Hunter News 1924 Hunter Herald

Hunter News
1924 Hunter Herald

January 1, 1925

Hunter Men Experience Ride in Driverless Car

What might have been a serious accident occurred last Wednesday, south of this village. Anton Johnson was returning from Fargo in his Buick sedan and had as passengers I. Moen, Nels Johnson, R. L. Hopper and Gerhard Larson. The foot warmer had become overheated and according to some versions of the affair flames began playing around Mr. Johnson's feet. Becoming excited he turned the key in the switch to shut down the car and warning the other occupants, jumped out. But the key must have caught in Mr. Johnson's glove and when he jumped out of the car, turned back into place as he pulled his hand away. Therefore the other occupants of the car were in the predicament of rambling along the road with no driver. Before one of them could get hold of the wheel, the car had left the road and gone into the ditch. Mr. Moen suffered a painful injury to one of his legs, although there were no other injuries. The car was damaged to the extent of a broken wheel and other minor parts were broken.

January 8, 1925

Moens to have Fine Display Room

They are getting started in the right direction with the New Year at Moens' implement house. The front part of the building has been partitioned off and is being sealed up and which, when completed, will be used as an office and sales and display room. This will relieve the crowded condition and enables them to display their excellent line of machinery, accessories and parts. C. J. Sorenson is doing the work.
News Morsels as told Twenty One Years Ago Items taken from the Hunter Herald of January 5, 1904

Arthur Items

Robert and Andy Stewart spent a few days in Fargo last week.
Dave Bettschen of Moorhead spent Christmas with his brother Louie.
Albert Farnham, who is attending the University at Grand Forks, spent his vacation at home.
T. O. Burgum, the newly elected representative, left Friday for Bismarck. He was accompanied by his wife and children.

Hunter Happenings

Ed. McDonald and George Hudson shipped ten horses to Aiken, Minn. last Thursday to work in the woods.
W. H. Beard shipped two cars of sheep last week billed to Chicago.
Ray Critchfield and Rob Muir returned to Minneapolis last Monday to resume their studies.
The call books for the Hunter Telephone exchange have been completed and show 57 phones for the town and 75 for the rural lines, while Grandin has 34, making a total of 166 phones.
Carlie Collins is visiting in Duluth.

Death Claims Pioneer Woman; Funeral Tuesday

Services conducted under legion auspices to respect her dying wishes Funeral services were held at the M. E. Church, Tuesday afternoon, for Mrs. Anna Anders, who died at the home of her daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. M. Ostrander, Sunday, January 4.
The services were conducted under the auspices of the Albert Wallner Post of the American Legion, as was her own dying request. The church was filled to capacity by the many friends and neighbors, who came to pay their last respects to the good woman. She was buried in the local cemetery.
Deceased was born in England, October 2, 1846, being a little over 77 years old at death.
She came to America when a young woman, locating at St. Paul, but going in 1873 to Ft. Lincoln, near Bismarck. She was married to F. L. Anders, a soldier in the 17th U. S. Infantry, July 4, 1874. Three children were born to them, Frank L., Jr., Chas. C. and Mrs. M. Ostrander of this city, all of whom survive her.
Mr. Anders died in 1890, after which the widow returned to Fargo near where they had lived after Mr. Anders' discharge from military duty. She resided there until 1901, making her home with her children, when she moved to California but returned to Fargo in 1905.
She came to Hunter in 1912 making her home here since. She soon became well connected here and made many friends.
Mrs. Anders was a regular attendant at the local churches, and was especially interested in church work.
Besides her two sons and a daughter, she leaves a large circle of friends to mourn her departure.

Fire Boys Step Lively When Bell Rings

The fire department was called out late Friday afternoon, the alarm having been turned in from the C. J. Sorenson residence where a fire had started from a blow torch which was being used to thaw out a cistern pipe.
The fire had not got under way and was easily extinguished. The fire boys surely stepped lively on that call and Mr. Sorenson wishes through the Herald to extend to them the thanks of the Sorenson family for their hurried response to the call.

January 15, 1925

Hunter Man Gets Patent Rights on Potato Picker

Clarence Martin enters fame of Hunter's hall of fame; received many offers
Clarence Martin, prominent Hunter farmer has joined the ranks of Hunter's famous inventors and this locality is famous as the home of inventors.
This week he received from the U. S. patent office at Washington full patent rights on a potato picker, which he has been working on for some time and which will revolutionize the potato industry in the Red River valley. The picking of potatoes has always been one of the biggest bug-bears of the potato industry, both from the standpoint of shortage of help and expense.
The editor of the Herald made an inspection of the machine the other morning at the Thompson shop and while we will not attempt to tell how it works in detail, yet we were much impressed with it and having picked potatoes and knowing the back aches and other aches that goes with the hand method, we venture to say that Mr. Martin will be hailed as a Joan of Arc. Roughly describing the machine, it is constructed in the shape of a potato digger, and on the elevator chain, such as a potato digger has, there are a number of baskets or tin strips, which dive into the ground, one after the other as the elevator chain revolves, picks up the potatoes, weeds etc. and carries them to an elevator spout where the potatoes are dumped from the basket and carried to the sacker and the weeds, vines, etc. are carried out over the back of the machine to the ground. It is a most practical machine and should find a ready welcome with the potato growers.
Mr. Martin received all patents he made application for and is fully protected. He has already received a number of offers from different parts of the country, which is indicative of the great commercial value of the invention.
Events of Score of Years Ago

