A HISTORY OF LUDDEN AND VICINITY
(transcribed by Lisa Richards of the DCHS)
In October 1886, S. L. Kemmerer purchased the lots originally owned by C. S. Sessions, and at once commenced the erection of the Ludden Bank. After the completion he installed his son, I. J. Kemmerer as cashier. The bank was a paying and prosperous institution as long as it was in operation. It ran until August 19, 1890, when it closed its doors and went out of existence. The new bank law which went into effect at that time rendered it compulsory for a bank to become a State bank. One man could no longer own and operate a bank in the state of North Dakota.
Saturday evening January 15, 1887 the “James Rowe Post” (named for James Rowe, deceased) of Ludden met and held their first Camp Fire and installation of officers which were as follows:
Commander, E. R. Kennedy:
Adjutant, M. O. Guptil;
Quartermaster, Thomas Lovell;
Chaplain; C. W. Corwin.
Two hundred fifty partook of supper with the veterans afterwards speeches, songs and anecdotes were in order. W. H. Ellis gave a short oration, E. R. Kennedy gave an original essay on the Citizen Soldier, Miss. Grace Varleton sang “Marching thru Georgia,” 30 voices rendered patriotic songs, Prof. Eaton gave a lecture. Major Ogden Lovell was installing officer. Owing to the inclemency of the weather and deep snow, there were not as many present as there would have been under more favorable circumstances: and nearly all of those from out of town were obliged to stay in Randall’s Hall over night and the next day, which was Sunday as the roads were impassable.
The “James Rowe Post” has become extinct. The members, being transferred one at a time to other Posts, Mr. E. R. Kennedy being the last one to leave in the fall of 1909.
The “James Rowe Post” was the only Post in the country that observed Decoration Day in 1887.
Here is a school report for January 1887 for the town school:
Percentage of attendance 87
Those neither absent or tardy during the month, indicated by star.
Millie Woddall 96
Maud Bohannan 92
Laura Bohannan 79
Gracie Halborn --
Theadore Leach 91
Earl Bohannan --
Willie Bohannan 79
Clarence Watson --
Bert Greenwood *94
Delia Corwin *88
Everett Barker 97
Stella Samson --
Leland Samson 93
Orian Samson 92
John Whitely 99
Ailie Devlin --
Geo. Seeley 93
Ida Randall 92
Chet. H. Baleman, teacher.
The institution of Ludden Lodge No. 93 I.O.O.F.: Grand Masther H. J. Rice and several other Grand Lodge officials from Huron, S.D., together with the Columbia Lodge according to appointment, came up on the evening train of February 16th 1887 and proceed to institute a lodge. About 30 members were accepted and the work of instituting continued until about 12:30 o’clock, when the sat down and partook of an elegant lunch prepared by Mine Host Hillbrook.
After the supper the following officers were installed for Ludden Lodge No. 93:
Chester H. Bateman, N.G.
T. H. Faus, V.G.
W. H. Ellis, Sect.
N. H. Peavler, Treas.
J. Kemmerer, P. Sec.
C. B Gilbert, Conductor
W. H. Bush, Warden
W. H Marsh, P.G.
E. D. Dunton, R.S. S.
John Kendall, L.S.S
W. H. Bohannan, Chaplain
C. A. Messner, R.S.N.G
Scott Jewett, L.S.N.G.
Wm. N. Bateman, R.S.V.G
E. Crookston, L.S.V.G.
J.H. Heffner, I.G.
A.A. Dickerson, O.G.
In 1887 John Kendall and Charles Devendorf used to quiet and soothe the nerves of the Luddenites by playing a double solo, on different streets.
A card of thanks in 1887, to the young people of Ludden: “I hereby return my sincere thanks for your generous donation of twenty dollars, not simply for the intrinsic value, but as a manifestation of your appreciation of the Gospel in your midst. Your presence in the congregation at the religious services is an encouragement and inspiration, and I trust you may secure such spiritual profit as will compensate you for the above manifestation you have made in the advancement of the cause of Christ.” C. B. Gilbert.
In June 1887, There were 116 votes cast for and against bonding the township for $2500 to erect a school building in the town of Ludden: 16 votes majority won and the matter was forever settled.
One of the resolutions was to keep wild mustard and other fould weeds from the land and aid the officers to enforce the law for the same.
From and unsigned pen “Prosy Poetry”
Tell us not in mournful numbers,
That our town is full of gloom,
For the man’s a crank who slumbers,
In these bustling days of bloom.
