school opens next fall.

May 10, 1923

Laid to Rest

On Friday afternoon, May 4, at 2:30 o'clock, passed away one of Hunter's early citizens, at his farm home 4 miles northeast of this city, Mr. Alex Kennedy, at the age of 57 years, after an illness of about 6 years. Mr. Kennedy was born in Ireland and emigrated to America at an early age. About 25 years ago he settled near Hunter, through those years he has gathered around him many close friends as was witnessed at the funeral. It was estimated that over 50 cars drove from the house to the church. A host of people assembled to pay their last respects. Very appropriate services were held in the Presbyterian church Sunday at three o'clock. Long before that hour the church being filled with a host of friends. The body was conveyed to its last resting place, the Hunter cemetery where the last rites were read. Mr. Kennedy leaves to mourn him a widow and 4 children, 2 girls and 2 boys, Marian and Abbie, Robert and James. The sympathy of the whole community goes out to them in this hour of bereavement.

May 17, 1923


Mr. Alex Kennedy whose long illness with hope of recovery at times, is well known to all our readers, passed to the other shore Friday afternoon May 4th free from further suffering and at rest after experiences such as come to but few. That cited the final summons that he bore them uncomplainingly, and awaited the final summons with fortitude, was but the climax to his life of service.
Deceased was born in Draperstown, Derry Co., Ireland, Oct. 14th, 1867 and was therefore well along in his 56th year. He left his parental home in 1887, like many another in that early day he journeyed to the western country joining his sister and brother-in-law Mr. and Mrs. Robert Witherow at Cooperstown, N. D.
Coming to Hunter in 1889 and buying the home farm, on which he resided with his family up to the time of his death. He planting all the trees and shrubbery himself and making improvements from year to year, consequently having one of the most up to date farm homes in this locality. He was married Jan. 10th, 1900 in New York City to Miss Tillie Kenning with whom he enjoyed twenty three years of happy wedded life.
"Sandy" as we all called him in the early days, was fearless in his stand for the right. To live the principles in which he believed and to extend the cause of righteousness, he was ready for any sacrifice.
He united early in life with the Presbyterian Church and remained a most faithful and devout member until the messenger came to call him home. Being broad in his religion and charity, he loved God's cause and God's followers without distinction. And was ever ready to aid and lend a helping hand to all. A loving husband, father, and one of the best and kindest neighbors, a true friend of God. He received the Holy Communion on Saturday, a few days before his death, his family and a few friends were present witnessing this most sacred service and having the comfort of receiving communion for the last time with him.
A short burial service was heard at the home by Rev. W. H. Driver Sunday afternoon before the remains were taken to the Presbyterian church at Hunter where an impressive service was held under the direction of Rev. Driver who spoke eloquently and comfortingly of the “Father's home Beyond.” His widow, two sons Robert and James, two daughters, Abbie and Marion, live to miss the love and counsel and comradeship of an ideal husband and father.
May God lift up His countenance upon them and give them comfort and peace.
The tribute of flowers was large and beautiful in memory of him who was so pleasant a friend and whose untimely death brought profound sorrow to the hearts of numerous friends in Hunter and elsewhere. The gathering of sympathizing friends filled the edifice and large numbers stood on the outside unable to get in.
The pallbearers were Wm. Stewart, Andrew McSparron, Dan Beck, Fred Siegert, I. Moen and C. S. Collins, who lowered him softly into yonder grave where angels may hover over his body, where the grave may be kept green and the flowers may grow until the final resurrection. “For me to live is Christ and to die is gain.”

May 17, 1923

Auto Accident

On Friday evening after the show which was given in the Opera House in this city by the High School Seniors an auto accident occurred in front of the International Elevator on Main Street in which both of the cars were pretty badly damaged. When Fred Siegert of this city backed his Ford away from the curb he accidently backed right in the road of the Buick of Leslie Schroeder of Erie who had just drove into town from the north and who was unable to stop his car in time to avert a collision. The left front wheel of the Siegert car and the right front wheel of the Schroeder car were smashed right in including the fenders and headlights. Both of the drivers and passengers were uninjured. A large crowd witnessed the accident.

