Hunter News 1933 Hunter Herald

January 6, 1933


The dissatisfaction evinced by local people toward the referee (Walt Collins) in the game between Valley City and Hunter, surely deserves some comment.
Valley City with Claudie Miller of course was expected to win easily but it seems that Hunter with just plain farmers were just as good and local supporters now think they are better than Valley City. Some believe that the referee won the game for Valley City. I wonder how many would care to referee? Not any of the braying rooters! It is an unpaid, thankless job at the best and has a reward you usually get blamed and your honesty is always in question by rabid fans and players alike, no matter who wins. In tribute to Walt let me say that no person can honestly claim that he would favor either team. He surely gets no pay and no happiness out of refereeing. Without being sentimental I can say that he is a real sportsman and gentleman as we all know. Everyone makes an error, whether in judgment or behavior, and if Walter Collins erred while refereeing it is because he is a human being. Aren't we all?
However, my belief is that Walter was right and in any event the crowd showed itself as unsportsmanlike toward the referee and toward the visitors.

January 20, 1933

Herb Nesbitt Passed Away

Relatives and friends were shocked when a message was delivered early Friday telling of the death of J. H. Nesbitt on Thursday, Jan. 12, at 8:15 p.m. The news came as a complete surprise, for Mr. Nesbitt had been enjoying good health until the last two weeks, when he was ill with neuralgia of the heart. Word received by Mrs. T. J. Myers on the morning of her father's death told of his apparent improvement and stated that he was able to be up. Stricken suddenly Thursday evening, he died about one-half hour after the attack. J. H. Nesbitt, known to his many friends as Herb, was born at Woodstock, Ontario, May 4, 1868. He was united in marriage to Miss Jane Mitchell of Hanover, Ont. In 1894 they moved to Grand Rapids, Mich., where they resided until 1905 when they moved to Wheatland, coming to Hunter in 1906. Mrs. Nesbitt preceded her husband in death Oct. 14, 1929. Mr. Nesbitt left Hunter Oct. 15, 1931, going to Muskegon, Mich., where he was married Oct. 20 to Mrs. Callie Panney of that place. They have resided there since. He passed away at his home Thursday, Jan. 12, 1933 at the age of 64 years. Funeral services were held at Muskegon Monday at 2 o'clock and burial was made there. Surviving besides his wife are 3 daughters, Mrs. T. J. Myers of Hunter, Mrs. L. C. Collins of Peoria, Ill., and Mrs. F. A. Kiest of Denver, Colo., a brother, Bert C. Nesbitt of Grand Rapids, Mich., and eleven grandchildren. Mrs. Collins and Mr. and Mrs. B. C. Nesbitt attended the funeral services. Mr. Nesbitt was a member of the Hunter I. O. O. F. and the Canadian Order of Foresters at the time of his death. He also belonged for a number of years to the Woodmen and Muskovite lodges of Hunter.

Hunter Child Dies On Reaching Fargo Hosp.

Hurried to Fargo for treatment, Glen Ardell Kyllo, 19-day-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Ben Kyllo, Hunter, N. D., died Tuesday upon reaching the hospital here. Death was due to acute enteritis.
The child had been ill for a few days at home, but did not become serious until Monday night. A physician at Hunter advised the parents to bring the child to Fargo. The child was dead when brought to a Fargo physician. The body was taken home for burial. - Fargo Forum

January 27, 1933

Rev. Medland's Father Is Dead

Word was received here this week of the death Sunday, January 22, of Mr. William Medland, formerly of Hunter, now of Cavalier, N. D. Mr. Medland, aged 86 years, had been failing in health during the past year. He made his home with his son and funeral services were held at Cavalier Wednesday.

February 3, 1933

News of 47 Years Ago

Remember way back when? For instance Feb. 20, 1896. Recently we were handed a couple of copies of “The Hunter Hawk,” published some 47 years past. Raymond Hoy is the possessor of these papers. Herewith are a few extracts of one issue. A few more will be printed next week. The lumber is on the ground for the new store building of A. T. Gamble.
S. D. Richardson is smiling over the arrival of a nine pounder-a boy. Mother and child are doing well.
Mr. Moody states that he expects his partner, Mr. Robt. McNall, will be in Hunter about the last of this month.
Mr. Jones arrived from St. Paul last Saturday to take charge of Gale & Duffany's tin shop. Mr. Jones comes very highly recommended.
J. R. Gale of the firm of Gale & Duffany started east yesterday to purchase a stock of hardware. Gale is a good one and you can bet he will have a good stock.
D. J. Eyres entertained a large party of his neighbors and friends Wednesday afternoon and evening. Everyone says they had a good time, only a few who were uninvited find any fault.
Mr. Fish has arrived from Fargo to do the painting on Gale & Duffany's store. Where is the man who will open a barber shop in Hunter? This is a good opening and the one who opens a good barber shop will receive a good support from the gentlemen of Hunter. Everybody is inquiring what's the matter with Tom Armstrong. Well, Tom has resolved to quit the use of tobacco; he has quit three days now-good thing Tom. Keep it up and we hope some of the other ones will follow your example.