Life is real, life is earnest,
And the grave is not its goal,
Every dollar that thou ternest,
Helps to make our old town roll.
But enjoyment and not sorrow,
Is our destined end or way;
If you have no money,
Borrow-buy a corner lot each day!
Lives o’ great men all remind us,
We can win immortal fame;
Let us leave the chumps behind us,
And we’ll get there just the same.
In this world’s broad field of battle,
In the bivouac of life,
Let us make the dry bones rattle,
Buy a corner for your wife!
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Booming early, booming late.
Let us then be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate.
It was voted in 1887 that a certain style of high white hats be donned by the young Ludden swells and the demand was so great that the supply gave out. We read that the Ladies Aid made an ineffectual attempt to procure one for the editor of the Times.
The bank of Ludden in 1887 added to its exchecker, by dealing in farming implement.
Citizens of Ludden met in Randall’s Hall, February 9, 1887 to take steps towards the incorporation of Ludden; but the plans were not materialized until 1909.
The town began to assume city airs in 1887 as private telegraph wires connected private business houses and several used the telephone.
Previous to March 25th, 1887 the Odd Fellows held their meetings in Randall’s hall.
In 1887 Ludden was the best potato market in the valley. Farmers received from 40 cents to 50 cents a bushel.
The Commercial Hotel while it was run by Mr. Galbrook, ran a free omnibus to and from all Manitoba, (now G.N.) trains.
Postmaster Smith (Thomas) owned a fast horse, Gray Billy, that used to get around the track before any other in 1887.
D.N. Bailey owned a fine herd of Jerseys, north of town in 1887 which he took to county fairs in the fall.
In April on the 22nd day, 1887, Ludden Times gave an account of a game of marbles played by a group of business men on Main Street.
Mr. Kent was county superintendent of schools about this time.
The Ludden Times as early as 1887 was Dickey county’s third official newspaper.
The Ladies Aid gave a weight social in their new church July 28, 1887, which was largely attended.
It was 30 below zero November 1887.
There was an interesting running race on the track September 24th 1887, between Crinnion’s pony, Nellie, and the younger, a stranger called Cole. The forfeit was $100, and the wager was $400. Crinnion’s horse won as usual.
Ludden boasted of a fine base ball nine in the early days with J. W. Bush, captain.
It was nothing out of the usual in early Ludden times for the dancing inspiration to descend on the young folks and an impromptu affair be in lively progressive in less than half an hour.
Agent Covert broke ground on the first of June 1887, for his neat residence on R. R. Avenue.
In these early days fresh pickerel was delivered every other day, in town by Finlanders from Couches Lake.
In 1887 Dick Huffman clerked for Randall Brothers.
A good many people living in this vicinity will remember Tom Crinnion’s fast running pony and how it always won in a race.
The grocery and confectionery store of C. L Devendorf on Main Street was briken into on Saturday night of March 5th 1887. The door was smashed and a small amount of money and cigars were taken, and a large amount of damage done by upsetting and dsetroying things generally. Business men offered $50. reward for the apprehension of the thief.
M. H. Sanborn and Miss Vinnie Hall braved a bad storm December 31, 1887 to drive to Ellendale so as to be in town to attend a Leap year dance gotten up by ladies, to come off January 2nd. The distance was 22 miles.
During the first week of January 1887 the thermometer went as low as 55 degrees below zero.
Mr. Johnson and daughter, Emma led a beautiful song service at Randall’s Hall January 2nd, 1887. They were noted singers. Mr. Johnson conducted a singing class during the fall and the early winter of 1886 and 1887 which he concluded with a grand concert January 14th 1887 that will never be forgotten by those fortunate enough to be in attendance. The gentleman and his daughter afterwards went to LaMoure and organized a class there.
The band boys gave a grand masquerade ball, January 19th 1887 with a big attendance.
During the winter of 1886 and 1887 James E. Chase, a jeweler from Oakes made Ludden every Thursday, where he conducted quite a business of repairing watches, clocks and jewelry of all kinds. He occupied a part of F. E. Randall’s store.
The following were given for one bushel of wheat at Randall Bros. 25lbs., patent flour 4lbs., bran 4lbs., shorts.
In January 1887 Prof. Eaton was severely burned on his hand in the attempt to extinguish a fire in his dwelling house on the farm. The fire was caused by the explosion of two lanterns and kerosene in a saucer and on the outside of an oil can. He had a very narrow escape from burning up the house, but by the aid of blankets and house rugs the flames were smothered.