May 24, 1923

Celebrated Golden Wedding

Mr. and Mrs. Nels Jacobsen celebrated their golden wedding on Friday May 18th, 1923. There were present over 100 of their relatives and friends who helped them celebrate. And all had a fine time. They gathered at an early hour and stayed late, at about 11 P.M. a really fine lunch was served of which all present partook, after which most of the guests departed for their respective homes.
Mr. and Mrs. Jacobsen were married in Denmark, on May 18th 1873. They moved to the United States in 1899 and have lived in Hunter ever since. There was born to this happy union, 5 girls and one boy, all of whom are living. Names and addresses of the daughters are as follows: Mrs. Carl Jorgenson, Hunter; Mrs. Peter Larsen, Hunter; Mrs. Ottesen, Hunter; Mrs. B. Krusell, Buchanan, N. D. and Mrs. Peter Hay, Hunter. H. J. Jacobsen of Hunter is the only boy. They also have 26 grandchildren and 14 great grandchildren, most of whom were present.
The celebration took place at their home, which was nicely decorated with green and yellow and was a joy to the old folks as well as the young. Mr. and Mrs. Jacobsen received many congratulations as well as some fine gifts and cash donations from their relatives and friends. Their many friends wish them many more years of happy married life. And thus ended one of the most happy and enjoyable days in the life of this aged couple, both of them being over 75 years of age.

May 31, 1923

Commencement Exercises

1923 Class Roll Hunter High School: Faye Fisk, Abbie Kennedy, Marie Severson, Ella Rasmussen, Laura Peterson, Gladys Burmeister, Olga Korup, Paul Tater, Leo Rasmussen, Herbert Johnson, Elmer Sale, Gladys Skue, Helen Larsen, Margaret Carr, Dorothea Siegert, Florence Peterson, Evangeline Hanrahan, John Dickson, Harry Hogenson, Emmery Johnson.

June 7, 1923

Gale, Carr & Co. Hunter N.D. to Close Out
Their Stock, Store Building, Ware Houses and Lumber Yard. After 42 Years of Business in Hunter we are ready to close out our entire Mercantile business, the selling has been turned over to the Macomber Sales Co. of Minneapolis, Minn. This will no doubt be a surprise to our many friends and patrons. It will be the greatest sale in the history of this community, the selling will be fast and furious. We wish to dispose of our entire stock of dry good, notions, ladies wearing apparel, mens clothing and furnishing, shoes; hardware: furniture and groceries in just twenty seven days for the benefit of the people who live in long distance and the busy Farmer we will be open evenings with a small army of clerks to take care of you regardless of the crowds, everything in the store will be sold at cost, near cost and even less than cost. This sale, or closing out of business will bring to every family within a radius of 50 miles savings that you hardly dare believe, for it is our intention to absolutely and completely clear this store out from wall to wall in the shortest possible time.
We thank you, Gale, Carr & Co.

June 21, 1923

Passed Away

Mrs. Anna Hudson passed away on Friday of last week at her home in Hunter, at the age of 69 years. She had been ill for some time. She leaves to mourn her departure several sons and brothers and sisters, besides a host of friends. The funeral services were held in the church here on Sunday afternoon and the remains laid to rest in the local cemetery. The sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved.
Miss Myrtle Moen Graduates with Honors St. Olaf College, Northfield, Minnesota conferred the Bachelor of Arts degree upon Myrtle Moen of this city on June 11, when the largest class in the history of the institution, with more than 190 members, was graduated. The commencement festivities began Saturday morning.
Miss Moen has been prominent in extra-curricular activities at St. Olaf College. As a member of one of the co-ed literary societies she served as president for one term, and was a member of one of the teams that participated in the inter-society debates. During the past school year she was president of the Inter-society Board and a member of the Literary Board. Miss Moen has accepted a position to teach in the Mayville high school next fall.

