RINGSAKER LUTHERAN FREE CHURCH
DATES BACK TO 1891
Rural Buxton, Belmont Township
The Ringsaker Lutheran Free Church was organized in 1891 with the leadership of Rev. C. Saugstad. A tract of land for the building and cemetery was purchased from Robert Ray. The church building was constructed in 1892 at a cost of $4,240. The parsonage, built in conjunction with the Climax and Sandhill Congregations were: Knute Renslen, E. O. Myrland, Ole Vettern, A. Arneson, Ole Rust, T.H. Thompson, Knute Rauk, S. K. Knutson and Martin Thompson. T. H. Thompson was its first secretary and he served until 1936.
The first church building was destroyed by a tornado on July 15, 1902. For fifteen years services were held in the Belmont schoolhouse. A new church was constructed on the same site, in 1918. Pastors who have served the Ringsaker Congregation are, in the order of their service:
H. J. Villesvik, C. K. Ytrehus, J. H. Brono, O. N Bergh, H. H. Winter, L. Peterson, C. J. Christianson, Karl Stromme, C. J. Carlsen, and L. B. Sattern. Rev. N. C, Anderson is the present pastor. The Ringsaker Congregation is now affiliated with the American Lutheran Church.
The Ringsaker Ladies Aid was organized June 30, 1892, at the Ole Engen Home (which later became the S. J. Nesvig farm). Mrs. Mary Cooper was chosen its first president, Mrs Sigrid Thompson , Secretary and Mrs. Maline Engen, Treasurer. The first years of this organization, the ladies worked in two groups, the South and the North Ladies Aid, because of the distances involved and limited means of transportation. In the fall of 1920 the two groups united as one Ladies Aid.
During the years the women of the church, sewed, crocheted, and knitted. Their first auction was held November 5, 1892, with S. K. Knutson the auctioneer. A sum of $283.55 was raised. Through the efforts of the Ladies Aid the church received its furnishings. The tornado resulted in the complete destruction of the church property. True to their pioneer spirit, the ladies helped rebuild and equip the new church. They also contributed to missions and other charitable organization, and were primarily dedicated to the spreading of the Gospel
From: YESTERYEARS IN TRAILL, A History of Traill County, North Dakota, 1976. Contributed by Gerry Forde Mohn