Carl La Dee, a celebrated showman gave one of his popular dioramic entertainments in Randall’s Hall January 20th 1887.
January 15th, 1887 a severe snow storm occurred. About three feet of snow on the level fell and there were no services in the church the next day.
February 7th, 1887 Postmaster Smith received notice to commence forwarding mail by way of the C & N. W. railroad to La Moure and Aberdeen. Wednesday February 13th 1887 the first mail arrived by railway.
The population of Ludden in 1887 was 200 and good prospects for more.
Walter Crow owned a notedly baky horse in 1887.
The bank of Ludden was doing a rushing business in 1887.
The post office was in the Times office in 1887.
The I.O.G.T. of Ludden had the free use of one column in the Ludden Times in 1837.
Mr. Chase took up his permanent adobe in town February 1887 and took possession of one of the drug store windows for his place of business.
Obituary of one of Ludden’s early settlers. From the M.E. church last Monday were borne the remains of one of our highly respected citizens, followed by a long procession of the mourning family and friends. Mr. J. A. Curtiss was a native of New York from which state he served in the rebellion and was discharged after the close of the war from a hospital where he had been under treatment. Since that time he has not been a strong man and undoubtedly by exposures and hardships of army life, were painted the seeds of disease from which he has since suffered and which caused his death at 11 o’clock p.m. February 16, 1887. Came from Minnesota to this territory five years ago, opening a boarding house at old Ludden. With others he built the first hotel in this village which he managed successfully. He was a kind neighbor, a sober, industrious, enterprising citizen loyal in defence of his country, a member of the Presbyterian church an affectionate husband and father. He was highly esteemed by all who knew him and will be greatly missed by a large circle of friends and especially by his old solider comrades. He leaves a wife and two daughters who have the sympathy of all in their bereavement.
The young people of town formed themselves into a sleighing party and surprised the batchelor brothers, T. S. and R. O. Smith on the night of January 4th, 1887. The party furnished many baskets of goodies that tasted remarkably good to the two hosts, and brot the fact vividly to their minds that they were unmarried and unable to prepare such dainties for themselves.
The Ladies Aid gave a unique affair February 21st 1887 in Randall hall. It was called an “Apron Social.” The ladies requested to bring an unfinished apron with needle and thread to finish it. The gentlemen were expected to finish it before they could receive their pardner for supper. A prize of a fine necktie was given to the gentleman who sewed the best. We could not learn who got the tie.
The Choral Society was in full pledged prosperity in 1887.
A telephone made communication possible between the Moshier House and Devendorf’s store in 1887.
Ludden had a telegraph exchange which worked very satisfactorly in 1887. It connected several business houses.
A deputy sheriff was called to Ludden in the winter of 1887.
I.P. Heffner was refused a license, and it was afterwards learned that nearly every business man in town had signed a petition asking that a license be granted to the applicant.
G. M. Baker put an appreciation advertising testimonial in the Times of 1887 recommending the good harness to be found at Bucklins and Foster’s shop, which would be appealing to the Ludden public.
Miss Vinnie Hall attended college in St. Paul in the winter of 1887.
The Moshier House used to be a favorite meeting place for the Choral Society.
Gordon and Pettibone frequently advertised in early Ludden Times that they were doing a general canvassing business, which upon investigation we learned they were sewing machine agents.
The Good Templer’s lodge gave a maple sugar social at Randall’s Hall April 7th 1887.
H. E. McKee sold out his interest in the firm of Dunton-Daus & Co., February 1887.
Major Lovell rented his farm south of town and moved into town in the spring of 1887.
The Moshier House discontinued business in April, 1887. Mr. John Moshier, the owner, sold his furniture to Stewart and Cook, proprietors of the Marshall House.
A mass meeting of the citizens was held in March 1887 to take steps towards securing the Manitoba track nearer the town. But as is now known the plan fell thru for some reason.
Rev. C. B. Gilbert delivered an eulogy on the life of Henry Ward Beecher, March 27th 1887.
Seeding commenced the middle of March 1887.
Tom Jones was blacksmithing in Ludden in 1887.
There was a mass meeting held in April, 1887 for the purpose of discussing the best method of inducing the Manitoba to run nearer to Ludden. All the citizens were unanimous in the vote for the affirmative and F. E. Randall, I. J. Kemmerer, and W. H. Ellis were the appointed committee to go to St. Paul and wait upon Pres. Hill of the Manitoba, Monango and Wahburn of the Minneapolis and Pacific railways.