June 28, 1923


Once again our town has been visited by the Grim Reaper the last enemy of man. Again, as so often before the community is shocked at the loss of one of the older citizens.
After a very long and trying illness Mrs. Annie Hudson has gone to the home beyond, where there is neither pain nor the sorrow of departure, June the 15th, 1923.
Annie Hudson (nee McLanchlin) was born November 7th 1853 in the town of Nairn, Ontario, Canada. Annie McLachlin came to the Dakota territory in the spring of 1883.
In the early spring of 1887-March the 19th, she was united in marriage to Mr. Edmund Hudson. To this happy union there were born four children, Hugh Peter, of this community, twin girls who passed into the great beyond in early childhood, and Wilfred Edmund also of Hunter.
Besides her two sons there are 5 grandchildren, three brothers and one sister to mourn the great loss. One brother-Mr. Peter McLachlin is well and honorably known throughout this district. John and Neil reside at Ailsa Craig, Ontario, also the sister Mary McKiehan.
The funeral services were conducted in the Presbyterian Church, Hunter, Sunday June 17th. After the service at the church, the remains were laid to rest in the family grave to await the “Resurrection Morn.” The crowded church and the many floral contributions spoke eloquently of the esteem in which the deceased was held.
The sincere sympathy of the whole community goes out to the beloved relatives in the sad hour of bereavement. In the words of the great Teacher we find strength of comfort, Let not your hearts be troubled, In My Father's house are many mansions. Be not afraid, ye waiting hearts that weep, For still He giveth His beloved sleep, And if an endless sleep He wills be be it.

Passes Away
On Saturday morning June 23, 1923 at 2 o'clock, at his home in this city, passed away Mr. E. Y. Newbre at the age of 46 years. Mr. Newbre was born at Battle Creek, Michigan Aug. 1875 and with his wife came to reside in this city a few years ago.
Mr. Newbre died very suddenly after no serious illness.
Funeral services were held in the Methodist church of this city, at 1 o'clock on Sunday last with Rev. Driver officiating. After the services the remains were laid to rest in the local cemetery.
Mr. Newbre leaves to mourn his loss, his wife, his father and mother and a brother at Los Angeles, Cal., who were unable to come; and a brother J. A. Newbre of Arvilla, N. D. who was here and attended the services. They sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved.

July 5, 1923

Passes Away

Mrs. Otto Schwalbe who used to reside near here in Bohnsack township and who moved away to Hillsboro a few years ago, passed away at her home in that city on Friday June 22. She was the mother of four children, 3 sons and one daughter, Mrs. Louis Bohnsack of Nevis, Minn., Fred who resides on the home place at Bohnsack, Edwin of Stillwater, Minn. and Willard who lives at the home in Hillsboro. She is also survived by her husband and her two sisters. Funeral services were held Monday of last week from her late residence in Hillsboro and from the German Lutheran church in Bohnsack. Rev. Paul Schumm officiated at both places.

