Hunter News 1926 Hunter Herald

Hunter News
1930 Hunter Herald

January 10, 1930


Following an illness of several months, Mr. James Bell passed away at his home in Traill county on January 2, 1930, at the age of 75 years, 1 month and 1 day. He is survived by his daughter, Nellie, and two sons, David and Douglas.
Mr. Bell was a member of the Presbyterian church of Scotland, and joined the Woodmen Order in Illinois, transferring his membership to the Hunter lodge, whose members attended the funeral sevices in a large body, the pallbearers being members of the order, Carl Jorgensen, Carl Skue, Louie Frickey, John Richardson, Fred and Otto Otteson. Services at the home and at the Presbyterian church, Hunter, were conducted by Rev. H. L. Taylor, pastor, and at the grave by the Woodmen.
James Bell was born in Forfarshire, Scotland, Dec. 1, 1851, and was the eldest of seven children. He lived with his parents until August, 1883, when he decided to cross the waters to this new world; coming to the United States, he settled in Murry county, Minnesota. In May, 1886, he was united in marriage to Johana Ryan of Wabasha county, Minn. To this union were born five children, three of whom are still living.
Mr. Bell settled on the W. C. Stewart farm, Greenfield township, March 10, 1918, coming from Portland, N. D.
His early training made him a very successful man, a feeder and judge of livestock. His brother, David Bell, is still managing the old farm home in Scotland. James Bell visited his brother, David, and the old home in Scotland during the summer of 1920.
Those attending the funeral services from a distance were: Mrs. Bell's brother-in-law, John Wilkin, and his son, Frank, from Lake Wilson, Minnesota.

January 24, 1930

Laid To Rest

Funeral services for Harold C. Evans, recent instructor in the local high school, were held from his home in Ulen, Minn. on Monday, Jan. 30.
Ten cars from Hunter were driven to Ulen on that day, carrying over a large number of local residents, consisting of members of the school faculty, school board, and high school students, and also several other friends of the deceased. 12 Fraternity brothers of the A. C. of Fargo also attended the services.
The Ulen Lutheran Ladies Aid prepared a generous lunch for these friends of the late Mr. Evans who journeyed over to attend these last rites.
Harold C. Evans was born May 5, 1907, in Ulen, Minn. He is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Evans of Ulen, a brother Osborne at home, and a brother Erwin, of Minneapolis.

January 30, 1930


Robert Stewart, 78, pioneer resident of Cass County, died suddenly about noon Tuesday, following a heart attack. He was at his home, 4 _ miles northeast of Arthur.
Mr. Stewart was born Dec. 15, 1851, at Belfield, Ontario, Can. In 1876 he was married to Sarah Johnson and they came in May, 1879, to Gunkel township, where they homesteaded. Mr. Stewart is the last of the pioneer settlers of that township, having resided on the homestead continuously for over 50 years.
Surviving, besides his widow, are six sons, Robert, Buhl, Idaho, William, Butte, N. D., George, Hazen; Andrew, Thomas and Albert of Arthur; four daughters, Mrs. Geo. Morgan, Page; Mrs. Wilfred Hudson and Mrs. Carlin McAuley of Hunter; Mrs. Ellen Murch, at home. A daughter, Mary, preceded the father in death in 1907. He also leaves a sister in Oregon, three brothers, Isaac, Brinsmade, N. D.; William, Canada; Andrew, Michigan, and 13 grandchildren.
Funeral services were held at 1 o'clock from the home at 2 p.m. from the Methodist Episcopal church at Hunter, Rev. W. J. Medland, pastor, officiating, assisted by the Rev. L. R. Burgum of LaMoure.
Burial was made in the Hunter cemetery.
Farm Home Burned The farm home of Geo. Quiggle, Jr., located 2 miles west of the Geo. Quiggle, Sr. farm, and known as the R. D. Goforth farm, burned to the ground Sunday morning. Nothing was saved as the fire had gained too much headway before it was discovered. Mr. and Mrs. Quiggle were in Minnesota at the time of the fire.

February 7, 1930

Page Pastor In Accident

Priest Thrown From Auto; Rendered Unconscious By Mishap
Pitched from his car into a snow bank, where he lay unconscious while fire broke out in the machine and entirely destroyed it, Rev. J. J. O'Meara, Page, N. D., carries only a few bruises to remind him of his experience Tuesday evening.
His car, with the steering gear apparently becoming out of order, plunged from the highway over the grade and alongside of the bridge that spans the Sheyenne River north of West Fargo.
Father O'Meara was thrown from the machine as it landed in the snow and ice.
When a party of five Casselton men came by shortly afterwards, the machine was in flames, Father O'Meara unconscious in the snow nearby.
The car was being driven about 35 miles an hour when the accident occurred, said the driver who sought vainly to keep it in the road only to see it plunge off the grade, make a leap through the air of nearly 30 feet and crumple in the deep snow, which probably afforded a sufficient cushion to save Father O'Meara from being crushed. Just how he was thrown out of the machine, and when, he doesn't know, for his next recollection is that of being picked out of the snow bank. (Fargo Forum).

