A new firm We understand several of our land owners have formed an association for the purpose of selling their lands direct to people coming here from elsewhere without their paying the middlemen's large profits which they have had to pay. They call the association the Farmers Land and Loan Company of Hunter, N. D., and have incorporated under the laws of North Dakota. Capital stock $10.000.00. The Brewer Bros., Fred Williams of Arthur and J. H. Gale and M. E. Cain of Hunter are the only ones we know of so far who are interested. They own and control about forty farms and it is reported, if reasonably successful, they will sell lands for others. Harry Brewer is just back from Indiana and Illinois and he says the outlook is good for doing a good business. Fred Williams is the president of the company, Harry T. Brewer is vice-president with J. H. Gale as secretary and treasurer. They have rented the directors room in the First National Bank for an office. One or two of the Brewer Bros. and Mr. Cain expect to put in considerable of their time in Indiana and Illinois during the season. We wish them success in their new business.
News reached here Saturday of the death of Mrs. A. B. Crandell of Minot and the remains reached here Sunday evening, accompanied by relatives.
The services were held at the M. E. church with Rev. Frizelle officiating, at the close of these solemn services all were permitted to look for the last time upon the face of the departed, then the sad cortege moved on to our silent city. Under the snow we laid her.
Kate Atherton, daughter of Anson and Sarah Atherton, was born August 22, 1870, at Eaton, Wyoming Co., Penn., and died Jan. 20, 1911 at Minot, N. D., after an illness of four days, death being caused by inflammation of the lungs.
In March 1877 she came with her parents to St. Ansgar, Ia., where her mother died in 1881. In 1882 she went with her father to Casselton, this state, and 1886 they came to Hunter.
On January 22, 1891, she was married to Arthur B. Crandall. In the spring of 1901 they moved on a farm near Minot, and in 1909 they moved in town where they have lived since.
She lived an exemplary Christian life, a life that was worth the living in so much that it was full of sunshine and love, and always ready to help the needy, she was beloved by all who knew her. She is now resting from all worry and care, reaping a reward that comes to all who live an upright Christian life.
There are left to mourn her loss a husband, one son, Warren A., a father and step-mother, a half-sister, two step-sisters, one being Mrs. C. L. Thompson of this place, and two step-brothers besides other relatives.
The sympathy of the community is extended to those who mourn the departed.
This whole community was shocked and grieved when the sad news of the sudden and unexpected death of Mrs. Kate Crandell reached here, and one old time friend who has known her as a happy, carefree school girl and most dutiful daughter, a devoted wife, loving mother and true friend and neighbor, craves the privilege of paying her memory this humble tribute.
Everybody loved bonny, brown-eyed Katie Atherton, always so sunny and kind and self-sacrificing to a fault.
We have not the courage to think of the sorrowing ones so cruelly bereft-there is only One who can bind up their broken hearts and they know the way to Him.
But it gives us thrills of joy to think of the happy reunions, the blissful, restful enjoyments that are hers "Over there."
Fisk-Holmes Nuptials The following from the Hedgesville (Mont.) Herald will be of interest to Hunter people.
Last Wednesday afternoon, Jan. 25th, 1911, at the M. E. parsonage, Billings, by Rev. Smith, Miss Etta G. Fisk and Frank J. Holmes, both of Hedgesville, took upon themselves the obligations that made them man and wife. Herbert F. Reynolds was the only resident of Hedgesville witnessing the ceremony.
After the wedding ceremony had been performed the happy couple spent two days sightseeing in Billings, returning to Franklin Friday, where they spent two days visiting with friends before returning to their home three miles southwest of the city.
Their many friends were taken somewhat by surprise by the manner in which the couple had suddenly disappeared and their friends here, who in the meantime surmised something, immediately had sleuths put on their trail. By so doing Hedgesville knew what happened in Billings. When the bride and groom boarded the train for home the word was “passed” and everybody here was busy and at train time found them all at the depot, honeymoon joy chariot and all, but no married couple. They left the train at Franklin.
