Hunter News 1936

Hunter Times

July 9, 1936

Northwest Suffers Heavy Loss as Temperature Reaches 119
Grasshoppers on the Move
Weatherman promises Relief Showers Forecast

The Northwest passed through an all time record for heat Monday and Tuesday with the temperatures rising to a high point as unofficial reports put it at 119, official readings at Bismarck and Moorhead record the highest for Monday at 114 and 113.9.
With the heat was a searing wind that further sucked the life from fields. The feed crops depended on to aid the drought stricken sections of the state have suffered to a great extent.
The grasshoppers are having their day as in the southwestern part of the state they are moving in clouds. The grain and vegetation still survived the burning heat but the hoppers have cleaned all that was left.
In the western area the game wardens are busy moving water fouls as waterholes are drying out and the fouls have been perishing and have moved into farm yards in search of water and feed.
As for local conditions about all that can be said is we need rain to help the corn and potatoes, as for the small grain the outlook is much more promising than it was last year, crops have stood the heat and wind in fine shape, and we will hear the hum of binders within the next week, as we find the farmers are getting out the binder and checking what repairs are needed.
Around Clifford and Galesburg the conditions are not so favorable and we hear rumors that the hum of binders will be for only a few days in small spots.

July 16, 1936

Local Store Goes Modern
The Smerud Co. Store has gone modern. The old cheese box which has had a prominent place in the store for a number of years has had to give way to the more modern equipment, an electric refrigerator.

Funeral Services for Wilhelm G. Schwark Friday
Schwark Passed Away at the age of 16, Invalid all his Life
Wilhelm Gottlieb Schwark, youngest son of Mrs. Emma Schwark, passed away on Tuesday morning at 6:45.
Wilhelm was born October 6, 1920 at Arthur and had been an invalid all his life. He leaves besides his mother one sister, Miss Clara, nurse at St. Luke’s Hospital, Fargo, two brothers, Walter and Alfred at home. His father preceded him in death in 1929, one brother in 1933.
Wilhelm was confirmed April 10, 1936 and became a member of the St. Johns Evangelical Lutheran Church at Arthur.
Funeral services will be held late Friday afternoon from the Lutheran church. Interment in the family lot at Arthur.

July 23, 1936

Old Mill to be Razed
Served Community 35 Years
New Mill to Open in about Two Weeks

The old feed mill, which has served the community for the past 35 years or more, must bid farewell, as on July 28, the work of razing the mill will begin.
The International Elevator Co. has purchased the equipment and the Farmers Elevator Co. of Arthur, present owners, will start removing the machinery on the above date. Wrecking of the old building will begin in the near future. None of the equipment, except the starting switches, is to be used in the new mill.
Mr. Rutten, local manager of the International Elevator Co., states that they hope to have their new feed mill and feed manufacturing plants in operation within the next two weeks.
Please bear in mind then, that after July 28, no more feed will be ground at the old mill.

State Oil & Auto Co. Beautify Grounds
There are two kinds of beauty, natural and man made, and since we have not so many places of natural beauty in and around our community, man must create his own beauty spots. The State Oil and Auto Co. have manifested what can be done in the way of creative beauty. When driving up to the filling station, one sees in front of the office, a miniature castle, with a miniature lake, fishermen, a lily pond, bench and bird bath. The castle wall is made of cement and stones with pillars that remind one of the pictures of ancient historic castles. It can truly be said that this is an artistic spot.

Funeral Services for Henry Delf Saturday
Funeral services for Mr. Henry Delf, age 68, who passed away Wednesday morning at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Van Orsdale, will be conducted Saturday afternoon, from the farm home at 1:30 p.m. and at 2:30 p.m. from the M. E. Church with Rev. McCracken and Rev. Rockwell officiating.
Interment will be in the Hunter Cemetery. Complete obituary in next week’s issue.

Arthur News

Mr. and Mrs. H. Yanzy of Seattle, Wash. stopped in Arthur on Saturday and were dinner guests of Mr. and Mrs. John Wagner. From here they autoed to Fergus Falls, Minn., where they visited with Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Wagner and Mr. and Mrs. Amber Wagner. Mrs. Yanzy is a sister of Mr. Wagner's and has not seen her brother for thirty years.