There was fine skating on the Jim river in November 1887.
Miss Alich Raleigh of Ellendale and Elmer D. McKee of Ludden were married November 24th 1887.
Rev. C. W. Riches pastor of the M. E. Church in 1887 and 1888 at the close of his remarks one night, made the startling announcement that after long thot on the subject he was about to leave the Methodist and had already become a Baptist in his belief. The people were expecting that on account of uncongeniality between him and his flock that he would ask for a change of denomination was meditated. Mr. Riches left Ludden in a few days for Fargo. A supply minister was sent to take his place.
Mr. Delos McKee rented Wm Leffingwell’s residence on 2nd Ave for the winter of 1887.
Mr. Farrigus claimed the honor of buying the first bill of lumber in Ludden.
Mr. Crookston was the first merchant in Ludden and occupied a building that he built himself, hauling the lumber from Ellendale as the railroad was not built to this place. He believed in the strictly cash system, and by various devices carried out his principle and theory.
In the winter of 1887 Ludden organized its brass band.
The first banker was I.J. Kemmerer.
Dr. Karten was the first doctor and he also owned a drug store. Shortly after he came, Dr. Stewart arrived and was with John Kendall in his drug store. The thir druggist was Mr. Bohannan.
The first feed mill was owned by E. E. Grout and H. H. Woodhull, situated west of Henry Taylor’s residence.
The first baby born in this township was Mabel Kennedy in 1883.
“Wednesday May 27th 1885 at exactly 3:30 p.m. the first team of horses poised themselves on our East river bridge. The occasion called forth loud cheers by the workmen who were building the approaches.” This bridge is what is now known as the “Old Bridge.”
The first house in the town of Ludden was owned by J.B. Shaw. He finished and moved into his new building on Main St., the first of June s1887. The lower floor was devoted to a tonsorial parlor and baths, while the second floor was occupied by himself and wife as a residence. No neater apartments were to be found in town.
The second building was Lovell Bros. Lumber and Coal office at Old Ludden and as soon as the town of present Ludden was platted, the building was moved over and placed on the same spot where it stands at the present day. Later it was remodeled and used as Ogden Lovell’s residence. It was sold to Mr. Mason in 1897. The Mason family still owns it, and resides in it.
One morning in June 1887 Frank Emerson lost his newly built house and all of the contents by fire. He carried only a small insurance policy. It was a heavy loss but Frank quickly rallied and was soon on his feet again.
Crops looked more than fine in early June 1887 but after the damaging wind of June 18th, which closely resembled a cyclone, the prospect was somewhat changed. During the storm, the air seemed full of barns, lumber, barrels and all kinds of rubbish. Nearly all the small buildings were demolished and many store fronts and the lumber yards. Nearly all the people sought their cellars. F. E. Randall and J. K. Highby accommodated many women and children. Below is a list of damages during that memorable night: J.P. Walker barn demolished; John Kendall windows broken by flying timbers and house deluged with water; T. H. Faus, barn blown down; John Tomlinson, front and his yellow dog Spot, badly scared; A. & c. Randall, suffered severely, the flying timber striking their large glass front and completely destroying it, thus exposing throut the entire storm their goods which were damaged to the extent of hundreds of dollars. The store of F. E. Randall suffered the same fate. E Crookston’s store was filled with water and some goods damages. The Marshall House lost its brick chimneys and was otherwise damaged. Mr. Eatons granary looks crosslegged, C. L. Devendorf met with a slight loss by broken windows. Mr. Greenawald, north of town lost his barn but no damage to the stock. Mr. Grozier also met with a similar loss. The Crinnion brothers, Mr. Kubelneck, Mr. Steld and George May had a slight loss by hail, but L. M. Devendorf’s fine barn of grain was seriously damaged. Mr. Devendorf was the heaviest loser and the only one who had no insurance on his crop. Several caring souls sought religious council, among them were I. J. Kemmerer, and Dr. Karton. A few people lost their chattel mortgages.
Station agent, Covert built a large two story building on Main street in the summer of 1887 to be used for a store below. He immediately sold it to John Kendall who put in a fine stock of drugs and it was run by Dr. Alva Randall for some time.
The Dramatic Club reproduced their play “Among the Breakers” by popular request April 5 1887. The proceeds were given to aid in building a sidewalk from the depot to Main Street.
The Odd Fellows carpeted their hall in 1887.