A farewell surprise party was splendidly carried out Tuesday evening at the home of C. L. Thompson. The surprise was on Miss Bertha McMullen who will leave Monday for Carrington where her parents have engaged in business. The attendance at the party was large as Miss Bertha has a very extensive circle of friends of both sex who will all regret her departure. During the evening she was presented with a gold locket which came from her friends of the party and yesterday she was presented with a piano bench, a gift from the M. E. Sunday school, the Epworth League and the church. Miss Bertha for the past eleven years has been the organist for the Sunday school for nine years of that time was organist for the church in which capacity she was efficient and without a thought of compensation. Having first seen the light of day in Hunter, Miss Bertha has grown up among us and her kind disposition has been the means by which her many friends have been attracted to her. The Sunday school, the church and the league will lose an active member and her place will be hard to fill and it is with deep regret that her many friends will say farewell. Both old and young extend her the heartiest wishes in her new home.
W. H. Beard Resigns
As Cashier of the Farmers & Merchants Bank-H. M. Weiser Buys His Stock in the Bank and will be the New Cashier At a meeting of the directors of the Farmers & Merchants Bank held last week W. H. Beard tendered his resignation as cashier of the above named bank, which was accepted and H. M. Weiser of Bismarck, was elected to fill the vacancy. The change to take effect the first of June. Mr. Weiser has had considerable experience in the banking business and will no doubt fill the vacancy creditably. He will build a house on the east side and will move his family here in a short time. Outside of the change of cashiers there is no other change and the policy of the bank will remain the same. Mr. Beard having decided to locate in Vancouver, Wash., where he will be interested in the banking business and he will move there with his family the first of June. We are sorry to lose them but wish him all kinds of success.
June 1, 1911
The sad news of the death of Mrs. Emma Gale Merrifield at her home in Au Sable Forks, New York, which was briefly noticed in this paper last week, stirred memories in the hearts of the old residents of Hunter for she was one of us when everything in and about the town was new and the very spirit of youthful hope was in the air we breathed.
When there were very few children, few homes and no trees or gardens. In those days she kept house for her brother over the store and was always a friendly, pleasant neighbor, and might be termed the musical pioneer of town, as she was our first music teacher and a most obliging organist both in church and Sunday school.
There are two circumstances that make this death a particularly sad one, two orphan children, just at the age when they so much needed mother love and care is so difficult, if not impossible, to find a substitute for, and an aged father whose faithful caretaker and constant companion she has been for many years.
Miss Ruby Richardson who was here lat winter, the guest of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Gale, more sister than cousin, constant and congenial associates all their lives, is also given loving sympathy by the many friends she made among us.
For the bereaved brother and his family in this affliction the universal sympathy will be deep, but they will have the consolation of those who have done all that could be done for their beloved one, and all have the sure promise of the “Heavenly home on high,” and the refuge of the Father's heart where is always pity and love.
June 8, 1911
In this age of transition and many changes that seem to permeate even to the sacred relationship of marriage, we have here in our hillside “village of the dead,” the last act in as beautiful a life drama as ever was related in song or story, when the ashes of what was the body of the beautiful Mary Stewart Hancock was placed in the grave of her husband.
No one living among us in the last twenty years can ever forget Mr. and Mrs. Hancock, who came to dwell among us almost directly from their New Hampshire home and very soon made for themselves a place in all our hearts, as well as a happy, peaceful home for themselves. Though they went very little into society the influence of that quiet, restful home was everywhere recognized and everyone must remember the wonder of that north window, full to overflowing of flowering plants, even in the midst of our North Dakota winter.
Then came the long and weary time of weakness and great suffering, when he who had walked abroad with a kindly dignity that well became the great historic name he bore, was missed from the bright and sunny places where we were wont to meet him. But even in the shadow the strong lovelight illuminated everything until it seemed really a privilege to enter that stricken home, where, though blooming plants had perished with the bitter frost, the fires of eternal love and affectionate devotion kept the more precious flowers of the heart and soul in perpetual bloom.
One year ago when the writer of this saw her in the ideal California home, where she has dwelt for the last six years with her brother's widow, Mrs. Mary E. Stewart, an exaggerated sense of gratitude for every little favor she had ever received from the people here, made every one who came from Hunter a dear friend, and while she enjoyed the beautiful flowers that are always abloom in that wonderful climate, and the grandeur and wonders of the grand, old ocean, that roared and thundered or slept and brightly smiled perpetually almost at their very door, there was a wistful sadness in her voice and a mistiness in her eyes whenever the name of Hunter was mentioned that spoke louder than words of memories of happy days long past and a clinging affection for the spot where her beloved was at rest. And so the last words she whispered to the grand woman who cared for her so nobly through the terrible struggle of the last three months were: “Cremate me and send me back to the West.”
