Hunter Articles
1912 Hunter Herald

January 25, 1912

Dissolved Partnership Hunter, N. D., Jan. 24, 1912. All persons are hereby notified that the firm of Loitwood & Thackeray, has on the 20th day of January 1912, mutually dissolved partnership. All firm bills due and all bills payable to said firm will be collected and paid b R. H. Loitwood. Signed this 24th day of Jan., 1912. R. H. Loitwood, J. G. Thackeray.

February 8, 1912


Louis A. Skue died at his home here yesterday morning at six o'clock, from a complication of diseases, from which he has been a sufferer for a number of years. He was born in Norway in 1849 and came to this country and settled in Goodhue county, Minn., in 1868, and resided there until 1883 when he moved to Hunter and settled on a homestead three miles northeast of town where he resided until four years ago when he moved to town on account of poor health. He was married on Oct. 6th, 1886 to Anna Arnesen. He leaves to mourn his loss, a wife and three daughters, Mrs. Carl Skue, of this place, Laura and Nettie, both living at home and attending school here. Mr. Skue was one of the first settlers here and has a host of friends who will be sorry to hear of his demise. Funeral services will be held from the Lutheran church this afternoon at two o'clock, Rev. Turmo officiating, and interment in Hunter Cemetery.

February 15, 1912

Hunter Gets Potato Warehouse

H. M. Weiser, president of the Farmers & Merchants bank of Hunter informs us that after considerable correspondence with W. H. Ferrell & Co., of Princeton, Minn., he has received a letter from this firm stating that they will build a potato warehouse in Hunter next summer and will be in a position to buy at the best market price, all the potatoes raised in this vicinity. W. H. Ferrell & Co., have been in the potato business for years, buying the first car load ever sold by Schroeder of Sabin, the potato king, who a few years ago started raising these “Mortgage Lifters” and is today a very wealthy man. This firm is capitalized for $100,000 and has about 15 warehouses over the country. Ferrell & Co. are also ready to supply seed potatoes in any amount. Great Potato Yield

John Wiebusch, a tenant on one of the Wheelock & Wheelock Cass county farms in the vicinity of Harwood, had a splendid potato crop last year. He put twenty acres into potatoes of the Rural New Yorkers variety. There was a total yield of 4,374 bushels, after deducting all losses, or an average of 216 bushels to the acre. The potatoes being of the late variety necessarily brought a lower price than had they been Early Ohios. This crop was sold at 45 cents a bushel, or marketed at a total of $1,968.30, making an average return of $98.41 per acre. - Fargo Forum.

February 29, 1912

Mrs. Peter Madsen Dead

Word has been received here of the death of Mrs. Peter Madsen, one of the pioneer citizens of Hunter, N. D., and of Cass county, who passed away at her late home at Rudkobing, Denmark, Feb. 3. The sad intelligence of the death of the late Mrs. Madsen will be learned with much regret by her many friends. In 1904 they returned to Denmark to enjoy the fruits of their labors and have resided there since in their own villa just outside of Rudkobing.

April 11, 1912


Mrs. Margaret Latta, more generally known as Grandma Latta, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Wm. Mitchell at Hunter, N. D., Saturday, April 6, at 10 o'clock a. m., at the age of 93, pneumonia being the cause of death. The sudden death came as a shock to the community as it was barely known that she was seriously ill before death claimed her. The funeral services were conducted at the M. E. church on Monday at 2 p. m. The church being beautifully decorated with flowers sent by loving friends and relatives. The sermon was delivered by the Rev. Louis Scott and the body interred in the Hunter Cemetery. Margaret O'Donnell Latta was born at Mitchellstown, Co. Cork, Ireland, April 15, 1819, and came to Belleville, Ont., in 1838. She was married to Gilbert Latta of Plainfield in 1840. To this union there was six children, three of whom survive, being Mrs. J. B. Brintnell of Belleville, Ont..; J. G. Latta of Latta, Ont., and Mrs. Wm. R. Mitchell of Hunter, N. D., 18 grandchildren and 15 great grandchildren. She early in her married life joined the M. E. Church of which she always has been a consistent member. In January 1905 she came to Hunter to make her home with her daughter. She left a large circle of friends and relatives who mourn her loss, as she had a pleasant word for all, was never known to complain or speak ill of anyone. In truth she led a consistent Christian life; one that brought her to the ripe old age of 93, while her earthly friends miss her, they all feel that she is now with her Savior, and is joined to her loved ones gone before. May 2, 1912 Gasoline and Gophers

Gasoline works perfectly for killing gophers, and a gallon will be enough for two days steady work. Take a lot of pieces of rags cut 3x3 inches, a bottle of gasoline, a stick about three feet long and an iron rod or hardwood stick to tamp the holes shut with. Now when you find the door of Mr. Gopher's house, put a little gasoline on a piece of rag, shove the rag into the hole as far as possible, tamp the hole shut, and that is the end of Mr. Gopher. Gophers will migrate and that makes it necessary to go over the ground again, say every two weeks, to treat new arrivals. But the work is a great deal less after the first treatement as the holes are few. Use a corked bottle for gasoline and leave your pipe at home. - Farm Stock and Home.