Cal. Bateman’s fine dwelling house at port Emma was built in the fall of 1887. It is now owned and occupied by Sol. Waiste, a well to do and industrious Finlander farmer, who has always kept the place in as good shape as when purchased from Mr. Bateman.
We notice in a Ludden Times the wedding announcement on November 30th, 1887 of Miss Minnie Marsh and Wm H Bush and a list of the many beautiful and useful presents with names of the donaters.
The first postmaster in Ludden was Ogden Lovell.
F. A. Shaw built and owned the first meat market. He hauled the lumber from Ellendale with a yoke of oxen and after he was thru with them, killed them and sold the meat in his shop. The building changed hands many times before it came into the possession of L. A Samson. On being sold by him it was renovated and lost its identity as a butcher shop before it was finally bot by the Wisenor family in 1907.
Mrs. Barney Adamson was the first, and for some time the only white woman between Ordway and Bear Creek. One day on looking out she saw on the top of a big snow bank, about a dozen Indians standing in their snow shoes. They appeared to be much interested, and were talking and gesticulating in a lively manner. Mrs. Adamson was much alarmed and hastily sent her little daughter, Anna out in a toud about way to tell Mr. Adamson, who was in the barn to hasten to their aid.
The first house in this township was built on Section 18-129-59 by Maj. Ogden Lovell and he of course ploughed the first furrow, his brother, Egbert following right behind him. He also dug the first well in this township.
In 1887, R.O. Smith (bachelor at this time) was the first mail carrier between Ludden and Ellendale, and E. R. Kennedy carried the mail between Ludden and Ordway.
This same year Ludden elevated its mind with a Historical society also a Literary society and we read in an old paper about “The Choral society,” formed at the Moiser House with a membership of 40. The fees of the gentlemen were $.50 and the ladies were to pay by their pleasant company. The president was Editor Ellis and vice-president, Mrs. W. H. Marsh. C. S. Brower secretary and treasurer, W. H. Marsh director and J. A. Pettibone assistant director.
This is the way one of the ads ran in the Ludden Times in 1887: “John Kendall does not stop for honey-moons but sells more lumber in a day then any other dealer in a week.” This implied that he had just been married and later I heard a little incident concerning Mr. Kendall, to this effect: that after the wedding, his friends wishing to show their appreciation of the event adjourned to his premises bearing a generous keg of whiskey and armed with tin pans, horse fiddles and all the attributes of a first class chivalry, surrounded the house and invited him out. Of course he was expecting something of the kind, and at once appered with a huge tin washboiler and was soon making more noise than anyone. He also had a whistle that helped the din along. The guests at last got tired of their fun and dispursed to their homes.
Miss Annie Foley was employed in Mrs. Cowan’s dressmaking establishment in 1887. Mrs. Cowan also was the owner of a millinery and department.
F. E. Randall had a rug on exhibition at his store in 1887 made by Mrs. F. E. Randall. The rug was very artistic and beautiful.
Miss Minnie Marsh had an ad in the Ludden Times in the early days: “Ludden on the Jim. The future Metropolis of the James River Valley.”
Ludden is situated in the center of the finest portion of the James River Valley. It is located on the Chicago and North Western railroad thirty miles north of Coulmbia and twenty five south of La Moure on the Northern Pacific railroad, twenty miles east of Ellendale on the Milwaukee and St Paul railroad and fifty west of Milnor on the Wadena, Gergus Falls and Black Hills railroad. Thus situated it has a section of county to draw from and is capable of supporting one of the best towns in the territory. The soil of the surrounding country is a deep black with a clay subsoil and is capable of yielding immence crops of small grains. No stones, no stumps to bother the farmers; but a slightly undulating expanse of fertile prairie. Altho but three years old, the country is thickly settled with the most enterprising inhabitants of Michigan, Illinois, Iowa and New England, who are fast putting under cultivation every acre of their quarter sections. Lots in the new town are selling very rapidly to parties who intend erecting substantial buildings for business purposes, as the importance of this as a trading center is fully realized by all. Parties wishing to receive locations for business purposes should hasten to make their selections at once before the best lots are bot by speculators.
Terms: The company’s terms are for corner lots $150: inside lots $125: one third of the price cash down, the balance in one or two years at eight per cent interest. C. S. brown, Townsite agent.
Miss Grace Dena Carleton taught the Port Emma school in the spring of 1887.
M. L. Samson supplied the city with mild in 1887.
In 1887 people were moving buildings into town.