Taken from the Hunter Herald of January 12, 1894

Mr. and Mrs. Alex Kennedy celebrated the fifth anniversary of their marriage on Tuesday of this week (quite a lengthy account of the affair was given in the Herald of above date).
Physicians now say that those who sleep with their mouths closed have the best health. If you awake in the night and find your mouth open get up and close it.
Dick Richardson reigns no more in single blessedness. He was married in Granville to Miss Augusta Schroeder. Our congratulations, friend Richard.
Fred Williams of Arthur Mercantile Co. was doing business in town Tuesday.
Mr. and Mrs. Roy Swartwood have taken rooms in the Critchfield residence.
January 29, 1925

Hockridge Installs Ni

fty Ford Part Bins The R. C. Hockridge Garage has had installed the up-to-date steel Ford part bins and has his office thoroughly modernized, making it one of the most conveniently equipped places in this part of the state.
The bins enable him to carry a complete line of repairs and parts, each part being kept in its own separate compartment. They are arranged and indexed so that one can find what he is looking for in a minute's notice.
Drop in at the garage and look them over. You can see them for yourself better than we can tell you about them.

February 5, 1925

Death Claims Pioneer Woman of Hunter

Had resided here since early eighties; was born in Denmark in 1853
On Saturday morning, at her home in this city, occurred the death of Mrs. Chris Schur, a woman who had resided with us since 1885, with the exception of two years spent in Oregon and one year at Dwight, N. D.
Death came peacefully and although deceased had not been strong for several years, she had been confined to her bed but little more than a week.

Funeral services were held Monday at the home with Rev. J. H. Black, pastor of the Presbyterian church, conducting the services. Here a large number of friends and neighbors gathered to pay their last respects, and comfort the husband and relatives in their bereavement.
She was born at Ostofte, Denmark, March 6, 1853, so would have reached her seventy-second milestone next month. She was married in 1873 and in 1885 with her husband emigrated to America, coming directly to North Dakota. They resided at Dwight for about a year and then came to Hunter where they resided since, with the exception of about two years they were in Oregon. Five years ago, they moved into the village. Mr. Schur previously worked on farms in this vicinity.
Mrs. Schur was a God-fearing woman, hard working, sincere, and kind hearted. She has gone to a reward justly earned.
She leaves to mourn her departure her husband and a sister, Mrs. Nels Larson of this city, also a brother who lives in Utah.

Hunter to Have Movies Every Week

Next Tuesday evening February 10 at the I. O. O. F. hall, there will again be movies. A Fargo picture man was here Monday and made the necessary arrangements and an ad in this issue of the Herald verifies the same. If it appears that Hunter folks want movies they will be given once each week.
“How to Educate a Wife” is the attraction for Tuesday, featuring Monte Blue and Marie Prevost. There will also be a comedy picture, Charlie Chapman in “Easy Street.” Eight reels, all told, and they tell us that you'll laugh all the way through.
Let's patronize the show so that we can have them as a regular diet, once each week.

February 26, 1925

Two Small Daughters of William McKinnon are Victims of Fire

Explosion Occurs When Boy Pours Kerosene Upon Fire in Wood Stove
Opal McKinnon, aged 10, and her 5 year old sister Blanche, were burned to death in the McKinnon farm home near Grandin at about 7 a.m. Friday, when kerosene exploded in a wood stove.
Seven of their brothers and sisters, all the children of Mr. and Mrs. William McKinnon, farmers, escaped through a window.
The eight younger children had been left in the care of Doris, 16, the eldest while the parents attended a trial in Cass county court. The eight youngest were all in two beds on either side of the wood stove when Clyde rose at 7 a. m. to light the fire. He poured kerosene on the wood in the stove, touched a match to it and in a moment the room was in flames.
Clyde owes his life to his sister, Muriel, age 14, who immediately snatched a blanket from the bed and wrapped it about him, smothering the fire.
The only door in the room was cut off by the fire and Clyde broke the only window in the room with his fists. It was in the scramble to get out that the two children were burned to death.
All the children, scantily clad, ran back and forth, pounding on the walls of the house and attempting to crawl back through the window to save the lives of their little sisters. The temperature stood at 9 above zero and snow was falling heavily.
Muriel, aged 14, when she saw there was no means of saving the little tots, ran a quarter of a mile with bare feet, clad only in thin night clothes to the John MacAndrews farm, to seek aid.

Father Walking Home Meanwhile, Mr. McKinnon, father of the family was on his way home from Fargo, having taken the train to Hendrum which is about four miles from the home, and was walking through the deep snow to his children.
When about a half mile from his home he saw the house in a blaze and ran the rest of the distance. Arriving at the scene, he made frantic attempts to rescue the two little ones imprisoned in the burning structure, but the flames, which had now enveloped the entire house, held him back.
In the meantime, the children were standing about in the cold and it was a question of either taking them to a warm place immediately or attempting further to rescue the imprisoned ones and let them freeze.
So he gathered the rest of his family about him started the hike of a quarter of a mile through the snow to the McAndrews farm where they were warmed by the fire and given dry clothes.

Clyde to Fargo.
Then the burns that Clyde had received in the fire made it necessary for him to have immediate medical attention, so Fred Winterquist, friend of the family who lived nearby, and the father, took Clyde to St. Luke's hospital.
In the meantime, the fire which cost the lives of two of the family and wiped out the farm home, burned itself out.
The house was a five room structure and built by the McKinnons about five years ago. All household furniture was a complete loss.
Surviving their sisters are Doris, 16; Muriel, 14; Clyde, 11 (in the hospital at Fargo); Ruby, 8; Grace, 6; Allen, 3; James, 2.
Another sister, Mrs. Fred Jalbert, also survives.
The bodies of Opal and Blanche were taken from the ruins Saturday by neighbors who lifted the ashes with potato forks.
All of the surviving children with the exception of Clyde are scattered among the neighbors and relatives.