July 30, 1936

Roy T. Porte Passes Away
Organized Hunter Herald in 1894
Of interest to some of our readers is the news of the death of a former resident, Roy T. Porte of Salt Lake City, Utah.
Mr. Porte was born in New Brunswick, Canada and came when a boy of ten with his mother to Casselton.
At an early age he showed an interest in printing and learned the first lessons when working on the Casselton Reporter.
In 1894 he started the Hunter Herald, being the youngest editor in the state of North Dakota. After leaving Hunter, Mr. Porte started the Porte printing shop in Fargo.
Mr. Porte had achieved fame in the printing world, both in this country and abroad. In 1934 he delivered an address before the International Congress of Printers and Publishers at Utrecht, Holland, and in all the larger cities.
Mr. Porte is survived by his widow, Rhoda Porte. His son Harry of San Francisco and a daughter Helen, are children by his first wife, Jennie Pettit. She died several years ago and was laid to rest in the Hunter cemetery.

Arthur News

A kitchen shower was held at St. Martins Lutheran Church west of Arthur Tuesday afternoon for Mrs. Max Sell and family, who lost their farm home Thursday night by fire. A delicious lunch was served by the ladies of the congregation and many useful gifts and money were contributed. Einer Duane is the name chosen by Mr. and Mrs. Einer Peterson for the baby son who arrived at their home Friday. August 6, 1936

Henry Delf Laid to Rest
Services were held in the M. E. Church, Rev. O. C. McCracken of Fargo Officiating
Henry Delf was born in Denmark, May 4, 1868. At the age of sixteen he emigrated to the United states, settling at Meadville, Missouri, where he resided for twelve years, with the exception of a short period spent in Oklahoma and Wyoming.
March 11th, 1896, he was united in marriage to Virginia Wooderson. Four children were born to this union, one of which died in infancy. In March 1922 he moved with his family to North Dakota and settled on a farm near Hunter, where he lived until the time of his death.
He was converted at an early age, and lived a consistent Christian life from that time, finding his greatest joy in the service of his Lord, and in the house of worship, where for a good many years he was Sunday School Superintendent.
He passed away July 22nd at the home of his daughter in Hunter. He is survived by his wife and three children, Clarence Wesley of Ridgeway, Mo., Thomas Ward at home and Mrs. Edith Van Orsdale of Hunter. He will be missed by a multitude of friends and neighbors.
The funeral was held in the Methodist church in Hunter, Rev. O. C. McCracken of Fargo preaching the sermon, assisted by Rev. Rockwell. The quartette consisting of Clarence Martin, George Nordgren, and Mmes. R. E. Thompson and George Nordgren, and accompanied by Mrs. K. Thompson, sang three songs, “No Disappointment in Heaven,” “Saved by Grace,” and “No Night There.” Interment was in the local cemetery. Pallbearers were Conrad Leraas, Ray Sherritt, C. F. Porter, E. E. Porter, Andrew Dyrdahl, and R. R. Andre.
His son Clarence was unable to attend the funeral services because of illness. L. W. Lamb of Minneapolis, a nephew, attended the services.
The Times joins the community in extending sympathy to the family in their hour of sorrow.

Arthur News

Mr. and Mrs. J. V. Branstretor of Lebanon, Ohio were guests Sunday and Monday of Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Wagner and called on old acquaintances. Mrs. Branstretor was Miss Lida Harris, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Harris, who were pioneer residents of Arthur. Mr. and Mrs. Branstretor were en route to Yellowstone National park and on their return trip will visit relatives in Nebraska and Kansas.

August 13, 1936

Local Man in Car Mishap
Last Saturday while on his way to work, Merland Carr met with an accident about five miles north of town on Highway No. 18.
Driving about 35 miles per hour and just after passing a car coming from the north, he found he was unable to swing his car onto the road again. Fearing his truck was due to hit the ditch Merland said he applied the brakes and held tight to the steering wheel, going over the ditch and right into a telephone pole. Taking the pole with him he straddled the road between the new grade and the old. After the dust had settled Merland got out to see what it was all about, but apparently the truck received the worst end of the deal, as Merland escaped with a slight bruise on his leg. Upon examining the truck he found that the radius rod had dropped, causing his wild escapade.

Carl Jorgensen Passes Away
Carl Jorgensen, who had a paralytic stroke last fall from which he never fully recovered, suffered a stroke again on Monday and passed away at his home late Tuesday evening at the age of seventy-two.
Funeral arrangements have not been made pending word from the pastor who is in So. Dak.