March 7, 1930


Sarah E. Lesch, daughter of Albert and Avira Lesch was born at Funk's Gove, McLean County, Illinois, April 17, 1867 and died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Gladys Ludy near Waynesburg February 12, aged 62 years, 9 months and 25 days.
On September 23, 1885, she was joined in Holy wedlock to Schuyler B. Freeman in Bloomington, Illinois. To this union three children were born. She united with the Methodist church early in life and was a great worker in the church, ladies aid society, Sunday School and the Red Cross society.
She leaves to mourn her departure her husband, two daughters, Mrs. Martha Dronenberg, Pontiac, Illinois, and Mrs. Gladys Ludy of this place; one sister, Mrs. Mary Phillips of LeRoy, Illinois; ten grandchildren and other relatives and friends. One daughter, Mrs. Grace Vinson of Champaign, Illinois, having preceded her in death.
Funeral services were conducted from the Reformed church in Waynesburg with Rev. L. A. Sigrist officiating. Burial was made in the Sandy Valley Cemetery.
Mrs. Dronenberg attended the funeral services of her mother.

March 21, 1930

Mrs. Ethel Phillips Mrs. Ethel Phillips passed away at Dubuque, Iowa, March 5th, of diphtheria. Mrs. Phillips was a daughter of Mrs. C. M. Moody, formerly of Hunter. She leaves to mourn her early death, her husband, five children, Katherine, Florence, Harry, LeRoy, and Dorothy, mother and father, 5 sisters and 1 brother.
O cruel death that could not spare a loving wife and mother dear, Oh great is the sorrow that's left behind. But she is in heaven a resting place will find.

March 28, 1930

Margaret Sterling

Margaret Sterling passed away Tuesday morning.
Mrs. Sterling was born in Ontario, Canada, in 1853. She was united in marriage to Alex Sterling at Bayfield, Canada, March 24, 1879. They moved to Gardner in 1881 where they operated a farm. Three children survive, Robert, William, and Mrs. F. H. Beardsley. She was a member of the Congregational church and a member of the Brotherhood of American Yeomen.
Interment will be made at the Gardner cemetery.

April 11, 1930

Fatally Injured in Fall Wed.

Mrs. A. Liliequist was called to Fargo last Thursday by the death of her brother-in-law, John Isaacson, who was fatally injured in a fall down a stairway in a Fargo garage on Wednesday of last week. He received a fractured skull, and died on Thursday without regaining consciousness. Mrs. Isaacson was a salesman for Hannaher and O'Neil of Moorhead for six years and made Hunter regularly.
The Liliequist children also attended funeral services at St. Parks Lutheran church in Fargo last Saturday.

Mildred Agnes Henderson was born on a farm in Broadlawn township, Steele County, North Dakota April 29th, 1894, being 36 years of age, lacking 21 days, at the time of her death.
She was married on October 10, 1916, to Edward Gilbert Morrow in Fargo, N. D. To this union were born five children, four girls and one boy.
Mrs. Morrow died April 8th at Hunter, N. D. She leaves, besides her husband and children, eight brothers and two sisters and her father, Wm. Henderson, of Fargo, N. D. Her mother died about five years ago. The names of her brothers living near Hunter are Vernon, Clair, Mark and Lawrence. Her brother Robert lives at Felton, Minn., while another brother, Warren, lives in the state of Oregon. Her sister, Mrs. John Morrow, lives near Hunter while the other sister, Miss Sarah Henderson, lives with her father in Fargo. Mrs. Morrow was baptized in infancy at the old Broadlawn church. When the church was dissolved she transferred her membership to the Presbyterian church at Clifford, N. D., where she remained a member until she joined the Hunter Presbyterian church in 1929.
Aside from her membership in the church where she was held in highest esteem, she was an honored and worthy member of the Presbyterian Ladies Aid and the Royal Neighbors Lodge of Hunter.
Funeral services were held at the Presbyterian church by Hunter at 2 p.m. Thursday, April 10, and the body laid to rest in the Hunter Cemetery. Services were conducted by the pastor Rev. H. L. Tayler.

April 18, 1930<.

Thieves Visit Hunter Again

Prowlers again invaded this vicinity last Friday night, having broken into the building of the Y. B. Café and Hamilton's Drug Store, and attempted to enter the Ford Hardware Store. So far nothing has been reported stolen aside from a few dollars in change at the drug store.
This is the second time within the past few months that these petty burglaries have been committed, and steps should be taken toward the apprehension of the miscreants, who stand in need of a lesson concerning the dangers of illicit amusement.
So far as we know, there are no clues to the robbery.

May 9, 1930

George Quaife Married In Joliet

Miss Elma Swanson and Geo. Quaife, both of Ottawa, were united in marriage Saturday afternoon in the parsonage of the Presbyterian church in Joliet, the ceremony being performed by Rev. George Oldsen.
The couple were attended by the bride's brother and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Virgil Swanson and Miss Sylvia Mustered.
The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Swanson of Paulchester, Ill., for the past year she has made her home with her brother, Virgil Swanson, 623 Webster street.
The groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. William Quaife, formerly of Grand Ridge. He is employed by the Ottawa Silica company.
The young couple will make their home on Illinois avenue in an apartment.-Clipped from the Ottawa, Ill., paper.

