Hunter News 1931 Hunter Herald

January 2, 1931

Dies In California

Mr. and Mrs. J. G. Russell received word Thursday, 25, of the death of their sister-in-law, Mrs. Will Russell, at Burbank, Calif. Mrs. Russell suffered a stroke and passed away at one o'clock that day.

January 23, 1931

Former Hunter Couple Married in Montana

Mr. and Mrs. Wendell Anderson were pleasant weekend visitors in the city while Mr. Anderson was transacting business for the firm he represents. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson were recently married in the city before Justice of the Peace Seth Martin, the witnesses being W. P. O'Neill and J. L. Wakefield. Mrs. Anderson, formerly Miss Myrtle Sorenson, was engaged in teaching in Montana for about a year. She is a graduate of the Valley City state teachers college of Valley City, N. D., and came from North Dakota to take up teaching work in the state. Mr. Anderson lives at Great Falls, Mont., where he is employed by the Montana Milling Co.-Great Falls (Mont.) Telegram.
Former Hunterite Has Battle With Coyote Flying low over a South Dakota prairie with a hunter as companion, Pilot Clyde Ice shot a coyote, landed, tossed the animal into the cockpit. At the plane flew on again the coyote revived, started fighting its captors. The ship spun crazily while Pilot Ice turned to help his friend. He ended the battle with a monkey wrench-favorite weapon of airmen for subduing rambunctious passengers and panic-stricken pupils. Pilot Ice got back to his controls just in time to prevent a crash.-Time Magazine.
Editor's Note: Mr. Ice farmed west of Hunter a few years ago and will be remembered by many in this community. He is a nephew of Mrs. Harry Suman.

February 13, 1931

Ed Benson Passed Away Word reached here early this week of the death of Ed Benson Friday, Feb. 6, at the Cass County Hospital, Fargo.
Mr. Benson was well known in this vicinity, having made his home in Hunter for several years past. His death followed a long illness. In poor health for several years, he went to the hospital over a year ago where he remained until the time of his death.

February 20, 193


John H. McMullen

John H. McMullen died in a Fargo hospital at 2 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 17, of infirmities of old age.
Mr. McMullen was born in Canada May 20, 1852. Moving to Fargo in 1890, he was employed as a carpenter for the Bowers brothers firm for about 10 years. The following 30 years he spent in Hunter, serving as postmaster and conducting a store. In 1920 he returned to Fargo where he was in the grocery business until 1925 when he returned to Hunter. He was a member of the Hunter Methodist Church, Odd Fellows, Yeoman and A. O. U. W. lodges.
Surviving are a son, W. R. McMullen, Fargo, a daughter, Miss Bertha, Hunter, also several brothers and sisters in Canada. Mrs. McMullen died 8 years ago.
…..Burial was made in the Riverside Cemetery, Fargo.

February 27, 1931

Fire Destroys Hunter Grain Company Elevator Last Monday Evening.

Gaining sufficient headway to be beyond any control, fire, late Monday, destroyed the elevator owned by the Hunter Grain Co. Value of the building was placed at $20,000, of which $12,000 was covered by insurance. Grain in the building was fully insured.
The fire was discovered at about 11:00 o'clock by Maurice Turner who immediately turned in an alarm, but because of its consuming start, fire departments shifted their efforts to the Cargill Elevator and the O. I. Grotte Lumber Co., neither building being damaged seriously, although they were in great danger from the terrific heat. The majority of credit in saving the Cargill structure is due the Casselton fire fighters, who with their high pressure tanks were able to extinguish flames which broke out on the peak of the annex.
The elevator of 60,000 bushel capacity was managed by L. D. McLean. No plans for rebuilding have been announced at this writing.
Volunteer departments from Casselton, Amenia, Galesburg and Page were called, all arriving except Page, who, we understand, slid into a ditch. Through their combined efforts, spread of the flames was checked.

Mrs. Jorgenson Hit By Auto

Mrs. Walter Jorgenson is a patient in a Fargo hospital, suffering from a severe skull fracture, the result of an accident which occurred Saturday night, Feb. 14. Returning home on that night she was struck by a car driven by Allen Ramstad as he was making a turn between the Liliequist Café and the Meat Market. Due to poor lighting of that street he was unable to see her in time to avoid the accident.
Dr. Richter was called immediately. Sunday afternoon she was taken to Fargo in an ambulance.
Her condition at this writing remains unchanged.

March 6, 1931

Popular Young People Married at Fargo Saturday

Roy Larson and Hilda Stockmoe, well and favorably known young people of Hunter, were married Saturday, Feb. 28, at the Lutheran Parsonage, Fargo. The ceremony took place at 2:00 p.m., with Rev. Rundsvold officiating. Witnesses were Alice Larson and Joseph Stockmoe.
A reception for relatives was given at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Stockmoe at 8 o'clock Saturday evening.
The young couple will engage in farming the property known as the Wood farm and will be at home after March 15.

March 13, 1931

Thieves Again Visited Our Village Mon.

Burglars entered the Gale-Carr Merc. Co. store sometime during the night of Monday, March 9, making away with merchandise amounting to about $1200.
Entrance was gained through the furnace room, the door leading upstairs being pried open. The rear double door was also pried open.
Among goods taken were 25 silk dresses, contents of 49 boxes of ladies silk hose, 2 ladies lamb coats and 3 men's coats, men's hats, caps, ties, socks, shoes, etc. Two tables were entirely cleared of display merchandise. The cash register was also rifled but contained little over a dollar in change. Deputy McArthur of Fargo came over early Tuesday morning and obtained fingerprints from boxes handled, in hopes of getting some clue as to the identity of the thieves. The loss was not covered by insurance.

Well Known Young Couple Married Tues.