May 9, 1912

In Memorium

When between dawn and sunset last Saturday morning Mrs. Ottilia S. Baillie, beloved wife of Dr. William Baillie, passed bravely through the shadows into the light of “the perfect day,” every man, woman, and child of this whole community sustained a great loss. Though when she came to dwell among us, a happy bride, not quite three years ago. She was not a stranger to many of us, for our “Miss Sherman” had been a ministering angel beside many a bed of surgery in the practice of her most noble profession, many times in our little village and vicinity, and none knew her but to praise; still it seems little short of marvelous that in so little time she should have so completely won all our hearts. I do not think it is too much to say that through all the long days and nights that she has sat there in her room fighting the shadows with the bright cheery smile always on her lips, she was been a great spiritual and moral uplift to the social life around her. And how the children will miss her, she was always so cordial, kind and tender with them everywhere, and the springtime treasurers they have poured in upon her have been almost overwhelming. When she smiled on them from her window it was a red letter day for them. It will always be a comfort to those nearest and arrest to her that everything that love could suggest and science accomplish was done in the effort to make her more comfortable, but her thought was always for others and her grateful appreciation for the slightest service was touchingly earnest and sincere. We almost coveted her precious clay for our own God's acre but it was most natural after all, that she should desire to sleep at last beside her loved ones near the childhood's home, at Hawley, Minn. Among her numerous and beautiful gifts at Christmas time which she said was the happiest of her life was a collection of all the most beautiful prayers in our language, from one who has long known and loved her, among them was the following which was read to her just before she crossed over the river, how perfectly its petitions were answered we all can testify. All hearts are raised in supplication for the husband, mother and brother and sisters today in the distant town where the last sad rites are being held.

July 18, 1912

Peter Daley Suicides

Word comes from the north that Peter Daley locked himself in a toilet room out the eastbound Soo train on the 8th of this month and shot himself with a .38 caliber revolver. Despondency is given as the cause of the act as he had been drinking heavily for some time. Daley is well known to the people of Hunter, having run a blind pig here some years. Daley shot and killed a man at Clifford some twenty-three years ago for which he served three and a half years in the pen.

August 15, 1912

A Convention Bride

What was probably the greatest feature of the druggists' convention which closes a three days' session in Fargo this evening, was the happy culmination of an interesting romance of a prosperous young Sarles druggist who captured a Cass county bride. The contracting parties were Stuart G. Watt of Sarles, and Miss Myrtle June Turner of Hunter. Druggist Watt and Miss Turner were married last evening, Aug. 7, 1912, by Rev. Frederick G. Behner, pastor of the First Presbyterian church. While the druggists and their wives were waltzing to the strains of Strauss at the druggists' at the Gardner cafe, Druggist Watt and Miss Turner slipped quietly away from the scene of revelry and brilliance and were married by Rev. Frederick G. Behner of the First Presbyterian church. Mr. Watt is well known to all the members of the pharmaceutical fraternity in the state and was one of the most popular men of the convention. He was wise enough to secure his license from Judge Hanson without letting any of the druggists in on the matter, however, and no one suspected the happy event was going to take place. The bride is one of the most popular young women of Hunter and has many friends in this city who will be glad to extend their heartiest congratulations. - Fargo Forum. Stores Robbed

Between closing time Saturday night and Sunday morning the general stores of Gale, Carr & Co. and J. G. Knudson were entered and a small amount of goods from each place taken. Gale, Carr & Co's loss was between $25 and $50 and Mr. Knutson places his loss at $125 and was principally in watches and jewelry while the goods taken in the other store was revolvers, a pair of pants and a few minor articles. The amount of goods taken in both stores is considered very small considering what could have been taken from both places. Mr. Knudtson happened to leave the day combination on his safe and the burglar made a thorough examination of the contents but found nothing to reward him for his time but secured $10 from the cash register. It would seem from the small amount of goods taken from both stores that the party or parties had no time to leave their cards. This is the season of the year that people should be more cautious with the security of their homes.