A pretty home wedding was solemnized at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Richardson in this city, at five o'clock yesterday afternoon, June 14, 1911. The contracting parties were Miss Agnes M. Powlison and Mr. Clyde W. Fisk, Rev. L. D. Cook was the officiating clergyman who tied the nuptial knot pronouncing the ceremony which united the lives of these esteemable young people of our little city.
The wedding was a quiet one, witnessed only by the immediate relatives of the bride and groom, and a few intimate friends. After congratulations nice refreshments were served. After an evening most pleasantly passed in a social manner the groom took his prize to the home which he had furnished and which needed only her queenly presence to make it complete.
Mr. and Mrs. Fisk are well and favorably known in and about our little city, they having spent nearly all their lives among us, and their many friends will join us in wishing the newlyweds much joy and happiness in the future.
The tenth annual Commencement of the Hunter State High School was held at the opera house Wednesday evening, June 7th. The house was filled to overflowing. The music was furnished by an orchestra of six pieces. The graduating class consisted of twelve members, the largest in the history of the school. The following were the names of the graduates.
Elizabeth Burgum, Ethel Daily, Hazel Fiske, Eva Fiske, Winnie Fiske, Mary Frank, Jennie Gale, Russell Hank, Herbert Knudtson, Arthur Peterson, and Agnes Powlison. The class was divided so that a portion appeared in the class play the evening before and the rest on the commencement program. The first number to be given was a recitation, entitled, “The Soul of the Violin” by Elizabeth Burgum. It was well rendered and brought out a description of the scene wherein a starving musician was about to part with the violin which had been his friend and companion for a lifetime. The second number was a discourse on the principles of Electricity by Russell Hank. This subject was handled in a very entertaining and creditable manner. Throughout the talk the principles were made plain by means of apparatus, an explanation of the construction together with the practical application and use of each piece. The manner of handling the subject was pleasing to the audience and showed a comprehensive knowledge of the theme.
Agnes Powlison then followed with an original class poem, entitled, “A Senior Rhapsody.” In a humorous manner she depicted the beginning of the school life of the class, its hard work, the subjects covered, the various kinds of teachers that had been inflicted upon the class, a confession of the pranks played and other events incident to school life.
The class history was given by Winnie Fiske. In a pleasing way she gave the brief history of each member of the class, making reference to many humorous events in the lives, together with a prophesy concerning the future. The composition and manner of rendering was excellent.
The last member of the class to speak was Arthur Peterson, who delivered an oration on the relations of capital and labor. He began with contrasting the industrial conditions with the conditions existing previous to the Civil War.
The address of the evening was delivered by Chas. H. Platttenburg, who held the audience spellbound by his eloquence. Because of the lateness of the hour the speaker did not speak as long as the people desired but the theme of the discourse, the apt illustrations, the pleasing manner of delivery all served to thrill the audience. The thread of optimism that formed the fabric of the talk was refreshing to those who are accustomed to hear references continually to the good old times. The diplomas were delivered both to the Eighth Grade and the Graduating Class by D. McKenzie, who made a neat and pleasing speech.
June 29, 1911
Miss Florence Sauter and Chas H. Bell were married last evening at 8 o'clock at the home of the bride's mother, Mrs. H. Sauter, 3125 University avenue S. E. Rev. U. S. Villars, pastor of the Prospect Park church, read the service in the presence of fifty guests. Miss Lydia Urbach of Browntown, Minn., a cousin of the bride, was the maid of honor. Roy Fiske of Hunter, N. D., was best man. Miss Clara Brown of St. Paul played “Barcarolle” followed by “Lohengrin” wedding march. Miss Monahn sang "The Song of Thanksgiving" and "I Love you Truly."
