The Bethany Evangelical Lutheran Church located east of Hatton, has been a definite influence in the life of the Hatton community, having joined the St. John Congregation in 1903, to form the present parish.
This congregation was organized May 27, 1887, in the H. G. Braaten home. Charter members were H. G. Braaten, Nils G. Lillermoen, John Sevenson, M. E. Soliah, Charlie Lomin, Halvor L. Lee, Peder P. Lomin, Clement Gulicks and T. C. Kopseng. The first secretary was T. C. Kopseng; Clement Gulicks and Martin Soliah, the first trustees; Halvor Lee, the first deacon; and H. G. Braaten, the first custodian. The church was built in 1890, and has continued to serve the congregation. A number of improvements have been made during the years. A new narthex, and Sunday School rooms were added in 1962.
The first pastor was Gustav C. Gjerstad who served from 1885 to 1892. Others to serve this congregation include Laurits T. Kringle, Hans Hjertas, Peter R. Syrdal, Martin Romstad, T. T. Thornhorn, O. L. Jenson, S. D. Fauske, R. S. Aanestad, Leonard T. Thompson and the present Pastor, Reuben B. Jacobson, Jr., who came in August, 1972.
The present congregation consists of sixty-one families. Among the organizations active in the church are the Ladies Aid, the Sunday School and the mixed chorus.
From: YESTERYEARS IN TRAILL, A History of Traill County, North Dakota, 1976. Contributed by Gerry Forde Mohn
Bethany Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery