Hunter News 1926 Hunter Herald

Hunter News
1929 Hunter Herald

July 12, 1929

Fire at the Coughlin Farm the Morning After

After a hilarious day the Fourth, our town was awakened at an early hour on the 5th by the clanging of the fire bell. Amid yawning and rubbing of eyes, and in various stages of attire the fire brigade rushed out to the Jack Coughlin farm north of town, where a fire had started from the chimney. To increase the excitement, something happened to the pump, so no water was available for the time being. But according to reports, through the presence of mind of a member of the force the fire, which could have proven very destructive, was extinguished with a pail full of milk.

July 19, 1929

Kenneth McLean of Argusville Dies

Kenneth McLean, 47, prominent merchant at Argusville for many years, died at his home Thursday at 1:45 p.m. after an illness of several months with Bright's disease. He had been confined to his bed for four months.
He was born in Ripley, Ontario, Dec. 4, 1881, and came to North Dakota in 1883 with his parents, settling at Wheatland. Moving to Argusville in 1900, he had conducted a general store with his brother, J. B. McLean since.
He was a member of the Modern Woodmen, having served as clerk of the order at Argusville since 1918. Surviving is his mother, Mrs. Margaret McLean, with whom he made his home, three brothers, M. J. McLean, Wheatland; L. D. McLean, Hunter, and the brother with whom he was associated in business; three sisters, Mrs. William Veitch, Argusville; Miss Allena McLean, Fargo and Mrs. R. A. Stirling, Gardner, and several nephews and nieces. Funeral services will be held at the Argusville Presbyterian church at 1 p. m. Sunday, with burial in Wheatland. Fargo Forum.

Infant Daughter of T. Hanson Passes Away

Josephine Louise, the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thervold Hanson died on Saturday, July 13, at the age of two months. The funeral was held from the Axel Hanson home on Sunday afternoon, Rev. Hoeger of Arthur officiating. Text was taken from the Romans, 6th chapter, 23rd verse. Flower girls were Dorothy, Sylvia, and Ellen Otteson and Lucille Hanson.

Halverson-Berger Nuptials Announced

Announcements have been received in Fargo of the marriage of Miss Stella Berger, Fort Ransom, N. D., and Elmer J. Halverson, Forest City, Iowa. Rev. A. H. Berger, father of the bride, officiated.
The couple was attended by Miss Emma Halverson, Forest City, sister of the bridegroom, and Herman Berger, Lisbon, brother of the bride.
The services were read on the lawn of the Berger home and a wedding dinner was served to 26 guests.
Mr. and Mrs. Halverson will make their home in Little Falls, Minn., where Mr. Halverson is engaged in Smith-Hughes work. During the last two years they have been members of the faculty of the Hunter, N. D., school. Fargo Forum.

August 9, 1929


Robert Quiggle, formerly of Barnesville, Minn., but recently residing with his son, George, of Hunter, N. Dak., passed quietly away Saturday morning, Aug. 3. Having gradually failed in health during the summer months, he very peaceably died at the age of 84 years, death being due to heart trouble. He was born at Hartfield, Ohio, March 7, 1845. At the age of 7 years he came with his parents to Minnesota. At the age of 17, he enlisted as a soldier of the Civil War, serving until the close of war, when he received an honorable discharge. On October 14, 1868, he was united in marriage to Elizabeth Fitzpatrick of Otisca, Minn. To this happy union were born nine children, two having preceded him in death, Mrs. Arthur Williams and Mrs. Archie Robbins. He leaves to mourn his loss, besides his widow, Mrs. John McNamus, Hollywood, Calif., Mrs. Will Ranger, Tacoma, Wash., Mrs. John Mallinger, Ada, Minn., Mrs. Andrew Stempson, Sabin, Minn., George Quiggle, Hunter, N. Dak., Will Quiggle, Johnston, Wash., and Walter Quiggle, Baker, Minn. He also leaves 52 grandchildren and 30 great grandchildren. Two brothers still survive him, Corwin Quiggle, Blue Earth, Minn., and Milton Quiggle, Pelican Rapids, Minn. Those from out of town who attended the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. John Mallinger, Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Stempson and family, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Quiggle, and Mr. and Mrs. Milton Quiggle and family. Funeral services were held Monday morning at 11 o'clock from St. Agnes church at Hunter, N. Dak., and interment was made in the Hunter cemetery.