Robert Alexander Kennedy, son of Mrs. Alex Kennedy, Hunter, was united in marriage to Miss Ellen Anderson, daughter of Mr. and Ms. Ed C. Anderson, who reside about 5 miles east of Arthur, Tuesday, March 10, at Moorhead, Minn. The ceremony took place at 4:00 p.m. and was performed by Rev. S. P. Sorenson at the Lutheran parsonage. Witnesses were Miss Martha Anderson, sister of the bride, and James Kennedy, brother of the groom.
Immediately following the marriage, the young couple left for Minneapolis where they will spend several days before returning to Hunter where they will reside on the Kennedy farm.

March 20, 1931

Another Fire Here

The town fire truck was again pressed into service when an alarm was turned in Saturday afternoon for a fire at the C. J. Sorenson residence. The fire was caused by an oil lamp in a brooder which was in the basement, and gained considerable headway before being discovered. Damage was estimated at $200.

Farewell Party for Dr. Oakes

The Legion boys met at the lodge hall Saturday night, March 14, for a farewell party in honor of Dr. G. H. Oakes. The evening was spent in regular Army-Navy style, and late in the evening mulligan stew, pie and coffee was served.
Doc has accepted a position as meat inspector in the St. Paul packing plant and is leaving by car this weekend to begin his duties March 23. Mrs. Oakes and children will remain here until the end of the school term.
The many friends of the Oakes family will regret losing them from the home circle but wish them every success in their new location.

April 3, 1931

Mrs. Flora Fisk Passed Away in Washington

Mrs. Flora Fisk, aged 75 years, a former resident of Hunter for twenty-seven years, died at her home in Seattle, Wash., on Thursday, March 19. Mrs. Fisk had lived for the past three years in Seattle. Mr. Fisk preceded her to the Great Beyond one year ago.
Surviving relatives are three sons, Clyde of Hunter, Archie of Sumner, and Lew of Washington; and two daughters, Mrs. Etta Holmes of Hedgesville, Mont., and Mrs. Mabel Nicholas of Seattle. Two sisters also survive, Mrs. Florence Irle of Sumner and Mrs. Dora Corey of Wisconsin. There are 17 grandchildren and one great grandchild.
Funeral services will be held at the Wrigley & Clements chapel in Puyallup. Entombment in Woodlawn Abbey mausoleum.

Leslie Collins Injured in Car Accident

While playing on the street Wednesday afternoon, Leslie Collins, 5, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harl Collins, was struck down by a car driven by Clifford Rosendahl of near here.
The child was taken to a Fargo hospital where it was learned that he had no skull fracture as it was at first believed. His head is badly bruised, however, the most serious injury being about one eye. He was struck by the fender of the car. The car did not pass over his body. The accident occurred on highway No. 18 in front of the Moen Implement Shop.
Leslie was brought to his home today (Thursday).

April 17, 1931

Dorothy Bettschen Undergoes Operation

Miss Dorothy Bettschen, town school faculty member, is seriously ill in a Fargo hospital, following an operation which she underwent about a week ago.
Stricken suddenly Thursday evening of last week, she was immediately taken to Fargo where the operation for the removal of a tumor was performed without delay.
Miss Bettschen has been steadily improving, but her condition is still considered serious.
Her many friends of this community are sincerely hoping for her speedy recovery.

May 1, 1931

A baby girl was born to Mr. and Mrs. Art Rasmussen Wednesday, April 29.

Mary Elsie Goss

Mrs. Mary Elsie Goss of Earlville, Ill, passed away at the home of son, Earl Goss, of Gardner, at 1 p.m. Sunday, April 26, after an illness of three and one half months. Short funeral services were held at the Goss home in Gardner Tuesday morning, with Rev. W. S. J. Bleakley officiating, and the body shipped to Earlville for burial. Her son, Frank H., of Hunter, accompanied the remains.

May 8, 1931


Mary E. Tripp was born in Somerset county, Maine, in 1847. When a small child she moved with her parents to Illinois and resided practically all her life in Earlville. She was married to Franklin H. Goss Dec. 2, 1865, who preceded her in death Oct. 27, 1928. Mrs. Goss was a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal church and retained her membership always in the Earlville church. She passed away April 26, 1931, at the home of her son, Earl, of Gardner, at the age of 84 years. Before her death she requested that the officiating minister at her funeral speak from verse 7, chapter 4, II Timothy, on the words, “I have fought a good fight.” The Bible was a constant companion of Mrs. Goss in her later years.
Left to mourn her going and cherish her memory are: 2 daughters, Mrs. Daisy Caruth of DeKalb, Ill., and Mrs. Ethel Caruth of Los Angeles, Calif., 2 sons, Franklin H. of Hunter and Earl W. of Gardner, a sister, Mrs. Susan Teshia of Los Angeles, 13 grandchildren, 8 great grandchildren and a host of friends.
The finest tribute paid to any woman is offered by her children who called her a most loving and Christian mother.
Funeral services were held at the Earlville Methodist church, conducted by R. M. Furnith. Interment was made in the family lot in Precinct cemetery. -contributed.

May 29, 1931

Monica Cruden Injured In Wind Storm Wednesday

Monica Cruden is a patient in the Hillsboro hospital with injuries received when the Cruden home in Blanchard was blown down Wednesday. Details are not known of this writing.

Wednesday's Storm Does Much Damage

The storm which struck this part of the country Wednesday did considerable damage.
A few miles southeast of Moorhead the Empire Builder, crack Chicago-Seattle train on the Gr. Northern, was blown off the rails, resulting in one death and about 60 persons injured.
Several homes and barns in the Blanchard vicinity were blown down. Hunter escaped the twister, but there was a heavy downpour of rain, throughout the afternoon hours. The moisture was welcome to the farming community.

June 5, 1931

Cars Collide On Main Street Crossing Saturday

An accident occurred Saturday afternoon at the crossing south of the lodge hall when a Ford coupe driven by Bernard Hansen struck the Ford sedan driven by M. H. Rutten, the latter car turning over. Occupants of the sedan were the M. H. Rutten and H. M. Hegle families and Mrs. H. McLachlin. Only slight injuries were sustained. Mr. Rutten was heading south. Coming from the east, Mr. Hansen failed to see the other car, his view being obstructed by a covering over the right hand window. This is the second occurring on the crossing in the last few months.
Graduation Exercises The commencement exercises held last Friday evening were greatly enjoyed by the large number in attendance. The High School class consisted of Maurice Turner, Valedictorian, Myrtle Qauife, Salutatorian, Bernard Cruden, Earl Maker, Maxine Olson, Louie Rasmussen, Ethel Burkholder, Alice Slingsby and Verna Taves.

