NORMAN LUTHERAN CONGREGATION
WORSHIPS IN SOD HUT, 1882
Clifford, North Dakota
The Norman Lutheran Congregation was formed on May 29, 1882, in a sod hut owned by Knut Lokkensgaard. In 1886, the congregation decided to build a church in Clifford, and work was begun in May, 1890. Dedication was on June 23, 1891. The first resident Pastor was G. G. Beito.
In 1894, the Norman Congregation bought land for a parsonage. In 1896, the parsonage was built, and in 1913. it was enlarged to meet the needs of the Turmo family. A basement was also built under the church at this time.
In 1914 the English language began to be offered in confirmation class, and in 1919. the members voted to have one-third of the services in English.
On April 10 1935, three years after the congregation's 50th Anniversary, the church burned to the ground, while the Ladies Aid was in session. Oniy a few things were saved. Under Pastor Brudvig's leadership, the basement was rebuilt and was ready for use on Christmas Day, 1935. The cornerstone for the new church was laid September 27, 1936, but due to financial problems of the depression, the church was not completed until 1949, under the leadership Pastor R. E. Ylvisaker.
The present Pastor is Roger C. Paulson, who was called to serve the parish in February, 1972. The membership of the congregation is about 175 confirmed and 220 baptized.
From: YESTERYEARS IN TRAILL, A History of Traill County, North Dakota, 1976. Contributed by Gerry Forde Mohn