August 16, 1929


Marie Erickson was born February 23, 1884, in Foldaten, Norway. In the spring of 19xx she came with her parents to the farm near Galesburg. On July 15, 1904, she was united in marriage to Louis Moen, and to this union were born five children, all of whom are living. Mrs. Moen had been gradually failing in strength for several years, as she had contacted that dread disease, tuberculosis. She passed away on Aug. 6, 1929, at her farm home about 7 miles southeast of Hunter at the age of 45 years. She leaves to mourn her departure, her husband, Louis Moen, her children Emma, Magna, Mrs. T. Hanson, Randolph and Lester of Hunter, her mother, Mrs. Marie Erickson, and a brother, Einer of Clifford, and a brother, Peter E. Marken, of Santa Cruz, Calif., and her grand-daughter, Mabel Moen. Mrs. L. D. McLean Meets With Accident

Mrs. L. D. McLean was one of the number in an auto accident which occurred about 150 miles from Aberdeen. Mrs. McLean and four others were driving in a Ford from Milwaukee to Aberdeen. The lady driver, thinking she had a flat tire, intended to stop the car, but instead of stepping on the brake, she stepped on the gas. The car turned over three times, and landed squarely on its wheels. All occupants except the driver were rendered unconscious, and one girl received a cut on her right arm which necessitated 10 stitches. The car was damaged to the extent of one broken window and a caved in top. A garage man from the nearest town, about nine miles distant, came and took them to the town, and from there the party continued the trip to Aberdeen in their own car.

August 23, 1929
Announcement Made of Coming Marriage

Miss Casendana Stafford and Alonzo Piehl to Be Married in Sept.

Announcement of the approaching marriage of Miss Cassendana Marie Stafford, daughter of Mrs. Fred Mikkelson, and Alonzo J. Piehl, son of Mrs. H. Piehl, was made at a birthday party given for Miss Stafford by her mother Monday afternoon. Guests at the affair were intimate school friends of the bride-elect. Wednesday Sept. 11, the date of the wedding, was revealed in tiny diplomas which served as place cards for the two-course luncheon. Garden flowers were used in the table appointments. Both Miss Stafford and Mr. Piehl are well known to people of this community. Miss Stafford is a graduate of the Hunter High School and the Minette Beauty School, and Mayville State Teacher's College. Last year she taught in the Dist. No. 121 school. Mr. Piehl who has lived here since boyhood, was graduated from the Hunter High School.

Local Meat Market Changes Hands

The local meat marker opened doors for business on Thursday morning under new management, through a deal whereby Mr. Jorgenson of Erie, and Mr. Weidenhoff of Page, became the owners of the business formerly owned by Art. Rasmussen. A large showcase with a cooling system has been installed, and the various cuts of meat are displayed therein. They carry a full line of fresh and cured meats, and will be able to meet your demands in this line. Mr. Weidenhoff will take charge of the meat market here, as Mr. Jorgenson will be in Erie. The Weidenhoff family will locate here in the near future. The Times joins the community in extending a hearty welcome to our new business men, and wish them success in this venture. See their announcement in another page in this issue of the Times.