Arthur News

Mr. and Mrs. John Wagner and Mrs. H. J. Wagner went to Fargo on Tuesday where they attended funeral services at the Hanson Funeral Home for Mrs. Edwin Savre of Fargo. Mrs. Savre was a sister-in-law of Mrs. A. B. Savre (Lillian Wagner).
August 20, 1936

Celebrate Wedding Anniversary
Mitchells Celebrated 50th, and R. E. Thompson’s 25th Anniversary
A company of ninety people gathered on the lawn of the J. C. Richardson home Sunday to observe the silver wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Thompson and the golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Mitchell of Oakes, N. D. Tables were placed about the lawn where a bountiful picnic dinner was served at 1 o’clock. A male quartette including Clarence Martin, George Nordgren, Lester Richardson and R. A. Humphrey sang “When You and I were Young, Maggie.” Purses of silver were presented to the two couples, the presentation being made by Mr. Humphrey. Appropriate responses were made by the four honor guests. Out of town guests attending were: Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Mitchell, Mrs. Inez O’Connor, Miss Neysa Mitchell, and Mr. Guy Mitchell, all of Oakes, N. D.; Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Johnson and 2 sons of Huron, S. D.; Mr. and Mrs. K. Tree, Mr. and Mrs. Latta of Wheatland, N. D.; Mr. and Mrs. Lyle Tree and baby daughter Kay of Fargo; Mr. and Mrs. L. A. Runnestrand and daughter of Fargo, Miss Ruth Odell of Fargo; Mr. and Mrs. Christianson of Hillsboro; Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Fisk and 2 children of Fargo, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Acton and son Jimmy of Fargo, Miss Cleo Young of Fargo, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Meyers and daughter Mavis of Fargo; Mr. and Mrs. Garret Doekson and son of Grandin, and Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Humphrey and son of Grandin, Mr. Anderson and son and daughter of Page, and Mr. and Mrs. Lester Richardson of Page, and Miss June McLaird of Minneapolis.

Carl Jorgensen Passes Away
Pioneer Resident of Greenfield Community 52 Years

Carl Jorgensen, 72, resident of Hunter for 52 years who had a paralytic stroke Monday morning, passed away at his home Tuesday morning.
Born in Kjaldernas, Denmark, November 1st, 1861, Mr. Jorgensen immigrated to America in the spring of 1883 at the age of 19 years. He came to Hunter one year later where he farmed until the time of his death.
He was married to Sena Hansen January 2, 1889 and to this union ten children were born. He was preceded in death by a daughter Marion who passed away in February 1920, and his parents and one brother Alfred. He leaves to mourn his passing his wife and nine children: Mrs. John Kyllo, Mrs. Henry Vos and Leo of Galesburg, Simmon of Northwood, Charlie and Paul of Hunter, Mrs. Carl Oien, Blanchard and Ellen and Frederick at home, 35 grandchildren, and one brother August in Denmark. Funeral services were held on Sunday from the house and from the Lutheran church at Hunter with Rev. A. N. Brudvig, pastor, officiating. Music was furnished by the Misses Hannah Siegert, Gladys Knudtsen and Myrtle Moen and Mmes. H. Rasmussen, and Emery Johnson, accompanied by Mrs. W. C. Fisk at the organ. A vocal solo, “I Hear Thy Voice,” was sung by Mrs. E. Johnson. Honorary pallbearers included Andrew Dordal, J. G. Russell, John Stockmoe, Oscar Kyllo, Pete Vodin and Chris Larsen; the five sons and Jake Jacobson were active pallbearers. The body was laid to rest in the family lot in the local cemetery. The sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved in their hour of sorrow.

Van Duyn Porter Wed

Miss Mae Van Duyn, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Van Duyn of Arthur and Lawrence Porter, son of Mr. and Mrs. Forrest Porter of Bagley, Minn. were married at the home of the bridegroom’s parents on Sunday afternoon August 9th at four o’clock. The pastor of the Baptist Church of Fosston, Minn. read the service in the presence of the immediate family members.
Mrs. Noble Neseth of Hill City, Minn. only sister of the bridegroom acted as bridesmaid and Mr. Frank Van Duyn, brother of the bride, attended Mr. Porter. Little Waneta Neseth was the ring bearer.
Miss Mae Van Duyn graduated a year ago from the Arthur High School as Valedictorian and is the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Van Duyn.
Following the ceremony a buffet luncheon was served at the home of the bridegroom’s parents.
Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Porter will make their home at Bagley, Minn.

August 27, 1936

F. Bargenquast Weds Miss Verna Ottesen
Rev. Geo. Hall officiated, Miss Ottesen Graduate Local High School, Will Live in Iowa
On Tuesday afternoon August 25 at 3 p.m. at the Presbyterian manse occurred the marriage of Miss Verna Ottesen and Frank Bargenquast, son of Mrs. Margaret Bargenquast of Shelby, Iowa. Rev. George E. Hall, pastor of the church, officiated. The bride wore a gown of green silk crepe and was attended by Agnes Gotfredsen. Clifford Rosendahl acted as best man. Dorothy Ottesen, sister of the bride, also witnessed the ceremony. A luncheon was served at the home of the bride’s parents following the ceremony at which only the members of the immediate family were present. The couple left that same evening for Shelby, Iowa, where they expect to make their home.
The bride is well known in the community and is a graduate of the local high school.
The best wishes of the community are extended to the young couple.