February 3, 1933

News of 47 Years Ago

Henry Duffany departed for a trip east last Monday. Mrs. W. H. Simmonds returned from the St. Paul carnival last Tuesday. “Fish” is doing himself proud painting the inside of Gale & Duffany's new store. Fish is a good one and no mistake. Mrs. J. H. Gale returned from St. Paul Tuesday morning. Mr. G. went farther east for the purpose of obtaining a full spring stock. Several of the young men of Hunter, who heard the rumor that there had been a murder at Blanchard, pumped a hand car twelve miles to see the victims but found the alleged murder was a clear case of “mistaken identity.” Mr. Lindsey, of Casselton, a brother of the jeweler at that place, came to Hunter last Monday and engaged a room from Ostrander & Cummings where he expects to open a jewelry store and watch repair. We wish him success.


Torwald Emanuel Thompson passed away at his farm home near Hunter Feb. 7, 1933, at the age of 48 years, 11 months, and 7 days, after only a few days illness of pneumonia. Mr. Thompson was born in Hunter in 1890 and grew to manhood here. With the exception of ten years spent in Montana, from where he returned in 1925, he was engaged in operating the home farm near Hunter. Left to mourn the loss of a beloved son and brother are his mother, Mrs. Hannah Thompson, two brothers, Edwin and Anton, both of Hunter, two sisters, Agnes at home and Mrs. Burt Van Zee, also of Hunter. His father, Christ Thompson, preceded him in death in 1928, a brother, Almar, who served in the U. S. Army, passed away in Fargo, N. D. in the fall of 1918 and a sister, Mrs. Oliver Hendrickson passed away in 1927. Funeral services will be held from the Hunter Lutheran church Friday, Feb. 10, at 2:00 p.m. with Rev. Brudvig of Clifford officiating.

February 17, 1933

Wm. Bartz Found Frozen To Death

The body of William H. Bartz, 45 year old Cass county farmer, was found Wednesday by neighbors on a side road 3 miles south of Galesburg. His stalled car was found four miles south from the place his body was discovered. Apparently Mr. Bartz was walking for help and was overcome by cold and exhaustion. He is believed to have a brother, George, residing at White Rock, S. D. Robt. Campbell Gets 25 Years Robert Campbell, alias Goldie Benton, Fargo, was sentenced to serve 25 years in the state penitentiary for robbing the First National Bank here Sept. 3. Sentence was pronounced by Judge Daniel B. Holt Wednesday, after being found guilty by the jury Sunday. Campbell has consistently maintained his innocence and has been granted a stay of execution for 10 days to permit his attorney to file a motion for a new trial.

Private Funeral Services Held for Aaron Sherritt

Aaron Sherritt, 76, a pioneer resident of North Dakota, died Feb. 7 at Corpus Christi, Texas, where he was spending the winter, and the body has been brought to Fargo for burial.
Mr. Sherritt was born July 7, 1866, in Ontario and came to Fargo in 1879, where he worked a short time as a carpenter. Later he took a homestead near Blanchard, N. D., and there worked as a contractor and carpenter in addition to farming. On Dec. 12, 1887, he was married to Ellen Dora Wilson in the English church in Seaforth, Ont., and in March 1888, they went to the homestead, and have resided there since, with the exception of the last few years, which have been spent either with children in Grandin, or traveling. For 15 years they have spent the winters in Texas, Florida and California and several months each summer have spent at their summer home on Pelican Lake. Mr. Sherritt was a charter member of Hunter lodge No. 62, A. F. and A. M., and a member of the Presbyterian church in Blanchard.
Surviving besides Mrs. Sherritt, who was with her husband in Corpus Christi, are these sons and daughters: A. Ray Sherritt, Grandin; Mrs. Floyd Lofthus, Hawley, Minn.; Asa W. Sherritt, Hunter; Floyd John Sherritt, Blanchard; Lloyd Sherritt, Grandin, and Mrs. Alice Rachel Black, Grandin. Lloyd also was with his father when he died. A son, Carlton, died four years ago. Surviving also is a sister, Mrs. Rebecca Neil, Walton, Ont. Private funeral services will be held at the O. J. Hanson chapel at 2 p.m. Monday. The body will lie at the chapel until time of services. After the funeral, the body will be placed in the vault at Riverside cemetery until spring when public burial services will be at the Presbyterian church in Blanchard. Burial will be in the Hunter cemetery. The Fargo Forum.

March 3, 1933

Accidental Death At Blabon Sunday

Sylvia Parkman of Blabon, N. D., who is staying at the home of Mrs. Anna Fiske and attending school here, received the sad news of the accidental death of her brother, Jimmy, aged 11, which occurred Sunday, Feb. 26. The lad left home about 2 o'clock to search for bottles which could be sold. Usually he returned home about five o'clock and when he failed to come the family began to search for him. About 7 o'clock they found the body in an abandoned blacksmith shop building which was near the boy's home. His body was hung up in a trap door and death had occurred about 4 hours previous to the finding of the body. Funeral services were held Wednesday from the M. E. church at Finley and burial was in the Finley cemetery. Alex Youngbeck and his companion, Lester Eckland, conducted the services. Surviving are the mother, stepfather, 2 brothers, 4 sisters and 2 stepsisters.
G. A. Thorson autoed to Blabon Monday morning accompanied by Sylvia Parkman, Mrs. Fiske and Mrs. C. Richtsmeier. They returned Monday evening, Miss Parkman remaining at Blabon, Mrs. Fiske and daughter, Opal, and Carl and Laura Richtsmeier attended the funeral services at Finley Wednesday.

