Hunger Cemetery

Brightwood Township, Section 27

Foundation of a Small Church

View of Lake Elsie from the Hunger Cemetery

View of The Hunger Cemtery From The Gravel Pit Road

Photos by Pat Maas & Gerard Schildberger



The information below was taken from page 319 of the History of Richland County Book

The Hunger Cemetery was named after Edward Hunger. Edward was said to have made the first map of Richland County! His favorite farm was just west of Lake Elsie, the hills on the property were called "Hunger Hills". He was buried on that property on the crest of the highest hill as he had requested. His body was moved to the cemetery in town some years later.
Some of Edward's endeavors were owning a restaurant in Berlin (later named Great Bend, ND), being a farmer, going to Business College in St. Paul, MN and being a Clerk of Court in Wahpeton, ND. He also had a general store in Hankinson and established the Citizens National Bank in Hankinson.

At the time of his death in 1916 he owned four thousand acres in North Dakota of which twenty-seven hundred acres were in Richland County. He also owned a good deal of city property and land in Montana.


WORK IN PROGRESS
NAME BIRTH DEATH PHOTO Photo
BAKER, Elizabeth 8 July, 1870 29 June, 1902 Photo Photo
DUNHAM, Lemuel 42 years 31 Jan., 1890 Photo //
SIMPKINS, Sarah Coppin 18 JULY, 1866 17 Oct., 1904 Photo Photo
Top Stone Could Not Read // // Photo //
Bottom of Stone // // Photo //

Last Updated: 8:02 AM 4/25/2009

Transcription by Pat Maas
Photos are for personal research use only.
Copyright 2006 Pat Maas

Return to Cemetery Index
Richland County, NDGenWeb