July 12, 1923

Train Hits Auto, Three Killed, Four Injured

Accident Took Place at Tafts Siding on Friday July 6, at 4:38 P.M.
Rev. W. H. Driver, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church at Hunter, N. D., Mrs. Driver and their 18 months old son, Arthur, were killed and Dr. and Mrs. E. H. Richter and their 18 month old daughter, Ruth Alice, also of Hunter and Audrey daughter of the Drivers, were injured when the Chevrolet touring car owned and driven by Rev. Driver, was struck by Great Northern passenger train No. 4 at Tafts siding, north of Hillsboro, at 4:38 p.m. on Friday of last week.
Rev. and Mrs. Driver were killed instantly, and the son was so badly injured that he died a few moments after being placed in the train. The bodies of those killed and the injured were rushed to Fargo on the train.
Ruth Alice Richter suffered several bruises and it was thought at one time that they would prove fatal but she has improved so much that attending physicians declare she has a splendid chance to recover.
It first was thought that Dr. Richter was fatally hurt, but an examination proved that his wounds were superficial. There were deep cuts on the head and face, but he suffered most from shock. A long gash at the back of the head, necessitating 10 stitches, was the extent of Mrs. Richter's injuries.
Audrey Driver, 4 year old daughter of the two victims, was cut just above the left eye. Four stitches were taken in the wound.
Details of the accident are very meager. It is impossible to tell whether Rev. Driver's view of the track was obstructed by the huge elevator which stands between the highway and the track, or whether he started to cross the track without giving heed to the possibility of a train approaching.
It is evident, however, that the car was nearly on the tracks before Rev. Driver saw the rapidly moving train. He tried to stop it, but could not, and the train struck it almost squarely. Number 4 was three hours late and, according to passengers, traveling exceptionally fast at the time.
The car was demolished, and the mangled and twisted wreckage thrown in the ditch near the track.
Eyewitness Gives Account
Mrs. N. Nelson, who was sitting on the porch of her home facing the highway just near the turn to cross the tracks, saw the accident. She said the car was struck squarely in the middle. Dr. Richter said that it was his impression that Rev. Driver had turned the car to the left in an effort to run down the side of the track and escape the train, but Mrs. Nelson said the auto was on the tracks before the train hit it.
She said that Rev. Driver did not appear to be driving over 15 or 18 miles an hour when he passed her house. The turn in the road is not sharp, so he would not need to lessen the velocity (providing he was not going over 18 miles) to make the turn. He may have speeded up after making the turn, but even then, he couldn't have been going over 25 miles an hour, which would not have prevented a quick stop if he saw the train soon enough, she said.
Mrs. Nelson said the engineer gave the regular warning whistle at the usual place. Besides that, the train was unusually heavy and long, and passengers said the engine was making considerable noise.
The conductor on the train informed D. J. McCarthy, G. N. agent at Fargo, that the auto was driven toward the track evidently without any of its occupants seeing the train. Whistles had been blown and signals set, he said. He also said the car was turned down the tracks when the train was sighted, and that the train struck it just as it turned. He said there was a full view of the tracks for at least three blocks each way.
Rev. and Mrs. Driver had been residents of Hunter for three years. They came to North Dakota from Langbank, Sask., three years ago, and came here to Hunter where Rev. Driver accepted the Methodist charge. He had charge of the Langbank church for three years previous to that.
Natives of England
Rev. Driver was a native of England and his mother, Mrs. Anna Driver still lives at Leeds in that country. He was 33 years old. An uncle was killed in the World war being with the British army. He has a brother, George Driver, living at Leeds.
According to Rev. S. E. Fairham of Wimbledon, N. D., for years a close friend of Rev. and Mrs. Driver, an uncle, James Driver, lives in Kansas. Efforts now are being made to locate him.
Mrs. Driver was Miss Della O'Brien of Broadview, Sask., and was married to Rev. Driver in 1917. She was born in Nova Scotia 35 years ago. She is survived by her mother, two brothers and two sisters, all of them, save one brother, reside now at Westminster, B. C. whither they moved last spring after the death of Mrs. Driver's father.
Rev. Driver was ordained at the annual conference of the Methodists church at Mandan last October.
The Drivers and the Richters had driven to Grand Forks, where Dr. Richter took state medical examinations. Rev. Driver had gone there to arrange for a supply for his pulpit for several weeks while he underwent treatment in a Fargo hospital, arrangements for which had been made. They were on the return trip when the fatal accident occurred.
The remains of Rev. And Mrs. W. H. Driver and their son Arthur arrived here on Wednesday morning, accompanied by friends and relatives.
M. M. O'Brien of Kimberly, B. C. and Miss Francis O'Brien of Vancouver, B. C., brother and sister of Mrs. Driver, arrived here on Wednesday morning, and attended the triple funeral. Miss O'Brien will take Audrey Driver, the four year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Driver, with her, to her home in Canada.
The triple funeral was held on Wednesday afternoon at two from the Methodist church. The services were conducted in the open air, as it was found that the church would not accommodate all. About 750 attended this funeral, which spoke of the high esteem in which they were held. Dr. Anderson of Fargo had charge of the funeral.
The funeral was one of the largest ever held in Hunter, and all three caskets were covered with flowers as was also the grave. The services were very impressive.