Funeral services for Mrs. Charles McAuley were held at the Methodist Episcopal Church in Hunter Saturday afternoon, May 3, at 2:30 o'clock.
The services were conducted by Rev. Wm. J. Medland, pastor of the Methodist church, assisted by Rev. H. L. Taylor, pastor of the Presbyterian church.
A large company of friends and neighbors were present to bring their sympathy for the bereaved family, which was very fittingly expressed in their floral offerings, tokens which mutely say so much. Interment was made in the Hunter Cemetery.
Lydia Carnes McAuley was born in McLean County, December 23, 1868. She was united in marriage with Charles McAuley at Bloomington, Ill., in 1889.
She is survived by her husband, five sons and three daughters who were all present at the funeral, Charles of Detroit, Mich., James of Hunter, N. D., Arden of Broadwater, Nebr., Carlin of Hunter, N. D., Delbert of Fargo, N. D., Myrtle, Mrs. Harold Hoxie of Hunter, Violet, Mrs. Oscar Sondrall of Fargo and Evelyn at home. There are also eleven grandchildren.
Mrs. McAuley was ill only a few days having suffered a stroke from which she only partially rallied.

May 23, 1930

Dray Line Changes Hands

This week Albert Anderson, who has conducted the local dray line for the past few years, sold the business and good will to Erick Tetzloff, who has been employed at the Farmers Elevator and took over possession of the business the fore part of this week.
We have not learned anything definite of Mr. Anderson's future plans, and it is hoped that he family will continue their residence here.

June 15, 1930

Will Fisk, Sr. Dies Suddenly

This community was severely shocked by news of the sudden death of Will Fisk, Sr. Apparently in fair health, death came very suddenly on Tuesday night, due to heart disease. The funeral services were held from the Methodist church Friday at 2:00 o'clock.
We hope to publish a complete obituary next week.
Mrs. Emma Osborne Passed Away Tuesday Ms. Emma Osborne died at 6:15 a.m. last Tuesday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Geo. Maxfield of Grand Forks. Mrs. Osborne was the first American born woman resident of Hunter and has been a resident here for 49 years. She had been in poor health for several years preceding her death. We were unable to get a complete obituary this week, but it will be published next week.

June 20, 1930


William W. Fisk was born in West Union, Iowa, April 3, 1865. When a boy he went to Wisconsin, where he lived until young manhood when he went to Colorado. There he met Rose Hambleton and they were married May 5, 1880, residing in Wray, Colorado, for 8 years. In the summer of 1896 they moved to Hunter, N. D., and have made their home here since that time.
Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Fisk, eight of whom are still living, namely, Mrs. A. R. Duffield, Ottawa, Ill., Winifred, Warren, Florence, William, Jr., and Faye, all of Hunter, Clarence of Stanley, N. D., and Leslie of Ottawa, Ill.
He died on June 10, 1930, at the age of 65 years. Funeral services were held at the Hunter Methodist church on Friday, June 13, following a short service at the Fisk home.
Surviving, besides his children, are his widow, two brothers, Edward of Frazee, Minn., and Fred of Sunrise, Minn., and a cousin, Frank Fisk, of Velva, N. D.

June 20, 1930


Gunild Christina Korup was born in Loland, Denmark, July 18, 1897. She came with her parents to America at the age of 4 years, living on a farm east of Hunter and later moving to town.
She attended the Hunter high school and was a member of the Presbyterian Sunday School. She lived at home until the time of her marriage, March 22, 1922, to Edward Holida, when she moved to Naples, S. D.
She had been failing in health for several months, and for the past two months she has been with her mother in Hunter. Last Tuesday she was taken to Rochester for medical aid but without avail, and she passed away at Rochester on Saturday, June 14.
Besides her husband, she leaves to mourn her loss, two children, Wayne and Phyllis, her mother, five brothers and two sisters.
Funeral services were held on Tuesday from the Hunter Presbyterian Church, and interment made in the Hunter cemetery.

Mrs. Laura Rasmussen was born in Loland, Denmark, in 1873. She was married in 1905 and at the age of 27 she came to America, settling in Hunter, and residing here until 1928 when she was taken to St. Luke's Hospital at Fargo for medical treatment. Later she was removed to the Cass County hospital where she passed away June 12, 1930, after her long siege of illness.
Surviving are 4 children, Albert of Chicago, Gerhart of Hunter, Lydia and Agnes of Fargo, and 2 brothers, one in the US, and one in Denmark.
Funeral services were held last Saturday from the Lutheran church and interment made in the Hunter cemetery.