June 19, 1931

W. Richardson Married at Kensal Monday

Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Richardson, Lester, Elroy and Elizabeth autoed to Kensal Sunday where they attended the wedding of their son and brother, Wendell, who was married to Miss Margaret Clancy at 10:00 a.m. Monday, June 15. Following the ceremony a wedding breakfast was served at the home of the bride's sister, with immediate relatives as guests. The young couple left on a six week's motor trip to the western coast and will be at home in Medina after Sept. 1.

June 26, 1931

Alver-McGee Rites Held at Wergin Home

June flowers in profusion adorned the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Wergin of California when the marriage of their daughter, Miss Jeanette Bernice McGee, and Oscar John Alver of Chicago, was solemnized at noon, Friday. Dr. Thomas Grice, pastor of Grace Methodist Church, was the officiant.
William Pankonin sang "O Promise Me" and "I Love You Truly.” Violin music was played for the processional.
The bride, who was given in marriage by her father, W. L. McGee, wore a gown of white satin and lace and a net veil caught with orange blossoms. Lilies of the valley, gardenias and maidenhair fern were in her shower bouquet. Her attendants were Misses Lillian and Luella Pettit of Santa Monica, bridesmaids, and Virginia Weber, flower girl. Fritz Vibe was best man.
Following the ceremony the bridal party and guests were served with an elaborate luncheon. The centerpiece was a bridal basket filled with pink roses and carnations and the wedding cake was topped by a tiny bridal pair.
For the wedding trip to San Diego and Caliente Mrs. Alver wore a traveling suit of orchid and eggshell wool with a hat of eggshell hue. Following their motor trip south Mr. and Mrs. Alver will go to Catalina Island for a short stay before going to Chicago, where they will be at home after August 15.
The bride, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. L. McGee of Sanborn, N. D., is a graduate of the High School department of Jamestown College, N. D., and of the Normal School in Valley City, N. D. She taught school in North Dakota for five years.
Mr. Alver is a former Superintendent of Schools I Dickey, County, N. D. He is a graduate of the Valley City Normal School.

Pretty Wedding Held At Church

Florence Sheldon of Blanchard weds a Nebraska Minister, the Rev. Sumner Williams, Methodist pastor at Springview.
The ceremony was performed in the presence of a large circle of friends, by Rev. W. S. J. Bleakley of Hunter, in the Presbyterian Church at Blanchard June 24, at 8 a.m.
The bride was attended by her sister, Dorothy, as bridesmaid and was given away by her father, M. L. Sheldon. She wore a veil and dainty dress of snow white chiffon, and carried a bouquet of exquisite pink roses. The bridesmaid was dressed a colorful frock of cornflower blue crepe georgette and held in her hand a bouquet of pink roses.
The groom was accompanied by Chris Kecker of Wishek, N. D. The church was tastefully decorated for the occasion by the bride's Sunday School class, assisted by the Sunday School. The decorations of white and green formed a chaste and simple background for the more colorful bridal party. Following the ceremony a wedding breakfast was served at the Sheldon home at 10 a.m. to a company of 75 invited guests. The bride and groom left by car for a trip to the Black Hills. They will be at home at Springview, Neb., the first week in July.
Laurabel Whetzel and Harry Larson Married Saturday Miss Laurabel Whetzel of Hunter and Harry B. Larson of Fargo were quietly married at 9 a.m. Saturday, June 20, at the First Lutheran church of Moorhead, with Rev. Sorenson the officiating minister. Witnesses were Harold Whetzel, brother of the bride, and Miss Helen Larson, sister of the groom.
Miss Whetzel is well and favorably known to this community, having spent all the years of her life in and near Hunter. She is a graduate of the local high school, and for the past few years has been employed in Fargo.
Following the wedding a dinner was served at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. L. C. Whetzel, Hunter, where places for 30 were laid.
The young couple left Saturday afternoon for Minneapolis and other points in Minnesota for a week's trip, after which they will be at home to their friends in Fargo, where the groom is employed at the Northern States Power Co.

July 3, 1931

Margaret Kelsey Married in California June 21

(Sacramento Calif. Union) Frank Reeves will claim Miss Margaret Kelsey as his bride at 10 o'clock this morning in the home of the latter's parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Kelsey. The rites will be read by Dean E. S. Bartlam before the fireplace, which will be covered by greenery and Shasta daisies. On either side will be tall ivory tapers.
Miss Beth McEnerney will be the bridesmaid and Elwood Tufts will be best man.
For the wedding the bride, whose father will give her in marriage, will wear a long white organdy gown having a snug fitting bodice. On the skirt are three circular flounces, and about the waistline is a white moire sash. With this the bride will wear white slippers. Miss McEnerney's gown of embroidered green organdy has a peplum at the hipline and a sash around the waist.
Mrs. W. L. Barclay of Idaho, an aunt of Miss Kelsey's, will play the wedding march and Mrs. Nita Schleuse of San Francisco, the bride's cousin, will sing “I Love You Truly.” Following a reception the couple will leave for the southern part of the state, where they will remain a fortnight.
Miss Kelsey, who was graduated from the Sacramento Junior college, also attended the State Teachers college at San Jose.
Reeves, son of Mr. and Mrs. E. B. Reeves of San Fernando, is connected with the Hewitt & Hewitt company of North Sacramento.

Miscellaneous Shower

Miss Marion McLean entertained a number of friends at her home Thursday afternoon at a miscellaneous shower complementary to Miss Beatrice Moen. Bridge was played during the afternoon, Mrs. Z. F. Hamilton winning high honors and Mrs. Harry Rasmussen taking the consolation prize. Lloyd David McLean, in a rather unique manner, presented the many lovely gifts to the happy bride-to-be. Refreshments were served late in the afternoon. Out of town guests were Mrs. Ella Sage of Washington, Miss Alice Johnson of California and Miss Fannie Magoffin.