July 12, 1923


Well Known Young People Married at Fargo
The marriage of Miss Marian McLachlin, daughter of Senator and Mrs. Peter McLachlin of Hunter, and Lester W. Bullard of Casselton was solemnized at the manse of the First Presbyterian church, Fargo, at one o'clock Saturday afternoon last, Dr. D. T. Robertson officiating.
The bride was gowned in a cocoa brown silk trimmed with beads of gold. She wore a corsage of pink roses, lilies of the valley and babys breath. Only members of the two families were present at the wedding. Following the ceremony a wedding dinner was served at the Gardner hotel to members of the two families and Dr. and Mrs. Robertson. Pink roses and ferns formed the centerpiece for the table.
Out of town guests at the wedding were-Mr. John Bullard of Casselton, uncle of the groom; Misses Florence and Maitte Bullard, sisters of the groom, and three sisters, brother and parents of the bride.
Mr. and Mrs. Bullard left for the lakes on their wedding trip, and will be at home after August 15th at LaMoure where he is to be Smith-Hughes instructor next year.
Mrs. Bullard since her graduation from the agricultural college in 1921 has been teaching in the domestic science department of the Roosevelt Junior high school in Fargo. Mr. Bullard of the class of 1922, has been principal of the schools at Leonard, N. D. for the last year. All will wish Mr. and Mrs. Bullard a long and happy life, for they are known as capable and efficient and attractive in every way.
--Casselton Reporter, July 6
Again the ages old mystery has been worked in our midst and one of our most loving and lovable girls, daughter of Hon. and Mrs. Peter McLachlin was married to Lester W. Bullard of Casselton at the Presbyterian Manse in Fargo, by the Pastor of that church Dr. Robertson June 30th 1923 and has gone happily away from parents and friends who have known and loved her all her life.
The Bullards like the McLachlins are old pioneer families of Cass Co. and scores of friends who wish the happy couple the happiest life this earth affords. They are spending the honeymoon at the Lakes and will be home at LaMoure, N. D., after September 1st 1923.

August 23, 1923

Farewell Reception

A farewell reception was given on Tuesday evening in the basement of the M. E. church in honor of Dr. W. F. Baillie and family, which was participated in by over 100 of the citizens of Hunter and community. A short program was rendered which consisted of songs and readings and was surely enjoyed. Senator Peter McLachlin acted as master of ceremonies and after the program gave a short talk wishing the Dr. and his family success and happiness in their new home, on behalf of the citizen of this community and at the same time welcomed the now located Dr. Richter and family.
The greater part of the evening was spent in visiting which we all enjoyed. Ice cream and cake-plenty of both-were served and enjoyed. The happy meeting ended at a little after ten and all departed for their respective homes glad that they had been there.
Dr. Baillie and family will leave on Friday of this week for their new home in Fargo. The good Doctor has made his home in Hunter for over 19 years and while here he has made a host of friends all of whom will wish him the success he merits.

September 6, 1923

Myron Collins, son of Stoel Collins, had his collar bone broken on Sunday last. Dr. Richter was called and he set the break. Myron is getting along as good as could be expected.

October 25, 1923

Mr. and Mrs. Martin Abrahamson of Minnesota were here on Saturday last visiting at the W. D. Collins home. Mrs. Collins is a sister of Mr. Abrahamson.
Mrs. W. D. Collins and children left on Tuesday for Kathryn, this state, where she will visit with relatives and friends for a few days before returning home.
Farrells Orchestra On last Friday evening a number of the young folks from Hunter attended a barn dance at Hancocks east of Amenia. It was the most successful dance of the season, although the weather was bitterly cold all had a good time, because Farrell's wonderful five piece orchestra from Fargo furnished the music. Farrell has the best orchestra in the north west, and he has five real musicians and they do not play that howling jazz music as most orchestras do but they have a variation of rhythm and harmony, which many people who never dance come miles to hear, as it is a wonderful treat to hear music of this sort. His orchestra is composed of Walt Drengson who can get more music out of six keys on a piano than most players can get from an electric piano. Les Baker on this wonderful banjo and voice. Don Whi is a wonderful solo saxophone player. Dode from Chicago, who can make a cornet float in the air with harmony music. And last but not least Wyn Farrell the drummer and manager. Wherever Farrell's orchestra plays you can always depend on a large crowd and success.