The bride wore an empress gown of ivory satin, trimmed with silk embroidery in a rose design. She wore a veil and carried a shower bouquet of pink roses and sweet peas. In the living room, where the vows were spoken, palms, ferns, smilax, carnations and gladioli were the decorations. White lilies were in the dining room. Those who assisted were Wesley Peik and Clarence Siebert and the Misses Etta Borncamp, Louella Lenz, Martha Bublitz of Browntown, Roy Fiske of Hunter, N. D., Mr. and Mrs. Fed Sauter of Hutchinson.
Mr. Bell and his bride have gone a short wedding trip east and will be at home in this city after July 5. - Minneapolis Journal June 22.
W. C. Muir, of Muir & Co., took the writer out to have a look at their gas tractors, last Thursday, and to say the least we were surprised with the work done as well as the amount of work being done so easily.
Mr. Muir claims that the Pioneer Tractor will plow from 25 to 35 acres a day and from the way they were going the day the writer was there they can certainly do it easy. They made a mile in just about 20 minutes and that with nine 16 in. plows and a four horse packer hitched on behind. Now any farmer can readily see that at this rate the Pioneer Tractor will do a great amount of work in ten hours. It only takes two men to do all the work and they do it with ease at that.
Mr. Muir says that the machine will plow 100 acres with a barrel of water to keep the engine cool: less than any other machine on the market, and that it will take less oil and gas to do the same amount of work than other makes, and he can prove it as the cooling system is of the automobile type, removable section radiator of brass and copper which cools the motor perfectly under all conditions and required but little water to keep cool.
The Pioneer has three speeds ahead and one reverse, which gives it the necessary requirements of going slow or making good time when going from one place to another.
In the Pioneer the power developed by the motor is transmitted in the simplest and most direct manner possible to the drive wheels by means of out steel spur gears, running in oil, eliminating every possible pound of friction; thus, practically the whole horse power of the motor is available at the draw bar for hauling instead of being wasted in transmission friction or loss in hauling the dead load of the usual excessively heavy cast iron tractor.
Anyone interested and wishing to see the machine in operation can do so by calling on Mr. Muir and he will be glad to take you to where they are at work.
July 20, 1911
This community was shocked and grieved Tuesday morning when the news of the death of Mrs. James B. Hockridge spread from home to home though it has been known for days that she was desperately ill and many hearts have been lifted in prayer to the Master of life and of death, that she might be spared to the husband and children who need her so much.
It is almost a quarter of a century since she came here a bride and she has borne with patient fortitude more than a full share of the hardships of pioneer life on a farm; though never enjoying very rugged health, she has dwelt among us, a true wife and a faithful and most devoted mother, a kindly, helpful neighbor, greatly beloved by friends and relatives.
Four bright promising children have called her mother. Jessie a daughter and sister in one, to the often lonely woman so far from her own loving home circle. Bearie, who was called to the better land ten years ago, and Floyd and Earl, who are just entering young manhood; mourn their irreparable loss.
But the influence of that pleasant prairie home, made exceptionally attractive by music and good literature, will be a beacon light to them through all their coming years to guide them to sure heaven where she will be waiting and watching for them.
Great sympathy is felt for her kind and loving husband and the aged parents and brothers and sister in their distant home in Chester, Ill., where she was born and lived until she came here.
The funeral will be this afternoon at two o'clock from the house.
August 3, 1910
M. L. Braunstein and M. Kushnir of Minneapolis were in town last Saturday and made arrangements to start another general store here. They have rented the north side of the I. O. O. F. hall and will fix it up for a store. When completed it will be a neat place. They returned the same evening and will in the course of a few days ship in their stock and get ready for the opening, which will be about the 15th, of this month. The store will be known as the Hunter Cash Store, read their ad in another column of this issue.
August 10, 1911
Another railroad for North Dakota
It now seems probable that North Dakota will see extensive railroad building within the next few months, and this by one of railway systems not now extensively represented in this state. The highest officials of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway have visited this state recently and their purpose is said to have been to locate a line through the eastern part of the state to Winnipeg. This new line will extend from Fargo north through Grand Forks to the big Canadian city. Plans are already perfected for the relaying of the entire Manitoba division of the Northern Paciafic with ninety pound steel and otherwise improving it for the increased trade that the railways believe will follow the passing of the Reciprocity Treaty.