Below is Ludden’s greeting of sister town of Guelph: Guelph, alias thatherville, alias coldwater, alias thather, alias Centralia, alias centropolis, alias centers and very near alias church, now goes on the records as Guelph: to grow and flourish under that name.
Deap snows deterred travel in 1887, during the month of March.
People farmed with oxen a great deal in 1887.
In 1887, T. W. Bush had a soil in court against John Brown that occasioned considerable interest.
In January 1887, a transient in the town, Prof. Johnson got up a consert of about 10 voices that was considered the best of the kind even heard in town. Among the singers were the following: Miss Moshier, Miss Watson, Miss Haffiss, Miss McCarthy, Mrs. F. E. Randall and the Misses Trauger and Bohannan who were most particularly mentioned.
The grain buyers in Ludden in 1887 paid higher prices for high grades than any town around.
The Account of a Blizzard January 12th 1888. “The worst storm which has ever passed over this section of Dakota in the memory of the oldest inhabitant raged from 10 o’clock Thursday morning until daylight Friday. It was a blizzard in every sense of the word. Thursday morning was bright and warm without much wind, until 9 o’clock when a light breeze sprung up from the northwest and a little snow began to fall. The wind gradually grew stiffer and the snow thicker until about 10 o’clock without warming the sky grew almost as black as night and a dense mass of soft wet snow swept the prairie with terrific fury. The wind continued to increase in strength until it reached its maximum about five o’clock in the afternoon, while the mercury continued to drop until it registered thirty-five degrees below, Friday morning. Friday was very cold and the atmosphere quite thick. It is feared that many accidents are to be reported.” Where is the person who said he wanted to see a blizzard?
“M. W. Boyce traveled around his house two hours before he found it.
J. H. Covert spent the night in the depot in preference to struggling with the blizzard.
Judson McCarty started home a short time before the storm and grave fears are entertained for his safety.
Geo. W. Johnson is in town looking for Egbert Wildins who left his place just before the storm and has not been heard of since.
Mr. Moslander who started to walk home during the blizzard was found in a bewildered condition near the school house several hours later. He remarked that the weather was quite stormy.
The school children were taken from the school house in the afternoon by a large relief party of citizens. A man was stationed every ten feet across the vacant space in front of the school house and the children passed safely across this dangerous spot.
Mr. Callum started from the depot to go to J. H. Covert’s house about four o’clock and brot up against Bohannan’s clothes post. Finding a clothes line handy he made one end fast to the post and then went as far as the line would permit, making that end fast to the nearest object, he returned and released the first seining around until he could fasten that end. By repeating this operation many times he reached the Hamilton house where he passed the night.
The first report of loss comes from Hitchcock. The body of an unknown man being found on the prairie near town.
The passenger train was laid off at Redfield to prevent the danger of being stuck between stations.
All the steam whistles were kept blowing in Huron all day and night to aid bewildered travelers.
It was a blizzard pure and undefiled.
Under the Snow.
It was hoped that Ludden would not have to add any names to the long list of losses during the terrible storm of the 12th; but as day by day goes by and no word is heard of Egbert Wilkins who was known to have been out in the storm, hope is turned into the conviction that under a snow bank somewhere his body is lying, as cold as the white mantle which covers it. About 8 o’clock on the memorable Thursday morning Mr. Wilkins left the home of Geo. W. Johnson who lives just at the foot of the hills to walk to this place to attend a contest case which was set to come off before C. S. Brown that day. He had a team but thinking he could make better time afoot started in that way. He was to stop and get Mr. Fawcett who was one of his witnesses; but he never reached Mr. Fawcett’s house nor has any word been heard of him since. Searching parties have scoured the country in all directions but find no trace besides a few foot prints in the hills which might possibly been made by him. Mr. Wilkins was a single man and has no relations in this part of the country. He has been a resident of Ludden for about a year, attended strictly to business and was well liked by all who had dealings with him.”
A prairie wolf was seen near the school house March 1888.
Strawberries were plentiful at the east hills in 1888.
There were 60 children enrolled at the town school in 1888.
December 17th, 1888, the people all met at the residence of C. B. Hale and from thence wended their way to the church heavily armed with substantial goodies cooked and uncooked and proceeded to “pound” the new preacher and wife Rev. and Mrs. Vaughn. The affair was a surprise and a complete success. A fine supper was served, and music singing and speeches kept every one interested. Rev. Tyrrell addressed the people and with Mr. Maxon, Major Lovell, Mr. Gilbert Greenwood and Prof. Eaton kept all in hilarity. Mr. Vaughn and his wife expressed their thanks for the kindness of the people and all went home well pleased with the evening.