September 3, 1936

Wreckers Complete Work
Old Feed Mill served Community 51 Years
Last week found the completion of the wrecking of the “Old Feed Mill” owned by the Farmers Elevator Co. of Arthur.
After removal of the equipment, which was purchased by the International Elevator Co., the Farmers Elevator Co. wrecked the building and moved the lumber to Arthur.
The mill was built in about the year 1885 by A. F. Norish and stood just south of where the International Elevator now stands, at that time it was used for elevator purpose, the power being developed by means of a blind-folded horse. In about the year 1900 it was purchased by W. H. Beard and moved to the present site. Mr. Beard also equipped it for feed grinding and made a windlass for pumping water for sheep and stock on the Beard farm, now owned by Mrs. Nels Johnson. This windlass was run by wires from the mil to the well located just on the edge of the farm (down by the willows).
Mr. Beard sold the mill to Max Gotfredsen and since that time has changed hands several times, finally becoming the property of the Farmers Elevator Co. of Arthur.
Birkholder-Hensted Wed. Sept. 2
Will make Home in Hunter
On Wednesday afternoon Sept. 2 in Moorhead occurred the marriage of Miss Thelma Hensted, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Louie Hensted and William Birkholder, son of Mr. and Mrs. Bert Birkholder of the Greenfield community.
The bride was attired in a beige crepe dress with brown accessories. Mrs. Howard Bring, sister of the groom, attended Miss Hensted, while Mr. Howard Bring acted as best man.
The couple will make their home in Hunter, where the groom is employed at the Goss Electric Shop.

September 10, 1936

Funeral Services to be Held
Funeral services for Miss Margaret Bristol, teacher at Luverne, Minn., who was fatally injured by a hit and run driver near the Great Northern station in Minneapolis Monday evening, will be held in the Presbyterian church, Friday, Sept. 11 at 2:30. Miss Bristol formerly lived at Hunter. Complete obituary in next week’s issue. School Opens with Large Enrollment
57 in High School, 95 in Grades, Total Enrollment 152
Hunter High School opened Monday morning with an enrollment of fifty seven pupils, seven above that of last year. The typing class, English Four and United States History report the largest classes.
Between 25 and 30 are registered in them.
In the grades, the enrollment has decreased from 103 last year to ninety five this year. The fifth and sixth grades have the largest number of pupils, 28, while the seventh and eighth grades come second with 23.
The enrollment has been helped this year by the Blanchard students who have come in because of discontinuing of high school work in that district.

Sorenson Weds Aug. 23rd
Local Boy Weds Billings, Mont. Girl at Lemmon, South Dakota

On Thursday of last week who should appear in our midst but Ted Sorenson of Bismarck. Ted has joined the rank and file of married men now, and was accompanied by his wife.
Mr. Sorenson was married to Miss Helen Coole of Billings, Montana, on August 23, at Lemmon, So. Dak.
Ted spent last winter in the employ of the Hunter Times. He left here in the spring to take over the duties of editor of the Farmers’ Press, Williston, and soon afterwards became business manager, which position he held until his resignation September 1. He is now with the Liner Circulation Service and is in charge of a statewide subscription drive being conducted by the Leader.
Mr. and Mrs. Sorenson’s visit was short, stopping overnight at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Sorenson, Sr. The news spread quickly and arrangements were made for a little surprise on the newlyweds. The crowd gathered and forced the couple to take "a ride," a ride where "objections" were overruled, especially since his honor the Mayor took a hand in the affairs, so as good sports they accepted the ride, finally stopping at Young’s Café, where refreshments were enjoyed by all. The Community extends congratulations and best wishes to the young couple.

September 17, 1936

Last Rites for Margaret Bristol
Services were held from the Presbyterian Church with the Rev. G. Hull and J. Roberts Officiating

Last Friday afternoon a large congregation of sorrowing friends from near and far gathered at the Presbyterian church to share in the last sad rites of Miss Margaret Bristol, a victim of a hit and run driver in the city of Minneapolis on the evening of Labor Day. Miss Bristol, the daughter of the late George Bristol, and his wife Katharine Bristol, made her home here in Hunter a few years ago and while here won the respect and admiration of all who came to know her. During the past two years she resided with her widowed mother at Luverne, where she taught in the high school. She was an honor student of Jamestown College and a number of college faculty attended the service here. Margaret was a wonderful influence for good both in the realm of education and religion and it is sad to think of such a fine Christian character being cut off in the midst of life, for she was only 32 years of age.
The service was conducted by the Rev. George R. Hull, who brought a message of comfort and assurance from Shepherd Psalm. He spoke of the Three Dominant Notes in the Pilgrim Song—Security, Courage and Confidence, and spoke of them as being the dominant notes in the life of the deceased, and concluded his remarks by reading a few verses written by Miss Bristol seemingly just prior to her death, in which it was shown very conclusively that Security, Courage and Confidence were her portion.