August 29, 1912

Dr. Dahl Weds

Hunter friends of Dr. Dahl will be interested in the following taken from the Philadelphia Bulletin of August 14th: “Friends of Miss Helen Claine Moore, 2006 Wallace street, were surprised today to receive announcements of her marriage to Dr. Walter Hubert Dahl, Hunter, N. D. The wedding took place Monday, Aug. 12, in the “Little Church Round the Corner,” New York. “Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Moore, parents of the bride, issued the announcements this morning, although they also were unaware of the ceremony until several days after it had taken place. The engagement of Miss Moore to Mr. Dahl had never been announced, and was known only to the immediate families. “Dr. Dahl came to Philadelphia Aug. 12 for his vacation, and the first day of his arrival here the couple hastened to New York. They returned to Philadelphia where the parents were told shortly afterward and then left for Atlantic City. “Dr. and Mrs. Dahl left Atlantic City today for a trip to the Great Lakes through the Western states. “Dr. Dahl was graduated from the Philadelphia Dental College in 1911. It was not until the last few months of his final year that he met the present Mrs. Dahl. They became engaged.”

September 12, 1912


Frank Flewell was born at Uxbridge, Ont., Can., Sept. 13, 1882 and passed to the spirit world from the city hospital at Saskatoon, Sask., Can. Aug. 28, 1912. He came with his parents to N. Dak. in 1886 where he has since made his home until going to northwestern Canada a few years ago. The deceased was a young man of rare qualities of character in that he had never formed the habits of an evil life so common among young men of today and this was due to the training of early childhood. While attending the A. C. in this city, he took athletics and proved to be adept at wrestling which he followed just for the pleasure he found in the sport until last March when he was injured while wrestling. Early in April he wrote a letter home to his father and mother stating that he was through with that form of amusement and regretting that he had ever taken it up. On Aug. 24 he was taken with fever and went to the hospital in Saskatoon, where he died Aug. 28. Before his death Frank gave assurance of his faith in Christ whom he had been taught to take as his Savior from the cradle and to the sisters who were with him in his last hours on earth spoke confidently and with a pleasant smile on his face met his last enemy death and passed triumphantly over the line of worlds. Typhoid fever was the cause of his death and through kind hands of his sisters and nurses in the hospital administered to him, it seemed his appointed time to go. The floral offerings were large both from his friends in Saskatoon and those near his home at Grandin and from Fargo. The funeral was conducted at the Rose Valley church on Sunday, Sept. 1, at 3 p. m., by Rev. O. E. McCracken of Fargo and Rev. O. E. Edwards of Gardner. Frank leaves a father and mother, seven sisters and two brothers beside a host of friends to mourn his loss.

October 31, 1912

Ed. Hudson dead

Just as we were ready to go to press news reached us that Mr. Hudson had died at 11 o'clock Wednesday forenoon. The cause of his death being due to pleura-pneumonia. The entire community was shocked to hear of his death as he had been sick but a week, and seemed to be on the road to recovery. Full particulars next week.

November 7, 1912


The subject of this sketch, Edmund Hudson, was born near Hanover, Ont., May 1854 and came to Cass county, N. D. in 1878 and took up farm life and pursued that calling until his demise. Mr. Hudson's married life of twenty-eight years duration was a happy one and he is survived by a wife and two sons who have reached the manhood estate. The deceased learned the trade of cabinet making in his native town and being too confining emigrated to Cass county and became a successful tiller of the soil. His illness was of very short duration and the report of his death came as a surprise to all who knew him. Services were held at the country home and interment in the Hunter cemetery on Friday, Nov. 1st.

November 14, 1912


A very pretty wedding took place on Wednesday afternoon, Oct. 30 at 3 o'clock at the bride's home, when Miss Olga Marie Korshus became the bride of Mr. John O. Satrom. Rev. O. Turmo read the service in the presence of a large gathering of relatives and friends. The parlor was beautifully decorated for the occasion. An arch in green and white formed the setting for the servie. Miss Mina Groven played the wedding music to announce the bridal party. The bride was attended by her sister, Miss Minnie Korshus. Mr. Peter Satrom, a cousin of the groom, was best man. The bride was gowned in white messaline trimmed in heavy lace. She wore a veil and carried a shower of bridal roses. The bridesmaid wore a dainty blue dress. A dinner and reception followed the ceremony. The bride and groom were the recipients of numerous beautiful and valuable wedding presents. The bridal couple left immediately afterwards on their honeymoon trip to the Pacific coast, where they will travel and visit for a couple of months before returning to their home here. Both the bride and groom are well and favorably known in this community. The groom is the son of O. P. Satrom, prominent farmer and banker, while the bride is a daughter of Ole Korshus, a prominent farmer, contractor and builder, both families being pioneer residents of this community. The many friends of the contracting parties join in wishing them a long and happy married life.