A pretty home wedding
What more appropriate time could there be for the union of hearts than this time of the year. Love is the formation of all that is good and pure. Mr. and Mrs. C. L. Thompson have the honor of announcing the marriage of Ida Acton Young to Ralph Earl Thompson on Wednesday, the sixteenth of August, one thousand nine hundred eleven, Hunter, North Dakota.
Such was the invitation that brought together about 40 friends and relatives to witness the marriage ceremony, which was performed by the Rev. Frizzelle at the hour of five o'clock, on the above mentioned day. Harvey Brenner acted as best man and Miss Bertha McMullen as bridesmaid for the contracting parties.
The home was beautifully decorated and after the ceremony had been performed the guests repaired to the dining room where a scrumptious dinner was served.
The bride was beautifully gowned in white satin messaline decorated with Pearl passementerie, and carried a bouquet of bride's roses.
Mr. and Mrs. R. E. Thompson will be at home in the cottage south of the Eaman's residence after the first of September. They have lived among us for a large number of years and are both well and favorably known and this event marks the most important milestone in their life. Another home is made, a new start in life is commenced under the most favorable circumstances.
We wish them long life and bespeak for them much happiness. We rejoice that they remain among us to cast their leavening influence for good in our community.
August 24, 1911
Las Sunday will long remain a red letter day in the annals of the Walter Muir home in this city. A combination of fortunate circumstances brought together a company of near relatives and dear friends, some of whom though playmates in childhood had not met for twenty years.
A counteous dinner was enjoyed and a visit before and after that recalled old half forgotten memories of the past, many giving to all a good hearty laugh and some bringing the fountain of tears very near the surface.
The guests were W. H. Simmons and her little son and daughter Nathan and Helen who have thrice been welcome guests in the old home for the past two months, W. C. Muir and family, Louis and John Bettschen of Arthur with their children, Mr. and Mrs. Diethoff of Minneapolis, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Finch and little son of Wheatland and Mrs. Stafford and her two little girls of Grandin with the Misses Hattie and Sedate Finch of Elendale, Minn., and Miss Josephine Jacobson of Borup, Minn.
It was indeed a happy company and a jolly one and as we separated when the pleasant shadows began to fall I am sure the wish was in every heart that we might so meet again.
A bad accident
F. D. Bronson, who came here some time ago from Clark, S. D., and was running the separator for W. H. Morris & Co., had the misfortune to fall from the top of the machine and broke his left shoulder. He was brought into town and Dr. Baillie set the broken part and all possible was done for him. He came up here to earn some money and now he will not be able to do any work this fall. The accident occurred last week Thursday.
September 21, 1911
Came to the J. T. Workman farm 4 miles east and 4 miles north of Hunter one white faced cow with long horms. Owner may have same by paying expenses.
September 28, 1911
Hunter to have light. Electric lighting plant to be erected at once.
The business men of this enterprising town have again come to the front, and this time it is going to be electric lights for the residents of Hunter. This is something that will fill a long-felt want, and we are glad it is going to take place. They will be in operation in about six weeks.
A company has been formed and incorporated and will be known at the Hunter Light and Power Co., with the following stockholders: I. Moen, H. M. Weiser, Z. F. Hamilton, C. A. Tubbs, H. Limberg, J. G. Knudtson, W. F. Baillie, N. Johnson, P. Larsen, John Wergin, C. L. Thompson and J. C. Richardson. All stockholders will also be directors of the company and in this way all members of the company will have equal rights and privileges.
The following are the officers: W. F. Baillie, president; C. A. Tubbs, vice-president; H. M. Weiser, secretary and treasurer; I. Moen, general superintendent.
The company will put up a building somewhere near the jail and will be started at once. The Battery Co., of Milwaukee, from whom the lights were purchased, have a large number of lighting plants in South Dakota, and from all reports they are all running good and giving satisfaction to the parties who have purchased them. There will be ample power to light everything, and those who wish to have the lights installed should see the manager at once so as to have their houses and business places wired and ready when the lighting plant is completed. There is a great convenience in using this kind of light, and it is cheaper than any other light on the market, besides being safer. There will be an all day and night service, and this alone is going to be something that will benefit those who wish to use electricity for cooking and heating.
These men are to be congratulated on the step they have taken and one and all should do all in their power to help them. It gives us a fine lighting system for our streets, and that alone is one of the best things for every one who happens to be out on the streets on a dark night. Push a good thing along.
October 19, 1911
Sarah Mary McCall (Dickson) was born May 20th, 1857, in Co. Armagh, Ireland, where she resided until her marriage to Kernahan Dickson, March
1886 and on that same day started to America and came to Hunter, N. D., where she has since resided.
Five children have been born to this union, as follows: William, Annie J., Kernahan, George and Robert James, the latter being deceased.
Mrs. Dickson, after a long illness died last Sunday morning and the funeral was held on Monday afternoon from the Presbyterian church with Rev. Frizzelle officiating. The sympathy of the entire community is extended to be bereaved in this their sad hour.
October 26, 1911
It is more than twenty-five years since Mary Dickson came from her home in Ireland to make, with her husband, a new home in this new, strange land. And we that saw her then and noted her clear complexion, the roses in her cheeks and her bright, cheery smile said, “she will do, she has the right timber in her to make a first class pioneer,” and that was no mistake, as we all soon found, for she was neighborly and faithful in all ways, true wife, and a loving, tender mother. It was in many ways a hard and trying life we had in those early days, and the change from the calm, warm climate of her childhood's home to the rough, chilling winds and the almost shelterless vastness of our broad prairies must have been hard to bear, but never a complaint was heard from her lips, and though called upon to endure great suffering, even in that far away time, she was always brave and cheery, sustained, as during these last terrible months by the strong, firm faith of her fathers, the faith of the covenanters, for she was always a consistent Presbyterian.
Hers was a successful life, as the beautiful home she has helped to build up, where was a wild, dreary waste, and the four good, dutiful children, three sturdy, manly sons and a lovely Christian daughter,
who rewarded her mother's love and care with a rare devotion that went with her a far down the “dark valley” as mortals May go.
She "looked well to the ways" of her household, and the heart of her husband trusted safely in her.
The large and sympathetic congregation, that in the church and at the cemetery, paid loving, tearful tribute to her as friend and neighbor, sorrow with her bereaved family but not like those who have no hope.
November 2, 1911
Oscar Gibson, formerly of Indiana, but now farming on a section of Cass county land at Myra Station had in this year 100 acres of Northwestern Dent corn. This corn is of fine quality and was fully matured. It is so fine, in fact, that several of the Chicago banks asked for samples of it mounted on a board for display in their banks as they believe in the future of North Dakota as a successful corn growing state. This corn on Mr. Gibson's farm has been estimated by him to return close to 40 bushels per acre and it is quite possible that it will exceed that figure.
November 16, 1911
The friends and neighbors of A. R. Leighton's family, who were for some years honored residents of Hunter, were touched with deep sympathy, when the sad news of the death of the faithful wife and mother, after months of terrible suffering, reached us through a message sent to Levi Thompson.
They had built up a cozy home here and had become so thoroughly identified with the life of the town that when Mrs. Leighton's failing health made their removal to a different climate necessary, there was universal regret, for we did not see where we could find another to fill Mr. Leighton's place in the practical business of the town, and the children, Vernon, George and Lois were promising pupils in the school, and we hear on every side, from their school and class mates expressions of sympathy with them in the loss of their loving and devoted mother, just when they need her help and counsel most. Besides her own children she was mothering the motherless infant of her brother, John Still, for Mrs. Leighton was, before her marriage Miss Violet Still, member of a family closely identified with the early history and development of Cass county and still having a number of representatives in this region, though many of them are now residents of Blaine, Wash., her brothers and a sister Mrs. Williston, while another sister and her aged mother, live, or did a short time ago, at Argusville, this county.
That all these sadly afflicted loved ones May receive help and comfort from the only source from which such help can come is the prayer of their old friends and neighbors in Hunter.
December 7, 1911
Best lighted town in N. D. Hunter one of the six cities in North Dakota to enjoy a twenty-four hour service. Patrons well pleased. City well lighted.
Through the installation of a modern electric light plant and storage batteries which will furnish light and power for Hunter continuously after the power house is shut down at eleven o'clock.