March 5, 1925

School Building Near Grandin Destroyed By Fire Fire Starts From Banking; First Blaze was Extinguished by School Children Last Wednesday the school house in district 119 burned to the ground, the cause of the fire resulted from a second fire in the banking. The first one happened during school hours and was supposed to be extinguished but with the strong wind broke out again burning the school house. This school is better known as the Grage school. The school is five miles from Grandin and the flames could be seen for three hours from town.
Hockridge Garage Gets Car Lot of Fords The F. C. Hockridge Garage on Tuesday unloaded a car load of new Fords, seven cars in all, including one Fordor, two coupes, two Tudors, two touring cars. Mr. Hockridge informs us that a number of these cars are already spoken for, and that he expects to ship in another carload in the near future. The new models are an improvement in a good many ways over the last year's cars.
Mr. Hockridge also announced that the garages at Gardner, Arthur, Erie and Galesburg were now authorized sub-Ford-dealers, working under the local garage.

March 12, 1925

Pioneer Galesburg Woman Buried on Thursday

Mrs. H. P. Smith Born in Norway 75 Years Ago; Resided Near Galesburg for 45 Years On Tuesday afternoon, March 3, Mrs. H. P. Smith passed away after having failed in health during the past year. The deceased was one of the sturdy pioneer women of this community and lived a long and useful life and her memory will long linger with those left behind to mourn her loss.
The deceased whose maiden name was Gunhild I. Jondahl, was born in Gudbransdalen, Norway, on July 7, 1850, and in 1882 was married to Hans P. Smith and homesteaded on the splendid farm which they built up in this community. During the past six years they have lived in their fine home here in Galesburg. The deceased leaves the husband and seven children, Carl, Iver, Robert, Henry, Melvin, Sena, and Anna and two brothers, John I. and Ole I. Johndahl to mourn her loss.
All were present at her bedside except Robert who lives at Plentywood, Mont. and did not reach here until after her demise.
Funeral services were held last Thursday in the Lutheran church of which the deceased was a faithful member, Rev. K. Kildahl officiating and she was laid to rest in the Lutheran cemetery in presence of a large gathering of mourners.
In conformity with one of her last requests no elaborate floral tributes were placed on her casket, but equivalent sums contributed to charity to her memory.
The sympathy of this community is with the bereaved in this their hour of sorrow.

Rain, Hail, Snow, Sleet-All in One Eventful Day

Electrical Disturbances Feature Pranks of Weather Man; Five Inches of Snow
The heaviest snow of the year fell in Hunter Monday when approximately five inches fell. A light snow fell early in the morning and was followed by a light but steady rain. This later turned to sleet and again to a heavy snow which fell practically all during the afternoon and early in the evening. The entire precipitation amounted to slightly less than one inch of water. The temperature remained relatively high during the entire day, the maximum being 32.3 degrees and the minimum 28.9 degrees above zero.
The darkness of the sky Monday is thought by the weather observers at the state university at Grand Forks to have been caused by dust in the upper atmosphere. Samples of the snow that fell during the period of darkness were caught by L. P. Dove, assistant professor of geology, and will be tested to ascertain the cause of the darkness.
The electrical disturbances, noticeable here about noon Monday, and again about 3 o'clock in the afternoon, are very uncommon in this section at this time of the year. Electrical storms also occurred through the southern and central parts of Minnesota, Monday, according to word received here.
The storm caused no damage in this section as far as could be ascertained last night. Train service was not disrupted nor were telephone lines knocked down by the heavy snow and sleet.
Roads are still open and travel between here and Fargo has not been tied up.

March 26, 1925

Louis Erdahl Buys Hunter Feed Mill

Abel Aiken left for his home at Morrison, Ill., Thursday evening having disposed of his feed mill here to Louis Erdahl, formerly manager of the Equity Elevator at this place. Mr. Erdahl assumes possession April first.
The many friends of Mr. Erdahl will be pleased to learn that he has purchased the mill and are satisfied that they will receive the best of service from him. He is an experienced man and Hunter will welcome him as a business man on his own initiative.

New Barber Takes Post This Week

Jack Currie is Hunter's new barber. He arrived here Monday and declares himself well satisfied with Hunter and his work. Mr. Currie formerly worked in the barber shop and beauty parlor at the Andrews hotel in Minneapolis and has worked at Mayville, where he enjoyed the acquaintance of Sam Groth, principal of the local schools. Local patrons will find that Mr. Currie is not only a most congenial fellow but that he “knows his oil” in the barber business.

April 2, 1925

Casselton Yardman Killed by Larimore Freight

Crushed Between Couplings as he was at Work, While Backing Up Larimore Local Edward Schmit, yardmaster for the Great Northern railway at Casselton, was killed early Wednesday morning when he was crushed between two cars, while helping make up the Larimore local.
Schmit is believed to have been killed while adjusting the couplings. The body was found by men working in the yards at 8:05 a. m.
It is thought that he was killed instantly, as his abdomen was badly crushed and several ribs were broken. There were no evidences of the body having been dragged by the train and it is believed that Schmit dropped between the cars as soon as he was hit.
A watch, found in his pocket, had stopped at 6:10 and it was at this time that the Larimore train was being made up. A heavy fog, which made it impossible to see very far ahead, is supposed to be partly responsible for the engineer failing to see Schmit.
Mr. Schmit was born in Casselton, 32 years ago. He has been in the employ of the Great Northern for about 19 years, starting as a call boy. He gradually worked his way to higher positions and over 12 years ago was promoted to the position of yardmaster.
Surviving are his wife and his mother, Mrs. Anna Schmit, of Casselton.