July 4, 1930

Former Hunterite Passed Away

Mrs. Clarence Denham, one of the first teachers in Hunter, and a pioneer resident of the town, passed away at her home in Arroyo Grande, Calif., according to word just received by Mrs. John Wergin. Death was sudden and unexpected, the result of a heart attack.
Said to be the first regular-salaried teacher employed in the old school building, Mrs. Denham, then Miss Sara Congdon, came to Hunter in the early '80's. Following her work in the public schools, Miss Congdon remained as a private music teacher. In 1891 she married Mr. Denham and continued living here until 1903 when the family moved to the west coast.
Besides her husband, Mrs. Denham leaves a daughter, Mrs. Hubert Thatcher, Arroyo Grande; and a son, Charles, Los Angeles.

July 11, 1930


At the funeral rites Friday, June 27, for Mrs. Caddie Mikkelson, friends and neighbors paid their final respects to a resident of Hunter for the last 36 years. Services were held in the Presbyterian church at 2 p.m., with the Rev. O. E. McCracken, Fargo, officiating. Rev. William Medland assisted in the eulogy.
Born in Berlin, Minn., 49 years ago, Cassendana Finch remained in her native town until she was 15 years old. Then she came to Hunter to finish high school and live with her sister, Mrs. Myrtie Muir.
Following her graduation, she taught in the country schools for 3 years. June 27, 1908, she was united in marriage to John H. Stafford. Two daughters, Kathryn and Cassendana, were born to the Staffords.
On June 28, 1916, Mrs. Stafford became the wife of Frederick T. Mikkelson. One daughter, Gertrude, was born to them. The family lived here until last fall when they moved to Fargo.
A member of the Presbyterian church, Mrs. Mikkelson was faithful in the work of her church. Her fraternal affiliation was with the Yeoman lodge.
Besides her husband, she is survived by her three daughters, Gertrude Mikkelson, Mrs. Harold Garrett and Mrs. A. J. Piehl, Fargo; a granddaughter, Marilyn Rae Garrett, Fargo; three sisters, Mrs. Myrtie Muir, Fargo, Miss Sedate Finch and Mrs. Mark McFarland, Ellendale, Minn.; three brothers, Horace and Ray Finch of Ellendale and Fred Finch, Minot; and a stepmother, Mrs. Catherine Finch, Ellendale.

July 11, 1930

One Killed in Accident

Running without lights, two cars crashed head-on about 9 p.m., Monday seven miles south of Galesburg, killing the driver of one machine instantly and seriously injuring a passenger in the same vehicle.
Lewis Satrom, 20, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Satrom, residing four miles south of Galesburg, was killed and Herman Bratholt, 28, also Galesburg, was sent to St. John's Hospital in Fargo with serious injuries.
The Satrom machine was headed south toward Erie when it crashed with a Ford sedan driven by Harry Alberts, Erie, who was driving north. Both machines were wrecked. Albert, his wife, and two children escaped unhurt. John and Ben Satrom, passengers in their brother's car, sustained minor injuries. - Fargo Forum.

July 25, 1930

T. C. Hockridge Passed Away Sunday A.M.
Thomas C. Hockridge, 78, retired farmer and former Cass county commissioner, died at his home at Hunter at 3:30 a.m., Sunday, following a three week illness. Death resulted from chronic conditions of several years standing.
Mr. Hockridge has been a North Dakota resident for 32 years, coming here from 17 years' service as a river pilot on the Mississippi. He was born Sept. 21, 1851, in western Ontario.
He was employed by the original Mississippi river commission in the capacity of civil engineer. He helped survey the river from St. Anthony Falls to the mouth.
He was one of the three steamboat pilots of early days, who had licenses to operate from St. Anthony Falls to New Orleans. Part of the 17 years on the river was spent as a steamboat captain.
Mr. Hockridge married Miss Frances Snelgrove, Ingersoll, Ont., in 1884. In 1890 he made his first trip to North Dakota, visiting his brother, James, at Hunter. Eight years later he bought land in Arthur township and resided there until 1913, when he moved to Hunter.
For 12 years, between 1914 and 1926, Mr. Hockridge was a Cass county commissioner. He also was a candidate in the June primary for nomination for that position. He was a member of Fargo Council, No. 1, R. and S. M., Auvergne commandery, No. 2, K. T., El Zagel temple, Hunter lodge No. 62, A. F. and A. M. and Casselton chapter No. 2, Royal Arch Masons. He also was a member of the Presbyterian church.
Surviving are the widow, two brothers, James B., of Hunter, and William of Wilson, N. Y., also two nephews, Earl, Minneapolis and Floyd, St. Louis, sons of James B. Hockridge.
Funeral services were held at 2 p.m., Tuesday at the home, with Rev. H. L. Taylor, pastor of the Hunter Presbyterian church, officiating. Mrs. William Boyce, Syracuse, N. Y., sang and Miss Jeanne McLachlin had charge of music. Mr. Hockridge's brother, William, of New York, is ill and did not attend the funeral, but his nephews, Earl and Floyd were here.
Masonic services were held at the grave under the direction of Hunter lodge No. 62, A. F. and A. M. Burial was in the Hunter cemetery.