Hunter Pioneer is Called by Death
Mrs. Annie Sayer Passes Away at her Home at the Age of 80 Years
Last Sunday evening at about 9:30 the Grim Reaper called at the Annie Sayer residence and another one of our pioneer mothers closed he eyes upon the scenes of this world.
Mrs. Sayer, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Rintoul, was born in St. Helens, Ontario, Canada, June 28, 1856. In the spring of 1880 the Rintoul family came into the Dakota Territory and took a homestead 2 miles east of Galesburg. In the year 1886 the deceased was united in marriage to Robert A. Sayer and the young couple settled upon the farm 2 1-2 miles N. W. of Hunter, and here they continued to live until 1916 when they moved into town, and here our good friend lingered until her death, which occurred last Sunday evening, Sept. 13. She was 80 years, 2 months and 15 days. Three daughters were born to Mr. and Mrs. Sayer, but only the son, Almon, survives the mother. Mr. Sayer passed away in April 1934.
There are also two brothers and one sister: Neil Rintoul, Westhope, N. Dak., Harry Rintoul, Page, N. Dak., Mrs. Wonser, Baudette, Minn. Mrs. Sayer was a good wife and mother, but she was never very much concerned winning for herself a place in the public eye; she seemed quite happy to play her little part in her home, enjoying her own fireside and her children. She has been one of those faithful souls who has done her work, played her part in a quiet way and has at last come to the close of life’s little day and has entered into her rest. She died from complications incident to advanced years. The funeral service was held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o’clock from the Presbyterian church. The service was conducted by the pastor, Rev. George R. Hull and fitting musical numbers were sung by a quartet consisting of Mrs. Emil Moen, Mrs. Otis Mays, Mr. Harry Gale and Mrs. Merland Carr. The body was born to its final resting place beside the husband in the Hunter cemetery.
The pallbearers were as follows: O. W. Parkhurst, E. I. Moen, Joe Baldock, R. A. Young, Victor Larsen, and Earl Frickey. Those attending from out of town were: Mr. and Mrs. Irvin Hicks, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Rintoul and son Floyd of Page, N. Dak. and Glenn Rintoul of Lisbon, N. Dak.

October 1, 1936

Arthur News

A son was born this week to Mr. and Mrs. Roy Sexton of Ponsford, Minn. Mrs. Sexton will be remembered as Miss. Campbell.
Mr. and Mrs. August Wilke of Wimbledon, Mr. and Mrs. Vern Roberts of New Mexico were guests of Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Wagner Sunday. Mr. Roberts is the noted Fargo aviator and his wife is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wilke.
The wedding of Miss Viola Pueppke, organist of St. Martin’s Church for the past years, and Mr. Beck of Oklahoma City, occurred Sunday at St. Martin’s Church, Rev. Unruh officiating. They were attended by Richard Viestenz and Martha Priewe. The wedding music was played by Mrs. Haacke and Rev. E. Haacke sang two solos. The wedding supper was served at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Howard Pueppke, brother of the bride. Mr. and Mrs. Beck left for an extended wedding trip to Cleveland, Ohio, and Kentucky and will make their home at Oklahoma, where the groom has a large dairy farm.

October 8, 1936

Arthur News

A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Hank Murch on September 28.
A party was given at the town hall Wednesday night for Mr. and Mrs. Al Pierson, who were married recently. Mrs. Pierson was formerly Miss Minnie Sell.
The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. George Parkhouse, Charles Kenneth, one year old, died Saturday in a Fargo hospital from streptococcus meningitis as a result of contracting trench mouth. Beside his parents he leaves two sisters and one brother. Funeral services were held Monday at 2 o’clock at the Catholic Church at Hunter, burial was in the Arthur cemetery.