Asa Sherritt Weds Minneapolis Girl

Asa Sherritt left Tuesday evening for Minneapolis where he was married Wednesday march 25th to Miss Sharmot of Minneapolis. They returned by Thursday morning train to his home on the farm. A large number of his friends young and old gathered at his home last Monday evening and a very pleasant evening was spent in social chat and dancing. All left wishing them a long, happy and prosperous wedded life.

Leave This Gal's Hose Alone

Mrs. Clem Bassett wishes to inform the public that her fire hose can not be used for fires by the general public. It is a private piece of property, costing several hundred dollars, and every time there is a fire the hose is taken and left wherever the fire may be, and she respectively requests that her hose be left alone.

A. R. Leighton, Former Hunter Man Dead

News was received this week by S. D. Willison of the sudden death of his uncle, A. R. Leighton at Blaine, Wash., where he had lived since leaving Hunter 17 years ago. While living here deceased operated the Hunter Dray line, selling out to Pete Hoy and moving to Washington.
The following clipping taken from the Blaine Washington Press tells of Mr. Leighton's sudden demise: Albert R. Leighton the popular clerk in the hardware department of Wolten & Montfort's store, passed away Friday last after about a week's illness. Friends had heard of his being sick but were entirely unprepared to hear of his death.
The funeral services were held at the home on Harrison avenue Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, Rev. H. O. Jones of the Congregational church officiating. The floral offerings were many and beautiful and a quartet sang “Beautiful Isle of Somewhere.” The pallbearers were: James Scott, Robert Witherow, O. K. Middleton, James Willison, Cecil Still, and James Irwin.
Albert R. Leighton was born in Scotland April 10, 1864. He came to this country when a child and lived in Iowa, later moving to North Dakota. He came to Blaine in February, 1908, and resided here since. He is survived by a widow, one daughter, Mrs. Lois Elliot, a son, George Leighton, and an adopted daughter, Violet, all residing here also five grandchildren.
Deceased was a man of strict honesty and integrity and loved and honored by everyone. Truly the world has lost something in his passing.

Grandin Has Real Up To Date Garage

Grandin has an up-to-date garage and they admit it, as Jiggs would say. J. B. Kelleher is the proprietor of it and he carries a full line of Ford accessories, has the agency for the Twin City tractor and the Delaval cream separator. He guarantees first class workmanship on repair work.

April 9, 1925

Page to Have New Newspaper All Its Own
A brand new newspaper carrying the caption “Page Headlight” will come to life next week, with the Herald Printing Co., publishers of the Hunter Herald and The Arthur News, as publishers. The Herald was convinced of the soundness of the undertaking after interviewing the business men of Page, one of the livest little cities in North Dakota. They feel the real need for a real newspaper and the Herald boys are going to try to give them just that thing. The subscription price of the Headlight will be the same as that of the Herald and News.
Some shifting was done this week in the personnel of the Herald force. R. C. Peterson, for the past two years employed on the Globe at Wahpeton has taken a position with the Herald and entered upon his duties Monday morning. Harry Hogenson has taken ye ed's old high powered Ford turn-a-bout to the tall weeds in search of readers for the Herald. He is now working in the Grandin territory and is meeting with remarkable success. You'll either have to subscribe for the Herald when Harry comes around or else talk yourself to death.
Nick Winistorfer is also spending some time out this week in search of job printing for the Herald. He visited the Alice territory in particular and next week expects to do considerable work at Page.
Moens Have Agency For Hudson and Essex Cars I. Moen's this week announce that they have taken over the agency for the Hudson and Essex cars and on advertisement in this paper sets forth a few leading selling points for those cars.
Bill Moen went to Fargo the last of the week and drove home an Essex coach which they have on display and are using for a demonstrator.

April 9, 1925

Potato Cutter Added to Hunter's List of Great Inventions
F. G. Brewer Gets patent on Potato Cutter with Will Mean Much to Potato Growers Minneapolis is known as the mill city because of the great manufacturies there. Chicago as the windy city, Pittsburg as the smoky city, and why not Hunter-the home of inventors. We believe we can say without fear of contradiction that Hunter has mothered more inventors of real note than any other city, village or hamlet in the northwest. There is the Kodak shutter, the hog feeder, the road grader, and iceless refrigerator, the potato picker and many others that in our short residence in this community, we may not have heard of.
Now comes forth F. G. Brewer, a citizen whom we are proud to claim, with a potato cutter, all built, patented and perfected to the stage where it can be manufactured for the user. Realizing that we cannot do justice to a description of this machine and its outstanding strong points, we will merely touch upon the high points and leave a complete description until a later date when we will publish a picture of the machine and can tell our readers in a way in which they can better understand, all about Mr. Brewer's potato cutter.
It is power driven, the potatoes being fed into the machine, not pushed in as in the manner with most such machines on the market. The potatoes may be cut in halves, quarters or eighths, as the feeder sees fit, by merely feeding them into a different set of knives.
The machine is at present at the Thompson blacksmith shop, where it was constructed and Mr. Thompson will be only too glad to tell you all about it.

April 16, 1925

All the teachers of the Hunter public schools returned Saturday and Sunday after spending their Easter vacation at their respective homes, Miss Crummy at Calvin, Miss Douglas at Gilby, Miss Swanson at Page, Miss Stein at Tower City, Miss Larson at Hendrum, Minn., Miss Fuller at Fargo, and Sam Groth at Mayville.