All of the 1888 generation will remember that memorable “Leap Year Ball” given June 15th at the residence of Mr. Berger, four miles south west of town.
The C & N.W. railroad finished their road from Columbia to within one mile of Bear Creek and the time table took affect September, 6th 1888. A box car was used as a depot until the regular depot was completed.
Rev. Mr. Gilbert was the M. E. pastor in 1886, and 1887; and a talented and able preacher that all enjoyed listening to. He talked from a text that one could remember long afterwards.
Over 200 workmen were working on different kinds of work in Ludden in 1887.
Club danced were the order of the night in 1886-1887-1888.
Apples were $2.50 per barrel in Ludden in 1888.
Searching parties were constantly hunting for Egbert Wilkins from the time of the blizzard January 12th, 1888 until April when he was found in the Hillock farm southeast of town.
June 1st 1888 Wallace Walker made a crack shot killing six skunks at one shot with a rifle. The same month as Prof. Eaton was driving to town from his farm a stray bullet hit one of his horses, tearing off hair and some flesh and hide. No one could be seen and it was thot, the bullet must have traveld a mile and so of course was nearly spent or the damage would have been greater. There were many conjectures at the time but it has been since learned for a fact that the ball was fired at a bird on short range, and without a thot of danger to human life and it was Wallace Walker who fired the shot but was a terribly scared boy for weeks and did not tell about it for a long while.
July 21st, 1888 was a day long to be remembered by Luddenites. About 75 friends and neighbors of Mr. And Mrs. Chester Bateman appeared in the afternoon at their house and completely surprised them. They were well laden with appetizing eatables, lemons for lemonade and ice cream packed in cool freezers. Every one went there for a good and after visiting they began to affect their appetites, a sumptious supper was partaken of and to finish the festivities a lively game of ball took place in which the ladies distinguished themselves as usual. Four innings were played. It began Saturday night, all returned to their homes early pronouncing the party a success and wishing they might soon have another one.
During the summer of 1888 B. L. Adamson was relieved of two sets of new harnesses by theft. The thief was never heard from.
Bertie Greenwood clerked in F. E. Randall’s general store in the summer of 1888.
Strichnine was dealt out free to Luddenites in 1888 for the purpose of killing gophers.
Horse racing was one of the principal sports in Ludden in the early days.
Miss Grace Carleton and Miss Vinnie Hall left Ludden in July 1888 to enter the “Pioneer Press” office at Aberdeen S.D. as compositors.
Mr. Devlin erected a swing near the depot in the summer of 1888, that afforded amusement for the boys and girls great and small.
John Kendall sold his fast horse Kittie, on Wednesday August 1st 1888 to Newark parties after having distinguished herself at a race a few days previously.
The Ludden meat shop as is quite common elsewhere, changed owners real often.
IN August 1888 Hon. O. S. Gifford who was the delegate to Congress from Dakota at this period, presented the Ludden Literary society with a complete set of congressional reports, 17 in all, for the year of 1887.
Miss Julia Rivers taught the Ticeville school in the fall of 1888.
The Ludden M.W.A. of No. 123. was the first lodge in N.D. and was organized in the territorial days, December 7th, 1888, in the old Ticeville school house.
Wm. Greenawald built his residence called “Sunny Side Farm” in the fall of 1888.
Mrs. James B. Rowe was Post mistress at Ticeville in 1888.
Mrs. Nipher of Hecla taught music to a good large music class here in town during the summer of 1888 terms being 50 cts per lesson.
Randall Bros. Bot a livery barn of Halborn and Kemmerer in April 1888 which truly ran for a while.
An April 6th 1888 paper speaks of meadow larks and robins having made their appearance and wild geese flying north.
Quite a wreck was reported in April 1888 on the Manitoba railroad about six miles east of this place Freight and baggage went over an embankment. No one was hurt.
During the spring of 1888 Wm Robinson clerked in the F.E. Randall’s store.