Street lighting and house illumination for the people of the smaller towns has been a problem for many years and the ingenuity of man in the electric world has made it possible whereby the smaller towns that could not afford a large expensive electric plant, can have an up to date plant installed and operated at a nominal expenditure.
Some time ago Dr. F. A. Blakeslee interested enough of our townspeople in an electric light plant to dispose of one to be used here for the purpose of street lighting and house illumination, and the task of erecting poles, stringing wires and wiring houses and business places which was under the direction of lineman R. C. Simpson was been begun and everything went merrily on in the line of work to completion. In the meantime the erection of the power house, the installing of the switch board, batteries, dynamos and engine were being looked after by electrical expert R. S. Abbey, who started the engine and turned on the current late Tuesday afternoon.
The motive power is a twenty horsepower twin cylinder engine of the upright type, late in design and the best on the market for this purpose. It can be operated with gasoline, naphtha, distillate, natural or manufactured gas.
The engine will drive two dynamos, the main one capable of producing 12,000 watts and a smaller dynamo called a “booster,” which will carry 1000 watts, and will be used for helping to charge the storage batteries. There are twenty street lights of 48 c. p. capacity which will be turned off at 11 o'clock. Many private residences and business places will use the electric system and many more lights will be put in in the near future.
The switchboard is the main feature of the plant. It is known as the Globe system, manufactured by the Battery and Globe Electric Co., of Milwaukee, Wis., and is the only switchboard made that has the automatic system of cutting out the dynamos if they are not performing their duty or in case the engine stops the board severs connection with the dynamos and automatically connects with the storage batteries, thus not impairing the current in the least. The board is built so that a duplicate equipment can be installed and used from the same board. The sixty-five cell storage plate battery is capable of maintaining 200 lights for eight hours and the patrons of the system may congratulate themselves that they have a continuous current, something that some of the larger towns do not enjoy.
A conservative estimate for the plant complete is $5,000 and our citizens may well feel highly elated over the fact that it is a very valuable asset to the town, and everything pertaining to the plant forebodes general satisfaction.
Up to the time of going to press the Herald could not find out definitely who will take charge of the running of the plant when it is turned over by the contractors to the purchasers.
The men in charge of the work and the helpers are a jolly bunch and all have proved themselves gentlemen during their stay here.
December 14, 1911
Light plant accepted
F. A. Blakeslee was here Tuesday and officially turned the lighting plant over to the Hunter Light & Power Co. The stockholders are all well satisfied and are glad that it is now in operation and doing such good work.
We now have as good lighting service as any town or city in the state and the citizens ought to be proud of this and do all in their power to make it a success. It has been demonstrated that it is cheaper and better to use electricity than gas and besides the rates on insurance will be lower. Did you ever stop to think of the convenience of having electric lights in your home? Easy to operate, all you have to do is turn on the switch and you have light, no generating and never out of gasoline.
Roy Bunn of Mayville has been retained to run the plant.
Wedding chimesLast Wednesday, Dec. 6, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Rutherford, eleven miles west of Hunter, occurred the marriage of their youngest daughter, Anna Myrtle, to Mr. George Lowry who is an enterprising young merchant of Tilley, Alberta, Canada. At eleven o'clock the Rev. Louis W. Scott of this place pronounced the ceremony which united the happy pair in the Holy Bonds.
December 28, 1911
We need money
It takes money to run a print shop, just the same as it takes money to run any other business. There are a great number of our subscribers who are behind in their subscription, to those who know that they are behind, and if you do not know, look on the paper where you will find it just opposite your name and we wish to say, come and pay up, or send us the required amount, we must have money and as the debt is an honest one we are entitled to it. If you think the paper is good enough it deserves to be paid for and if not good enough, come in and pay up and have the right to stop the name. We need the money and now is the time we need it badly, remember us when in town the next time and call.
December 28, 1911
The Hunter Light & Power Co. has adopted the following rates for lights until Meters are installed. Residences for 1 to 7 lights $1.50 a month, 8 to 15 lights inclusive 20 cents a light, over 15 lights will be $3.00, Business places, 25 watt lamps 20 cents a month, 40 watt 35 cents, 60 watt 50 cents.