Farewell Party

The members of the Catholic Ladies Aid surprised Mrs. L. D. McLean at her home Saturday evening. After a social evening a lunch of ice cream, cake and coffee was served. Mrs. McLean, who will leave soon for her new home in Buttzville, was presented with a gift from the Aid.
McLean Family to Buttzville The L. D. McLean family left Wednesday for Buttzville, where they have recently located. They will be greatly missed in Hunter for their five years of residence here, for their friends are legion. While very sorry to see them leaving our town, we send every good wish for their success, and hope they will be able to drop in occasionally to exchange greetings.

July 24, 1931

Jean McLachlin Honor Guest Monday Eve

Mrs. Thomas Edwards entertained Monday evening at the home of her mother, Mrs. L. E. Critchfield, in honor of Miss Jeanne McLachlin, a bride of this autumn. The guests were entertained at bridge, Mrs. E. I. Moen winning high honors and Edith Delf receiving consolation prize. After bridge a table covered with a pink and white umbrella which concealed the gifts was brought in and the gifts presented to the honor guest. Decorations were in pink and white and were carried out in the table appointments. The guest list included Ms. P. McLachlin, Erma McLachlin, Edna Zavitz, Mrs. L. W. Bullard, Beatrice Moen, Marion McLean, Alice Johnson, Edith Delf and Mmes. Howard Sage, Emery Johnson, George Hogenson, A. R. Sayer, E. I. Moen, Harry Rasmussen, Dallas Collins, and A. J. Piehl.

August 14, 1931

Philip Hamilton Married in Ohio Last Saturday

Philip B. Hamilton, son of Mr. an Mrs. Z. F. Hamilton, was married to Miss Dorothy Ramsdan of Cleveland, Ohio, Saturday morning, Aug. 8, in the Presbyterian Church of Cleveland.
The young couple left on a trip through Pennsylvania and Canada, and will make their home in Cleveland where Mr. Hamilton is employed as chemist with the American Aluminum Co.
Jeanne McLachlin to Become Bride Aug. 24 Miss Jeanne Kathleen McLachlin, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Peter McLachlin, Hunter, N. D., has chosen Monday, Aug. 24, as the date for her wedding to Robert G. Rohweder, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. G. Rohweder, Winona, Minn. The service will be read at 10 a.m. in the First Presbyterian church, Fargo.
Miss McLachlin has been an instructor in the Winona junior high school for the last two years. Mr. Rohweder is employed by the Swift company at Winona. - Fargo Forum.
Former Hunter People Visit at M. E. Parsonage Mr. and Mrs. John Dynes of Roseau, Minn., surprised the local pastor and wife by dropping in Saturday evening. The Dynes were residents 13 miles east of Hunter before settling in Minnesota some years ago. They are members of the M. E. Church there, which was the first pastorate of Rev. and Mrs. Bleakley.
Mr. Dynes is a successful farmer and carried off many of the coveted prizes at the Rose Co. fair this year. His cattle, sheep, horses, hogs and poultry made enviable records and netted about $125 in prizes. Mr. Dynes called on a few old timers in Hunter and renewed his acquaintance with some friends after the morning worship in Arthur.

August 21, 1931

News Items of Forty-Four Years Ago

Through the courtesy of Mr. J. H. Gale, who handed us a couple of copies of the Hunter Eye, we are able to publish the following Hunter and Arthur items taken from its issue of Jan. 28, 1887: Wheat 64 cents.

There is some hopes of Hunter having a bank in the near future.
Gale & Duffany sell the Radiant Home stoves-best in the world.
M. J. Burns left Saturday for an extended visit with friends and relatives in the east.
We are informed that parties are talking of starting a bank in Hunter. There is no reason why such an institution would not pay here, and we trust the enterprise will materialize and become one of the solid business institutions of our town. If the parties mean business, our business men should lend every effort to encourage the project, and we feel confident they will.

August 21, 1931


Before an improvised alter banked with gladioli and ferns, Miss Orma Goss, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Goss of Gardner became the bride of Theodore Shields of Fargo at noon, Saturday, in the Gardner Congregational Church. The services were read by Rev. R. V. Conard of Fargo. As the bridal party entered Miss Florence Lien played the bridal chorus from Lohengrin; Mendelssohn was played as a recessional. The bride wore a floor-length gown of white satin and a veil of tulle held in place with orange blossoms. She carried a bridal bouquet of Othelia roses and swansonia. Her attendant was her sister, Mrs. Herbert Friend, who wore pink crepe and carried an arm bouquet of pink roses. Mr. Friend was Mrs. Shields' attendant. After the ceremony a luncheon was served at the home of the bride's parents. The couple left Saturday for Iowa where they will visit Mr. Shields' parents and relatives of Mrs. Shields. Some Things Needed Here 44 Years Ago The following article was taken from The Hunter Eye in its issue of January 28, 1887: The town of Hunter, Cass Co., North Dakota, is twenty miles north of Casselton, and twenty-one miles south of Mayville, on the St. P. M. & M. Ry in the heart of the Red River Valley. The town is situated on a beautiful plateau and boasts of the finest location of any town in North Dakota, surrounded by the finest agricultural lands in the world. The first settlements were made in the fall of 1879, since which time the vast improvements made are a source of wonder to our settlers, as well as a source of just pride. The first railroad north from the Northern Pacific passed this point during the summer of 1880, when only a few shanties scattered over the vast prairie denoted the advance of civilization. Of four townships, with Hunter as a center, but seventy-five acres were broken up in 1879. Since then thousands of acres have been added to our cultivated fields each year, until our crops have turned the beam at about 300,000 bu. of wheat per annum. Where but a few years ago was a wilderness, now all is activity and push. Our people are composed of various nationalities but all are thoroughly Americanized and vie with each other in push and enterprise.
We need a bank; a grist mill, shoe shop, and several other things, including a brick yard, a location for which can be obtained with Mr. Muir, adjoining town, where clay, sand and water can be easily obtained. We also need five or six hundred good live farmers and business men, and respectfully invite an examination of our inducements and resources.