Charlie Tubbs Claimed as Grim Reaper Victim

To a grain buyer the term “cut-off” has a special significance. Charlie Tubbs, as he was affectionately known, had made the cut-off at the Cargill Elevator in Hunter for twenty three years, but on Tuesday night, the Divine Powers made the cut-off and Charlie Tubbs has passed to a reward earned by unrelenting devotion to right and justice and clean, upright living.
Deceased was taken ill last week but despite his illness insisted upon remaining at his post, giving in, only when his physical condition became such that he could no longer hold up his head.
Death came to relieve his suffering shortly after midnight, Tuesday, and today he is being laid to rest, where friendly winds shall whisper over his grave and where loving hands may add fresh flowers to the mound that covers all that remains of his physical being.
Services will be conducted today (Friday) from the house at 2:30 p.m. with the Masonic order in charge, following the services at the house. Rev. J. H. Black, pastor of the Presbyterian church, will be the pastor in charge.
Deceased came to Hunter about thirty-four years ago, engaging in the mercantile business for about ten years, following which he became buyer for the Cargill Elevator Co., which position he held until his death.
In our next issue we will give a complete obituary of the life of this good man.

Bohnsack Child Dies in Fargo Hospital

Dale Radebaugh, five year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. Radebaugh of Bohnsack died in a Fargo hospital on Saturday of peritonitis.
Funeral services were held in the Centerville church Tuesday afternoon, where Mrs. W. C. Sage brought consolation to the bereaved ones with her comforting sermon. The Centerville choir sang very feelingly. Blanch Peterson had charge of the choir. Burial was made in the Hunter cemetery.
Besides the parents six brothers and sisters survive.

Freak Gust of Wind Does Damage at Grandin

A freak tornado like gust of wind wrecked a number of wagons, birders and other machinery at the W. J. McCoy farm here 2:30 p. m. yesterday. The machines were piled into a heap and damaged to the extent of $300. They were covered by insurance and an adjustment has been made.

Hunter Boy Becomes Slope County Agent

Harry M. Critchfield of this city, a graduate of the N. D. A. C. became county agent of Slope County this week, succeeding Charles Eastgate, who resigned to become secretary of the Dickinson Association of Commerce. Harry's many friends here will be pleased to learn of his new appointment.

April 23, 1925

Ed. W. Johnson Dead After Short Illness; Funeral Held Sunday

Greenfield Pioneer Succumbs to Attack of Kidney Trouble; Was Ill Ten Days
Funeral services were held on Sunday afternoon at the Presbyterian church in this city for Ed. W. Johnson, pioneer, who passed away on Thursday, April 16, at his home near Greenfield, after suffering for a number of days with kidney trouble. Deceased was 64 years, 8 months, and 10 days of age at the time of death. Kind hands administered to him during his illness but his life's work was done and well done. He was relieved of his suffering at 6:52 Thursday evening, just as the sun was taking its final dip in the west. While he had been suffering kidney disorders for some time it was not known that his ailment was of a serious nature until about ten days before his death.
Left to mourn his death are his widow, six sons, two daughters and two grandchildren. Death had visited the family circle before and had taken one son, one daughter and one granddaughter.
A short service was held from the home at 1:30 Sunday afternoon after which the remains were taken to Hunter where services were held in the Presbyterian church, with Rev. J. H. Blany officiating. The six sons acted as pallbearers. The Presbyterian choir sang very feelingly “Neer'er My God to Thee” and “God Be With You Until We Meet Again.” He was laid to rest in the Hunter cemetery beside his son, daughter and granddaughter.
Chas. A Tubbs, Well Known Hunter Man Dies Last week it was our sad duty to chronicle the passing of Charles A. Tubbs, long a respected citizen of Hunter. That our readers may know more of the life of our departed beloved citizen we are herewith publishing a few facts in connection with his life.
Chas. A. Tubbs was born July 12, 1857, at River Falls, Wisconsin, where he grew to manhood. Died at Hunter, N. D. April 14, 1925, aged 67 years, 9 months and 2 days.
In 1881 he went to Traverse county, Minn., coming in 1887 to N. D., where he married Cora Hunter of Viroqua, Wis., in 1892, bringing his bride to reside in Hunter, where he was already established in mercantile business.
Two children were born to them, McKinley and Doris, both having married and now residing in Los Angeles, California.
After having disposed of his mercantile interests in 1902, he became associated with the Cargill Elevator Co., as local buyer and retained that position until his death.
Mr. Tubbs joined the Masonic order when 21 years of age at Brown's Valley, Minn., and was a charter member of the Hunter lodge. His long standing membership entitled him to membership in the Masonic Veteran's association of which he became a member in 1921 at Fargo, N. D.

Besides his wife and children, two brothers and one sister are left to mourn his loss.
May 7, 1925

Fire Destroys Granary on Hanrahan Place

The Hunter Fire Department was called upon about 11 o'clock Thursday morning to assist in fighting a fire on the P. J. Hanrahan farm, 5 miles north of Hunter. The fire which started from a small oil stove used to heat a chicken brooder completely destroyed the granary in which the brooder was located and its entire contents, about 200 bushels of grain and some ninety little chicks.
It was only with the greatest difficulty that the fire was kept from spreading to the adjoining buildings and but for the heroic work of the many who came in to help, the other buildings would have been destroyed.