March 10, 1933

Funeral Services for Anton F. Anderson Thursday

Funeral services were held from the Hunter Lutheran church Thursday at 2:00 p.m. for Anton F. Anderson who died Monday after a short illness of pneumonia. Short services were held at the Anderson home at 1 o'clock. We have been unable to get a complete obituary this week but will publish it next week.

March 17, 1933

Farewell Party

Mr. and Mrs. B. B. Elliott were honored at a farewell party given in the basement of the M. E. church last Friday evening. About 90 friends from Hunter and Arthur were present. A splendid program of musical numbers and readings was given and a lunch of ice cream and cake was served. Mr. and Mrs. Elliott left Hunter Thursday and will locate at Thief River Falls, Minn., where Mr. Elliott will be overseer of a small farm.

April 14, 1933

Mr. and Mrs. Harl Collins family left Hunter last Saturday and have located at Oriska. Mr. Collins is remaining here for the time being, retaining his employment at the Holes farm.

Last Rites for Aaron Sherritt

Funeral services will be held at Blanchard Thursday, April 20, in the Presbyterian Church for Aaron Sherritt whose body has been laying at rest in a vault in a Fargo cemetery. Mr. Sherritt died Feb. 7 at Corpus Christi, Texas, where he had been spending the winter. Two ministers, Rev. Black and Rev. McDonald, will officiate at last rites for Mr. Sherritt. Burial will take place at the Hunter cemetery where members of the Masonic Lodge of that city will be in charge of the internment. Active pallbearers will be C. R. Neely of Le Pas, Manitoba; Fred Hockeson, Cormorant, Minn.; O. W. Parkhurst, Hunter; George Cox, Andrew McSparron and Frank Cormack, all of Grandin. Honorary pallbearers will be J. H. Gale, H. H. Carr and Peter McLachlin, Hunter; Ed McGregor, Hendrum; A. S. Dantley and J. F. Johnson, Grandin; Gunder Howard and Tom S. Farr, Hillsboro. Survivors besides Mrs. Sherritt who now lives at Fargo, are the following sons and daughters; A. Ray Sherritt, Grandin; Mrs. Floyd Lofthus, Hawley, Minn.; Asa W. Sherritt, Hunter; Floyd John Sherritt, Blanchard; Lloyd Sherritt, Grandin; Mrs. Alice Rachel Black, Naches, Wash.

Mrs. Godfrey H. Knight

Mrs. Godfrey H. Knight, 78, died at her Fargo home Wednesday, Apr. 12. She had been suffering from a paralytic stroke for several days. In 1882 Mr. and Mrs. Knight located on the farm between Hunter and Grandin, now known as the Twin City farm, where they resided until moving to Fargo about 44 years ago. Private funeral services will be held Friday at 10 a.m. in the Moor Funeral Chapel at Fargo and burial will be at the Hunter cemetery.

May 19, 1933

Mrs. E. Borre Laid To Rest Last Sunday

Cena Fredrickson was born April 23rd, 1877, in Denmark. When a girl of 12 years she crossed the Atlantic with her parents, settling in this community. In the year of 1899-1900 she attended Carleton college and then spent several years teaching school. In 1903 she was united in marriage to Emil Borre, who was at that time an employee of the Gale-Carr Merc. Co. A daughter was born to them in 1910 but died in infancy. During the winter of 26-27 they made their home in Florida and upon their return here they became stockholders in the Gale-Carr Merc. Co. and from that time Mrs. Borre worked in the store until her failing health made it impossible. She was a member of the Presbyterian church and for many years was a teacher of Sunday school there. She also served on the board of trustees for the church for many years and was a member of the board at the time of her death. About two years ago she began to suffer from a brain tumor and though the best medical aid was sought, the results were not satisfactory. Six months ago she underwent a very critical operation at Rochester and returned home hopeful, but there was a recurrence of her ailment and again she began to fail. Friday morning, May 12, at 5:30 A.M. her spirit winged its flight out from the clay tenement of the body to enter upon its larger development. Funeral services were held from the Presbyterian church Sunday, May 14, at 8:00 P.M., conducted by Rev. Geo. R. Hull. A group of girls from the Sunday school class taught by Mrs. Borre sang “The Lord is My Shepherd” and “Now the Day is Over.” Pallbearers were O. W. Parkhouse, H. H. Carr, C. S. Collins, Z. F. Hamilton, P. McLachlin and J. G. Russell. Interment was in the family lot in the local cemetery. Surviving are her husband, her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Fredrickson, all of Hunter, a sister, Mrs. Fred Aronson of Seattle, Wash., and an uncle, Niels Larsen, of Hunter.
The going of this noble heart and generous spirit is a distinct loss not only to her immediate family but to the whole community.

