CUMMINGS FREE CHURCH
AFFILIATES WITH EVANGELICAL
CHURCH OF AMERICA
Cummings, North Dakota
The history of the first church at Cummings dates back to
the year, 1885. Reverend C. H. Phillips of Virginia came to
Dakota Territory as a missionary. The first church was a Congregational Church, which was organized by E. M. Upon, E. A. Smith, F. A. Kindred, W. J. Burnett and Frank Crane.
Reverend Phillips was pastor of the church for ten years. Around 1939, the building was purchased by the women of the Cummings community for purposes of conducting a Sunday School and for holding Ladies Aid meetings. In 1954, the Cummings Community Sunday School purchased the building from the Ladies Aid members, and in the summer of 1958, that group became affiliated with the Evangelical Church of America.
Reverend Earl Eveland was called as the first pastor of this newly organized group, and shortly following this, the old church was torn down and new structure erected. This building was dedicated in May 1959. Reverend Eveland served the church for nine years, living in Hillsboro, during his stay. Reverend Dean Johnson was then called as pastor, and served the church for two years. Reverend Johnson also lived in Hillsboro while serving the church in Cummings.
Reverend Don Matheson came to the area in 1968, and is presently  serving the church as pastor. In 1972, the church purchased a parsonage in Mayville, where Pastor Matheson and his family now reside.
Just this year, a new sanctuary is being added.
From: YESTERYEARS IN TRAILL,
A History of Traill County, North Dakota, 1976.
Contributed by Gerry Forde Mohn.