Another drowning accident on the river occurred June 28, 1888, when John Pletcher met his death when crossing the river on the ferry, midway in the stream. It seems that he had a load of hay And had detached the horses from the load and was standing at their heads when the wind which was blowing, caused the boat to careen and take water. It filled at once and sank. The horses sprang into the water taking Mr. Pletcher with them. This lightened the boat so it again floated and the two men who were managing it, Perkins and Crow, still clung to it, and soon drifted to the old bridge and got up on it. Mr. Pletcher swam around awhile and finally stuck out for shore but was stopped in the rushes where he struggled and finally threw up his arms and sank to die. Large crowds immediately assembled and Perkins and Crow were saved and about two hours later the body of the deceased was found. He was buried in the cemetery near the spot where he met his death. The reason for having to use the ferry was the overflowing of the water on the approach to the bridge which abated in a short time so travel was again resumed.
Samuel Case’s little girl was dangerously ill with spinal mengitis in the fall of 1888.
W. B. Allen started the cellar for his fine dwelling west of the M.E. church during the first of November 1888.
In November 1888 the population of Dakota was estimated at 700,000.
One of the pleasantest surprise parties of the season was given for Barnney L. Adamson and wife on the evening of November 20, 1888. A large number of people were in attendance.
The town pump was put in the well and filled up for public use the first week of September 1889.
Whooping cough was going the rounds in Ludden during the fall of 1889.
Petty thefts were very numerous in 1889.
A good many of the people who read this history will remember Hyde Parsons. One evening in the early days some one at the drug store traded him a chicken for some little article. He took his fowl, leaving the store, and for a safe keeping place put it in an old cyclone cellar; returning to the store. Soon he was inveigled into another trade, and the second time took a chicken in payment, and of course bore it out to the cellar; again returned to the store. Pretty soon another trade was in progress and again a chicken was received as payment and a third time he went out to the old cellar before he discovered that the boys had been stealing his one chicken and bringing it forward just in time to consummate each bargain.
Early settlers in Ludden and vicinity were all cultured, college people.
H. F. Eaton’s father visited here one summer during the early period and preached regularly at several appointments near here.
T. A. Chatfield was noted for making as fine icecream as could be found in the west.
T. W. Bush was thrown from his buggy November 1889, and had his collar bone broken.
John Kendall closed out his furniture store September 27, 1889.
Many wolves were seen near town in the early days.
Mr. Eugene Dunton of Ellendale and Miss Carrie Courtney of Ludden, were married at the residence of the bride’s parents, Tuesday morning January 1, 1889; the Rev. Cleworth afficiating. The happy couple took the Manitoba train at 11 o’clock for a short trip to St. Paul. The Times joins with the many friends in wishing them all the happiness possible.
There was talk about a new park one mile north and east of town many years ago but the subject was dropped.
Little Emily Covert fell from the top of the platform into Randall’s Hall on June 17th 1890, a distance of fifteen feet, and before the day was over, Frank Kennedy’s child fell from the same place.
Araminta G., wife of Frederick W. Tomlison, died in Ludden April 11, 1890 aged 40 years 10 months. The remains were taken to Sheepscott Bridge, Maine for interment.
Little Roy Trauger was very sick with whooping cough at this time October 1889.
In the July 19, 1889 edition of the Ludden Times we read the announcement of a severe fire which swept thru and destroyed the town of Ellensburg, Wash.
F. J. Rorapaugh purchased the Byon place two miles south of Oakes, during the second week of July 1889.
Miss Maggie and Cordelia Upp, of Lafayette, Indiana, visited their sister, Mrs. John Bales in the summer of 1889.
E. R. Kennedy was connected with the board of directors of the asylum in 1889 and accompanied by his daughter Emily went to Jamestown in July 1889.
Mr. Trauger was roadmaster in 1889.
There was a great deal of target practice among the young folks in the summer of 1889.
Dr. Daniels of Columbia was traveling dentist in Ludden in 1889.
Geo. Cochran was the genial clerk at the Commercial in the year of 1889.
We notice mention of Miss Minnie Glidden visiting Mrs. John Kendall July 30 1889; also the Misses Julia and Mamie Rivers visiting the whole week at Ellendale.
J. P. Perkins little girl received an ugly gash in the head from a window falling on her, early in August 1889.
Why that smile on Sam Case’s face? A girl-weighs six pounds born September 9 1889.
D. N. Bailey’s stock farm was north of Ludden on which he was proud to show you his herd of Jersey cattle, the best in this part of Dakota.
B. L. Adamson and O.B. Willard owned a fine bred of Durhams and were envied by many. Duke of Oakdale was star of his herd, imported and registered in book No 56423. This was considered one of the finest hers in this section of the country.
H. F. Eaton took first premium on a yearling Durham bull at the Dakota state fair at Aberdeen. Mr. Eaton owned a very extensive herd and was in the business for many years.