July 25, 1930

Frances Skue Dies Suddenly

As we go to press today (Thursday) we received word of the sudden death of Miss Frances Skue. Death probably occurred early this morning, but was not discovered until late this morning when a member of the family went to the room occupied by Frances, to waken her. At this time details are lacking this sorrowful tragedy, but we will publish a complete obituary next week.

August 1, 1930


The beautiful little bud that came to gladden the hearts of the Carl Skue family on July 2, 1913, could not remain to attain the fullness of bloom, but was transplanted, in the freshness of youth, to the heavenly sphere.
Frances Jeanette Skue, better known to all as Buddy, passed away quietly at her home on July 24, 1930.
She leaves, besides her parents, 5 sisters, Gladys, Cornelia (Mrs. R. M. Fatland), Louise, Dorothy and Jordyce, a brother, Gordon, a grandmother, Mrs. Anna Skue; all of Hunter, 2 aunts, Mrs. Harry Henry of Galesburg an Mrs. G. L. Armstrong of Kansas City, Mo., an uncle, Thomas Hanson of Minneapolis, and several cousins; also two aunts, an uncle and several cousins, who reside in Norway.
Short funeral services were held at the home at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, followed by services at the Hunter Lutheran church. Rites were conducted by Rev. A. N. Brudvig of Clifford. Interment was in the Hunter cemetery.
As a child of 6 weeks, Buddy was christened by the Rev. O. Turmo in Clifford. She was a faithful member of the Sunday school, and was confirmed at the Hunter Lutheran church on Nov. 13, 1927, by Rev. Karl Kildahl. Following her confirmation, she attended the Bible class.
Buddy received her education at the local school, and was a Junior of 1930. She was a member of the Girls Glee Club. She was also a charter member of the Dacotah Campfire Girls.
During her short years, Buddy had her own cross to carry, suffering physical affliction, among which were two operations undergone in recent years. But she bore her burden smilingly and without complaint.
Her passing is a distinct loss, not only to her family, but to a host of friends, both old and young, who will greatly miss the radiance of her happy and cheerful personality. Nothing the writer might add in the line of tribute could enhance that affection held to her. May the gentle benediction of a just God rest upon those she leaves behind and brighten the paths of their lives until that Eternal Day when their spirits shall be reunited.

August 15, 1930

Marian Kennedy Feted at Pre-Nuptial Event
Miss Marian Kennedy, daughter of Mrs. Alex Kennedy of Hunter, who became the bride of Leslie E. Sansburn of Valley City Thursday, was the guest of honor at a linen shower on Monday afternoon at the home of her mother.
The afternoon was spent informally by the guests partaking in 'Jumbled Trousseau' and Flower contests.
The dining room was prettily decorated in rose and green, mixed flowers forming the centerpiece for the candlelight luncheon which was served at 5 o'clock.
The Misses Gladys Skue and Helen Beck and Mrs. A. J. Piehl acted as hostesses.
Miss Kennedy and Mr. Sansburn were married in Minneapolis August 14, and are enjoying a five weeks' wedding trip visiting relatives and friends in Washington and Oregon.

Mrs. Pratt Died Suddenly At Fargo Sunday, Aug. 3
The many friends of Mrs. Pratt were greatly shocked to hear of her sudden death in St. Johns Hospital at Fargo on Sunday afternoon, August 3, at 4:30 o'clock.
Florence Ann Johnston was born at Grandin, N. D., on Aug. 22, 1888. She was a daughter of Edward Johnston, a former pioneer resident of Grandin who now resides at Clinton, Ontario.
On October 6, 1912, she was united in marriage to Stanley Pratt.
Funeral services were held in the Grandin Presbyterian church Tuesday afternoon, August 5, at 1:00 o'clock with Rev. W. J. Medland of the Methodists church of Hunter presiding and Rev. W. K. Sherwin of Grandin assisting in the service. Rev. Medland chose I Corinthians 2:9 as the text for his sermon and message of comfort to the sorrowing relatives and friends. The choir of the Grandin church sang “My Faith Looks Up to Thee,” “Rock of Ages” and “Abide with Me.” Burial was made in the Hunter cemetery.
Acting as pallbearers were Robert Black, Frank Duntly, Dan Beck, Chas. Radebaugh, Otto Ferguson and W. S. Stewart.
Surviving to mourn the loss of a devoted wife and mother are her husband and seven children, Grant, Enid, Esther, Irene, Robert, Ruth, Stanley, Jr., and Alton Leonard, besides her father and stepmother, five brothers and two sisters, Alton of Malta, Mont., Golden of Fargo, Elmer of Grandin and James, Emma, Milton and Margaret all of Clinton, Ontario.
Relatives from out of town attending the funeral were Mr. and Ms. Harold Pratt of Souris, N. D., Mr. and Mrs. R. J. Pratt and Mr. and Mrs. Golden Johnston and son, Jack, of Fargo.
The large floral tributes tended to show the esteem Mrs. Pratt held as a loving friend and neighbor. All the stricken ones have the deep sympathy of the community, as Mrs. Pratt was a woman beloved by all who came within the circle of her acquaintance of who had developed into a most devoted wife and charming mother, always bright and cheerfully radiating sunshine and help to those around her.