August 28, 1931/

Jeanne M'Lachlin Married At Fargo In Pres. Church

Snapdragons, larkspur and gladioluses were combined in a color scheme of pink and blue Monday decorating the women's club rooms of the First Presbyterian church of Fargo where marriage vows were spoken for Miss Jeanne Kathleen McLachlin, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Peter McLachlin, and Robert Rohweder, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. G. Rohweder of Winona, Minn.
Dr. A. W. Ratz, pastor, read the service at 10 a.m. in the presence of family members and a few intimate friends. The bridal party gathered in front of the fireplace which was banked with fernery and baskets of flowers. The room was lighted by white cathedral tapers in candelabra placed on either side of the fireplace. A variety of fall flowers was used throughout the room.
Preceding “The Brideal Chorus” from “Lohengrin” played by Miss Helen Roth, Valley City, vocal solos were sung by Mrs. Knute Froysaa, Valley City, an intimate friend of the McLachlin family, and Miss Janet Rohweder, a sister of the bridegroom. Mrs. Froysaa sang “Unto Thy Heart,” Allitsen, with a violin obligato by Mr. Froysaa, Head of the music department of Valley City Teachers college, who also played while the vows were read. Miss Rohweder sang “Beloved It is Morn.” Miss Roth was accompanist.
The bride, who entered with her father, by whom she was given in marriage, wore a floor length gown of flesh colored embroidered mousseline de soi with a long waisted, fitted bodice and tiared flared skirt. With it she wore a larkspur blue horsehair hat trimmed with baby ostrich feathers in ivory and blue. Her gloves and slippers were in larkspur blue kid and she carried a shower bouquet of pink roses and blue larkspur.
Miss Jessie McLachlin, a sister of the bride, bridesmaid, wore turquoise blue d'esprit made with a tight bodice and bouffant skirt to the floor. Her hat of blue horsehair was trimmed with velvet in a matching shade. She wore eggshell gloves and ivory and blue slippers. Her flowers were an arm bouquet of pink talisman roses. Mr. Rohweder was attended by Harry McLachlin, a brother of the bride.
Following the service and an informal reception a wedding breakfast was served in the private dining room of the Gardner hotel where covers were laid for 85. Centering the bride's table was the wedding cake topped with sweet peas in pastel shades. Pink tapers tied with pink tulle lighted the tables. The small tables were decorated with larkspur and sweet peas.
Mr. and Mrs. Rohweder left on a wedding trip to Banff and Lake Louise and will be at home in Winona Sept. 15. Mrs. Rohweder traveled in a knitted sport suit of grey with a travel coat in grey and red mixture.

Hunter Has Another Fire

Hunter escaped another serious fire Wednesday evening, when for a time the local fire department, assisted by the fire squads from Arthur and Galesburg, battled against a fire which broke out in the basement of the Mitchell harness shop. Just how the fire originated is a mystery, but it is probable that a box of oil soaked rags which had lain there several years, ignited. The fire was discovered about 6 o'clock when smoke rolled through the basement door in the Hamilton Drug Store. The alarm was given immediately and the fire boys responded in the usual prompt manner. The buildings of the Young Café, the Harness Shop and the Drug Store are connected and had the fire gained headway it would have destroyed the three buildings, and the brisk wind would have endangered a large portion of the town. Heavy clouds of smoke penetrated throughout the 3 buildings which resulted in some damage to the goods therein. The fire was confined to the basement and no estimate of the damage done has been made at this writing. The fire departments of Casselton and Amenia were on their way over to help fight the flames, but were notified and turned back when the fire was under control.

Beatrice Moen Married At Her Home Wed.

Before an altar of ferns arranged in the living room of the bride's home, Miss Beatrice Moen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. I. Moen, became the bride of Arthur Hardwick, son of Mrs. Bertha Hardwick, of Valley City Wednesday. Rev. Brudvig, pastor of the Hunter Luth. Church read the service at 10:30 a.m. in the presence of 30 relatives and intimate friends. Sweet peas and other late summer garden flowers decorated the home.
Before the entrance of the bridal party, Miss Hedvig Rice of Thief River Falls, Minn., a sorority sister of the bride, sang two solos, “Beloved It Is Morn” and “Because.” She was accompanied by Mrs. Emil Moen, who also played the nuptial marches, “The Bridal chorus” from “Lohengrin,” and Mendelssohn's “Wedding March.” The bride was attired in an ivory satin floor length gown made with a lace jacket. She carried a shower bouquet of bridal roses and lilies of the valley. Her maid of honor, Miss Myrtle Moen, wore rose beige lace and carried sweet peas and baby's breath. Mr. Hardwick was attended by William Moen, a brother of the bride.
Appointments in orchid and yellow were used for the wedding breakfast, which was served following the ceremony. The bride's cake centered the bridal table and garden flowers were used on the small tables.
Mr. and Mrs. Hardwick left on an automobile trip to Minneapolis and the Black Hills and will make their home at Valley City where Mr. Hardwick is employed as manager of the Valley City Steam Laundry.
Mrs. Hardwick is a graduate of Hunter high school and the University of North Dakota and has been engaged as a teacher in Tower City and Valley City. She also attended St. Olaf college. Here sorority is Alpha Phi.
Mr. Hardwick attended the Valley City State Teachers college.
Out of town guests were Mr. and Mrs. R. W. Oliver, Mr. and Mrs. Claude Miller and Miss Alice Bender of Fargo; O. E. Sands and E. C. Moen of Galesburg; Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Dyer of Devils Lake; Mrs. T. H. Miller of Walla Walla, Wash.; Miss Winifred Beach, Leavenworth, Wash.; Mr. and Mrs. Percy Ployhar, Valley City; Miss Marion McLean, Lisbon; Miss Mina Moen and Ray Moen of Colfax and Miss Ruth Hardwick of Valley City. News Stories 43 Years Ago