Ramstad-Dickson Wedding Solemnized
Popular Young People exchange Nuptial Vows at Bride's Home West of Hunter Saturday
Miss Evelyn Lorraine Dickson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Dickson, Galesburg, N. D., became the bride of Mr. Lyle E. Ramstad, Hunter, N. D. at a noon service Saturday, October 3, solemnized in the home of the bride’s parents by Rev. Brudvig, pastor of the Lutheran church at Galesburg. Mrs. Ramstad was attended by her cousin Miss Betty Dickson of Willmar, Minn. and Mr. Ramstad was attended by his brother Allan Ramstad. The bride was gowned in a full length dress of white satin and lace carrying a bouquet of pink roses.
Miss Betty Dickson, the maid of honor, was attired in a floor length dress of soft pink organdy. She wore a corsage of pink roses.
Miss Meredith Sayer, school friend of the bride sang, “Oh Promise Me” and “I Love You Truly,” accompanied by Mrs. Emil Moen who played the wedding march as the bridal group entered. A buffet luncheon in the bride’s home followed the ceremony for members of the wedding party, the family, and intimate friends. Decorations were carried out in white and purple, using white and purple asters for the tables. Mr. and Mrs. Ramstad are graduates of Hunter high school and are well and favorably known in this community. After a wedding trip to the Black Hills where they will visit relatives, they will make their home on a farm near Hunter. The young couple have the best wishes of the community for their future happiness.

October 15, 1936

Former Hunter Resident Passes Away
Mrs. F. A. Kollusky, 39, of Buhl, Idaho, former Hunter resident, died unexpectedly at her home at 2 p.m. Saturday.

Born at Montevideo, Minn., Mrs. Kollusky moved with her family when a child to Minneapolis, where she resided until her marriage to Dr. Kollusky. She leaves her husband, Dr. Kollusky, former Hunter dentist, a sister, Mrs. P. B. Garberg of Fargo, her mother, Mrs. Anna Borgen, a sister, Mrs. Hazelton and brothers Louis and Arthur Borgen, all of Minneapolis.

Dickson-Huwe Wed.
On Thursday October 8th at 2 p.m. at the home of Mr. Albert Huwe, occurred the marriage of his daughter Selma to Mr. Kerney Dickson of Hunter. The bride was attired in a brown suit and wore brown accessories to match. A sister Miss Leona attended the bride, while a brother Raymond acted as best man. The couple left on a wedding trip to Dallas, Texas, after which they will be at home on the groom’s farm west of Hunter.

Alma Anderson in Accident
Mrs. Albert Anderson was called to Fargo Monday to be with her daughter Alma, who met with injury in an automobile accident on her way to her school Monday morning. The cause of the accident is unknown, but apparently was due to some defect in the steering gear, as the car suddenly left the road and overturned in the ditch. Miss Anderson was taken into Fargo for medical aid. Examinations showed only minor bruises.

Arthur News

David Louis, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Bettschen was baptized Friday, October 9, by Rev. L. R. Burgum of Jamestown.

October 22, 1936

Mr. and Mrs. O. T. Hull observe 25th Wedding
Former Hunter Residents honored Guests
About sixty friends and relatives gathered at the O. T. Hull home at Page, on Sunday, to help them celebrate their twenty-fifth anniversary.
The time was spent informally until about 2 p.m., when a buffet lunch was served. The decorations were in lavender and white, a vase of lavender and white asters adorned the table at which the honored guests were seated, there was also a large three tier wedding cake ecorated in lavender and white. A short program of music and songs followed the lunch. A silver offering was then presented to the couple. The guests departed at dusk wishing Mr. and Ms. Hull future happiness.

Arthur News

Mr. and Mrs. A. K. Judisch and Mrs. Herman Wagner of Arthur and Mr. and Mrs. Ed Judisch of Erie autoed to different parts of Wis. to visit relatives and friends.
Dows Township
School No. 2 of Dows District 93 will be dedicated next Wednesday Oct. 28th. Program opens at 8 p.m. Lunch will be served.

October 29, 1936

Roberta Buethner Passes Away
Funeral services for Roberta Buethner, seven year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gus Buethner, who passed away at her home on Wednesday, will be held Saturday afternoon at the Zion Lutheran church at Hillsboro. Death was due to pneumonia.

Dedication of New Hymnals
Arthur M. E. Church dedicate New Hymnals

A hymn concert and social gathering was held at the Methodist church Friday night with the dedication of forty new hymnals by Rev. W. W. Gunter. After dedicatory services a program of local talent was given as follows: History of the Old Hymnals, Mrs. R. H. Vosburg, a playlet by Mrs. R. Winings, Edna Van Duyn, Ruth Winings and Shirley Lewis. The New Hymnal speaks by Helen Branstead, vocal and instrumental trio by the Charles Turner family.
Vocal duet by Phyllis Campbell and Helen Branstead. Orchestra numbers by the Reed quartet. After the exercises a bountiful lunch was served of individual Halloween cakes, sandwiches, pickles and coffee. The table was decorated with yellow candles. An hour of social visiting was engaged. Mrs. J. A. Burgum was in charge of the general arrangements assisted by Mrs. C. H. Branstead and Mrs. R. H. Vosburg.

