BIOGRAPHIES SURNAME "J"
Reared in the land of hills and heather, John Jackson remained there until twenty-three years of age, when the reports which he heard concerning the opportunities of the new world led to his determination to try his fortune on this side the Atlantic. He came alone to America and made his way to Bismarck, North Dakota. Soon afterward he became identified with the sheep and cattle industry there, working for others for four years, on the expiration of which period he purchased a homestead right in Emmons county, North Dakota, where he lived for fifteen years. In 1899 he came to Emmet county, Iowa, after having paid a visit to his old home in Scotland. The following spring his mother, two brothers and two sisters came to the United States, two older brothers having previously crossed the Atlantic. All went to North Dakota and with the exception of Mr. Jackson of this review none of the family ever became residents of Iowa. His father had died in Scotland in 1896 ere the mother and four children came to the new world. Mrs. Jackson still makes her home in Bismarck, living with her son Hugh, and is enjoying good health at the age of eighty-three years.
After taking up his abode in Emmet county, Iowa, John Jackson joined Benjamin Allen in the purchase of land in Twelve Mile Lake township. Seven years later they divided their land interests, Mr. Jackson becoming the owner of the east half and the southwest quarter of section 23. Since that time he has sold one hundred and sixty acres but still retains the east half of the section, upon which his son, Charles P. Jackson, now resides. It constitutes a valuable property of three hundred and twenty acres of rich Iowa farm land which he converted into very productive fields, annually gathering therefrom abundant harvests as a reward for the care and labor bestowed upon the land. He also added many substantial improvements to the place in the way of good buildings, well kept fences and modern machinery and his progressive farm work made him in time one of the men of affluence of Emmet county.
On September 5, 1887, Mr. Jackson was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Keith, a daughter of Archie and Kate (McArthur) Keith, natives of Scotland, where they passed away, the mother in 1870 and the father in 1901, never having come to the United States. To their union were born nine children. Following the death of his first wife Mr. Keith married Mary Quantin and they became the parents of five children, of whom two survive. Six of the children of the first marriage are still living but Mrs. Jackson is the only one who has come to the United States. Mr. and Mrs. Jackson have two children. Charles P., who is farming the old home place in Twelve Mile Lake township, was married September 18, 1912, to Miss Mabel Andahl, a daughter of George and Anna Andahl, of the same township, and to this union has been born a son, Bernard Francis, whose natal day was June 17, 1916. Janet K. was married on the 26th of November, 1913, to Arthur Andahl, who is also engaged in farming in that township, and they have a daughter, Goldie May, born October 20, 1915.
Mr. Jackson continued upon the farm until 1912, when he put aside the cares of business life and established his home in Wallingford, where he is now comfortably located. He gives his political endorsement to the men and measures of the republican party and he and his wife are consistent members of the Presbyterian church, their well spent lives having gained for them the goodwill and kindly regard of those with whom they have been associated.
Source: Page 380 of
A Record of Settlement, Organization,
Progress and Achievement -
The Pioneer Publishing Company,
DR. ABIA COMLY JOHN
He was born 28 December 1831 in Pennsylvania and died 19 April 1899.
He is listed in the Emmons County 1890 Federal Veterans Census.
He enlisted in Jordan, Illinois on 9 July 1861 as a Private and mustered in Company A, Illinois 34th Infantry Regiment on 7 September 1861. He was promoted to Full Hospital Steward on 23 December 1861. He reenlisted in September 1864 after his three year commitment and then mustered out at the end of the war on 12 July 1865 at Louisville, Kentucky. He started receiving a pension in Dakota Territory on 2 December 1889 and then his wife Kate started receiving his pension on 13 September 1899 in Illinois.
He moved to Emmons County in 1883 and secured a land patent in Section 10, Township 129, Range 77 (Dale area).
He is listed in Headstones Provided for Deceased Union Civil War Veterans, 1879-1903 which indicates he was buried in Riverside Cemetery, Sterling, Illinois. Obituary and Picture of Tombstone.