TRAILL COUNTY PIONEERS FORM
HIGHLAND LUTHERAN CHURCH
Cummings, North Dakota
It was at a meeting at the Ole Lilleberg home on December 8, 1879 that a group of pioneering Traill County farm people who had settled in what is now Ervln Township organized Highland Lutheran Congregation.
Charter members who signed the congregation role as an outgrowth of that first meeting were Mr. and Mrs. Ole Lilleberg
and family, Mr. and Mrs. George S. Lilleberg and family, Mr. and Mrs. Elias Lilleberg and family, Mr. and Mrs. Christofer Tronson and family, Mr. and Mrs. Gulbrand Nielson and family, Mr. and Mrs. John K. Alstad and family, Mr. Tollef Finniseth [Finneseth], Mr. Andrew Iverson, and Mr. Christian Sandvig, Mr. John E. Lllleberg, and Mr. Halvor Smette.
The first pastor of the congregation was Reverend B. J. Harstad, who served between 1879 and 1884 in the parish which included Highland, St. Olaf, Hillsboro and Gran Churches. Later the parish was changed to include Highland, Walle, and Rosendal churches with Reverend S. O. Braaten serving from 1884 to 1920. Another change was made in 1920, when Highland, Buxton, Hyllestad, North Praire and Norway became the churches in the parish. They were served by Reverends J. C. Hjelmervig and B. M. Lokkesome in the years 1920 to 1922.
From 1922 to 1925, Reverend Carl Stromme served the parish consisting of Highland, Salem, St. Petri, and Scandia Congregations. They were served by Reverend O. H. Brodland from 1925 to 1939. Reverend H. M. Finstad from 1940 to 1946, and Reverend O. A. Lee from 1947 to 1955. Then it was changed to include Highland, Immanuel at Buxton, and Norway (Hillsboro). They were served by Reverend John Kronlokken, 1955 to 1957. Reverend Elmer O. Anholt from 1957 to 1965, and Reverend Fred S. Crozier from 1965 to 1969.
In 1970, the parish was changed to the way it is presently (1976), with Immanuel, and has been served from that time to the present by Reverend Floyd R. Anderson.
The church structure was built in 1895, and the first meeting in the new church was on July 21, 1895. Later, a basement and other improvements and additions were made.
The Church today, has about 150 members.
From: YESTERYEARS IN TRAILL,
A History of Traill County, North Dakota, 1976.
Contributed by Gerry Forde Mohn.