August 23, 1929

Pioneer Settler Answers Summons

William Baldock, Pioneer Settler of Greenfield Township, Dies

William Baldock, 59-year-old pioneer settler in Greenfield township, died at his home Tuesday afternoon, Aug. 13, following an illness of a year's duration. Mr. Baldcock who has lived in this community for nearly 40 years, was born June 2, 1870, in Lincolnshire, Hall, England. At the age of 19, he came to America. Shortly after this, he journeyed to North Dakota where he engaged in agriculture. Thirty-six years ago, on Sept. 18, 1893, he married Miss Eliza Ann Smith and moved to a farm in Greenfield township. The deceased was well known in this community as an earnest, progressive farmer and a fine, likeable man and neighbor. His only fraternal affiliation was with the Blanchard Camp, No. 2773, of the Modern Woodmen of America. Surviving Mr. Baldock are his wife, one daughter, Bertha Hutchinson, Blanchard; four sons, George, Herbert, Frank, and James of Blanchard; and one son, Joseph, of Hunter. Other relatives mourning his loss are two grandchildren, two sisters and one brother who lives in England, and two nephews, Harry and Richard Christian of Fargo. Funeral services were conducted in the Methodist Episcopal church of Hunter at 3 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 15. Preceding this ceremony were services at the Baldock farm for family members and intimate friends. The Rev. W. J. Medland officiated at the funeral. Pallbearers included W. H. Stewart, Peter McLachlin, John Kettleson, Andrew Dierdahl, Heming Halvorson, and Peter Wadine. Interment was made in the Hunter cemetery.

September 6, 1929

Former Hunter Resident Killed

Al Harmon Struck by Car On Road Near Wyndmere Last Friday
Al Harmon, about 25 years of age, who with his parents formerly resided in Hunter, and who was a graduate of the Hunter high school, was killed Friday when struck by a car on the road near Wyndmere. Harmon, who was a Frigidaire salesman for the Hintgen-Karst Electrical company at Wahpeton, was on his way to Valley City to get his wife and child. He was fixing a tire and was standing on the edge of the road when struck. The occupants of the car by which he was struck, four Haas sisters of Lidgerwood, were bruised and cut when their car turned over into the ditch. They told officials at Wyndmere they had been blinded by the headlights of a car coming from the opposite direction. Besides his wife and child, Mr. Harmon is survived by a number of brothers and sisters and his parents, of Amenia. Funeral services were held Monday at 2 p.m. in the Methodist church at Wahpeton, and the body was sent to Towner, the home of Mrs. Harmon, for burial.

September 13, 1929

W. C. Muir of Hunter Dead

Cass County Pioneer Died At His Fargo Home Tuesday Afternoon
William C. Muir, 65, 315 fifth st. N., pioneer resident of Cass County and son of the late Walter Muir, well known North Dakota politician of early days, died at his home shortly after noon Tuesday of heart disease from which he had been suffering for several months. Mr. Muir came to Cass County with his father about 45 years ago, settling on a farm near Hunter, and had resided there and in the town of Hunter until coming to Fargo. In addition to owning considerable farm land in the vicinity of Hunter, he was engaged in the real estate business. His father moved to North Dakota from Minnesota, where he served in the state legislature from 1876 to 1879. While in Cass county the elder Muir was nominated by the Prohibition and Independent parties for governor of North Dakota, was a candidate of the Independent and Democratic parties for congress and was three times a candidate for U. S. senator, losing out the third time by only four votes. The son continued to operate the Muir farm holdings in the Hunter area, but moved to Fargo some time ago in order to obtain medical treatment. Surviving are his widow, two sons, Stanton C. Muir, Fargo, and William H. Muir, New York; one sister, Mrs. William H. Simmons, Minneapolis, and one brother, Robert W. Muir, Chicago. Funeral services will be held Thursday at 2 p.m. in Hunter, with burial in the Presbyterian church cemetery. - Fargo Forum.

Dr. Biehl Married At Dubuque, Iowa

Dr. N. V. Biehl and Miss Apolonia R. Thillmann of Dubuque, Iowa, were married at that place on Tuesday, September 3. After a wedding trip during which they visited Chicago, Minneapolis, Duluth and Superior, they arrived in Hunter Sunday evening, and will make their home here, Dr. Biehl having established the local dentist office several months ago.