May 26, 1933

Prize Winning Pioneer Story

In a Pioneer Story Contest sponsored by the Mandan Creamery & Produce Co., Helen Larsen won fourth prize with the life story of Mrs. E. H. Holte and parents near Perley. Ten prizes were offered and thousands of stories were submitted from the states of North and South Dakota, Minnesota, Montana and Wisconsin. Stories were limited to 1,000 words. The Story In May, 1866, Mr. Martin Schow with his family embarked from Norway in a sailing vessel, and after traveling 14 weeks 3 days landed in America. After residing in Fillmore county, Minn., for four years he moved in June 1870 to the Red River Valley twenty miles north of Fargo to what is now Cass county, North Dakota. This trip was made in a covered wagon drawn by two teams of oxen. Mr. Schow and his family were the first white people to settle in the Red River Valley in Dakota Territory. The only thing which marked the site of the present location of Fargo, as they passed through, was a dead horse. The entire valley was infested with a weedy growth which ranged to a height of six feet, and a mass of shrubby trees. The Schow family made their new home on the banks of the Red River. Their neighbors consisted of Sioux and Chippewa Indians and a prairie teeming with the life of large herds of buffalo and elk, and other smaller animals such as foxes, wolves, skunks, minks and badgers. Mosquitoes were so large and numerous that the face and hands had to be completely covered to insure any form of comfort. Mr. Schow at once began to erect a small hut of sticks covered with dry prairie grass. When this was completed the family moved the small cook stove into this one room abode and often snakes sought the comforts of their home by coming down through the chimney. They kept their sleeping quarters in the covered wagon the rest of the summer. A few days after their arrival, a young man who had accompanied the family from Minnesota started on a return trip to Sauk Center, Minn., for provisions. This was their nearest town a distance of 185 miles. This young man left Dakota in June and returned in December just before the Christmas holidays. Imagine the joy of the family on receiving flour and salt. The little girls were provided with quilt calico for “best dresses” and overall cloth for everyday use, and a pair of shoes for each. The daily ration consisted almost entirely of cod fish, or small game bagged by Mr. Schow with his handmade bullets, and coffee made from roasted oak nuts. Tobacco was obtained from the bark of trees. In the latter part of June of that same year Mr. Schow departed with the other team of oxen for the west to approximately where Jamestown is now located, to assist with the laying of the road bed of the N. P. railroad, the first railroad to enter Dakota territory. No communication whatever existed between he and his family until his return in the latter part of November. He then proceeded to chop down trees and build a very simple one room log cabin which was plastered with clay from the river bank. At one time during the first winter the entire family except Mr. Schow and one little girl took sick with a sort of prairie malady, which left some of them speechless and others unable to move for a long period of time. This disease took the life of the young man who had been such a constant helper to these struggling pioneers. Medical aid, of course, was unheard of. Then followed years of arduous labor of grubbing trees, burning weeds and plowing with a walking plow, only to have their small field often devoured by grasshoppers and other insect pests. The harvesting and threshing, if there was any to be done, was performed entirely by hand. During these early years their only contact with the outside world was with Indians and breeds traveling through with furs from Canada to the Twin Cities. The squeaking of these Red River wooden carts on which the furs were carried could be heard for miles. Mrs. Stein of the Hudson Bay Fur Trading Post, which became located seven miles from the Schow homestead employed Clara, the oldest girl, to assist her with the duties at the post. For a year's work the girl received a hen and a rooster. The fowls were kept in the ground cellar under the house, the biddy ventured to the living quarters and laid her egg in the bed or any other convenient place allotted to her. This was the beginning of their poultry flock which was very difficult to raise due to the many wild animals lurking in the wilderness. In 1879 when the first steam boats came up the Red River the family received their first “cash” by selling dairy products to the boat's crew.
Mr. Martin Schow became a prominent farmer of Noble Township, Cass County. A man highly esteemed by all who knew him. He was buried in the township he helped build to its present standard of civilization. Note-His oldest daughter is the present Mrs. O. E. Flatten of Moorhead; the second girl is Mrs. E. H. Holte of Gardner (who recounted this story), whose husband served in the 2nd state legislature for two terms and was one of the founders of Concordia College. Her son, Mr. M. E. Holte, is at present a member of the North Dakota state legislature from the 11th district.

May 26, 1933


The marriage of Miss Helen Mutinsky to Henry Rasmussen took place yesterday afternoon, (May 18) at three o'clock at their future home on Garfield street. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Harry Poll in the presence of a company of relatives and close friends of the bridal couple. The bride was attractive in a gown of blue silk with white hat, slippers and gloves, and carried a bouquet of white roses. She was attended by her sister, Miss Mary Mutinsky, whose dress was of rose colored silk, with grey slippers and hat. Her bouquet was of white roses with orange tulle. The bridegroom was attended by Raymond Boyer as best man. Both wore dark blue suits and rose boutonnieres. Following the ceremony a 3-course wedding dinner was served at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Ms. Joseph Holan of East Water St., to the bridal party and relatives.
The bride has always lived in Austin. She was employed for 5 years at the Elk Hotel, and for the last year at Kaibel's restaurant. The bridegroom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. James Rasmussen of Hunter, N. D., and has been employed at Geo. A. Hormel & Co. for the last 7 years. Mr. and Mrs. Rasmussen left Hunter and Fargo on a week's wedding trip after which they will return to Austin and will reside in their new home, 706 East Garfield St., which is in complete readiness for them.

Austin (Minn.) Daily Herald.