November 21, 1912


A thrill of deep sympathy was felt through all the community when it was known that Mrs. A. D. Atherton was critically ill at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Levi Thompson, for in the early years there was not a man, woman or child within a radius of ten miles who had not received some signal kindness from her generous heart and willing hands. And when the skilled physician and tender nurses had done their best and failed, a sense of personal loss came to each of us old timers, together with a sharp realization of how few there are left of us here, and how many are peacefully sleeping up yonder on the hill. When most of us were so busy with the manifold duties and responsibilities of early pioneer days on our wide, bare prairies, that we were apt to forget or slight the social amenities of life. The Atherton home was always a warm glowing social center where young and old were always cordially welcomed and royally entertained. Ellen Morse was born in Vermont in 1840, but removed to Clinton, N. Y. while young, and was married there in 1858 to John Armstrong and six children were born to them two of whom died in infancy. Her husband died in 1870 when she brought her four children to the new town of Glencoe, Minn. the youngest of whom was only nine months old. She afterwards moved to Minneapolis where she was married to Mr. A. D. Atherton in 1882 and they came to Casselton the same year, coming to Hunter in 1886 where they resided until they moved to the vicinity of Minot in 1901, and for the last four years they have lived in the city where they had a large circle of warm friends who will greatly miss that genial home. It is seldom, even when they were mated early in life, that such lover-like devotion is seen that Mr. and Mrs. Atherton always maintained for each other, and a dear little Katie (Mrs. A. B. Crandall who went on before her to the heavenly land) she was a true and devoted mother. Of her children, three survive her, Annie, Mrs. Levi Thompson of Hunter, Ida, Mrs. Churchill of Minot and Ashton Armstrong of Buffalo Lake, Minn. Carlton her first born, in his young manhood, came to his mother's home here, nineteen years ago, to be most tenderly nursed through his last long and most painful illness by his mother, and sister Annie and as we laid his mother's worn out body beside him on the hillside we thought of the glad reunion “over there.” Though her illness was long and painful it was borne with true Christian fortitude and in her last hours she had strength given her to exhort those about her to higher and more exalted lives and greatly enjoyed the ministrations of her friend Rev. Mr. Old pastor of her church (the M. E.) here, especially the singing of the grand old consolation hymns, which those near and dear to her sang through their tears, to the last, her request always being, “sing me to sleep.” She met death calmly and her end was certainly peace. The church beautifully decorated and filled with friends and neighbors and the service was beautiful and impressive. Great sympathy is expressed everywhere for the family especially for the bereaved husband, who is suffering a double bereavement, having during the week lost an only surviving daughter. Those from a distance in attendance were: Mrs. Churchill of Minot, A. B. Crandall of Minot, Mrs. McMullen, truest of friends of Carrington, W. E. Churchill of Glencoe, Minn., and Mrs. William Fralish of Fargo.

December 5, 1912

Buys Auto

R. A. Miller has purchased the auto formerly owned by H. M. Weiser and last Saturday made a trip to Fargo with his family. He had Stanton Muir run the machine for him. Never mind you will learn Mr. Miller. Potatoes for pigs

Potatoes should be cooked if they are to be fed to hogs. It increases their food value. It has been found that 400 lbs. of potatoes cooked are equal to 100 lbs. of grain feed. Some grain should be fed with the potatoes. It does not pay to cook the grain as this decreases its digestibility.

December 26, 1912

Golden Wedding

Wednesday, December 25 was the 50th anniversary of the wedding of Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Bruton. The occasion was quietly celebrated by members of the family, Mr. and Mrs. A. A. Bruton and family, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Palmer and family, Miss Mable Bruton and Archie A. Bruton, the latter of Kingston, Ont., being present. The other three members of the family were unable to be here. Mr. and Mrs. Bruton were presented with eleven five dollar gold pieces, two of them from the school children-a gold clock and numerous other presents. Mr. and Mrs. Bruton have a host of friends here who will join the Herald in wishing them many more wedding anniversaries.

2009 Copyrighted and Contributed by Steven Pueppke
Newspaper Extractions Index
Back to the Cass County, NDGenWeb