May 14, 1925

Miss Fuller Weds, Heap Big Surprise

Friends of Miss Helen Fuller, popular high school teacher, were surprised to learn on Sunday of her marriage the day previous at Fargo to Mervil Peightal of Fargo.
The ceremony was witnessed by only the immediate members of the families and was performed by Rev. J. H. Black, pastor of the local Presbyterian church. The group is known to quite a few Hunter people, having visited here on different occasions. He will graduate this spring from the N. D. A. C. receiving the masters degree.
At the close of the school year at Hunter the bride will join her husband at Fargo where they will reside at least until fall.
The Herald joins a host of friends in wishing them the greatest degree of happiness.

June 4, 1925

Argusville Young Folks Wedded May 30th

Announcement has been made of the marriage of Miss Mae Schwartz, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Adam Schwartz of Argusville, and Victor Campbell of the same place. The wedding took place at high noon, May 30, at the home of the bride's parents, the Rev. Mr. Moore of Casselton officiated. Intimate friends and family members witnessed the ceremony. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell left Saturday afternoon for a short visit to the twin cities and points in the east and are to be at home on Mr. Campbell's farm at Amenia after July 1. Mrs. Campbell has been engaged in nursing in Fargo for some time.

July 2, 1925

Bayard-Gallup Wedding

A quiet wedding was solemnized at Mott, N. D., at the congregational church parlors, Tuesday morning, June 30th when Annie Louise Bayard of Bradley, S. D., became the bride of Thomas W. Gallup of New England. They were attended by Miss Bernice Bayard and Mr. Glen Bowman. Mrs. Gallup is a daughter of Mrs. Bayard of Bradley and Mr. Gallup is the eldest son of Mrs. Gallup of New England. The bride wore a gown of tan with accessories to match. The happy couple left at once for Bismarck where they will spend a few days after which they will return to New England to make their home and where Mr. Gallup is engaged in farming.
Mrs. Gallup is a former Arthur and Hunter girl and has many friends here who wish the young couple success and happiness.

September 3, 1925

Hunter Pioneer Passes Away

Funeral services were conducted on Thursday, September 3, for Clarence Levi Thompson, beloved Hunter resident for many years who died at his home on Tuesday September 1, after an illness of three weeks. Pneumonia was the cause of death. Services were conducted at the M. E. church, the sermon being preached by Rev. Tourtelotte of Edgeley, formerly a pastor of the Hunter church and a close friend of the deceased. Pallbearers were John Wergin, John Russell, J. C. Richardson, Will Fisk, Chas. Collins and J. H. McMullen. The many floral offerings placed on the bier spoke the esteem and love shown for the good man.
Deceased was born at Forestville, Ia. in November, 1854 so was approaching his 71st year of life. He resided there until he was 12 when he moved with his parents to Glencoe, Minn. At the age of 21 he entered the blacksmith business in partnership with his father. He was married in Glencoe 48 years ago, a few years after which he moved to Faulkton, S. D. where he engaged in the implement business with his brother. Resided there about ten years, then moving to Minneapolis for a short while, thence to Montana.
33 years ago he came to this village and had resided here ever since. Worked at the blacksmith trade here for two years in the employ of John Muir and then went into business for himself. With his son Ralph he was still engaged in this business at the time of his death and until the last several months had been active in the work. Deceased had served on the village board and as Justice of the Peace and belonged to the Yeoman and Workmen lodges.
He is survived by his widow and one son, Ralph E. One other son, Bert, died in 1915. Also left to mourn for him are three brothers, all residing in Minneapolis and one of whom is at death's door. There are also five sisters, four living in South Dakota, one in Minnesota.

September 17, 1925

Little Clayton Collins Died Here Wednesday

Funeral services were held at the Presbyterian church, Friday, September 11 for Clayton, a young son of Mr. and Mrs. W. D. Collins, who died on Wednesday, September 9, following an illness which had its beginning last winter but which for the past several weeks had abated so much that hope was held out for his ultimate recovery. Clayton was two years, five months old at the time of his death. Besides his parents, two little sisters are left to mourn his untimely departure. Four little girls acted as flower bearers at the funeral as follows: Bernice Johnson, Gertrude Mikkelson, Lucille and Jean Walker. Pallbearers were: Gerhard Rasmussen, Chester Collins, Raymond Koehler and Kenneth Thompson.

October 8, 1925

Local Man has Accident on Crossing

An accident which might have ended seriously occurred here Tuesday morning.
Peter Hoy, local Standard Oil Man, was crossing the tracks from the west when he was struck by the north-bound passenger train.
The front of the truck was badly wrecked and Peter Hoy was cut about the face and head by flying glass.
Taken from the Hunter Paper, 38 years ago The town of Hunter, Cass Co., Dakota, is twenty miles north of Casselton and twenty one miles south of Mayville, on the St. Paul M. & M. Ry., in the heart of the Red River Valley and boasts of the finest locations of any town in No. Dak., surrounded by the finest agricultural land in the world. The first settlement was made in the fall of 1879 since such time vast improvements made are a source of wonder to our settlers, as well as a source of just pride. The first railroad north from the Northern Pacific came past this point during the summer of 1880, when only a few shanties scattered over the vast prairies denoted the advance of civilization. Of our townships, with Hunter as the center, but seventy-five acres was broken up in 1879. Since then thousands of acres have been added to our cultivated fields each year, until our crops have turned to bear about 300,000 bu. of wheat per annum, where a few years ago was a wilderness, now all is activity and push, our people are composed of various nationalities but, all are thoroughly Americanized and vie with each other with push and enterprise. We need a bank, a grist mill, shoe shop, and several other things, including brick yard, a location of which can be obtained of Mr. Muir, adjoining town, where clay, sand and water can be easily obtained. We also need five or six hundred good live Farmers and Business men, and respectively invite an examination of our inducements and resources.