N. D. - Mr. and Mrs. Rasmussen arrived here last Friday for a week's visit with relatives.

Twelve Graduate From High School
A class of 12 will be graduated from the Hunter High School at commencement exercises Thursday, May 25. Those who will receive diplomas are Louise Parkhurst, Jane Gale, Lucille Olson, Mavis Fisk, Ruby Anderson, Emma Gotfredsen, Gerda Bergman, Frances Holes, Dorothy Taves, Lewis Sutton, Walter Leidal and Ralph Fralish. Valedictorian honors go to Louise Parkhurst and Jane Gale will be salutatorian. The commencement address will be delivered by Dr. W. J. Hutchinson of Fargo. Class night exercises were held Wednesday night. The class members were assisted by other high school students in presenting a unique, colorful exercise, “Gypsies For a Day.” This unusual manner of carrying out traditional class night functions won the compliments of the large, appreciative audience. Baccalaureate services were held Sunday evening with the sermon by Rev. Geo. R. Hull.

June 9, 1933

Geo. Brewster Married

The marriage of George Brewster to Miss Cora Bale of Galchutt occurred Saturday, June 3 at the M. E. church in Wahpeton. They left on a motor trip to Itasca Park where they will spend their honeymoon. They will be at home to their friends after Sept. 1st in Hunter.

June 23, 1933

Alma Anderson Lester Richardson Married

Miss Alma Anderson, daughter of Mr. O. S. Anderson of Page, N. D., became the bride of Lester Richardson, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Richardson of Hunter, N. D., Wednesday, June 21, at the bride's home near Page, the service being read by Rev. A. L. Lindstrom of Hunter. Alice Anderson, sister of the bride, sang “I Love You Truly,” after which she played “The wedding march” from Lohengrin, as the bride entered attended by Elizabeth Richardson, sister of the bridegroom. The bride wore a peach organdy gown and carried a bouquet of pink roses and baby breath. The bridesmaid wore a lavender organdy frock.
Ed Anderson, the bride's brother, attended Mr. Richardson.
The wedding dinner was served at the Anderson home immediately following the ceremony.
Mr. and Mrs. Richardson will be at their home near Page upon their return from a visit in the Minnesota Lake region.

June 30, 1933

Makers Celebrate Silver Wedding Anniversary Sun.

Mr. and Mrs. F. J. Maker were pleasantly surprised by about 60 guests Sunday in honor of the silver wedding anniversary. The Makers were invited to the G. A. Williams home for dinner and when they had been there a few minutes the crowd, which had assembled at the Ramstad home, came with honking of horns and lots of gaiety. Dinner was served at 2 o'clock after which a mock wedding was performed. The ceremony took place in the parlor. The couple united in marriage were Lyle Ramstad as a blushing and very shy young bride and Mrs. Geo. Quaife as the small but dauntless groom. They were preceded by Mr. Janke, Wilfred Hudson, Harold Hoxie, and Geo. Quaife as flower girls and strewed brown paper roses in their path. The prim and sedate person, Mrs. Williams, read the farce ceremony and the ring bearer, Myrtle Quaife, managed to hand the ring to the groom without dropping it. The bride was dressed in pale green batiste trimmed with white organdy. Her long train (made of two curtains sewed together) was carried by Morita Quaife and Evelyn McAuley. The bride carried a rolling pin. The groom was dressed in blue overalls and a red and black checked shirt and carried a bouquet of weeping willows. After the ceremony the audience was allowed to view the remains. A silver offering was collected and presented by Mrs. Wilfred Hudson to Mr. and Mrs. Maker. The rest of the afternoon was spent in playing baseball and all enjoyed themselves in spite of frequent downpours.
Out of town guests included Mr. and Mrs. Schmiezing and family of Leonard, Mr. and Mrs. Dreager and son of Moorhead and Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Sondrall and son of Fargo.

July 21, 1933

Mrs. G. Tetzloff, 67, Passes On

Mrs. Gust Tetzloff, farm resident near Grandin, died Monday at 4 p.m. in a Fargo hospital. She was born April 19, 1866, in Germany, and came to the United States 45 years ago.
Funeral services were conducted Thursday at 1 p.m. in the home and at 2 p.m. in the Grandin Lutheran Church. Burial was in the Grandin cemetery.
Survivors are her husband and nine children: Mrs. Ed Tetzloff, Arnold, George and Miss Regina, all of Grandin; Mrs. Elmer Jager, Fairmont, Minn.; Erick, Hunter; Emil, Gilbert, Minn.; Mrs. Fred Heldt, Peru, Ill.; Mrs. William Pfeil, Medalia, Minn.; and a brother and sister, Fred Wagner and Mrs. Louis Hoeft, both of Stewart, Minn. Fifteen grandchildren also survive.

Gunerius Brickson Died Last Thurs.

Funeral services were held last Saturday at 3:30 p.m. from the Hanson Undertaking Parlors, Grand Forks, for Gunerius Brickson, who died Thursday at 1:00 a.m., at the home of his daughter, Mrs. R. J. Caroth, Grand Forks. Death was caused by a heart attack, though Mr. Brickson had been in failing health for several years. Compete obituary has not been available for this issue, but will be published next week.