Frank Burley Injured

Frank Burley was painfully injured while at work plowing with a tractor on the Carr farm. The tractor had been left in gear and backed over Mr. Burley's right foot, crushing it quite badly. He is under Dr. Richter's care at this writing.

Local Young Couple Married This Week

Cassendana Stafford and Alonzo Piehl Married Last Wednesday
With members of the two families and intimate friends in attendance, Cassendana Marie Stafford, daughter of Mrs. Cassendana Mikkelson, Hunter, N. D., became the bride of Mr. Alonzo James Piehl, son of Mrs. Hans Piehl, at a pretty home wedding Wednesday. Following a solo “I Love You Truly,” sung beautifully by a sister of the bride, Mrs. Harold Garrett, with Miss Lucille Colvin at the piano and Miss Etta Douglas with violin accompaniment, the ceremony was performed by Rev. H. L. Taylor of the Presbyterian church. At the wedding dinner covers were laid for 35, with garden flowers and pink tapers used in the table decorations. Mrs. Piehl was attended by Miss Marian Kennedy and Mrs. Piehl by Mr. Nathan Collins. Mrs. Piehl was gowned in a chic blue satin with Queen Anne collar and flare skirt. She wore a corsage bouquet of roses and lilies of the valley. The bride has lived in Hunter all her life and is a graduate from that high school. She holds a certificate from the Minette Beauty Shop. After attending the Mayville Normal, she devoted the past year to teaching. The bridegroom is also a lifelong resident of the Hunter community and a graduate of the local high school. The young couple will motor to Ellendale on their wedding trip. Upon their return they will make their home in Fargo, N. D. (contributed)

September 20, 1929


William Cyrus Muir was born May 9, 1869, at Berlin, Steele County, Minnesota. His parents were Walter Muir and Lois L. (Wheelock) Muir. When he was eleven years old he moved with his family to Hunter, North Dakota. He took an active part in conquering the raw prairies of which North Dakota was at that time composed. He learned to farm by actual experience with frontier conditions and learned it so well that he was in active charge of his father's farm before he attained his majority. He took advantage of the somewhat restricted educational opportunities afforded by the community at that time, after which he attended Pillsbury Academy, in Minneapolis, Minn., in preparation for a university course. This he took at the University of Minnesota, graduating in 1894 with a B. A. Degree. During his academy and university life he was very active in athletic circles. After competing his schooling he returned to Hunter and was superintendent of the school there for several years. Later he was assistant superintendent of schools for Cass County. In 1895 he married Myrtle Finch of Berlin, Minn., and they made their home in Hunter and vicinity for over thirty years. Three children were born to this union, Stanton C. Muir of Fargo, North Dakota; William H. Muir, who now resides in New York City; and Lois Irene Muir, who died at the age of fourteen years. During the remaining years of his active life he was engaged in selling real estate and in extensive farming operations. About five years ago he left Hunter and spent the remaining years of his life in Chicago, Illinois, Biloxi, Mississippi, and New York City, returning to Fargo, North Dakota, a year ago. After several months of illness he died September 10 of heart disease. He was in his sixtieth year. He is survived by his wife and two sons. A brother, Robert W. Muir of Chicago, and a sister, Mrs. W. H. Simmons of Minneapolis, also survive him. He was a member of the Presbyterian church of Hunter and of the Masonic and Odd Fellow fraternal orders. Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon, Sept. 12, at the Presbyterian church at Hunter, Rev. Taylor officiating. He was laid to rest by the side of his beloved daughter, Lois, in the Hunter cemetery. The Masons had charge of the burial services. William C. Muir was a man of strong character and magnetic personality, with a wonderful philosophy of life. His genial nature won for him a host of friends. The essential kindliness and nobility of his nature was revealed by the fact that he was beloved by all children with whom he came in contact.