December 3, 1936

Arthur News>

A baby daughter arrived Monday at the Hunter hospital for Mr. and Mrs. Helding Anderson and a baby boy to Mr. and Mrs. Edward Boettcher.

December 10, 1936

Arthur News

Mr. and Mrs. John Wagner and Herman Wagner autoed to Fargo Monday where they visited with Mrs. H. Wagner, who is in the hospital. Mrs. Herman Wagner’s many friends will be glad to learn that she is resting well at the St. Lukes Hospital in Fargo, after slight injuries received from a fall Thursday evening.

Dr. Ayres pays a Visit to Home Town
Has interesting Experience as Doctor in Bahama Islands
Dr. Jim Ayres, son of W. T. P. Ayres (better known as Jack to the old timers) stopped at Hunter Thursday December 3, and visited between buses with an old friend of the family, J. B. Hockridge. By the courtesy of Ed. Collins and Rev. Hull, Dr. Ayres was able to visit the family home now owned by W. H. Sutton, and called on Mrs. Robert Stewart, and visited his mother’s grave at the cemetery. Jim’s father, Jack, was a close friend of Mr. Hockridge’s, when in the early eighties they owned and operated a threshing machine. Later Mr. Ayres left for Alberta, Canada, where he located on a ranch. At the age of three Jim left with his grandfather to live at Petersboro in eastern Ontario, Canada, where he lived until he completed high school. His grandfather was determined to have a minister in the family and offered an education at Oxford University to anyone of his sons (four) who would accept this profession. None of his sons would enter the ministry, so Jim decided to accept the grandfather’s offer. The World War altered his plans and he enlisted in the air forces. The following item taken from High River Times gives a detailed account of his life to the present time. Mr. and Mrs. Clark Ayres have had as their guest last week, their nephew Dr. Ayres, who has come from the Bahama Islands and is enroute to England. For some years Dr. Ayres has been stationed in the Bahamas, connected with the British government, in his medical capacity. He has travelled up through the States to visit his Western relatives and before going on to England intends to spend a time at the Mayo Clinic at Rochester. On his visit to High River, he was accompanied by Clark Ayres’s sister, Mrs. Dafoe of Calgary, who incidentally is an aunt by marriage of Dr. Dafoe of Callander, Ontario. Dr. Ayres has had a very busy and varied life and his scholastic attainment is great. As a young lad he enlisted in the air force from Toronto University. Following the war, he remained in England to continue his education, and in the course of years secured the following degrees from Oxford University—Master of Arts, Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. He is also a member of the Royal College of Surgeons, England and L. R. C. P. of London. His professional and academic work which covered some fifteen years overseas, was punctuated by much travelling over Europe.

Arthur News>

Her 73rd birthday party was enjoyed by Mrs. Mary McKinnon at the home of her daughter Mrs. Frank Kuehn Monday afternoon. Mrs. McKinnon came to Cass County 53 years ago and has resided here continuously since. For twenty five years she served on the school board and was recently awarded a Merit Certificate by the Cass County School Officers Association. A delicious lunch was served to the guests who wished her many more happy years.

December 24, 1936

Former Arthur Resident Passes Away
Dr. Phillip Reedy, aged 54, who died at Lisbon, North Dakota of strangulation from an electric light cord, was buried there Sunday with military funeral services conducted at State Soldiers Home and later at the Methodist Church, Rev. Duden officiating. Dr. Reedy located at Arthur after his return from France, where he served as surgeon of troop transports in 1919. His first wife Miss Rachel O’Neil passing away in 1922 and leaving a daughter Patricia Ann born at Arthur. He moved to Casselton in 1923 and later to Fargo and Lisbon. He is survived by his wife formerly Clara Gretter, and two small sons and a daughter by his first wife. He organized the American Legion Post at Arthur and was its first commander. He became the staff physician of Ransom County Medical Association whose members pay fixed yearly dues for medical attention.

Arthur News

Mr. and Mrs. Adolph Priewe are the parents of a baby girl born on Saturday.

December 31, 1936

Arthur News

Ed Trego passed away in a Fargo hospital Wednesday from pneumonia.
A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Russell Wilson Saturday December 26.
The infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ward Sheldon was baptized on Sunday by Rev. Unruh, the name given was Katheleen Rae.
Mr. and Mrs. A. P. Shawron of Cincinnati, Ohio are visiting with the latter’s sisters and brothers. Mrs. Shawron will be remembered as Frieda Viestenz.