November 8, 1923

Silver Wedding

Mr. and Mrs. John Hanson were pleasantly surprised when about noon on Sunday last, several cars filled with people drove into the yard, bringing with them all kinds of good things to eat.
The occasion for the surprise was their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary. The guests were all members of the Lutheran church and Aid Society, with a few out-of-town relatives.
Mr. and Mrs. Hanson were presented with 25 silver dollars as a token of appreciation and respect.
At dusk the guests departed wishing the couple many more happy years together.
The guests present were Messers and Mesdames: I. Moen, Carl Skue, John Fredrickson, Nels Johnson, Nels Rosval, J. G. Knudtson, O. Noril, C. Thompson, Ed. Severson, H. Martinson, and Mrs. A. Severson, Mr. ? C. Sayer and Miss Joyce Knudtson.
Out-of-town guests were Mr. O. Moen of Walcott, Miss Marritt Moen of Comstock, Mr. Louis Moen and daughters Emma and Magna, Mr. and Mrs. John Kittleson of Galesburg and Miss Krockness of Galesburg.

November 15, 1923


Mrs. Lois Lovisa Muir was born May 22, 1842 in Johnston, Vt. and died Nov. 9, 1923, at her home at Hunter, N. D. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Cyrus Wheelock, of sturdy New England stock, moved to Illinois when she was ten years old, where she was educated and became a teacher.
In 1863 she was married to Mr. Walter Muir, then a soldier in the Civil War. Her father and brothers were also in the service. After 15 years in Minnesota, Mr. and Mrs. Muir moved to North Dakota in 1879. Mr. Muir, who was prominent in the political life of the state, died in 1916. Seven children blessed their home. Three survive, Marion, now Mrs. Wm. H. Simmons of Minneapolis, Wm. C. who is living at Hunter, and Robert W., now professor of law in the State University of Tennessee at Knoxville.
The funeral was held Monday, Nov. 12th at 2 p. m. at the Presbyterian Church, of which she was a member and was conducted by Rev. W. C. Sage, pastor of the Methodist church. Mrs. Elizabeth Preston Anderson, representing the State Women's Christian Temperance Union, paid tribute to her remarkable personality and unusual qualities of mind and heart, and to her work in the temperance reform. The love and esteem of the community were shown by the large attendance and by the wealth of floral tributes, which made not only the church but the grave beautiful.
Mrs. Muir was a charter member of the Hunter Women's Christian Temperance Union and for more than 34 years, until her death, was its president. For many years she conducted a Loyal Temperance Legion branch of the W. C. T. U. Hundreds of boys and girls, now men and women, were taught the principles of total abstinence and prohibition by her.
In 1910, the North Dakota W. C. T. U. made her secretary of what is known as the Willard Union. Isolated women on the farms, who are not near a town or a local union, may become members of this state union and thus identified with the great work of the W. C. T. U. Mrs. Muir held this office until her death. Many beautiful letters from her went to lonely women on the prairie, bringing to them the courage and cheer of white ribbon comradeship.
She was a pioneer settler of North Dakota as well as a pioneer in the work of prohibition and equal suffrage. In the early days when doctors and nurses were few, she acted in both capacities and was never too busy to minister to the suffering. She lived to see the consummation of her labors and prayers in the adoption of the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Amendments to the Constitution of the United States. She was a woman of remarkable poise, kindliness and strength of character.
The Muir home at Hunter was one of the most hospitable in the state. It was a cultured, Christian home and a haven of rest to those who came within its doors.
Mrs. Muir has been ill for nearly a year but was up and about until a few days before her death. Her patience in suffering was heroic, and her faith, courage and optimism were triumphant in death. To the many who loved her she is still, “Rainbow to the storms of life, The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, And tints tomorrow with prophetic ray.”