Abbie Rasmussen Injured

Word was received here last week that Abbie Rasmussen, who has been employed at a Wisconsin shipyard, was severely scalded and is confined to a hospital. At the present time nothing definite has been learned at this office concerning his condition. Otto Zellmer Passes Away
Pioneer Settler Passes Away After an Illness of a Year's Duration The death of Otto Zellmer in the early morning of Thursday, Sept. 12th, marks the passing of another old pioneer. About a year ago Mr. Zellmer began to be in ill health and in the early spring submitted to an operation, but complications were such that no permanent relief was gained, and after the months of gradual decline the end came after a few days' of acute illness. Mr. Zellmer was born in Biersdorf, Germany, June 16, 1865, thus being sixty-four years old. He came to the United States when he was eighteen years old and for a time resided in Wisconsin. Later he came to North Dakota and took a homestead in Dows township, six miles west of Hunter, where he lived till almost twenty years ago, when he moved to Hunter. On July 5, 1893, he was united in marriage to Miss Minnie Griese, who died November 29th, 1925. He is survived by the present Mrs. Zellmer and two sisters, Mrs. Herman Meyers of Spokane, Wash., and Mrs. J. H. Wagner of Arthur, N. Dak. Funeral services were held Sunday morning from the Methodist church, Rev. H. L. Taylor, Pastor of the Presbyterian church, and Rev. W. J. Medland of the Methodist church conducting services. Interment was made in the Hunter cemetery.

September 27, 1929

Fire at Gardner Destroys Building A large number of Hunter people autoed to Gardner on Friday of last week following a call for aid from that place. The Mitchell home was set on fire by an explosion of a gasoline stove and because of the high wind all effort was concentrated on saving adjoining residences. The Mitchell home was entirely destroyed by the fire. The furniture in the downstairs alone being saved. The Hunter Fire Department was summoned but due to motor trouble arrived too late to be of any assistance. Silver Wedding Anniversary Last Sunday P.M. Last Sunday afternoon the members of the Lutheran congregation met at the Lodge Hall to celebrate the Silver Wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Skue. A large number was present and they all enjoyed a dinner served in the lodge dining room. Mr. and Mrs. Skue were presented with an appropriate gift by the members of the congregation. Birthday Party at Geo. Quiggle Home Thirty-one relatives gathered at the George Quiggle farm home last Sunday to celebrate at a birthday party, the occasion being “Grandma” Quiggle's 82 birthday anniversary, and also the birthday anniversary of her son, George. The guests arrived in the morning and returned home the same day, all wishing the two guests of honor many more happy birthdays. Mr. and Mrs. Freeman Left for Their New Home Mr. and Mrs. S. B. Freeman left yesterday (Thursday) for Wainsburg, Ohio, to make their future home. En route they will visit relatives at points in Illinois, They will be missed here by their many friends. They have lived in Cass County for a number of years, and are rated as old timers of this section of the state. Their many friends here wish Mr. and Mrs. Freeman the best luck in the world in their new home.

October 4, 1929

Jens Olson Funeral Held Wednesday Funeral services for Jens Olson were held from the Presbyterian Church Wednesday afternoon. Jens Olson was born in Norway October 2, 1851, and passed away at a Fargo hospital on September 30, 1929, at the age of 77 years, 11 months, and 28 days. Taking his family with him he immigrated to this country forty seven years ago. Since coming to America he has lived, with the exception of a year or two, in Minnesota. His wife, two sons, and a daughter have preceded him in death. He leaves to mourn his loss two daughters, Mrs. E. H. Wesnage, Philadelphia, Pa., and Mrs. H. P. Piehl of Hunter, N. Dak.