October 15, 1925


William Henry Simmons was born on the 20th day of March 1857, at Sacramento, California. When he was four years of age his father passed away and the mother with the family decided to return east to the State of Vermont and make their home in the town of Quechee, the former family home. In these early years that meant a trip on a vessel down the west coast to the Panama railroad then across the Isthmus by rail and thence shipping again up the eastern coast to Vermont. How little we appreciate the wonderful growth in conveniences of travel since those days. Located at Quechee the family remained there till William had grown into manhood taking advantage of the common schools of the day and age and developing his muscle and character in the problems and labors of the times. At the age of twenty-one he came west and in 1879 located at Casselton, N. Dakota, where William entered the employ of the Northern Pacific Railway. After a short service there he was offered a larger opening at Brainerd, Minn., in the employ of the Express Company, which he accepted and remained with them until he came to Hunter, N. Dak. in 1881 and for eleven years served in the employ of the Railway Company as Agent at the local depot. In 1892 he resigned his position with the Railway Company and became Cashier of what was then the Hunter State Bank, which position he filled successfully for about eighteen years, when he gave up the work and moved to Minnesota making his home in Minneapolis and giving his services to some of the Industrial Companies at the center until he retired from business activities some years ago.
On December 26, 1886, he was married to Miss Marian Muir of Hunter and to this union six children were born, Juliet, Marjorie, Frederick, Dorothy, Mathilda and Helen all of whom are actively engaged in business life in the State of Minnesota, except Frederick who was called to his rest a few years since.
For the past two years Mr. Simmons has been in rather poor health but able to attend to business affairs, making an extended visit with the old friends at Hunter, then returning home again he was attacked with a slight stroke of paralysis which he was unable to throw off and on October 6th, 1925, entered into rest. A short service was held in the home by his pastor in the city and the body was shipped to Hunter, where the funeral, conducted by Rev. J. H. Black, was held in the Methodist church, as the Presbyterian was unfitted for use because it is undergoing repairs.
Mr. Simmons will be greatly missed. He was one of those steady, loving, resourceful characters, conservative yet successful, whose word was a good and as reliable as gold. In his quiet way he followed out the scriptural injunction (let not thy left hand know what they right hand doeth) and unselfishly, and sympathetically many a needy one received timely aid. More than once to the church came mysteriously some article of needed equipment but the secret lay with him. A home maker, bountiful provider, faithful and loving with family and friends. A public servant, and a citizen, honored and respected by all. He leaves to mourn his loss a wife, five children above named, one sister, Mrs. J. H. Gale, last of the family living, and a host of friends.

Local Passenger Jumps Track

On Wednesday evening of this week the local passenger train coming into Mayville hit a cocked switch which caused the engine and two coaches to jump the track.
The engine tipped slowly on its side, giving the engineer and fireman time to jump clear.
The baggage coach was left standing cross ways on the track, with two wheels in the ditch and two on the track, and the passenger coach was standing on the ties.
No one was hurt, due probably to the fact that the train was going very slow, as they were in the Mayville yards.
The Portland train being in Portland at the same time as the wreck happened, was held there, and passengers and baggage from the wrecked train were taken over in buses and then taken to Fargo.
A rescue train from Casselton and a wrecking train from Grand Forks came to the scene, and about 10:30 had the train back on the track and again it was on its way on its regular run.
October 22, 1925


There passed into rest in her seventy-fourth year Mrs. Sarah Celestine Lincoln, widow of Edwin H. Lincoln.
Mrs. Lincoln was born in Sherburn, Vermont, May 9th, 1851, and was united in marriage to Edwin H. Lincoln June 2, 1875, who preceded her to the eternal home by four years.
There were six children of this union, four of which survive her.
Harry. L. Lincoln of Fargo, Celestine H. Lincoln of Hunter, George Leonard Lincoln of Rose Valley and Mrs. Caroline Lincoln Hughes of Hunter.
The funeral service was held in the Methodist Church Saturday October 17th at 2 p.m. Rev. Black conducted the service and Rev. Sage assisting.
Her body was laid to rest in the Rose Valley cemetery beside those who were so dear to her.
Among those from out of town who attended the funeral were: Mrs. E. A. Ferguson, Mrs. Stella McMillan, Mrs. Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Frances, all of Fargo, and Mr. Dwight Potter of Casselton.
Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln were among the early settlers having come to this locality in 1881, and settled on a farm south and east of Hunter, and where they remained until coming to town in 1913.
Mrs. Lincoln was an intelligent and energetic personality. She maintained a lively interest in the affairs of the family, the church and the community up to the very last.
Hers was not the fate of the self-centered, though she had been a shut-in for several months. Her thoughts and interest in others was ever in evidence.
She will be missed and especially by those who so tenderly cared for her in her last declining days.
I cannot say and I will not say that she is dead. She is just away. Think of her as the same. I say she is not dead, she is just away.

November 5, 1925

Extensive Improvements on Old Knight Farm

The old Knight Farm, which is now owned by the Twin City Tractor Company, has been the scene of extensive building operation this summer and fall.
There has been erected so far the following buildings, an implement shed, 106 feet by 42 feet, a sheep shed 94 feet by 42 feet, a tractor room 26 feet by 20 feet, and a blacksmith shop 18 feet by 18 feet.
Besides these buildings which are now completed, there are now in process of construction or will be within the next few days, a hog house 84 feet by 32 feet and a cattle barn 130 feet by 40 feet.
At the present writing they have on the farm, 122 cattle, most of which are high grade feeding stock and 73 hogs besides the horses which are used about the farm. No sheep are on the farm yet, as their house is being used as a cattle barn until the completion of their building.
This farm is to be used as a demonstration farm for the Twin City Co., and one can tell by the way that they are starting out, that they believe in diversified farming. This we believe is the only way to farm as it puts back into the land something for what one takes out of it.
The genial manager, Mr. Rankin, informs us that the building is being done by the boys, who have worked there without the aid of any regular builder and in our estimation they are doing an A-1 job. When you are out driving sometime go around that way and don't forget to look in as this farm is getting to be one of the most modern farms of this community.