July 28, 1933

Hunter Bank Robber Suspect Held At Fargo

Sheriff Peter MacArthur of Cass county returned from Minneapolis late Tuesday night with Esther Kinn, suspected of being one of four persons who robbed the Hunter bank Sept. 3, 1932. The woman was implicated by Matt Clockson, 26, who has confessed that he, the Kinn woman and another couple whom he named as Mr. and Mrs. Bob Moore, robbed the bank. Clockson is being held in Minneapols in connection with several robberies, including the holdup of a street car conductor, MacArthur said. A warrant for his arrest has been issued and forwarded to Minneapolis in case he is released there. Meanwhile a motion for a new trial for Robert Campbell, alias Robert (Goldie) Benton, Fargo, who is serving 25 years for the bank robbery, has been made and is scheduled for hearing at 10 a.m. today (Thursday). In Clockson's confession to Minneapolis authorities, he absolved Campbell of any part in the robbery. This story is borne out further, Minneapolis police say, by a comparison of fingerprints of Campbell and those of the man named by Clockson. Campbell's fingerprints and those of the man sought do not correspond, it was said. - Fargo Forum. Powlison-Mosher Reunion The Powlison-Mosher reunion was held at the J. C. Richardson home in Hunter Sunday, June 23. Forty-three relatives and friends attended. The out of state guests were Mrs. C. D. Brewer of Seattle, Wash.; and Mr. and Ms. Harry Mosher of Lynwood, Cal. Others attending were Mr. and Mrs. F. W. Powlison and family, Mr. Crest Fahler, Miss Ann Wallorey, Mrs. Tillie Mosher and daughter Irene and Bernice, all of Fargo; Mr. and Mrs. Howard Powlison and Miss Tute McQuide of Wheatland; Mr. and Mrs. H. F. Nutting, and Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Mosher and family of Erie: and Mr. and Mrs. L. C. Richardson and Miss Faith Anderson of Page. The Hunter families present were Mr. and Mrs. L. D. Powlison, Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Fisk and family and Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Richardson and family.

August 11, 1933

Graveled Road Thru Hunter Next Month

At last we are to have a graveled road running through Hunter. Program maps as submitted by the state highway department have been approved by federal officials. The road program is part of North Dakota's emergency construction in connection with national economic recovery plans. Included in the first contract lettings Sept. 8 is the grading of 10 miles west from Gardner. In the proposed second September lettings is the surfacing of six miles through Hunter. This stretch of road is what Hunter citizens have been wanting graveled for some time and we are sure this will be good news to the whole community. The 2 1-2 miles south of Hunter to the gravel have been a veritable sore-thumb whenever a big rain has fallen but with this stretch graveled the difficulty will be overcome. We are told a gravel pit has been located about six miles east and two miles south of Blanchard.


Frances Snelgrove was born Dec. 9, 1849 at Ingersoll, Ont., Canada, where she lived until the time of her marriage July 8th, 1884 to Thomas Hockridge of the same place. Soon after the marriage they moved to St. Louis, Mo., where they made their headquarters during the 14 years Mr. Hockridge was employed as Captain and pilot on a government boat on the Mississippi River. Three children were born to this union, all dying in infancy. In 1898 the Hockridges moved to North Dakota, settling on the farm 2 1-2 miles north of Arthur and which Mrs. Hockridge still owned at the time of her death. After living on the farm for 11 years, they moved to Hunter to the home where they resided since. Thomas Hockridge who served as county commissioner for a period of 12 years, died July 20, 1930. The following spring Mrs. Wm. Hockridge of Wilson, N. Y., a sister-in-law and niece of Ms. T. C. Hockridge arrived and since that time lived here as a companion. July 23, 1933, the deceased suffered an apoplectic stroke, which together with complications, caused her death 13 days later, Aug. 3. Funeral services were held from the home Saturday afternoon, Rev. Geo. R. Hull officiating. Mrs. Wm. Boyce sang “Abide with Me” and Eastern Star members had charge of the services at the cemetery. Pallbearers were Peter McLachlin, H. H. Carr, O. W. Parkhurst, Nels Rosvall, R. A. Sayer and C. S. Collins. Survivors are a half sister, Mrs. Emma Kennedy of Toronto, 7 nieces and 3 nephews, residing in Toronto, Can., Lockport, N. Y., and Seattle, Wash.

August 25, 1933

Former Hunter Times Publisher Passed Away

George H. McQuary, 64, publisher of the Logan County Argus, died at Napoleon Saturday, Aug. 19, from heart disease.
Mr. McQuary established the Hunter Times in October, 1929, and managed it until May 1930 when the present publisher took possession. After working a few months on the Grafton News and Times, Mr. McQuary started a paper at Kensal which was later sold. Another plant, which had been stored at Adams, was then moved to Frederick, S. D., where he established and published a paper for two years. The plant was moved to Napoleon last October and the paper operated by McQuary at the time of his death. About 50 years of his life were devoted to newspaper work. His widow and a daughter, Geraldine, of Napoleon survive and also a daughter by a former marriage who resides in Oklahoma.