October 18, 1929

Hunter Visited by Burglars

Thieves Break Into Several Business Places But Not Much Taken Last Friday morning some of our local business managers arrived at their various places of employment to find their buildings had been surreptitiously entered at some time during the preceding night. By means of a basement window the prowlers gained entrance into the building of the Gale Carr Merc. Co., Ford Hardware Co., and the Hamilton Drug Store. An attempt had been made to enter the Young & Bettin Café also, but he plans were either given up or interrupted before entrance was made. It is a general opinion that these night time invaders were local members either bent on creating excitement or obtaining easy money. The extent of theft as far as known being 47 pennies from the Gale Carr Merc. Co. cash register and about $5.00 cash from the drug store. At both these places the thieves emerged through the front entrances. The door at the hardware store, leading to the basement was locked, so they did not reach the ground floor at that place. If the supposition that the thieves were local persons be true, let us mention here that such as it is decidedly against the law of a gentleman and a good citizen. Had the stolen goods amounted to a larger degree, a fingerprint expert would undoubtedly have been obtained to seek out the erring party or parties, and such a fact made public would mean punishment and disgrace for the guilty to say nothing of shame and embarrassment for relatives and friends. But let us hope that it is no Hunterite who would thus lower himself by stooping to thievery, and placing such an example before the Hunter's children.

Young Couple Eloped Last Week

Due to lack of facts, we were unable last week to give an account of an elopement which occurred on Monday evening, Oct. 7. Miss Edith Klassic, of near Page, who has been attending the local high school and also has been assisting at the Dr. Oakes home, left quietly with Mr. Hamm of Minnesota, on that evening. Their marriage license was issued at Moorhead, at which place the wedding probably occurred. At this writing no further word from the newlyweds has been received by Hunter friends.

Local Young People Married

Two of Hunter's Young Men Steal March On Friends This Week

News was received here Monday of a double wedding which occurred on that day, October 14, at Minneapolis, when Miss Mabel McDonough became Mrs. Merland Carr, and her sister, Miss Eva, became Mrs. Alex Moore. The brides, formerly of Amenia, have made their home with their father at Fargo for the past year. The bridegrooms are well and favorably known in this vicinity, having lived here since childhood. Mr. Moore is employed at the State Oil & Auto Co., and Mr. Carr is engaged in operating a farm near Hunter. The Times joins a host of friends in wishing these happy couples every success in the future. We understand that the two families will make their homes in the Goforth residence in the northeast part of town.

Meets With Accident

Mr. J. H. Gale met with an accident on Monday last when his automobile which he was driving slid into a ditch and overturned about a mile north of Arthur. Mr. Gale fortunately escaped without injury. Slight damage was inflicted on the car.

Death Comes to Mrs. J. H. Nesbitt

Dies After Being Confined to Bed For Several Months Of Suffering. A deep sense of sadness came over the village of Hunter, Monday morning when it was learned that Mrs. Nesbitt had passed away. Her death was not unexpected but there seems to be no time we are quite ready to see a neighbor and friend pass on, and each passing impresses on us the consciousness that Hope soon passes into memory. And so at this hour, sympathy of friends is extended to the bereaved ones at a time when hearts are lonely. Mary Jane Mitchell Nesbitt was born at Orangeville, Ontario, Canada, June 26, 1888. When she was a small child the family moved to Hanover, Ontario, where she grew up. She was united in marriage to John Herbert Nesbitt, December 31, 1890. They moved to Grand Rapids, Michigan, in 1893, where they resided until March, 1905, when they came to North Dakota and have been residents of Hunter the greater portion of the time since coming west. Mrs. Nesbitt leaves to mourn her loss her husband and three daughters, Gertrude Mitchell, Mrs. L. C. Collins of Peoria, Ill.; Jennie May, Mrs. F. A. Kiest of Denver, Colorado and Shirley Louella, Mrs. T. E. Meyers of Hunter. Two sisters, Mrs. G. A. Rozel of Kitchener, Ontario, and Mrs. R. E. Richardson of Durham, Ontario, a cousin, Mr. W. R. Mitchell of Hunter, and ten grandchildren also survive. In early youth she became a member of the Methodist church. She also was a member of the Lodge of Royal Neighbors. Her last illness was very painful but nothing was left undone that might bring relief. About two months ago she went to Rochester, Minnesota, and after returning home was taken to St. Luke's Hospital in Fargo where she remained until the end came early in the morning of Monday, October 14. Mrs. Nesbitt will be greatly missed by her many friends. She was always of a quiet and kindly disposition and maintained a steady poise at all times. Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon from the Methodist church, Wm. J. Medland, the pastor, in charge. Interment was made in the Hunter cemetery. Members of the Royal Neighbors were present in a body and had a part in the service at the grave.