November 29, 1923

Miss Nettie Skue, daughter of Mrs. Anna Skue, of Fargo, became the bride of Harry L. Henry, son of Mr. and Mrs. R. N. Henry, of Blanchard, N. D. at 3 p. m., Wednesday, the ceremony being performed at the home of the bride's mother by Rev. R. L. Stinson, in the presence of the immediate members of the two families. Yellow and white chrysanthemums were used in the home decorations. Mr. and Mrs. Henry will make their home on a farm near Blanchard. Mrs. Henry has been engaged in teaching in the schools of the state for some time and Mr. Henry has been engaged in farming. Mr. and Mrs. R. N. Henry, of Blanchard, parents of the bridegroom, and Mr. and Mrs. Carl Skue and daughter Dorothy, of Hunter, brother-in-law and sister-in-law of the bride, were the out of town guests. -From the Hillsboro Banner, November 16th.

"There is a Reaper whose name is Death, And with his sickle keen, He reaps the bearded grain at a breath, And the flowers that grow between."
Once more this grim Reaper has entered our circle of friends and garnered to the Great Beyond one who in former years was well known to many residents of Hunter and vicinity.
Miss Aurilla Mullins or as she was familiarly known to her many friends “Auntie Mullins” departed this life on November 10 at the home of her niece Ms. Pauline Williams, at Central Butte, Saskatchewan, Canada.
The cause of her death was cancer of the stomach from which she had suffered since last May. She was not confined to her bed until about a month previous to her demise.
Miss Mullins was born at Georgetown, Ontario, on December 8, 1847, and at the time of her death was nearly seventy-six years of age. She came to Hunter in 1897 with her niece Mrs. Lettie Mitchell (later Mrs. Oscar Robinson).
Miss Mullins spent about twenty years in Hunter, going six years ago to Saskatchewan to live with Pauline to whom she was greatly attached and by whom she was lovingly cared for during the last years of her life.
Thus, one by one, the familiar faces are passing from our sight away, though not from memory.
Their many friends here extend sympathy to the bereaved ones in this time of their sorrow. May He “Who tempers the wind to the shorn lamb” comfort them as none else can. May she rest in eternal peace (A friend).

November 20, 1923

Auto Accident

On Saturday night of last week an auto accident happened about seven miles south of Mayville, when the car that was taking the local basketball team back from their game went in the ditch. The car is a total wreck.
The driver C. F. Collins, Harry Hogenson and George Landon were injured. Collins and Landon are up at this writing but Hogenson had the misfortune to lose his left eye. He was taken to the hospital, St. John's, at Fargo, on Sunday and the best medical care given him but all to no avail, on Monday he was operated upon. At this writing he is getting along as well as could be expected. Five others were in the car and all escaped with nothing more than a severe shaking up. All those in the car say that it was not so much the fault of fast driving as the fact that the Ford ahead pulled in front of them as they were passing. It is hoped that all will soon recover. Let this be a lesson to all and take heed when passing cars.

December 27, 1923

Laura Skue Bride of Ex-service Man

Announcement has been made of the marriage of Miss Laura Skue daughter of Mrs. Anna Skue, 123 4th St. So. Fargo, to Lyle Armstrong, son of Mr. and Mrs. Douglass Armstrong of Page, N. D. The wedding took place on Thursday, December 20 at 3 p.m. at the home of the bride's mother with Rev. R. J. Stinson reading the service in the presence of a few intimate friends and family members. The bride, who was unattended, wore gray brocaded canton crepe with a corsage bouquet of tea roses. Miss Keziah Evingson played the nuptial music.
After the ceremony a wedding dinner was served.
The out-of-town guests were Mrs. S. D. Armstrong of Page, mother of the groom, Mr. and Mrs. H. L. Henry of Blanchard and Mr. and Mrs. Carl Skue and daughters Louise and Dorothy of Hunter. Mrs. Armstrong graduated from St. John's hospital with the class of 1921 and since her graduation has been engaged in the practice of her profession in Fargo. Mr. Armstrong is an ex-service man and a student in the A. C. economics department. Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong will be at home at 1207 10th Ave. North after Jan. 1, 1924.

2013 Copyrighted and Contributed by Steven Pueppke

Newspaper Extractions Index
Back to the Cass County, NDGenWeb