September 8, 1933

Another Pioneer Passes Away

A large concourse of people assembled at the Presbyterian church last Wednesday afternoon to pay due respect to the memory of one of the older residents of Hunter, Mrs. Niels Larsen, who passed away in Fargo last Sunday evening about 8:30. Sine Nelson was born at Blends, Denmark, in the year of 1870. When eighteen years of age she came with her mother to the United States and made their home in the vicinity of Hunter.
In 1891 the deceased was united in marriage to Niels Larsen and young couple started farming in this community, and they have been residents of the Hunter territory ever since, excepting for a period of two and one-half years, during which time they resided in Richmond, Va. Mr. and Mrs. Larsen and family moved into the town of Hunter about 13 years ago and here they continued to reside up to the time of Mrs. Larsen's death. The family circle included six children, five of whom survive the mother, those being, Victor, who is farming the old home place; Jerry, who is identified with the A. O. U. W. as a representative; Mrs. Anton Johnson of Mandan, N. D.; Helen, teaching and Florence at home. The one son, Sophus, preceded the mother in death 17 years ago. Two years ago Mrs. Larsen's health began to fail and she has suffered much during the past two years. A few weeks ago she was taken to Fargo in the hope that she might be restored, but after a brave struggling the end came last Sunday evening. A post-mortem examination, held at the request of the sufferer, for the future benefit of humanity, revealed an extreme case of colitis, which caused death at the age of 63 years and 2 months. The funeral services, conducted in the Presbyterian church by the pastor, Rev. Geo. R. Hull, was a brief, simple service in harmony with the wishes of the family. A quartet, consisting of Mrs. Almon Bayer, Miss Jane Gale, Mr. Merland Carr and Mr. H. F. Gale sang several very appropriate hymns. The floral offerings were numerous and very fine, bearing unmistakable testimony as to the love and esteem in which Mrs. Larsen was held by her many friends and the friends of the family. Many were present from Fargo and other centers. Pallbearers were Peter McLachlin, O. W. Parkhurst, H. J. Jacobson, R. E. Thompson, Nels Nelson and Chris Hansen. The sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved family, and especially to Mr. Larsen who will sorely miss that noble woman who walked side by side with him for a period of 43 years, sharing with him all the varied experiences incident to pioneer life. The way has not been easy but Mrs. Larsen was a truly noble wife and a splendid mother.

September 15, 1933

Johnson-Fisk Vows Are Spoken In Iowa Church

Mrs. W. W. Fisk announces the marriage of her daughter, Faye, to Hobart Johnson of Milport, Ala. The marriage took place Saturday, Sept. 2, at noon in the Little Brown church at Nashua, Iowa.
Mrs. Johnson is a graduate of the home economics department of the N. D. A. C. and taught last year at Willmar, Minn. Mr. Johnson is associated with the Porclowe company of Indianapolis.

September 29, 1933

Henry Limburg

Funeral services were held from St. Agnes Catholic church at Hunter at 9:00 a.m. Thursday for Henry Limburg, 79, former Hunter resident, who died Tuesday at a Fargo hospital from cerebral hemorrhage.
Henry Limburg was born May 30, 1854, in St. Cloud, Wis. In 1877 he was married to Margaret Smith of Calumet, Wis. After living for several years at Mapleworks, Wis., they moved to Milbank, S. D., where he engaged in the implement business. About 46 years ago they moved to Hunter and Mr. Limburg managed the Cargill elevator for a period of 30 years, after which time he retired, moving to Fargo in 1918 and where he has resided since. Mrs. Limburg preceded him in death March 5, 1930. A daughter, Mrs. G. W. Turner of Minneapolis, died last year and a son, Leroy, passed away while the family lived in Hunter. Surviving are a son, Dr. A. M. Limburg, Fargo, a brother, Michael, of Chicago and two sisters, Margaret Weahner of St. Cloud, Wis., and Mary Nelleson of Chilton, Wis. Father B. V. Reddin of Page officiated at the requiem high mass held in the church which the deceased helped to found in 1893. Burial was in the family lot at Hunter.

October 13, 1933

Barn Burned

The fire department was called out Monday night when the barn on the Harry McLachlin farm burned. Mr. and Mrs. McLachlin were away from home at the time and the fire had gained such headway when discovered that nothing could be done to save the building. No stock was in the barn but several chickens were burned. The origin of the fire is unknown.

November 3, 1933


May L. Lane

May L. Ketcham was born at Ripon, Wis., Aug. 20, 1861. She was united in marriage to Byron H. Lane July 14, 1886, at Princeton, Wis. They resided in DeSoto, Wis., until the fall of 1902 when the family came to Hunter, living in town until the death of Mr. Lane 25 years ago. During the years of her widowhood Mrs. Lane has made her home with her sons, Leland of Hunter, and Halsey of Red Lake Falls, Minn., and occasionally with her brothers in South Dakota. Recently she visited at Red Lake Falls and points in Wisconsin, returning to Hunter Oct. 10. Earlier in the week of her death she received an injury to the hand causing infection. After prompt preliminary care she was taken to St. John's hospital at Fargo Thursday evening, Oct. 26. She passed away at 1:30 a.m. Friday, at 72 years of age. Mrs. Lane led an exemplary life. Brought up in a home of Methodist discipline and teaching, she has throughout the years been most active and sacrificial in church affairs. She has always been anxious to carry her own burdens independently even during her declining years. She is survived by her two sons, Leland of Hunter, and Halsey of Red Lake Falls, Minn. Also one brother, Arthur Ketcham, of Humboldt, S. D.
Funeral services were held Sunday at 2:00 p.m. from the Methodist church, with Rev. A. L. Lindstrom conducting the services. Interment was in the Hunter cemetery.
Out of town people attending the services were Mr. and Mrs. H. H. Lane of Red Lake Falls, Minn., Bert Ketcham, Ella Kerstin and Bell McAllister of Madison, S. D., Mr. and Mrs. N. E. Steele and Marjorie Hall of Sioux Falls, S. D., James Hall of Winford, S. D., Miss Jane Rutherford of East Grand Forks and Mr. and Mrs. Van Dyke of Fargo.

November 10, 1933

Miscellaneous Shower Thurs.