October 25, 1929

A Great Improvement

This week we see improvement work being done on the premises of the Gale-Carr Merc. Company. The cream station is being repaired for this winter's use. A radiator is being connected to the furnace by R. L. Hopper and son. The walls, having been lathed by Harry Rasmussen, are now being plastered by F. A. Koehler. Under the supervision of Geo. Quiggle, a force is busily engaged at this writing in laying new cement walks on the west and south of the store building. Under this arrangement there will be a cement floored parking space for cars on the south side of the store. Nels Jacobson Injured Nels Jacobson was taken to St. Luke's Hospital at Fargo last Saturday, having had the misfortune of breaking his hip on Thursday. The manner in which the accident occurred is uncertain, as no one was with Mr. Jacobson at the time, but the belief is that in some way he slipped and fell and was then injured.

Golden Wedding

Mr. and Mrs. Chas. R. Adams celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary Wednesday, Oct. 23. Owing to the short time allowed some of the family members to be absent from their respective duties they held their anniversary dinner on Sunday. The children present were: son Edward and family of Minneapolis, and daughters, Helen and family of Grand Forks, Alice and family of Bottineau, and Elsie and husband of Niagara, N. D. One daughter Susie, of Flint, Mich., and son Gene of Seattle were unable to be present. Mr. and Mrs. Adams received many beautiful gifts from their children.

November 8, 1929

Louis Berg, Formerly of Hunter, Dead

Former Hunter Resident Dies At Veteran's Hospital, Minneapolis Funeral services were held at Ellendale, Minn., Tuesday afternoon for Lewis Berg, who died at the Veterans' Hospital at Minneapolis at 3:20 Saturday morning. Death was caused by actinomycosis of the lower abdominal wall. Lewis had an operation for ruptured appendix a year ago last July and although he recovered sufficiently to be up and around again he never fully regained his health and had been a patient of the Veteran's hospital since last February. Lewis Berg was born on the home farm one mile west of Ellendale, March 17, 1893. He was baptized and confirmed at the Lutheran Church at Ellendale and attended the public schools at Ellendale. During the World War he served in the U. S. army, in Co. B, 3rd Pioneer Infantry. He spent eleven months in France. After his discharge, he moved to the vicinity of Finley, N. D., where he operated a farm for two years. On February 23, 1923, he was united in marriage to Miss Stella Sampson of Finley, N. D. In 1925 they moved to Hunter, N. D., where they made their home. The funeral was held Tuesday at 1:30 o'clock from the home of the deceased's brother, Albert Berg, and at 2 o'clock from the Ellendale Lutheran church and was largely attended. In addition to the regular funeral services, conducted by the pastor, Rev. O. C. Fjelstad, the local post of the American Legion had charge of military honors at the grave. Rev. Fjelstad gave an excellent and comforting sermon which will prove a real solace to the mourning family. Besides his widow, Mr. Berg is survived by seven brothers and four sisters, namely, Arnold and Enoch of Finley, Albert, Edwin, Nels, Henry and Bennett of Ellendale, Mrs. John Schrom of Steele Center, Mrs. Henry Homer of Owatonna, Mrs. Edward Reistad of Hartland and Mrs. J. Berfeldt of Newport, Minn. Under the cross of severe suffering he was patient and held the good will of doctors and nurses. When the suffering became unbearable he found comfort in prayers and at reading the bible. His thoughts were centered on his beautiful heavenly Father, and two weeks before his departure he expressed his eagerness to be at home in Heaved. He will be greatly missed by all who knew him, and especially his wife, brothers and sisters. I. Moen Implement Warehouse Improved This week your attention is called to the I. Moen Implement warehouse. Mr. Moen has made some advantageous changes in the warehouse by laying practically a new floor, moving shelves containing various articles in the line of stock, etc., to the north side, making it more convenient for the company as well as customers to see the articles, as more light is evidenced, also allowing more floor space for machinery. The entire stock is being rearranged to a more convenient position and when completed will be very much up-to-date. If you are in need of machinery or repairs, as well as tires, wrenches etc. you will do well by calling on this company for your needs in this line.

