Grandin Centennial 1881-1981
which includes Grandin history and biographies.
This town was in both Traill and Cass Counties. This Great Northern Railroad townsite was founded in 1880 in the northwest quarter of section 3, 143, 50, Kinyon Township, Cass County, and was platted in November of that year by Comstock & White. The post office was established April 21, 1881 with John D. Taylor as Postmaster. Sometime before 1892 an addition was platted at the north edge of town called North Lindsey's Addition to Grandin, which was in the southwest quarter of section 34-144-50, Kelso Township, Traill County. GRANDIN became an incorporated village in 1926, and reached a peak population of 211 in 1980, although it showed an unofficial population of 318 in 1890. The elevation is 891, and the Zip Code is 58038. It was named for John Livingston Grandin of Tidioute, Pennsylvania, who was a pioneer in the oil industry in his home state, then acquired 72,000 acres of Red River valley farm land as a credit settlement with the Northern Pacific Railroad and became a leading bonanza farmer in Dakota Territory.
Grandin contemporary photos in Pictures of Small Towns in North Dakota
Please contact the County Coordinator if you have interesting additional items on the history of Grandin.