Feb. 24, 1908

Miss Iva Crooks returned from Casselton Monday, where she has been visiting friends and relatives.
Dr. Chas. N. Nelson of Hillsboro and C. H. McCarthy of Grand Forks were registered at the McComb last Saturday night.
Ed Mitchell has leased the building and fixtures of John Johnston, and has opened up a billiard hall, where he will dispense choice cigars and soft drinks.
Owing to the death of the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gale, who were to take prominent parts, the Washington party has been postponed until Thursday evening March 8th.
We are glad to learn that Frank Moody is on his feet again, and has resumed his agricultural business at Hunter. He lost a little money by his late trouble, but he says “it's worth it all to find out who your friends are.” He proposes to make it lively for some who crowded him-and he hope he will.
Robt. Morris, one of our farmer friends from near Galesburg, is visiting friends and relatives in Ontario, and dame rumor is authority for the statement that upon his return in the spring, Canada will lose one of the fairest flowers that ever bloomed on the shores of lake Huron. Rob's many friends hereabouts are anxiously awaiting his return, to extend congratulations.

September 4, 1931

Regena Siegert and Roy Debing Married Friday

Miss Regena Siegert of Hunter and Roy Debling of Lakota were married Aug. 28 at the Lutheran Parsonage at Clifford, with Rev. Brudvig officiating. The couple were attending by Mr. and Mrs. Emil Tetzloff. The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Siegert of this place, and the groom is also well known here, having been employed in the Baldock barber shop two years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Debing will make their home at Pillsbury, N. Dak., where Mr. Debing is engaged in the barber and pool hall business.
Family Reunion At The Quaife Farm Sunday About 30 persons were present at a family reunion held at the L. C. Quaife farm home last Sunday. Honor guest was Elmer Quaife of Iowa Falls, Ia. Others present were the Harold Quaife family of Arthur, the William and Lynn Quaife families, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Quaife, Miss Mirna Whitman of Iowa Falls, Miss Edna Roberts of Fargo.

September 11, 1931

Gas Blast Burns Fatal To George W. Gowenlock

Severely burned Monday when an oil and gas mixture he was preparing for a motor exploded, George W. Gowenlock of Fargo died in a Perham, Minn., hospital at 7 a.m. Tuesday. The accident occurred at a lake cottage near Perham.
Mr. Gowenlock was well known in this vicinity.


Funeral services were held from the Hunter Methodist Church Sunday afternoon for Margaret Eileen Mitchell, daughter of Guy E. Mitchell, who passed away at the Park Rapids, Minn., hospital Friday, Sept. 4.
Her death was a distinct shock to her family and friends, as she had been ill only 10 days previous to her death.
Margaret was born in Hunter, Oct. 26, 1913, and lived several years in Florida with her parents, coming back to Hunter in 1929. She remained here with her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Mitchell, and attended school during the 1929-30 term.
The last three days of her illness Margaret was in the Park Rapids hospital, where she died Friday from septicaemia pneumonia and complications. Left to mourn her untimely passing are her father and four sisters, Billie, Verna Rose, Neysa and Avis, and her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Mitchell.
Pallbearers were Maurice Turner, Walter Goss, Earl Maker, Kenneth Thompson, Pat Johnson and Herbert Johnson.
Out of town relatives who attended the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. John Latta and Caister Tree, Wheatland, Mrs. Ed Olson and son Ervin, and daughter Inez of Finley, Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Johnson of Huron, S. D., and Mr. and Mrs. H. A. O'Connor of Oakes.
The Times extends the hand of sympathy to the bereaved family.

September 18, 1931

Mrs. Wm. Rieke, Florence Rieke and L. D. Wagner of Erie visited a short time Sunday evening with Mrs. Sarah Zellmer.
An eight pound girl was born to Mr. and Mrs. John Levine Tuesday, Sept. 15.

Milton Lund Killed in Plane Crash Sunday

Minneapolis, Sept. 14-A commercial pilot and a student were killed yesterday when their plane crashed in a corn field just outside the city limits.
The dead are Milton Lund, 30, Minneapolis, pilot and sales manager for an aviation company, and Joseph E. Brooks, 26, Minneapolis, manager of a local furniture company.
Lund, who came to Minneapolis from Hunter, N. D., five years ago, had been flying for about two years and had received his limited commercial license. He is survived by his widow and his parents, the latter residing at Hunter, N. D.

George Tetzloff-Luella McClaflin

Miss Luella McClaflin of Valley City and George Tetzloff of Hunter were married Friday, Sept. 11, at Valley City. The ceremony was performed at the Methodist Church, with Rev. LaGrone officiating. Attendants of the young couple were the Misses Regina and Olga Tetzloff, sisters of the groom, and Renn and Glenn McClaflin, brothers of the bride. Following the ceremony a 6 o'clock wedding dinner was served at the home of the bride's mother, Mrs. Carrie McClaflin, who resides near Valley City. Mr. and Mrs. Tetzloff will make their home on a farm east of Hunter.

September 25, 1931

The Cause of Airplane Crash is a Mystery

A department of commerce investigation of an airplane accident which resulted in the death of two men Sunday, Sept. 13, failed to disclose the cause of the mishap. The victims were Joseph E. Brooks, 26, and Milton Lund, 30, both Minneapolis. The latter was formerly a Hunter boy. Both died almost instantly.
The two young men took off from the Minneapolis airport a few minutes before the crash, which occurred about 3 p.m. Residents near the scene of the accident said the plane was flying at an altitude of about 150 feet, and suddenly swooped downward and buried its nose in a cornfield. Inspection showed that the motor was in perfect working order. The only explanation that seems reasonable is that the plane went into a side slip and the pilot was unable to come out to it.
The plane lay buried on its nose in the midst of a cornfield about 2 blocks from the highway. One wing was draped over a shock of corn. The shock spouted from the side of the fuselage. The motor was buried in the dirt. So were the wheels. The body of the plane lay in a crumpled mass on the ground. Fund, the pilot, was tangled in the wreckage and was dead when extricated. The other occupant, Brooks, was lying beside the wreckage and was dead when the mean reached him.
Lund, the pilot, was about 30 years old and had been employed as mechanic and salesman for the Great Northern Aviation Co. at Wold-Chamberlain airport. The plane he was flying belonged to that firm. Lund moved to Minneapolis about five years ago from Hunter. He had been flying for about 2 years and had received his limited commercial license. He had 180 hours in the air to his credit, with about 20 remaining before he qualified as a transport pilot. His wife was waiting for him to return home, and the table was set for a dinner party for four, when she was informed of his death.
Besides his wife, he is survived by his parents of Hunter. Funeral services were held at the Lutheran church of Hunter, Sept. 20, and burial was made in the Hunter cemetery.