Injured Wed.
Geo. E. Morgan, who resides north of Hunter, was seriously injured Wednesday while changing a tire on his truck at the State Oil and Auto Garage.
The tire blew out just as Mr. Morgan was removing it, throwing dirt into his face with such force so as to injure his eyes, causing temporary blindness and necessitating medical care.

August 22, 1930


Sophia Fredrikka Jorgenson was born in Denmark June 22, 1862.
In 1883 she was married to Lars Hanson, and in 1893 she came to America, her husband having preceded her two years earlier. Since that time they have resided in or near Hunter.
Besides her husband she is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Axel Hanson and three sons, Alfred, Tony and William, all of Hunter. Three sons have passed away during the last six years.
Funeral services were held from the Hunter Presbyterian church on Sunday, Aug. 17, Rev. W. J. Medland officiating. Burial was made in the Hunter cemetery.
Mrs. Hanson had suffered for many years from elephantiasis, and was confined to her bed for the past seven weeks with a nurse in charge. On Wednesday she was moved to a hospital at Fargo, where she passed away at 8:20 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 15.
During her residence in this vicinity she has made many friends, and the Times joins this great host in extending a hand of sympathy to the bereaved family.

August 29, 1930

Hurt in Accident

Bobby, small son of Mr. and Mrs. Art Rasmussen, was severely cut last Tuesday, when slipped on a rug and fell, while holding a glass of water. The breaking glass cut his arm, and 13 stitches were taken by the doctor, who was called immediately.
Returned from Europe H. J. Jacobson returned to Hunter Tuesday from his trip to Denmark where he had been since last January.
Jake says it feels good to be back in the U. S. again. He states that hard times here are not comparable to hard times in that country. Taxes there are so high they take all one can earn. But Jake had a pleasant trip and is now taking a few days' rest before getting into his working clothes.

In Accident
Mrs. L. Hensted figured in an unfortunate accident while going to Fargo with a party last Monday. Their car, struck by a speeding Minneapolis car, was forced into the ditch, and Mrs. Hensted received a cut from breaking glass, which extended from elbow to shoulder and required 13 stitches.

September 5, 1930

Frank McLane Injured In Accident
Frank McClane was struck by a car and injured, perhaps seriously, last Wednesday night while on his way home from the movies.
The accident occurred on the corner near the Albert Anderson residence. The car, driven by Wesley Massey, was heading east, and meeting another car, Mr. Massey swerved to the south, striking Mr. McClane who was crossing the street at that time. A small daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Eddie Severson was walking beside McClane, and due to his efforts and presence of mind she was touched only slightly by the car. Mr. McClane was taken to a Fargo hospital Thursday. He received several cuts and bruises and at this writing it is feared that he sustained internal injuries.
This accident serves to remind us of bad corners during busy hours. Accidents may happen to the best of drivers and one cannot be too cautious.

September 12, 1930

Farewell Party

Mrs. Harold Hoxie entertained at a farewell party Saturday in honor of her sister, Evelyn McAuley, who will leave next week for Fargo where she will attend school. Twenty-five guests were present. The evening was spent in dancing and a lunch was served at midnight. Out of town guests were Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Sondrall and son Maurice James, and Bill McAuley of Fargo and Cecil and James Harmon of Amenia.

September 19, 1930


Frank McClane was born in Fond du Lac, Wis., 72 years ago. He resided in North Dakota for about 50 years, having filed on a homestead in 1881, located in Hunter township, the N. E. 1-4 of Sec. 6, as locations were designated in those early days. He spent many years in farming, but perhaps a greater number of years as a farm foreman near Buxton and Arthur, until he retired and settled here in Hunter.
Mr. McClane was injured on Sept. 3 when struck by a car and was taken to St. Luke's hospital, Fargo, the following day, where he died on Sunday, Sept. 14, from the effects of his injuries.
Funeral services were held on Tuesday at the Presbyterian church, Hunter, with Rev. W. J. Medland performing the rites. The I. O. O. F. Hunter lodge No. 25, also took part in the funeral services as Mr. McClane had joined the lodge of New Richland, Minn., No. 74, when a young man and before he came to this territory.
During the service Mrs. E. I. Moen sang “Beautiful Isle of Somewhere” and Miss Edna Zavitz sang “There's a Beautiful Land on High.” Louie Larson accompanied the remains to Fond du Lac, where interment will be in the cemetery there, his boyhood home.
A sister, Mrs. Jane Billington, and a nephew, Frank Billington, both of Wisconsin, survive.
In the passing of Frank McClane, this community loses another of its early pioneers. He will be missed by his friends which were legion, and both young and old, gained through his discerning and ever pleasant disposition.

