NY STAVANGER CHURCH
BUILDS IN 1949
Buxton, North Dakota
The Ny Stavanger Lutheran Church was organized on December 20, 1948. The first officers were as follows; Gustav Gunderson, president; Martin Asheim, vice-president; Mrs Obert Hettervig, secretary; Joel Rogenes, treasurer; Christ Knudsvig, Sven Hegland and Anton Rogenes, trustees; Ludvig Knudsvig, Ole S Olson and Peder O. Asheim, deacons; and Mrs. Ole S. Olson, organist. Reverend Otto Brustad was the first pastor.
The church building was constructed in 1949, and an addition was constructed in 1973.
The present officers are as follows: Julian Harstad, president, Gerald Knudsvig, vice-president; Ronald Harstad, secretary; Joel Rogenes, treasurer; Gordon Gunderson, Christ Knudsvig and Anton Rogenes, trustees; Ruben Gunderson, Alfred Hanson, and Karsten Grundyson, deacons, and Mrs. Grundyson, organist.
The present membership is fifty, and Reverend Rodney Stueland is presently serving the congregation and, also, the Valley Free Lutheran Congregation at Portland, North Dakota. The congregation is a member of the Association of Free Lutheran Congregations which has its business offices, Seminary, and Bible school at Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Mrs Daniel Boron, the daughter of Mr and Mrs Julian Harstad. together with her husband and daughter, are presently serving as missionaries with African Inland Mission in Africa
From: YESTERYEARS IN TRAILL, A History of Traill County, North Dakota, 1976. Contributed by Gerry Forde Mohn