October 2, 1931

Little Lad Has Feet Severed By Hay Mower

Attracted by the shrill scream of his 3-year-old son, Charles, Ambrose Moffitt, Declo farmer, saw the mowing machine he was operating Tuesday morning mow the little one down. Hastening to the child his father was horrified to find the sharp mower blade had severed both little feet just above the ankles.
With the aid of the men in the field with him, and the baby's mother, the injured child was hastened to Rupert General hospital where surgery was performed and coming from under the anesthetic shortly after noon the little lad was resting easily. During the trip from Declo no word or cry of pain escaped the child's lips and it was stated the loss of blood was not great.
The accident took place about 8:30 o'clock in the morning where the men were working in the field adjoining the house and with the alfalfa as high or higher than the little boy's height, the father did not see the child running out to meet him.
The little fellow, heroic as a soldier, is standing the ordeal well and has a splendid chance to pull through. Shortly after coming out from under the anesthetic he lifted his limbs. Realizing the feet were missing he lisped to his father at his bedside: “Daddy, where are my little feet.” The case is one of the most pathetic ever in the local hospital.
Mr. and Mrs. Moffitt have lived in the Declo district about a year, coming from Missouri to take charge of the 400-acre farm of L. L. Maggert, of Burley, Mr. Moffitt being the nephew of Mrs. Maggart.
The little boy, the only son of his parents and the only child in the relationship here, was a general favorite, and all are stunned by the accident.
The foregoing is the account of the terrible accident which happened to the little three year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Ambrose Moffitt, taken from the Rupert Idaho Weekly.
Mrs. Moffitt will be remembered to Hunter friends as Marjorie Long before her marriage, having visited the Clarence Martin home several years ago. She is a niece of Mrs. Martin of near Hunter.

Joseph Schafer Dies Following Heart Attack Joseph Schafer, 67, farmer in West River township, Cass County, for 16 years, died at his home about 9 a.m. Friday following a heart attack.
Besides his widow, survivors include his sons, Harry, Argusville; Joseph, Jr., and Raymond at home, and his daughter, Mrs. Peter Jenson, Jr., in Illinois; Mrs. Horton Ford, Absaraka; Mrs. Harry McLachlin, Hunter, and Mrs. Neil Jenson at home.
The funeral was held at 9:30 a.m. Monday in St. Leo's Catholic church of Casselton, Rev. John Quillinan officiating.
Mrs. Peter Jenson, Jr., of Illinois was present for the funeral.

Shower on Mrs. W. Richardson

Last Friday evening in the neighborhood of sixty relatives and friends gathered at the Anton Feckler residence, which was the scene of a miscellaneous shower in honor of Mrs. Wendel Richardson, a bride of last June.
The evening was pleasantly spent in playing progressive whist, with high honors being won by Mrs. John Schieg and Mrs. L. H. Lloyd was consoled. Mrs. Richardson was the recipient of numerous household gifts from her many friends.
Mr. and Mrs. Richardson are at present making their home at Medina, where they are both employed as teachers in the school at that point.-Kensal Times.

October 16, 1931

Bridal Shower In Honor of Helen Hamilton Satur.

Mrs. Alonzo Piehl of Fargo entertained at the home of Mrs. Harold Garrett at a bridal shower in honor of Miss Helen Zee Hamilton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Z. F. Hamilton, whose marriage to Claude W. Nettle of Falsom, Calif., is to take place in November. Miss Hamilton is a graduate of Hunter high school. She spent four years in art work at the Minneapolis Art Institute and in Chicago. The past three years she has been employed at Sacramento, Calif. She is spending this month with her parents here.
Decorations were carried out in yellow and white. A small wagon of that color scheme bearing the gifts was brought in by Marilyn Rae Garrett. Guests were Mrs. Leslie Sansburn, Valley City; Helen Beck, Davenport; Mrs. Will Muir, Fargo; Mrs. Edwin Collins, Mrs. Dallas Collins, Mrs. C. S. Collins, Louise Collins, Mrs. Thomas Edwards, Mrs. Joe Baldock and Mrs. Z. F. Hamilton.
Bridge was played, Louise Collins and Helen Beck winning the prizes.

Dentist to Locate at Hunter Soon

We are glad to announce to the general public that a dentist is to locate in Hunter this week.
Dr. W. Lee Titsworth of Louisville, Ky., is a native of that state and is a graduate of the University of Kentucky. He received his B. S. degree in 1926, and for two years was principal and coach of the Kentucky High School. He is also a graduate of Louisville Dental School, a member of the Masonic Lodge No. 537 of Kentucky, a member of the Elks of Bowling Green, Ky., the Delta Sigma Delta Fraternity, oldest dental fraternity in the country.
Dr. Titsworth will be located in the former dental building. We welcome this new enterprise to our little city and when in need of any work in this line we urge you to have it done here.

October 23, 1931

Peter McLachlin Donates Potatoes

Peter McLachlin donated a carload of potatoes last Wednesday to be distributed in the drought area, which brought the number of carloads donated by Cass Co. up to 26.
The potatoes were picked, hauled and loaded by volunteer workers, which included: Peter Larson, Ed Larson, Nels Nelson, Andrew Lien, Albert Winistorfer, O. W. Parkhurst, Carl Skue, W. P. Osborne, Bill Moen, Harry McLachlin, Leslie McLachlin, Ed Collins, Louis Henstad, Ted Sorenson, Harry Leacock, Ralph Thompson, Joe Baldock, O. I. Grotte, all of Hunter and Bill Beck, Earl Ford and Byron Murdock of Grandin. Trucks were furnished by I. Moen and Tom Buchanan.