Hensted Family To Mayville

Art Rasmussen moved the household goods of Louie Hensted to Mayville Friday by truck. The Hensted family will make their home at that place for the coming year. Their daughter, Myrtle, is enrolled at the Teachers' College this term.
Mrs. Oline Kyllo Funeral Last Sat.
Mr. and Mrs. Carl Skue, Mrs. Anna Skue, Mr. and Mrs. Nels Johnson, and Mr. and Mrs. I. Moen attended funeral services for Mrs. Oline Kyllo on Saturday at the Lutheran church near Galesburg, of which she was a member. Mrs. Kyllo died at her home on Sept. 10, at the age of 59 years. She had been ill with bronchitis and asphyxiation for two weeks, ever since her return from Europe. Six sons and three daughters survive, Julius of Lamoure, Oscar, Benjamin, Edwin, Sigvardt, Robert, Agnes, Mrs. Harry Olson and Mrs. John Kvalik, all of near Galesburg.

Victor Wallace In Accident

Victor Wallace had a very fortunate accident last Wednesday afternoon. During recess he and other classmates were riding in his Ford and in making a turn to cross the track north of town, the speed was greater than his estimation and the car turned over in the ditch. None of the students were hurt as they were thrown clear of the heap. The car was taken to the local garage and is again doing service.
Born to Mr. and Mrs. Dewey Martin Sept. 10, a son at the Chas. Wonzer home.

September 26, 1930

Born-To Mr. and Mrs. Lynn Brayton, on Monday, Sept. 8, a son.
Born-A son, to Mr. and Mrs. C. N. Leraas of Greenfield, on Monday, Sept. 22.
A son was born on Sunday, Sept. 21, to Mr. and Mrs. Henry Vos of Galesburg. Mrs. Vos will be remembered as Emma Jorgenson formerly of near Hunter.

October 3, 1930

Mrs. Wm. Rieke, daughters Florence and Ruth, and Mrs. Priewe of Arthur called at the home of Mrs. Sarah Zellmer on Sunday.

Train Crushes Farm Worker At Mayville

Charles Stone, 45, who for several years worked on farms in Hunter vicinity, died Sept. 30, at Mayville from injuries he received when he walked into the side of a moving freight train. Knocked from his feet by the impact, the lower part of his body was mangled before the train could be stopped. He died at the Union hospital 3 1-2 hours later. Mr. Stone was partially deaf and it is believed he was also partially blinded by a mist that enveloped that territory on that day. Stone had worked as a farm laborer near Mayville for the past several years.

The Smerud Store Robbed Friday Nite

Some time last Friday night robbers entered the Smerud Co. store and got away with the entire stock of silk hosiery, about a dozen leather jackets, a few mackinaws and a few pairs of shoes.
The robbers had drilled several holes in the back door with the intention of drilling out the lock, but failed to do that so went to the front door and succeeded in prying it open. Mr. Smerud estimates his loss at $200.
There is no clue to the robbery at this writing.


John Dickson, formerly of Hunter, now of Williston, was married to Miss Alice Thomson of Cavalier, on Wednesday, Sept. 24, at Cavalier. They will make their home in Williston where Mr. Dickson is employed in the office of the Savings and Loan Company.
Wedding Bells Paul Brayton, Hunter, and Mildred Seebart of Lakota were married last week in Moorhead, Minn. Both of these young people are well known in this vicinity, Miss Seebart having taught the last term of school near Hunter, and Mr. Brayton residing with his parents on a farm of this community. The Times extends to the newlyweds best wishes for a successful future.

October 17, 1930

Farewell Party

Friends and neighbors of Rev. and Mrs. W. J. Medland met at the M. E. church on Monday evening to bid farewell to the pastor and his wife, who are leaving Hunter this week after three years of service in the Methodist Episcopal Church of Hunter.
A program was given consisting of several numbers by the congregation; piano duet-Verna Taves and Alice Elliott; a talk on appreciation-W. R. Mitchell; solo-Miss Ella Wolfe; a reading-Mrs. Clyde Fisk; quartet-Geo. Norgreen, Kenneth Thompson, Alice Elliott and Verna Taves; violin solo-R. R. Taylor; reading-Marie Turner; farewell from the Epworth League by the President, Walter Goss; solo-Miss Dorothy Bettschen; a farewell and thank you to Mrs. Medland from the M. E. choir-Miss Bertha McMullen; song-Epworth League choir; a farewell to the congregation-Rev. W. J. Medland.
After the program the guests visited in the church parlor and later a delicious potluck lunch was served.

November 7, 1930

Carl Howells and Miss Eva Douglas Married at Gilby

Miss Margaret Eva Douglas of Gilby, N. D., became the bride of Carl H. Howells of Hunter, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Howells, on Thursday, Oct. 30. The ceremony was performed by Rev. David Samson at the home of the bride's mother, Mrs. Marion E. Douglas, Gilby, Thursday noon.
The couple was unattended. The bride wore a gown of tan georgette and hand-made lace. Her flowers were a corsage of bride's roses.
Following the ceremony a wedding dinner was served for immediate relatives of the two families. Out of town guests included the bridegroom's mother, Mrs. Wm. Howells, Hunter, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Douglas, Hoople, and Mrs. Margaret Haddow, River Falls, Wis.
Mr. and Mrs. Howells left by motor on a trip to the Twin Cities. They will make their home in Hunter where Mr. Howells is engaged in the garage business.
Both of these young people are well known in Hunter, Mrs. Howells formerly being a member of the town school faculty. The best wishes of the community are extended to the newlyweds, welcoming them into our midst.