November 12, 1925


On Friday November 6, 1925, Mrs. Robert Morris, the wife of one of the early pioneers of Traill County, passed away after a long and useful life. She was married March 13, 1856 at Goderich, Ontario, Canada, and came to Galesburg where she settled on a farm with her husband, who preceded her in death about 12 years.
She leaves to mourn her loss, one daughter, Anna, and two sons, Delbert and James, who reside on the home place near Galesburg.
The funeral was held at the home on Monday November 9, at 10 a.m. Rev. Black of Hunter and Galesburg and Rev. Johnson of Mapleton, her former pastor, officiated. Her brother James McManus of Goderich, Ont., attended the funeral. Interment was at Wheatland, N. D.

New Concern in Hunter

Mr. O. A. Ford has recently bought a half interest in the hardware business owned by Gale Carr & Co.
They have organized a stock company with J. H. Gale President, H. H. Carr Vice President, and O. A. Ford Secretary-Treasurer and manager. The name of the new company is the Ford Hardware Co.
Mr. Ford has an option on the other half interest and expects to take that over at a later date.
This is not a new experience for Mr. Ford as he was manager of the department for 11 years, while it was owned by Gale Carr and Company. He also owned a hardware store at Hanlantown, Iowa, for 9 years previous to his association with Gale Carr & Co. here.
Surprise Party, Mr. and Mrs. Sage Severely Pounded The Methodist church was the scene of a festive gathering last Thursday night, when a hundred or more people came together to welcome the return of Rev. and Mrs. Sage.
While the mid-week service was being held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Turner, the crowd assembled in the church basement. On their return from Prayer Meeting, Mr. and Mrs. Sage wondered what was going on at the church, and decided to investigate. Then came the surprise.
It was so complete, and unsuspected, that the recipients were taken absolutely unawares when the crows shouted A SURPRISE.
Then came THE POUNDING, and they were jammed, and jellied, and pickled, and preserved, and honeyed and sugared, and chickened, and meated, and literally squashed, yet not a bit sore, just speechless.
After an hour of social intercourse and numerous games, delightful refreshments were served, and the jelly gathering came to a close.
The many expressions of welcome, and good will, as well as the bountiful donations, were most thoroughly appreciated by both Mr. and Mrs. Sage, who say, we are glad we live in Hunter.

November 26, 1925


Peter Holtse and Martha Madsen were united in marriage on Saturday November 21st. The couple will make their home near Hunter. They are both known well by everyone here. The Herald wishes them a happy married life.
On Tuesday evening twelve auto loads of people drove out to their place and shivareed them, they brought the couple to town where a delicious lunch was had and a general good time was had for a few hours.

December 31, 1925

Automobile Accident Near Greenfield

What might have been a very serious accident occurred Monday night about 12 o'clock just in front of the Hans Piehl farm. Mr. John Larsen of Mayville, driving a new Buick Sedan, skidded on the road and striking a rut overturned in the ditch on the west side of the road.
All of the windows on the left side of the car were broken out and the fenders and the top on that side were damaged. There were five people in the car at the time, two men and three women. They were returning from Fargo where they had been shopping.
One of the women apparently had a collar bone broken. The other two women had small bruises on their faces, the strength of the top of the sedan probably preventing worse injuries.
Wherever there are trees along the road, the frost seems to settle down and glaze the road so that it is very easy to lose control of one's car even going at a moderate rate of speed.
Shivaree on Mr. Mrs. Walter Willison On Monday night about 75 people gathered at the Bovaird home 9 miles northeast of Hunter at a party in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Willison. Mr. Willison is a brother of Steve Willison and Mrs. Willison was formerly Miss Vera Bovaird.
Those present danced or played cards until 12 o'clock when a luncheon was served cafeteria style. A silver offering was taken up and presented to the young couple. Mr. Willison responded briefly. After this there was more dancing until the early hours of the morning, when all went home declaring that they had a very good time.
The Herald joins with their friends in wishing them a long, happy and

Obituary of Wm. Korup William Adolph Korup was born February 9th, 1861 in Denmark.
In his native land he grew into manhood giving himself to the work of the day. He came to this country in 1891 and remained for five years when he returned to his native land and spent five years and then came back here to make his home.
In 1895 he was married to Anna Jorgensen and to this union eight children were born, five boys and three girls-Mrs. Ed Halida, Carla, Carl, Olga, Fred, Oscar, Harry and Walter.
While in this country Mr. Korup followed the Agricultural industry and was a faithful servant in all his work. After a lingering illness he passed away to his rest December 23, 1925. He was well known and highly respected in this community as a citizen and a man. He leaves to mourn his loss his wife and family with a host of friends. The funeral was held on Christmas day at the Presbyterian church, conducted by the Pastor J. H. Black.

Fire at Ed. Severson Home

On Sunday morning the fire company was called at 9:00 o'clock to the Ed. Severson home. An overheated stove pipe running through the floor had set fire to some paper which was near it in the children's room.
The fire was soon put out and damage was only done in the one room. Quick action by our fire department saved the house from burning.

2011 Copyrighted and Contributed by Steven Pueppke

Newspaper Extractions Index
Back to the Cass County, NDGenWeb