November 15, 1929

Former Hunterites Leave for South

Lloyd Sherritt of Kississing, Manitoba, Canada, arrived at Grandin last Sunday to visit his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Aaron Sherritt, former residents of near Hunter. On Wednesday Lloyd accompanied by his parents and cousin, Dora Sherritt, left by car for Hot Springs, Arkansas, where they will spend the winter months. Miss Sherritt, who is a nurse, came from her home in Ontario some time ago to care for her uncle, Aaron, Sherritt, who suffered a stroke at the that time.

November 22, 1929

Grim Reaper Calls Nels Jacobson Fri.

Nels Jacobson was born in Denmark June 14, 1848. In young manhood he was united in marriage to Miss Dagthe Jorgensen, also of Denmark. To this union were born seven children, five daughters and two sons, all living with the exception of one son who died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Jacobson came to America in 1899 with the two youngest children, Mrs. Otto Otteson and Mrs. P. H. Hoy, the four older children having come to America earlier. Mr. and Mrs. Jacobson celebrated their golden wedding in 1927. Mrs. Jacobson passed away on the 5th of June, 1927. Mr. Jacobson died at Fargo on Friday, Nov. 15. He had been failing in health for some time, and was taken to the hospital about 3 weeks ago when he suffered a broken hip. Funeral services were held Sunday morning from the Presbyterian church, Rev. H. L. Taylor performing the last rites. Surviving Mr. Jacobson are his children, Mrs. Carl Jorgenson, Mrs. Peter Larson, Mrs. Otto Otteson, Mrs. P. H. Hay, and H. J. Jacobson, all of Hunter, N. D., and Mrs. Bernard Krussel of Buchanan, N. D., and also a large number of grandchildren and great grandchildren.

December 6, 1929

Fire Destroys Ayr Farmers Elevator

Fire of undetermined origin today destroyed the Farmers' Co-Operative elevator here with loss estimated at $50,000. The elevator which had a capacity of nearly 80,000 bushels was virtually filled with grain. -Fargo Forum.

December 13, 1929

Cardinals Win From Erie Mon.

The Cardinals Win Hard Fought Battle In Opening Game The Cardinals started the local basketball season agoing last Monday night with a hard earned 26-19 victory over Erie. The Cardinals may be down at the half but they are never out. The Erie team seems to put forth superhuman effort when they play against Hunter, last Monday was no exception. After trailing for most of the game, the “Cards” put on a rally, came from behind and won the game in the last few minutes of play. The local athletes fought hard at this stage of the game which was brought to a close when “Pete” sank after a clever exhibition of basketball on the part of the Cardinals. The Cardinals had many opportunities to score but their shots always seemed to go astray. “Pete” led the offense for the locals with five baskets. Roy led the defense, also scored two baskets, one being of the kind which brought a roar of approval. For Erie Meyers was the outstanding player.
Hunter: Collins, Carr, Neddum, Rasmussen, Brayton, Larson, Ignell.
Erie: Nelson, Carl, Powers, Thompson, Meyers, Dell.
Referee: W. D. Collins

2011 Copyrighted and Contributed by Steven Pueppke

Newspaper Extractions Index
Back to the Cass County, NDGenWeb