Prominent Arthur Couple married in Fargo
First Presbyterian Church Scene of Pretty Candle Light Service

A wedding of general interest occurred in Fargo Saturday at 5:30 p.m. at a candlelight ceremony in the First Presbyterian church in Fargo, when Miss Dorothy Williams, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Williams of Arthur exchanged marriage vows with Mr. Alton Burgum, son of Mrs. Jessamine Burgum also of Arthur. The ring service was read by Rev. Leslie Burgum, cousin of the bridegroom and pastor of the Methodist Church at Jamestown. Preceding the ceremony, Miss Doris Helland of Arthur, a school friend of the bride, played a program of nuptial music on the pipe organ, including Chopin’s “Nocturne,” Andante by Baptiste, and Ave Maria; wedding music from Lohengrin as the processional and Mendelssohn’s wedding march as the recessional. Miss Florence Williams of Fargo with Miss Helland as accompanist, sang, “Because” and “At Dawning.” Down the main aisle of the church a white carpet had been laid to the chancel and the first to be escorted to their seats at the right and left of the chancel were the mothers of the bride and groom followed by the bridesmaids, maid of honor and the ushers, who were the bride’s brothers, Lloyd and Fred Williams. Mrs. Williams, mother of the bride, wore dubonnet velvet and Mrs. Burgum, mother of the groom wore coronation blue velvet and both wore shoulder corsages of Johanna Hill roses. The bridesmaids, Miss Helen Frederickson of Davenport and Miss Florence Phillips of Fargo wore identical gowns of tea rose moire taffeta. The maid of honor, Miss Grace Williams, sister of the bride, wore a colonial model of aqua blue moire taffeta. All carried white poinsettias and wore gold bracelets, gifts of the bride. The bride entered with her father who gave her in marriage. Her gown was the white alecorn lace made in princess style with a long sweeping circular train, a stand up collar and puffed sleeves, which came to small points at the wrists, and a row of satin covered buttons from neck to waist. The bridal veil was of fingertip length and held in place by a shirred halo cap of tulle with clusters of orange blossoms. A sheaf of white poinsettias with tulle bows was the bride’s bouquet. As the bride and her father proceeded down the middle aisle, the minister, and groom and the best man, Joey Burgum, the groom’s brother advanced to the altar from the right side entrance, while the bridesmaids, maid of honor and ushers were grouped on the left. At the close of the service the young couple knelt on a pillow covered with white satin in front of the altar to receive the benediction. Tall cathedral candles in seven-branched candelabra, white poinsettias in baskets against the Christmas greenery that adorned the altar and chancel made a beautiful setting in the soft glow of the candles for a very impressive marriage ceremony. A reception followed at the Gardner Hotel, with a Christmas tree gaily decorated with lights of all colors, to provide the Christmas atmosphere. Silver and white appointments were used for the wedding dinner and overs were laid for ninety following the reception. The bride’s table was decorated with a three tiered wedding cake and white poinsettias. During the dinner a string quartet furnished music and Rev. Burgum sang “Love’s Old Sweet Song.” Telegrams of congratulations from Los Angeles and Minneapolis friends were received and read by the groom. Alton Burgum and his bride left by car Saturday for Pasadena and other points in California. Mrs. Burgum travelled in a green tailored suit with beaver trimmings and white satin blouse with accessories to match. They will be at home January 21st and will occupy the Sommerfeld bungalow. Mr. Burgum is manager of the Farmer Elevator and Hunter Power Co. He attended the State University and his fraternity there was Lambda Chi. Mrs. Burgum has been attending Minnesota U for the past two years.
Fifty seven guests motored from Arthur to attend the wedding and relatives from Chicago and Milwaukee were present to wish the young couple every happiness.

Arthur Community Gives Farewell Reception
Rev. Haacke and Family Honored
A farewell reception was given at the St. John’s Lutheran church Monday evening for Rev. and Mrs. Haacke and family who leave for their new home in the parsonage at Steele, North Dakota. A fine program of music and readings were given as follows: Prayer by Rev. George Unruh; Pipe organ solo, Doris Helland; Trombone solo, Bert Bettschen; Vocal solo, Rev. Ernest Haacke; Reading, Elfreida Sommerfeld; Song, by the Choir; Trio, Isabel and Evelyn Willert and Edith Slingsby.

The guest speaker introduced by Rev. Unruh was Rev. August Hoeger of Fargo, president of the Good Samaritan Society who paid tribute to Rev. Haacke’s administration as Supt. for seven years of the Arthur Good Samaritan Home. Rev. Haacke graciously responded his appreciation and the program closed with singing “God be with you till we meet again.” The Ladies Aid invited the large company present to the church parlors where a lunch of coffee, ice cream and cake was served. Regret was expressed that the Haacke family of gifted parents and children are leaving us but the loss of our community will be a worthy gain to the Steele community where they will make their future home.