A miscellaneous shower, complimentary to Mrs. Kenneth Brandhagen, was given Thursday afternoon by the Mesdames H. F. Gale, R. R. Mulholland and L. D. McLean, and the Gale home. The afternoon was spent at cutting the sewing silk pieces which will be woven into a table runner. Cupid in the person of Barbara Cruden of Blanchard, sister of the bride, assisted by Barbara Gale, led the honor guest to the wishing well to make the traditional wish. The well contained the gifts to the bride.
Several out-of-town guests were also present.

November 24, 1933 Miss Vivian Walberg and Albert Winistorfer Say Vows Tuesday
The marriage ceremony of Miss Vivian Walberg and Mr. Albert Winistorfer was performed at the residence of Rev. Father Lambert Weekwerth, pastor of St. Joseph's church at Moorhead, at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 21, with Miss Hattie Weekwerth and Ivan Weekwerth as witnesses. Mr. and Mrs. Winistorfer will make their home in Hunter with the former's mother, Mrs. L. Winistorfer.
November 24, 1933

Born to Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Myers of Hunter Saturday, Nov. 18, a boy.
Born to Mr. and Mrs. Sam Egge of Hunter Tuesday, Nov. 21, a boy.

December 1, 1933

Horse Falls in Well

An unusual experience occurred at the Fred Otteson farm Monday of last week when the best horse on the place, a roan mare, fell into an unused well in the barn and was removed from the well uninjured. The horse pulled loose from her stall sometime after midnight, broke through two layers of planks covering the well and went down hind feet first. An erosion at one side of the well enabled the horse to lie in comparative ease. Water in the well reached her back while in this position. The entire wooded curbing of the well was pulled down upon the horse. Immediately upon discovery about 7 o'clock in the morning, steps were taken to remove the animal, and this was accomplished by block and tackle and a truck. The horse suffered no apparent injuries and was soon ready for work.

December 8, 1933

State Oil & Auto Garage is Nearing Completion

The new garage and oil storage building being erected by the State Oil & Auto Co. is expected to be fully completed by the middle of next week.
The building, a faced tile structure, is modern in every respect. The exterior construction permits a “drive in” filling station and this feature greatly increases the safety of a dangerous cross street.
A detailed description will appear in an early issue.

December 15, 1933

Marriage Announcement

Miss Sena Turner formally announced the marriage of her daughter, Marie Beatrice, to Maurice G. Bjerken of Fargo at a party held at the Turner home Wednesday night. Announcement of the wedding date, Feb. 4, was proclaimed by a miniature colored page. Covers were laid for 13, with table decorations in the holiday colors. The young couple will make their home in Fargo.

Sixteen Men are Given Work Here

Through the administration of the CWA, funds are available from the federal government to pay for the cost of labor to carry on two projects which were submitted by Hunter and approved of. Jobs have been created for 16 unemployed men who will work 6 hours a day and 5 days per week at 50 cents an hour. Work began Monday on one project, that of gravelling the road from _ mile north of town west to the cemetery and the road through the cemetery. The second project cares for improvements of the town park. According to plans of the CWA funds from the federal government will be available to pay for all labor costs. As far as possible hand labor must be used with preference given to married men or those with dependents. Projects were submitted by the village council to the county board, receiving an ok were sent to Bismarck, for the final ok.

Miscellaneous Shower Wed.

A miscellaneous shower complimentary to Mrs. Albert Winistorfer was held at the Carl Skue home Wednesday evening by the Mesdames Skue, Axel Rasmussen and H. M. Hegle. The evening was spent at contests and social visiting. Decorations were in keeping with the holiday season.

December 22, 1933

Jake Carlson Laid to Rest

Funeral services for Jake Carlson, pioneer Cass county farmer, were held from the Lutheran church Friday with Rev. A. N. Brudvig of Clifford officiating. Mr. Carlson died at a Fargo hospital early Tuesday following an illness of 30 days. He was 67 years old. Born in Norway, he came to the United States when 8 years old and settled in the east. After a brief stay there he came to Hunter township where he has resided since. His wife preceded him in death several years ago. Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. L. C. Whetzel of Hunter, 4 sons, Theodore, Axel, Carl and Elmer, all living in Hunter township, 5 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild.

December 29, 1933


Jake Carlson was born in Norway on January 5, 1867, and came to America with his parents, brothers and sisters in 1875. They settled in Livingston county, Ill. In 1888 he was united in marriage to Sarah Thompson. In 1910 he moved with his family to North Dakota and farmed near Casselton for a few years. In 1926 his wife passed away and he and his sons and two granddaughters moved on a farm near Hunter. He leaves to mourn his passing a daughter, Mrs. Lewis C. Whetzel of Hunter, four sons Theo, Alec, Carl and Elmer of Hunter twp., two sisters, Mrs. Walter Moyer of Blackwell, Okla., Mrs. Austin Thompson of Pontiac, Ill., also five grandchildren and one great-grandchild. One brother and one sister preceded him in death a few years ago. Funeral rites were held in the Lutheran church of Hunter with Rev. Brudvig officiating. He was laid to rest beside his wife in the Hunter cemetery. Pallbearers were Geo. Williams, Ernest Webber, O. A. Ford, Axel Olsen, Ralph Thompson and L. R. Coughlin.

2013 Copyrighted and Contributed by Steven Pueppke

Newspaper Extractions Index
Back to the Cass County, NDGenWeb