November 14, 1930


Samuel D. Richardson was born December 29, 1857, at Trempealeau, Wisconsin, a son of William Ledger and Elizabeth Hansen Richardson. He died Nov. 6, 1930 at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Victor W. Heydlauff, Wild Horse, Alberta, Can., where he had gone recently to visit. Mr. Richardson was ill only two days.
He, with his father and oldest brother, William, homesteaded in what is now Hunter township in 1879. On Dec. 17, 1884, he was married to Amelia Hanson. To this union were born six children, two of whom died in infancy. Those left to mourn his passing are Amelia, his wife, of Havre, Mont., Irving L. of Lost Springs, Kan., Myrtle R. Heydlauff of Wild Horse, Alberta, Can., and William R. and Gerald of Havre, Mont. Two sisters, Lottie E. Dewey of Vancouver, Wash., and Mabel E. Rintoul of Westhope, N. D., also four brothers, John C. of Hunter, Edwin M. of Omemee, Alexander H. of Minot and Richard L. of Granville. Five grandchildren also survive.
The family have made their home in Havre, Mont., since April 1914, where they moved from here and engaged in ranching and farming, being the first to build in that township.
The remains were shipped to Hunter. Funeral services were held Wednesday, Nov. 12, at 2 o'clock, from the Methodist church, Rev. W. S. J. Bleakley officiating. He was laid to rest in the family lot at Hunter.
Those acting as pallbearers were the three sons, Irving, William and Gerald, and three nephews, Lester, Wendell and Elroy Richardson of Hunter.

November 21, 1930

Harry G. Barber Dies In Cando

Stricken with a heart attack, Harry C. Barber, 64, veteran Hunter merchant, died Nov. 13 at his home in Cando, where he resided for the past three years since his retirement from active business.
Born in Wyanet, Ill., Aug. 8, 1866, he came to North Dakota in 1884, settling near Hunter. From 1887 to 1907 he was engaged in the mercantile business in Hunter, his last partnership here being with John Wergin. After leaving Hunter he engaged in the same business at Heaton. On June 16, 1891, he married Miss Nellie Pearson in Fargo. Surviving are his widow, one son; Dallas, manager of the J. C. Penney store in Cando, two daughters, Mrs. Clarence Cummings of Carrington and Mrs. H. A. Scott of Jamestown, also one brother, Frank H. Barber, Minneapolis.
Funeral services were held Sunday from the Presbyterian church, Hunter, with Rev. W. S. J. Bleakley officiating. Interment was in the Hunter Cemetery.

December 5, 1930

Harry McLachlin Married at Fargo on Last Saturday

Announcement has been made of the marriage of Harry McLachlin, Hunter, and Miss Ann Schafer, Amenia, at Fargo on Saturday, Nov. 31. Both the contracting parties are well and favorably known in this vicinity the groom having grown to manhood here. They have the best wishes of all for a long life filled with the best that life affords. After spending a few days in Fargo the happy young couple will come to Hunter where they expect to make their future home.

December 12, 1930

Silver Wedding

The friends and neighbors of Mr. and Mrs. Ben Wedberg gathered at their farm home at 1 o'clock on Sunday afternoon, Dec. 7th, in honor of their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary.
The party was sponsored by the Lutheran Ladies Aid, and was on the order of a “surprise,” the guests bringing dinner with them.
After everyone had satisfied their appetites, the afternoon was spent in a social manner.
Mr. and Mrs. Wedberg were presented with a purse of silver in token of friendship and esteem by the self-invited guests. The presentation took place after the morning services, in the Lutheran church, by Rev. A. N. Brudvig, who also gave a congratulatory address to the bridal couple.
At dusk the guests departed, wishing Mr. and Mrs. Wedburg many more years of happy wedded life.


Funeral services for Cyrus M. Moody, pioneer of Hunter, were held Saturday, Dec. 6, from the M. E. church with Rev. W. S. J. Bleakley officiating.
Mr. Moody was born in 1855 at North New Fortland, Maine, and came to North Dakota in 1888, where he settled at Blanchard. Later he moved to a farm several miles west of Hunter. He died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Eddie Danielson (Jeanette) of Huron, S. D., on December 3. The cause of his death was heart failure. He leaves to mourn his loss, his wife, five daughters, Mrs. Skogmo of Minneapolis, Eleanor Moody of McGregor, Iowa, Mrs. Charles Bristol, Jr., of Fargo, Mrs. Eddie Danielson of Huron, S. D., and Helen Moody of Larimore, two stepchildren, Roy Moody of Hunter and Mrs. W. A. Johnson of Fargo, two brothers, Ben of Linn, Mass., and Neil of San Diego, one sister, Mrs. Florence Churchill of North New Fortland, Maine.
2011 Copyrighted and Contributed by Steven Pueppke

Newspaper Extractions Index
Back to the Cass County, NDGenWeb