Asa Sherritt goes to Mayo Clinic

Asa Sherritt of Blanchard left last week for Rochester where he consulted to Mayo Bros. concerning an ailment from which he had suffered for several years. Saturday morning he underwent a major operation and is reported to be making satisfactory progress in his recovery. Mrs. Sherritt went to Rochester Friday.

Mrs. G. Brickson Taken To Forks

An ambulance from Grand Forks was used to remove Mrs. G. Brickson, who is still suffering from the results of a stroke, to the home of her son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. R. J. Caruth, at Grand Forks. No perceptible change has taken place in Mrs. Brickson's condition since the stroke occurred about four weeks ago. Nurse Mrs. Ostrander accompanied the patient and will remain there for several days. Mr. Brickson is also in Grand Forks.

Mrs. Annie Smith

Mrs. Annie Smith was born Aug. 15, 1834, in Telemarken, Norway, and died in the Old Peoples Home at Northwood, Oct. 23, 1931. She came to America at the age of 30 and settled in the state of Wisconsin. She came to Hunter 47 years ago and was united in marriage to George Smith in the year 1886. Her husband preceded her in death Oct. 31, 1923. She is survived by 3 stepchildren, namely, George Smith of Underwood, Mrs. Wm. Baldock of Galesburg and Mrs. James Tate of Hunter.

November 20, 1931

Miscellaneous Shower Given For Bride Wed.

Mrs. R. R. Mulholland and Mrs. A. M. Peterson entertained about 40 guests at the former's home, Monday night a miscellaneous shower complimentary to Mrs. Kenneth Thompson, a bride of this autumn. Progressive rook was played, with Mrs. J. G. Russell winning best prize and Mrs. Eric Tetzloff getting consolation prize. The honor guest received many beautiful gifts from her friends. Lunch was served by the hostesses about 11:30.

Charles Ross In Des Moines Bakery

Charles Ross, son of Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Ross of Arthur, has been named office manager for the Gladness Bakeries, Des Moines, Ia., office. He previously was at the home office in Minneapolis. He was graduated last June from the college of commerce at the University of Notre Dame.

December 4, 1931

Mrs. Homer Rusk of Hawthorne, Wis., and daughter, Beatrice, of Duluth arrived Saturday to attend funeral services of the former's father, the late Peter Hansen. She will spend about 3 weeks with her mother.

Grim Reaper Visits Another Hunter Home

Fritz Peter Hansen was born in Lolland, Denmark, March 13, 1867. He came to America in 1890, at the age of 23, and in 1892 was united in marriage to Clara Rasmussen, also of Denmark. They settled at the farm home west of Hunter where they still resided at the time of Mr. Hansen's death Friday evening, Nov. 27. Besides his widow, Mrs. Clara Hansen, he leaves to mourn his loss two children, Louie, of Hunter and Mrs. Ida Rusk of Hawthorne, Wis., two sisters, Mrs. Ida Kroll of Saginaw, Minn., and Charlotte Hansen of Denmark, and one brother, Valdermar, of Denmark. Seven Grandchildren also survive. He was a member of The Order of Odd Fellows and of the Danish Brotherhood of Hunter. Funeral services were held Monday afternoon from the Presbyterian church in Hunter, with Rev. Johnson of Casselton officiating. Members of the I. O. O. F. took part in the services at the cemetery. Interment was in the Hunter cemetery.
The passing of this pioneer citizen came as a distinct shock to relatives and his host of friends, as he lived only two days after being stricken with this illness. His death caused much sadness in this community where he has lived and labored for about 40 years. The Times joins their many friends in extending heartfelt sympathy to the bereaved ones.


Miss Edna Zavitz, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. P. McLachlin, was married at high noon Saturday, Nov. 28, to Mr. W. L. Collins, in the Presbyterian church at Anaconda, Mont. Miss Zavitz has been employed as purchasing agent and dietician at the N. P. hospital during the past 5 years. Mr. Collins is Supt. of the freight ticket department of the Butte, Anaconda and N. P. Railroad. The couple left immediately for Los Angeles where they will spend two weeks.

December 11, 1931

Louis Erdahl Passed Away Last Friday

Funeral services for Louis Erdahl, 62, who died here late Friday, were held Wednesday at 2 p.m. in McVille, N. D., his former home. While not enjoying the best of health recently, his death came as a shock to everyone, as he was apparently well during the day until the attack of illness less than an hour before his death. Mr. Erdahl had been a resident of Hunter for several years, having operated the town mill for about 7 years and of which he had charge until the time of his death. Surviving are his wife, two daughters, Glenna and Mrs. Edwin Dorr, all of Jamestown, and one son, Russell of Barry, Minn. Mrs. Erdahl, Glenna, Russell and Mr. and Mrs. Dorr were in Hunter Saturday to make funeral arrangements, leaving Sunday.

December 18, 1931

Miscellaneous Shower

Mrs. Eric Tetzloff, assisted by Mrs. Emil Tetzloff, entertained a group of ladies at a miscellaneous shower in honor of Miss Olga Tetzloff Thursday of last week at the former's home. Progressive whist was played, first prize being won by Mrs. Harl Collins and consolidation by Miss Tetzloff. A decorated wagon containing the gifts was drawn into the room by little Carol Tetzloff dressed as a bride and Gerald Baldock as groom. Miss Tetzloff was married Tuesday, Dec. 15, to Mr. Elmer Yeager of Madelia, Minn. They will make their home in Fairmont, where Mr. Yeager is employed as mail carrier.

2012 Copyrighted and Contributed by Steven Pueppke

Newspaper Extractions Index
Back to the Cass County, NDGenWeb